1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act III

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 20, 2013.

  1. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    40
    28
    I groan as i come too, rubbing at my head and blinking away the stars that dance before my eyes. "Liadan . . .? Ugh what happened?"

    * * *

    Batos snaped at the two water demons before him, a threatening snarl rumbling in his chest as the water begins to run red with his blood. Not good -at this rate I might not even make it . . .

    Keitsumah . . . A resounding splash and a squeal has Batos jumping back in alarm as a rock sails down through the air and strikes one of the demons. One of the others must have thrown it, but Batos paid no further attention to his fallen enemy and instead attacked the other water demon while it was distracted:

    [​IMG]

    (that is just the roll i am leaving it at that -subtract 2 to get nine so im not sure if he did hit unless you add the three for str or two for cadell's song -GM's choice)

    (*puppy eyes* plz plz plz just let him hit and if he did it is below)

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    ((Ok here is the map. No, you haven't killed all the fish demons :) )).

    [​IMG]
     
  3. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    Baldhart yells out a warning to Aliron about the cave, then continues her climb, making it to within five feet of the top of the cliffs.

    Aliron scrambles down the rocky cliff-face to the cave that is beneath were he stood. The entrance is hidden by an outcropping of rock - it must have been chance that the fish demon climbing the cliffs stumbles into it. Aliron steps into the entrance, which is dark, the dim light filling the sky not penetrating within. His elven eyes adjust and he catches a brief glimpse of the second of the two fish demons turning a corner about ten feet in, heading to wherever the tunnel goes.

    Nissa lies up to the militia men, three of whom have returned with oil and crossbows. They pull up short when they see her. One of them touches his forehead in a sign to ward against evil and takes a step backward. A second simply gapes at Nissa, while the third numbly holds out a flash of oil.

    On the stairs, Liadan kneels beside Keitsumah and heals her. Smoke billows up from the flames below, and the entire wooden structure tilts another few inches as the flames below lick at the wooden support of the stairs. Gisla stops beside Liadan and helps Keitsumah to her feet as Hall covers them all from any attack.

    "Let's go," says Gisla. "These stairs could go down any minute, and I don't want to fight these damn things in the water."

    Bressel hurls a rock at the fish demon behind Batos. The missile strikes true, catching the fish demon in the head and driving it below the waves. It does not emerge again.

    Batos tries to bite at the fish demon in front of him, but the wolf finds it difficult to attack in the rise and fall of the ocean swells. The fish demon seems to have no such mobility problem, and easily dodges the bite, then lashes out with a claw and attempts to bite the wolf in return:

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16

    Bite Attack [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12

    With his reduced ability to move in the water, the wolf is unable to avoid either attack.

    Claw Damage [1d4+2] = 4+2 = 6

    Bite Damage [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7

    ((13 Damage to Batos)).

    Blood pools around the wolf in the water as he goes limp. Through her connection to the animal, Keitsumah can feel that he is still alive, but unconscious and bleeding out in the cold water. The fish demon hisses in satisfaction, then submerges beneath the waves.

    Aldar throws a rock of his own, angling it out over the stairs toward the fish demon nearest the flames. The rock strikes the fish demon on the head, and it spins once on its feet then tumbles sideways into the water, disappearing into the black.

    The remaining fish demons, having heard the call of their comrades that found the cave, dive into the water in that direction. They are quickly lost from view, though those looking down from above seen a few streak of movement below the surface, heading toward the edge of the cliffs and the cave Aliron entered.

    Ankari and Mauve enter town via the fastest route, which is the curving road. They see the commotion at the edge of the cliffs, the few party members standing there hurling rocks as some unseen foe, and see Nissa in corporeal form hovering above some of the town's guards. Smoke rises from beyond the edge of the cliffs, from the area of the stairs below, and the distant shouts of party members can be heard. The rest of the town looks deserted.
     
  4. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,531
    534
    113
    Aliron
    Continues to move silently after the demons, Both weapons pulled for dual wield backstab.

    ((If Aliron can catch up to them, he will attack. Not sure if I can move full speed quietly. If need be Aliron might have to move up to full speed to catch them. How often do I need to roll for move silently and how noisy are the demons? If they are loud I might not need to move silently. ))
    If I can attack I will:
    backstab Scimitar [1d20+7] = 1+7 = 8 ;damage [1d6x2] = 4x2 = 8 -3 for dual wield=miss (natural 1)
    Backstab longsword [1d20+6] = 4+6 = 10 ;damage [1d8x2] = 8x2 = 16 -6 for dual wield=4=miss.

