1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act III

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 20, 2013.

  1. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,531
    534
    113
    [Not sure where Keit is compared to where the stairs lead. Would Bressel hear her?]
    Aliron turns, moving up the stairs slowly. The cave is clear of fishies, time to see the gnolls.

    [West? They might encounter the spikes?]
     
  2. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,624
    885
    113
    Battle finds me, and I am eager. I spin with the axe in my hand and a howl building in my throat.

    [​IMG]

    ((How unfortunate))
    [​IMG]
     
  3. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    470
    83
    The notion of wasting my good magic here isn't appealing. I shift my weight and narrow my dry eyes. The wind still stabs them and makes my damp clothing feel colder, contributing to my discomfort. Why aren't they moving yet, are they halfwits?

    I cock my head to the side, hearing that elf's shrill. Her warn settles the question of which way I should go.

    "HEY! Aren't you moving yet, you sluggards?" I reach for the rope, pull myself out of this miserable hole and let go, looking forward to repeat my previous feat, this time aiming at their ledge.

    "They're coming f–"

    ((If another DEX roll is needed... ouch. Not sure if she succeeded.))
    [​IMG]
     
  4. senseiseth

    senseiseth Troubadour

    153
    11
    18
    I feel the healing sensation along my wounds. Taking a deep breath, I grip my blade once more and run to where the fighting was the thickest.

    ((Sorry about the absence, everyone. Hope that helps with Hall's character before the new round.))
     
  5. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    ((New Map. Sorry it's a bit small, but that's the only way I could fit it all in. Also sorry about how long it took - I'm on a new laptop and I haven't been able to recover my old files yet, so I had to hunt down a lot of my textures again.

    The yellow arrow near the top points toward the ledge where Baldy, Ankari and Ghendra are. Mauve is in the same area, just perched halfway between the ledge and the top of the cliffs. The arrow pointing down the Arendal street points in the direction of Gisla, the gnolls, and the militia men, who can't be seen on this map)).

    [​IMG]
     
    Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  6. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    The wounded fish demon moving through the tunnels toward the ledge overlooking the sea has its attention fixed on Ankari, but only for a moment, for that attention is drawn away by Baldhart rushing down the corridor in an attempt to grapple the creature. She tries to intimidate it as she approaches:

    Save v. Intimidate [1d20] = 19

    The creature shrinks away from the charging woman, uncertain, then hisses in anger as Baldhart closes her arms around it. The fish demon squirms and flexes the muscles under its dry scaly hide.

    Grapple Check [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16 ((Should be 14, because of Intimidate)).

    The creature's efforts are futile. Baldhart has it in her grip and begins to drag the thing toward the ledge, which remains some feet away. As she drags the hapless creature along, Ankari takes the opportunity to attack the thing, but even in Baldhart's firm grip the creature writhes and twists, and though Ankari hits the damage is not substantial. The creature remains conscious, though it looks much the worse for its ordeal of the last few moments.

    On the ledge, Ghendra swings his sword at one of the fish demons scaling the cliffs, just as the creature begins to pull itself up onto the ledge:

    Attack [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14


    Damage [1d10+3] = 8+3 = 11

    The gnoll lets out a fierce cry of satisfaction as his sword finally connects with the carcass of one of the enemy. The blade of Ghendra's large sword splits the skull of the fish demon from the top of its head well into the length of its neck, and the gnoll twists and tugs at the blade to pull it free. Two other fish demons breach the edge of the ledge, one on either side of the gnoll.

    Beneath Arendal, Nissa hovers before a militia man, engaged in conversation. When put to the question, the man manages to get out an "I'm Elof," though he says it distractedly, as though still partly awestruck by the valkyrie. When Nissa asks about children, that seems to focus him. "I have one...a lad. He's heading toward the forest with his mum." He glances over his shoulder in the direction of the stone structures where the refugees were hidden, then turns back to Nissa. "I'm to stay here an' fight whatever comes down that hallway, I guess."

    Gisla stands outside the stone structure, having seen the last of the refugees run for the forest. Her hand hovers over her sword as the gnolls push past, but they do not molest her - instead, they move into the cold stone structure, disappearing into the corridors beneath the village. When Cadell mentions the need for help, and that Sahuagin approach from the west, Gisla looks at him quizzically for a moment, then seems to recall something and her visage hardens. "More of them? By the gods, what did we do to get so damned popular." Gripping her sword she casts one final glance toward the treeline where the villagers ran, then turns and sprints toward the western part of the village.

    Aliron is past the militia man and moving down the corridor when the heavy sound of feet and guttural language pulls him up short. He comes face to face with a group of gnolls moving in single file down the corridor, the flickering light of torches shining in their narrowed eyes as they approach. There are three directly in front of Aliron, and it sounds like more behind.

    Liadan and Hall both hear Keitsumah clearly. She is perched in a tree, at the base of which rests Batos, still unconscious due to his injuries. Keitsumah sees the fish demons, some moving into positions behind trees, presumably to approach Arendal unseen, others seeming to have no such concern, and moving forward in the open. A large fish demon with a trident is in the midst of the largest group and seems to be directing them. They approach the village cautiously, unaware that they've been seen.

