1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act III

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Having rested as much as they dare, with events continuing to move forward around them, the party eventually makes its way along the cold underground passages and back toward the ruins of the Temple of Gefjon. The fact that the party is one member short on the return trip is noticeable. Branwen follows closely behind Aliron, except when he moves ahead to scout. She hums to herself.

As the party moves down the final, long hallway that leads back to the temple, a new wrinkle arises. The party members who have scouted ahead to ensure the path is safe report activity within the temple. Voices were heard from the scouts' location in the tunnel beneath the temple cellar. Human voices, though making out individual words was impossible. Many of the voices are high, as of women or children.

Whoever is in the temple, it is not clear whether they know about the tunnel in the cellar, though given the great stone slab you moved to access it, the tunnel should be visible to any who have looked into the cellar, even briefly.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    Nihal likes this.
  2. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

I (attempt) to move silently to the entrance, to better hear the voices.

move silently [1d20+5] = 18+5 = 23

<a href=http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=showone&id=13753>move silently [1d20+5] = 18+5 = 23</a>
    The Unseen Servant

Listening for language and content of discussion, maybe take a peek out if they are distant enough.
    [I am commonly the scout, so I figured I'd post even before everyone is ready since that is what I would do. I still support finishing actII as the group needs though]

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  3. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Slipping up long enough to see the intruders, I quickly duck back into the tunnel, unseen.(hopefully)

Quietly, I move back to the group.

"We have visitors in the temple. I believe they are the children of Srilkind. Sent away by the adults, fearing some sort of attack.
    They are disorganized and seem barely in control, a older teen looks to be in charge.
    They seem to be uninjured, they seem to have been here over night at least, they have went back to Srilkind once and nearly was caught. I didn't hear by whom...or what might have caught them.
    I didn't think I should be the greeter of nervous human children. I look like a dark and seedy elf, and they are scared and could be sent to flight with very little motivation. Maybe even our pretty elfbird could send them in panic." I wink at Branwen.
    "They haven't noticed the entranceway to the tunnel...yet."
    "I think a less intimidating female might need to greet the children? Baldhart, you can be sweet but you can intimidate easily too. Maybe Lady Liadan might be best? Mauve might work too. But Keit, the wolf could frighten them.
    And as with all encounters outside we might want to keep Branwen hidden?"

"As rare a case can be, I think keeping weapons stowed might be best in this situation, even though I dislike it."

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  4. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

"Awwww, but-but-but… kids aren't afraid of me. You should've seen them when I stepped off the boat! Maybe… umm… maybe I can follow behind, let Liadan take the lead?" I remove my skull helm and fix my hair.

5. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"Peasants? It's too soon!" I take a good look at myself, looking for details that would betray my use of the old craft. At least they're children. I like children. I take off my cloak and pass it over Branwen's shoulders, verifying if the fur is fluffy enough to conceal her wings.

"I like children, however, it does not mean they will not get frightened by me." I raise one eyebrow. "Given your reactions when we first met I am not the most likeable person around."

6. Legendary Sidekick

Peasants? I know what she's getting at.

"Oh, c'mon Mauve… you have a spear. You look like a warrior." Huntress is more like it, but she can't use a bow so forget that.

I take out my woad paint. "You can still borrow my make-up for effect, if you want." I dab my cheeks and run a finger across my lips.

I look at Branwen's chicken feet. "I don't suppose the magic slippers can fit over those, huh?" I imagine the slippers being punctured by the talons, then being torn to shreds as they lose their magic and revert to normal shape and size. "Nah…"

7. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

Aliron's report of children in the temple paint dark thoughts. I move forward, ease past the party and their discussion of acceptance, and climb back into the temple. There is some truth to their hesitancy. What remains of my cloak, I spread it over my weapons before entering the main lobby.

"Children. I am Ankari, sent by your priestess of Gefjon to this temple. What word do you bring from Srilkind.?"

8. Nihal

Nihal Vala

((Ninja'd, changed whole post. xD))

"What the hell? Stupid ranger!" I watch them moving ahead, tiptoeing after but stopping before the entrance. I wait anxiously, attempting to listen the villager's reaction.

9. Legendary Sidekick

((Un-ninja'ing Mauve))

"Of course Ankari rushes ahead while we attempt a five-minute discussion! Well, let's see how good he is with kids."

I follow, but let him speak first, mostly out of morbid curiosity.

'Sent by your…'—really! It's fine to lie to demons and monsters, but children? Oh well… united front, I suppose. Let's see how the kids react.

10. Steerpike

As soon as Ankari enters the main temple area where the children are gathered, the younger ones scatter behind a boy of about fifteen and a girl of about fourteen, who both stand protectively in front of them. The boy pulls a knife from his belt, though he grips it nervously.

"Is that one of them, Kolla?" he asks the girl.

"I think."

Baldhart steps up behind Ankari and the girl points. "That's definitely one of them."

The tension seems to drain out of the boy. "OK. You are the ones, then. Father Harald told us you would be here, but when we arrived..."

A more sullen boy, perhaps thirteen or fourteen years of age, steps away from the wall and joins the group. "I'll tell you the news in Srilkind. Goblins and worse sacked the place yesterday morning. Half of it is burned. And we're sitting here doing nothing."

The older boy scowls. "We were told to stay here. It's better for the adults to know we're safe than to have to watch after us in the midst of the battle."

The sullen boys looks like he's about to respond, but he clamps his mouth shut as more party members arrive. The younger kids remains behind the backs of their two protectors.