    ((Maybe I didn't catch them. But I think Aliron is in trouble. what a time for the trip crits to reverse. 24 damage missed))

    Bressel
    Holding another rock, he watches for a target. As Baldhart's words soak in he screams to the militia:
    "Get to the children! The demons are going after them!"
    Baldhart drops the rock, and "scales climbable cliffs"(combat sense) down towards where Aliron went.((since Bressel can't see the entrance))
    ((When he gets to the cave entrance he will attack any fish demon there or will block the entrance with his axe ready. Not sure who will get to the entrance first.))
    ((He will "intimidate" when he gets there.))
     
  5. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,550
    313
    Liadan

    I look at Gisla when she speaks, then to the gap between us and safety. I move toward it when I am sure Gisla and Keit can follow.

    ((not sure if Keit will be willing to go just yet, since Batos is hurt.))

    Cadell

    I dismount Llucheden and lie flat on the cliff's edge, reaching my hand down to aid Baldhart if she needs it. I don't imagine those sea-washed stones are anything but slick.
     
  6. "Ok all, We need a plan and we need one now, What will we do? Get off the stairs now, Remember My rope is there for you all."

    I look to my right and see tar a fish demon is still there, He seems to be the only one in sight, I grab another rock and jog over a couple of feet, I size up the distance, should be no problem.

    [​IMG]

    ((Hit I think, Though Im not sure.))

    Damage roll.
    [​IMG]
    "Excellent!"
     
  7. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Baldhart

    I see Cadell. I refuse help, saying as I climb, "Save your strength to help those on the stairs!"

    I finish my climb, intent on getting everyone off the stairs—fast. I recall Batos jumped in the water, and fear there are too many steps to rescue him. I lack the healing skill needed to save him, while those who have it can't get to him quickly. I pray to Brynhild, grant me strength. Without my sword, my arms are only good for a rescue.

    "Gisla!" I call out. "Someone tie the rope around her. I'll pull her up."

    ((STR check for when Baldy can grab an end of the rope and move people. I don't know if that's this turn or the next.))
    [​IMG]



    Nissa

    A ward of evil? Really? What a pansy!

    "Thank you kindly," I say to the man who hands me the oil. I hold up the oil hoping the men know my intent. "I go to rescue the children of Arendal, as will you. Stay by the cliffs and shoot the demons. You are led by Gisla, so surely you know you have my Goddess' blessing. Protect the innocent. Vanquish the demons."

    I guess that's how a heavenly warrior's supposed to talk to a mortal. I'd rather just be myself… so hard to fit in. Maybe add clothing, lose the wings…? But, I really like the wings!

    As I soar to the cave, I warn Bressel, "Quickly. I'll blast so none follow you. If they're in first, don't follow them in!"

    As soon as I'm inside, I make sure Alin can catch the enemy before they can get to the children. If he's too slow but my wings are not, I'll race past and bomb, then fly back up for more oil.
     
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  8. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    470
    83
    Every sign points to an attack from the Sahuagin. I tap on Ankari's shoulder to make my change of direction known and nearly scamper towards the cliff. My former companions are presumably on the stairs to the docks. I avoid them, heading to its west.

    Upon stepping on the edge I reach for the stone knife and glance down to the sea, full of expectations.


    ((I think they weren't heading directly to the town, but trying to keep on its surroundings. In any case I don't know if Mauve can do anything else after reaching the edge. She's to the west of the stairs, that I believe would be located at the right side of it.))
     
  9. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,624
    885
    113
    From the number of people gathered at the docks, a sizeable assault threatens this town. Gisla is on a teetering stairs assisting a shaken Keitsumah. The druid is young. She probably sees color in shadows, and hope in hardened hearts.

    I push the thought from my mind, and focus on Gisla. The distance between us shrinks with each loping step, and the decision to blow the horn or warn her is still undecided. This land will know peace, even if I have to shove it down their stubborn throats.

    At the stairs, relent to the unreasonable voice. Even if they don't know it, Baldhart and Gisla owe me. "Gisla! I bring aid." I bring the horn between us. When her eyes lock on it, I point to the northeast. "They mean us no harm. Give me permission to summon them. This village is lost if you refuse."

    She is a veteran of war. Had the gnolls wished, they would have been behind me ready to smash us against the anvil of these fish demon invaders. Still, my free hand falls to my axe.

    Fish demons? What twist of fate hooked these monstrosities and pulled them onto our overladen deck?
     
