1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act III

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 20, 2013.

  1. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Nissa

    "Thank you," I say to Gisla.

    I look at her bag. How much oil can the big people carry? More than half a halfling, to be sure.

    "I'll need more oil. Send a man down with a few bottles." I understand the fear, but I'll speak plainly to Gisla. She knows time is of the essence. "Be sure whoever you send to follow me understands who I work for. I don't need one who will bow or avert his eyes—just a man who will give me a bottle when I ask for it, and trust my intentions. A fast runner. I don't want him to engage the enemy."

    I don't wait for the man. I fly back to join Alin and Bressel, trusting Gisla knows it's best to keep me armed.

    When I get close to Alin and Bressel, I wave my torch in the demons' direction.

    "You shoot. I bomb."
     
  2. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    470
    83
    With my spear in one hand, the free hand raising the eyepatch I move towards Arendal. Being seen during this mess would be bad, being caught in the middle of it because I failed to spot the danger would be worse. It's still dark, and where there is darkness there is safety. I seek the deepest shadows, progressing on wary feet, throwing an occasional glance over my shoulder, ready to cover my left eye.

    That thought doesn't leave my mind.

    I keep toying with it, as I have since I decided my course of action. It wasn't properly an idea back then, it was more an urge, the acknowledgement that I would have to take precautions. One can never be too careful. I go through my memories as I move. It's not like I should fight anyway, use more magic would only land me in more troubles. She was right in that point, my body is weak. What would I do, watch the fight and get on the way? Get hurt and become a hindrance? Above all, I don't want to fight.

    I think in a different place. I believe I remember something... Aye, I know where I can find what I need. It's a wonder I didn't think of it before, every respectable mage should keep one. I take a small detour as I stalk towards the docks. They can wait a little longer.
     
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  3. senseiseth

    senseiseth Troubadour

    153
    11
    18
    The sound of the battle is growing, this isn't a simple raid anymore. I notice I might need some healing before I charge into another fight. I come to Liadan and Keit and ask for something to help the wounds before I return to the fray.

    ((If that's doable I'll head to where the others are heading and join the battle once more))
     
  4. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,531
    534
    113
    Aliron
    When Nissa returns Aliron stops going up the stairs, moving back to where he can see the tunnel, while kneeling. Arrow ready at the sight of the first fishman.

    Bressel
    Stops and moves back to offer his sword to protect Aliron while shooting.
     
  5. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    ((Nissa's readied action: bomb when the enemies rush out of the tunnel. Of course, she needs to really drop on the first so she doesn't get clobbered. All she can do is hope others follow closely enough.

    I'm not sure what the blast radius is, but I believe Nissa knows by now.

    If 9 squares, she waits where she can be seen from the tunnel entrance, and hits the square just left of the entrance. She'll drop, then fly to a wall as the bottle falls.

    If different, please adjust her plan in a way that fire blocks the entrance and she also doesn't hit friendly targets.))
     
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  6. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,624
    885
    113
    ((Am I able to climb down the cliff?))

    The sea spits a group of demons from its dark belly. I set one of the three remaining arrows and shoot.

    [​IMG]

    ((Damage))

    [​IMG]
     
  7. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    [​IMG]

    ((NOTES: I made the map over lunch, and I had a different image for the fish demons saved on my computer. The monsters haven't changed; they are the same fish demons. Also, with respect to Nissa, there wasn't time for her to talk to Gisla, look through Gisla's pack, fly back to Aliron and Bressel, and ready attack before the fish demons closed the last 30 feet or so into the room, so she's en route and as you will see below she's arriving just as the fish demons enter.

    Also, I'll clarify the grappling rules this evening when I have the book in front of me. A grapple is not a damage-producing attack. I know Baldy is trying to hurt the fish demons, so instead of a grapple I'm interpreting it as an unarmed attack. I think that's probably what was intended, but I wanted to clarify in case I'm reading it wrong.

    As for climbing down, to get to the fish demons in one round you have to climb quickly, and I need a roll (DEX) unless you are a Barbarian. Climbing down carefully won't require a roll but it will take you one additional round to get to the fish demons.

    Also, the fish demons climbing the cliff do not get their full complement of attacks this round since they had to make it up to the ledge)).


    As the fish demons surge upward, Baldhart climbs down among the rocks to meet them. She hits the ledge just an instant before the first of the fish demons pulls itself up. Another rises next to it, and still another a few feet to Baldhart's left, at the other side of the ledge. Two other fish demons are still a few feet below the level of the ledge.