11. Legendary Sidekick

"We are not the ones you must fear. I am Baldhart Eisenberg, and I'll gladly tear apart those goblins. What of Arn and his wife, Hrolf, Grim…?

"Burnbright?"

Is she among the children? I shudder. If she's not…

12. Steerpike

The oldest boy nods at Baldhart. "We were set to take Burnbright with us, but they didn't want us to for some reason. They got her holed up in The Hooded Crow. When we got out of town yesterday, I stayed back and hid, just to make sure the rest of us weren't followed. The goblins were set to bust the Crow to kindling, but Grim opens up the front door. He had a knife and held Burnbright in front of him, with the knife up against her. He yelled at the goblins that he'd cut her throat and throw her body out in the street if they so much as raised one knife to the Hooded Crow. Why that would make the goblins stop, I don't know. But after that it was a standoff. The goblins got the Crow surrounded, and they've got a larger group kind of circling the town from outside. But they aren't doing anything, or at least they weren't last night. I left about the time it got dark and I could sneak away.

"Arn, and Hrolf? I can't say. I don't even know what happened to Father Harald after he gathered us all up and told us to come here. I figure Grim's got more people in the Crow than just him and Burnbright, though.

"You don't think he'd really hurt Burnbright, do you?"

The sullen boy sniffs "Why not? Ain't nothin' but a tavern whore. Or will be." The older boy glares at him.

A few of the smaller children begin crying as the boy recounts the tale. Kolla turns to soothe them.

13. Legendary Sidekick

((Coffee's done--heh heh, but don't let me stop you.))

"She'll never be a whore," I tell the boy. "Never!"

I assure the one who questioned the knife to the throat, "Grim saved her life with that bluff." To all I go on, "You are all helping to save her life by being here to tell us what you did."

I call out to the others, "Time to move!"

14. Nihal

Nihal Vala

As soon I hear the call I climb up. "What happened? Burnbright?" I look at the children, searching for her.

15. Steerpike

The oldest boy, who has been doing all the talking, says to Ankari and Baldhart. "I'm Egil, by the way. I guess I'm supposed to be the one looking after everyone. Well, me and Kolla."

He casts another glare at the sullen boys. "Don't worry about Skari. He's still sore on account of Burnbright's the one gave him that black eye. After Joffur talked him into grabbing her arse." Egil snickers. "I don't know where that girl learned to hit, but she laid him out good."

At this, Skari goes red in the cheeks and mumbles something beneath his breath, but says nothing in return.

When Mauve enters, Egil frowns. "How many did Father Harald say there were?" Mauve surveys the group of children, but does not see Burnbright among them.

Kolla, having quieted the younger children again, steps forward. "Can I ask what you're going to do? And should we stay here? Is it safe for us here?"

16. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

The blood throbs in my ear. There is a conflict ahead, and it will be decided with muscle, blood, and blades. Outside, the cool air cleanses the dankness of the tunnels below, filling my lungs with life.

Before we set out, I speak to Baldhart. "Let's keep this short. Do we bring these children with us, or do we leave them here and hope no ill visits them?"

As I speak, Matthew crosses my sight. Another idea forms. "Or do we keep Matthew here to guard them? That is the best course to take."

Ireth and Nihal like this.
  17. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I look at Baldhart and Ankari, feeling lost. "She's not here, is she?" I go down some steps into the cellar and call the others loudly. "Can someone pick up Branwen and make sure she's well covered? It's cold outside."

18. Legendary Sidekick

I laugh. "I trained her with a blade, but the girl was already strong before I gave her a lesson. No shame in it, Skari. I mean the black eye. I can't defend the arse-grab attempt. Sorry."

I show Kolla my helm. "See? It's one mark short of twenty kills. The goblins should help me with that. As for you… if we succeed, your home will be safe again. Safer than here." If Burnbright's not in Srilkind, Srilkind is safe. "Egil, you look strong. Perhaps you could organize the young ones to carry the hides of a six-legged beast we killed. Only take what you can without a struggle and if you tire, drop it. We'll come back for what you cannot move, but even taking one slab of scaly flesh would be a help. When we move I want you to lag behind and stay away from battle or the path the enemy will most likely take to retreat. Egil, Kolla, I'm trusting your judgment."

Ankari's right about Matthew. "Sir Matthew can keep you safe."

Mauve mentions Branwen. "This will help her." I give Mauve the ring.

"As for Burnbright, she's holed up in the tavern. Grim, the owner, bought some time with a bluff—threatening to kill her. No surprise the goblins backed down, but they have the place surrounded… at least that's how the kids last saw it."

19. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Raising an eyebrow, I give her a meaningful look, holding the ring on my open hand. Really?

Upon hearing about Burnbright I freeze. "Bluff?" My voice sounds bleak, but it's not even close to reflect what is growing inside me, I alerted them, and it happened exactly as predicted. Yet Baldhart still insists on believing in the good nature of those ignorant savages!

I lower my head; when I raise it again I ask, "How many horses do we have? These refugees brought horses too?"

20. Legendary Sidekick

Oh, I felt that look! "Well… it is cold. And yes, Bluff. You'll have to trust me when it comes to Grim, Arn and their wives, Hrolf and Father Harald. I know them well enough on that matter. When they see what a fine warrior you are, you'll know as well." If they're alive…!

Wha…? Horses?

Brynhild's boon would steady your sword arm. You'd do well in mounted combat.

Right… the next battle. A sacrifice… damn, I should make a list so I'm always three battles ahead. It's hard to think of new sacrifices. Can I count offering a plot of land to Cadell and Liadan?

They have to accept it.

Darn. Well, I'm one battle ahead with that one then. If…