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  10. senseiseth

    senseiseth Troubadour

    153
    11
    18
    Hall

    "All right, everyone's back, now move your hides! This thing is getting ready to come apart!" We make it across the gap and return to the others I notice the ones they call Alrion and Bressel are running to an unknown direction. I spot Aldar along the edge of the fjord.

    "Where are those two going?"

    I also notice two new people near Gisla...Tyr's sake, let's finish one fight before we get started with another. The curiosity of their identities intrigues me, but the paramount issue surpasses this urge.
     
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  11. "No idea, Those two always seem to be getting off to places alone I've noticed."
    I look around as well, Everything looks a bit better than an hour prior, We may even be able to survive this, We are one hell of a party.
     
  12. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Baldhart

    I reply, "Alin and Bressel are off to the caves to stop the fish demons from killing the children."

    I don't speak to Ankari directly. Let the militia avenge their priest or let Gisla accept his help. I'm here to protect the innocent, not arrogant morons who think they can murder one moment and make peace in the next. The damned dogs and Ankari have that in common.

    Instead I ask Hall, "Is there any chance you can grab my sword while I'm helping the women?"
     
  13. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    40
    28
    I gasp, clutching at my sides as pain suddenly lances through me from invisible wounds. Through my link to Batos, i sense his last struggle in the waters before he goes limp, and then darkness begins to press in on my vision.

    I whip around just in time to see another rock crash down on the other water demon, and am grateful, but my attention is on the still white form ringed by red. But i only have enough magic left to cast one spell. And if i am right, i am the only one who can trap the gnolls!

    "Liadan, Batos is bleeding out! I don't want to waste any more magic lest we need to capture the gnolls, but I can't . . ." I can't even finish my words and beseech her help wordlessly, eyes wide.
     
  14. senseiseth

    senseiseth Troubadour

    153
    11
    18
    I hear Kietsumah pleading with Liadan to save her wolf. "Liadan!" I say to her, "Get Keit out of here, she's still hurt and we'll need her to heal quickly for the gnolls." As I finish I rush to the edge of the stairs and prepare to repel over and plunge into the waters.

    I am sincerely not looking forward to the curglaff effect, but such is life.
     
  15. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    ((Moving on without a map for the moment. As much catching up as I have at work, if I wait to make a map it'll probably be tomorrow. Under the circumstances, though, I think going without a map will work)).

    Aliron moves down the hallway in pursuit of the fish demons. The air is cold and damp, and the creature leave the scent of week-old fish in their wake. Hurrying along in the darkness, Aliron manages to catch up to the fish demons, though by the time he does there is so little light that they're not much more than shapes in the darkness ahead of him. What light their is seems to come from their own bulbous eyes, which are lit dimly in the tunnel, though whether with their own light or reflection of what meager light exists in the tunnel is unclear.

    Aliron closes with the rear-most of the fish demons, the creature hearing him at the last moment. Aliron's attack as the creature steps instinctively to the side and spins. The foremost fish demon continues on into the darkness while his compatriot slashes and bites at Aliron:

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3

    Bite Attack [1d20+2] = 4+2 = 6

    The creature's attacks are ineffective, Aliron easily batting the clawed arm aside with the flat of his blade and dodging the bite.

    Outside, Bressel makes his way down to the hidden entrance as well. As he reaches it, he sees numerous fish demons - all of those who were in the waters below - emerge from the waves and begin scrambling up the rocks. They will reach the entrance to the cave in mere seconds ((i.e. next round)). From within the tunnel, the distant sound of battle reaches Bressel's ears.

    Up top, Liadan moves toward the gap between the stairs and land once she sees that Keitsumah is up and able to move. She reaches the gap without further difficulty, and for the moment the stairs seems steady enough, but with the flames burning below they could fall any time.

    "Let's go!" Gisla calls out to Keitsumah, making sure the other woman is able to move under her own power before sprinting the rest of the distance to the top of the stairs. When she reaches the top she sees Ankari and pulls up short. He calls to her, displaying the horn and offering aid. Gisla turns to view the smoke rising from the bottom of the stairs, then looks down, noticing for the first time the fish demons swarming toward the hidden entrance to the caves below Arendal. She turns back to Ankari: "The creatures have found the caves. Call them! Call your friends!"

    Cadell lays down to help Baldhart up the last few feet of the cliff, but the barbarian refuses the aid, telling Cadell to help those on the stairs.

    Aldar throws a rock toward the fish demon that was fighting Batos, but the rock misses and the fish demon is lost from view, last seen streaking beneath the waves toward its comrades climbing the cliff walls.