    Baldhart strikes out at the closest fish demon, striking it hard enough to damage the creature and attempting to shove it back into its fellows.

    STR Check [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21

    The fish demon proves to be stout, however, and though it gives a watery grunt, Baldhart's blow does not force it backward.

    The fish demon strikes out with a claw in return:

    Attack Baldhart [1d20+2] = 7+2 = 9

    Baldhart dodges the attack easily enough, even on the confines of the ledge outside the tunnel. The two fish demons to her left cast their malevolent gaze on her...

    ...but a hulking, heavy shape thuds down onto the ledge next to Baldhart with a canine snarl. Ghendra thrusts at the nearest fish demon with his sword:

    [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14

    Damage [1d10+3] = 1+3 = 4

    The attack hits, but the damage is minimal, the fish demon turning with the thrust of the blade as it scores its abdomen. The fish demon slashes at the gnoll with claws extended, while the fish demon farthest to the left pulls its bulk onto the ledge, then steps toward Ghendra and does the same:

    Attack Ghendra [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12


    Attack Ghendra [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3

    Neither fish demon lands its blow, Ghendra using his sword to knock one striking arm aside while twisting his shoulders to avoid the second. The gnoll mutters something dark sounding in his own tongue.

    Inside the tunnels, Aliron and Bressel from their position on the stairs, the creatures pushing into the larger room, hissing, and turning toward where Aliron and Bressel stand. There are at least three fish demons visible - possibly a fourth. And who knows how many in the tunnels behind.

    Just as the fish demons enter the larger room, Nissa rounds a corner and comes up behind Bressel atop the stairs. She sees the fish demons gathering in the room below.

    Hall approaches Liadan and Keitsumah for healing, now that they've done what they can for the wolf.

    Ankari stands atop the cliffs, looking down toward the ledge where Ghendra and Baldhart fight. He sights up one of the fish demons and lets an arrow fly. The arrow catches a fish demon at a shallow angle and bounces harmlessly off of its scales.

    Below Ankari, between he and the ledge of the tunnels, two of Ghendra's warband make their way toward the ledge, their own progress climbing the cliffs slower than that of their leader.

    Mauve moves slowly toward the village, and the action there, slipping from darkness to relative darkness as she hides her approach. As it stands, not many eyes are upon her. She sees the group near the cliffs, Ankari firing down at some unknown enemy.

    From further in town, beyond the temple of Tyr where sits a stone structure Mauve knows all too well, she hears the cries and shouts of villagers.
     
  8. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,550
    313
    Liadan

    I look up as Hall approaches, and take his hand, calling up a spell to tend to his wounds.

    [​IMG]
    ((Liadan is now at 7 MP.))
     
  9. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    ((I'll just go with trial-and-error. If there's a legal way to grab then hurt by including a hit roll, I'm gonna suplex a demon!))


    Baldhart

    So… of all the potential rescuers, the leader of the child-murdering pack is defending me. I grab the nearest foe to my right.
    [​IMG]
    ((He can't roll higher than 22, so I guess I've got him.))

    "You think you're strong, demon?"

    I lift him, and hurl him head-first at the jagged edge, hoping to crush his skull and let the fall finish him. With luck, he'll collide with his pals as he tumbles off the cliff!
    [​IMG]
    ((EDIT - Now that grappling rules are clarified, I think what Baldy intended is technically a throw, not a slam. The 2nd d20 roll should be a STR check, which with Baldy's bonuses is [15]+2+3+4 = 24.))

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  10. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Nissa

    I race to the enemy, shouting to Alin, "Left guy! KILL!"—hoping I won't get swatted.

    Remembering the blast radius, I hug the wall as I light up my only weapon, and aim not at an enemy, but at the rocky ground.

    [​IMG]
    ((Not sure if hit roll is needed, but she's throwing, not dropping. Her target is the ground, so I'm wondering if that's base AC [10] to hit the part of the ground she's aiming for.))

    [​IMG]
    ((Flight path; bottle throw; what I think the blast zone might be, but Nissa should know better than I since she's tossed a few. If I have the explosion size wrong, please adjust in a way that accomplishes what Nissa intends:

    1- Keep Alin and Bressel safe from enemies.
    2- Not burn herself or the good guys.
    3- Block the cave so more enemies don't rush in if she can't hit all.