    Batos continues to bleed in the water, and to make matters worse, the unconscious animal lies mostly submerged in the cold waters, clearly unable to breath.

    Nissa arrives at the tunnel entrance, streaking ahead of Bressel to see whether Aliron has caught up to the fish demons. Carrying a flame with her, she illuminates her path as she goes, spotting Aliron locked in melee with one of the fish demons, though neither looks injured.

    Hall calls out orders. The militia men try to get a better position to attack the fish demons, but the shape of the cliffs makes it impossible for them. One of them yells out "They're in the tunnels. We've got to get people out!" And the militia men race back into the village proper.

    Mauve stops at the edge of the cliffs just west of the village. Looking out toward the docks, she sees the fish demons clambering up the cliffs, a few of their comrades still in the water below. Cold, salt wind bites at her. The sky is growing lighter.
     
  16. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    470
    83
    In order to succeed sometimes you must make sacrifices, you simply can't have everything. It's sad, yet it's the truth.

    I raise my eyes from the sea and take them away from the stairs where I've waited for the sunset. My hand is still on the stone knife. I unsheathe it, turning my wrist to expose the blade before my eyes. A quick pull releases my canteen. I bite the stopper and let the water flow over the blade and rush ahead, below, to the sea.

    My eyes follow it. I watch.


    ((Depending on our scaly friends' reactions, or the lack of them, Mauve will do different things. The fight is entertaining, but she'll not keep staring at it if nothing happens.))
     
  17. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Nissa

    "Two inside!" I say to Bressel. "Help Alin. If you're followed, I'll burn them!"

    I await the demons, ready to light the rag and toss the oil. Judging by the size of the last explosion, I know where to drop the bottle so the fire will block the entrance.




    Baldhart

    I want to toss that damn horn off the cliff, but Gisla wants murderous gnolls to swoop in, save us, pretend to be heroes… so be it. Just the same, I inform her, "We got men in the cave—and a valkyrie." As I reach to Gisla I tell those in my party. "Get up here! I can lower Liadan on this rope, but first, off the stairs before you fall and die!"

    I guess my sword will end up in the sea. I'll use my fists.
     
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  18. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,624
    885
    113
    Baldhart's face tells me all I need to know of her opinion concerning my assistance. What people raise their children to see the world in such clear contrast? Her hurtful pride can't be a concern of mine. Not yet. Perhaps afterwards I'll sit down with her. Even in this very village. How can they name me a murderer and a savior?

    "Warn your militiamen." I raise the horn to my lips, and blow a long and forceful note. The gnolls will help, but they'll need time. I unsling my bow, grab an arrow from my quiver and set it at the closest beaching fish demon. Seven arrows left. Why couldn't I have waited until after filling my quiver to kill that corrupt priest?

    "Anyone have spare arrows? I'll need them"

    ((If I can't attack now, use this crappy roll for next round.))

    [​IMG]

    ((Damage Roll. You know, salt in the wounds and such))

    [​IMG]

    I should talk less and aim more...
     
  19. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,550
    313
    Cadell

    When Baldhart refuses my help, I reach out to Liadan instead. She jumps across the gap and turns to Baldhart. I look between Ankari and Gisla, then out to the sea again, my mouth pressing into a thin line. I suppose my message from Ghendra is useless now thanks to Ankari's meddling. Even so...

    "The gnolls informed me they wish to search the village for Burnbright," I tell Gisla, now that I have the chance. "I was asked to warn you in advance, and let you know that the gnolls will not harm anyone if they are not harmed first, though they will be armed. If any gnoll dares harm a villager unprovoked, their leader promises to kill the offender himself. I believe he expects us to do the same on our side."
     
  20. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,531
    534
    113
    Aliron
    He fights the fish demon with only Celexa's schimitar. ((If I can hold the long sword and no use it and not have the penalties I will. If I can't hold it without having penalties, I'll drop it.))

    to hit Calexa's magic Scimitar[1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22 ;damage[1d6] = 5
    The cut lands solidly, Aliron spins ripping the blade from the wound as he dodges the beasts claws.

    http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=searchresults&pc=717
    ((This link shows all my rolls, does it work for someone not logged in?))

    Bressel
    Bressel scrambles into the tunnel but stops short, unable to see. Hesitates only a minute, then charges in further yelling:
    "Light it!"
    He stops a little further in, pulling a torch from his pack. Waiting for the oil to start a fire to light his torch from.
     
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page