    She wouldn't know that Baldhart's back there trying to be a pro wrestler.))
     
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  11. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,531
    534
    113
    Aliron
    Aliron shoots the closest(which I believe happens to be the left one)
    normal to hit day arrow [1d20+6] = 13+6 = 19 ;damage[1d8] = 4
    The arrow strikes true but doesn't seem to harm the fishy to much.

    Bressel
    Bressel sees Aliron stop and shoot, Nissa flies past, so he follows her and when clear of Aliron swings hard:

    great axe to hit [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14 ;damage: [1d12+3] = 6+3 = 9 (str)
    Attacking the same one the arrow just hit.
    When Nissa throws the oil, Bressel staggers back towards the stairs.
    (If the blast area is bigger then LS believes, the fishy Bressel hit should block most of the oil from Bressel and Aliron. Both fishes and the corner should block Aliron, from the picture.)

    Aliron yells:
    "Fish fry anyone?" And grabs another arrow.
     
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  12. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    40
    28
    I nod gratefully to Liadan. I need to keep my magic stored up. But whether we will still go through with the plan about the gnolls is now lost on me.

    "Here, I'll get Batos to a safer place." i say, then try to lift Batos:

    [​IMG]

    But his sodden fur proves too slippery for me to grip, and i shake my head at myself and instead draw out my knife. The blade isn't as sharp as need be, but at least it'suseful for stabbing something if the water demons get past Baldart and Ghendra.
     
  13. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,624
    885
    113
    Baldhart has adopted a new form of fighting. Or maybe it is to display her competence before the gnolls. What need of weapons, when you have knots of fury coiling beneath your skin. I'll have to ask her.

    But first, I save her from the indignation of rescue by gnolls. I have two arrows left to show her how much I care.

    ((I do care, Baldhart!))

    [​IMG]

    ((On a scale of 1 to 12, I care...)))

    [​IMG]
     
  14. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,550
    313
    Cadell

    "Here, let me help..." I move to try picking up Batos myself.

    [​IMG]

    I rise slowly, keeping Batos cradled in my arms. He's heavy, but I think I can manage. "Let's find that safer place, shall we?"
     
  15. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    40
    28
    I nod in thanks, "Well... before now, Batos and I used to hide in the trees, but right now i think underground may be the best idea, at least until he wakes up." I do not bother to try and explain how i could ever get a wolf of Batos's size up into a tree. That would take too long. "Do you know if any of the buildings here have a cellar we could hole him up in?"
     
  16. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,550
    313
    Cadell

    "The Maiden's Spear likely has a wine cellar..." I say, looking in that direction. "I'm not sure how easy it will be to get him inside, however." No doubt the village is in chaos right now, between the arrival of the fish-demons and gnolls.
     
  17. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    40
    28
    "Maybe that would not be such a good place to hide him, then." i respond. Then i cast my gaze about, looking for something non-flammable for Batos to be hidden under. If he wakes up, it also has to be able to be moved aside easilly.

    [​IMG]

    (I'l leave this one up to Steer)
     
  18. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    ((Here is the next map. Update following shortly)).

    [​IMG]
     
  19. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    In the tunnels beneath Arendal, cold air from the sea carries with it the scent of blood and fish demons. A new scent, that of burning oil, enters the chamber as Nissa sweeps in. She casts her burning flask hard at the ground in the midst of the fish demons, and the glass shatters, scattering oil and flame and throwing a ghastly light across the room.The fish demons hiss and attempt to scatter even as burning oil rains on them.

    ((DEX Saves for Fish Demons))

    Dex
    Save [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19


    Dex
    Save [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22


    Dex
    Save [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22


    Dex
    Save [1d20+2] = 4+2 = 6


    Fire
    Damage [1d6] = 2


    Fire
    Damage [1d3] = 3


    The fish demon farthest to the right leaps backward into the hall, flailing at the burning liquid on its legs and torso. One of the others does the same, dashing toward the southernmost wall of the room. The demon closest to Nissa races to a position just beside her, hissing and shaking its leg to loosen droplets of oil, slapping at errant spatters with one wide, clawed hand. The fourth fish demon seems disoriented by the attack, hissing in pain, then doubling over where it stands, slapping at the flames on its skin but apparently without enough of its wits to exit the circle of burning oil.

    No sooner does the fish demon nearest Nissa commence to beating out the flaming liquid on its torso than Aliron drills it with an arrow. The creature staggers into the wall, then rights itself and turns in the direction from whence the arrow came - just in time to ascertain the heavy steel of Bressel's axe before that weapon cleaves its skull and sends its broken body to the floor.

    Those fish demons who remain alive and out of the flame take the rest of their turn to ensure that they are no longer burning. The one in the room with Nissa, Bressel, and Aliron turns its wide-eyed, baleful glance toward the small valkyrie. The one in the hall casts a look down the hallway, toward where the battle rages on the cliffside, and looks set to lumber in that direction.

    At the cliffside, Baldhart grabs one of the fish demons in her powerful arms. It flexes its muscle, attempting to force her to relinquish her hold:

    Grapple
    Check [1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8


    It is no use, as the large woman has the creature firmly in her grasp. She dashes the creature against the edge of the cliff and sends it sprawling over the edge, wounded. The fish demon immediately behind makes to hastily dodge the flung carcass of its companion:

    Dodge
    thrown demon [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12


    It does so, twisting aside as the thrown fish demon tumbles down the edge of the cliffside, striking an outcropping of rock and then plunging into the sea below. The fish demon who dodged the body reorients itself and pulls itself bodily onto the ledge next to Baldhart.

    As the fish demon rises itelf up before Baldhart, Ankari's arrow catches it square in the shoulder, burying itself deep in the creature's muscle. The creature lets out a cry of anguish, but does not fall.

    Ghendra slashes at the fish demon closest he and Baldhart:

    Attack
    [1d20+3] = 5+3 = 8


    The fish demon is ready for the attack, leaning into the blow and knocking the gnoll's arm aside with its shoulder. It lashes out with both clawed hands:

    Fish Demon Attack [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13

    Fish Demon Attack [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16

    The canny gnoll dodges the first blow, but the second attack catches his arm, drawing deep furrows through fur and flesh.

    Fish Demon Damage [1d4+2] = 3+2 = 5

    The other fish demon on the ledge rushes Ghendra from behind, unseen by the gnoll leader. It, too, strikes with a pair of claws:

    Fish Demon Attack [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10

    Fish Demons Attack [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12

    The gnoll's armor and thick hide save him from harm, and he maintains his focus on his current target.

    Above the chaos of the fight, Liadan infuses Hall with a warmth of healing magic, healing wounds and invigorating the man. ((+6 HP to Hall)).

    Keitsumah tried to lift Batos in order to carry him to safey, but cannot do so alone. Cadell helps her, and together they carry the wolf to the far side of a large tree whose roots tangle in a surface of jutting rock. The west end of the tree and roots form a slight depression into which the wolf fits nicely, and the wetness of the sea air on the trunk and limbs of the tree, along with the remnants of snow and ice on the ground, provide little fuel for any fire that might attempt to spread to the area.

    To the east of the temple, the women, children, and elderly of Arendal pour from the stone structure and run toward the safety of the forest. Ghendra's warriors approach the structure at a run, and the villagers quail, those already outside the structure redoubling their efforts to reach the woods, while those who have not fully emerged shrink back within in fear. Gisla stands in the entranceway, sword in hand and a grim look on her face as the gnoll warriors advance.
     
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  20. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Nissa

    "Oh, you didn't like that, did you?" I rush the oil-soaked enemy, torch first.

    [​IMG]
    ((6, not 8—added level, but shouldn't have.))

    "Er… Bressel?"

    Darn, I knew I should've flown back for oil. I wonder how Baldy's doing? Poor thing must feel naked without her sword.




    Baldhart

    I grab the one who wounded Ghendra. A part of me wants to thank the smelly beast, but mostly, I want the fish demon to—

    "DIE!"
    [​IMG]
    "HA! HA-HA-HA-HA!"

    Even Ghendra would not escape this hold. Surely he sees that my execution is perfect! Speaking of execution…

    I lift the fish demon and hurl him at the one skewered by an arrow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ((Would half damage to each target round up, round down, or work out to a total of 5?))

    Maybe they'll both tumble over the side. Or maybe I stomp on this one while he's down. What's with Ghendra's followers? Why do I have to save this stupid murder-hound?

    "Watch your back, Ghendra."

    Be thankful I have no blade to insert in it, you baby-killing scum. Not that I need a blade.
     
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
Loading...

Share This Page