    From her position above the ledge, Mauve hears Keitsumah's cry as well, but her attention is focused on the ledge below and the acrobatic landing she is about to make there. She hauls herself out of her crevasse and leaps, much as she did from the top of the cliffs moments before. All seems well until her ankle catches in the rope, snagging briefly and upending her. Her orientation is head-first rather than feet-first, and her trajectory is further out and away from the cliffs than she intended. She catches the briefest glimpse of a gnollish face on the ledge, watching her in dumbstruck amazement as she plummets past, and then she crashes into a fish demon just below the edge of the ledge, knocking it's grip free of the rock and sending the creature and herself tumbling into a second fish demon just below the first one, who try though it might could not scramble to the side fast enough to avoid the falling mass of limbs. All three - Mauve and the two fish demons - come to rest in a heap on a flat rock surface about three feet above the water. The fish demons sit up, seemingly disoriented. Then their bulbous eyes focus on Mauve and the two scramble away from her in opposite directions, looking up and down and appearing torn between another attempt at the rocks or a quick dive into the sea.
     
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  7. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Baldhart
    He's scared and he should be! But in his squirming fear, I can't keep him still! I manage to hold him down while Ankari… tickles him. The hell with this.

    "Help your furry friend. I've got this crispy critter."

    The enemy still in my arms, I bend over backwards and mash his skull into the rocky ground!

    [​IMG]
    ((Adjust grip if needed, then SUPLEX!))
    [​IMG]

    During my struggle, I could swear Mauve's voice traveled down, not up. But then, I had my head upside down doing that move so…



    Nissa
    ((If the flames are out, Nissa signals the man to follow to the ledge. Otherwise, she'll lead him the other way.))

    "You are to carry all those extra bottles, Elof, since I'm too dainty for that. I intend to keep you off of the front line as long as my fire attacks are working."

    I check for a crossbow.

    If I see one, I'll tell him to "Feel free to shoot some fish if you want a more interesting story for your son, but I assure you, you have Brynhild's blessing for what you do now. I'm sure Tyr approves of your courage, though it is not my place to speak for Him."
     
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  8. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,550
    313
    Cadell

    No sooner do I relay the news of more fish-demons to Gisla then I turn Llucheden about and urge her back up the path, westward toward the incoming threat.

    Liadan

    I turn from the sea, rushing north and west between the nearest buildings. I see Keit perched in a tree just beside one of them. If I can get to the roof, I can loose my arrows from there with less chance of being hurt myself. Am I dexterous enough to climb up the wall?

    [​IMG]

    What is wrong with me?! I sigh and turn toward the tree. Maybe that will give me better luck.
     
  9. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    40
    28
    My eyes widen in panic when i notice just how many fish demons there are. There's no way we can confront that many at once! Unless we kill the leader, but he's hidden behind them! I grab my flute again and blow sharply, playing just one note as i count them off and play the same number of notes.

    Nine...Ten...Eleven... On the Twelfth note, i raise the song an octave higher and let it quaver, hoping the others who hear it will understand my message.

    Now i need to get Batos in a safe place... I look down at the base of the tree and eye the distance between myself and the ground. Two high for me to even attempt bringing Batos up here unconscious. My best chance would be to cover him with dead leaves and earth to camouflage him.
     
  10. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,531
    534
    113
    Aliron
    Distracted, arrow at the ready, someone appears in front of me, I draw back ready to fire, then as I relax the string, I pivot against the wall to let them past.
    "The enemy of my enemy, is my friend?" I speak aloud as I watch them move by.

    Bressel
    Moving silently aside as they passed not even thinking of his friend that followed, and his knack for believing every being in the world is a potential enemy, including himself.
    Too late he turns to warn him, and is relieved to see Aliron did not shoot anyone...This time.
    Did I hear some excitement somewhere, it was a long night, and it seemed like the day was going to be no better.
    Somewhere there is more flesh in need of being hacked to death, Dog, man, elf, dwarf, or fish, this new group seemed to attract a lot of attention.
    "If your house trained you all can buy the first round at the bar, if not kibble and fish men for dinner in the back."
     
  11. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,624
    885
    113
    Baldhart chastises my efforts. I can't blame her. Where did my strength go on that swing? I replace my Axe at my hip and climb up. If the fish demon still lives, I'll see what I can do for Ghendra.
     
  12. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,624
    885
    113
    ((To save time, I'll just post my results. I'm attacking the fish demon Ghendra is trying to kill.))

    [​IMG]

    ((Damage))
    [​IMG]

    ((Nope))
     
  13. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    ((A map!))

    [​IMG]
     
  14. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    Fighting continues at the ledge to the tunnel beneath Arendal. After missing her mark and taking out a couple of fish demons with her fall, Mauve disappears from view of those on the ledge and in the tunnel, having fallen further toward the water level.

    Ghendra attacks the fish demon to his right, which has just pulled itself onto the ledge:

    Attack [1d20+3] = 7+3 = 10

    The attack misses as the fish demon sidesteps and twists to avoid the blade. With a characteristic fishy hiss, the creature slashes back at the gnoll, both claws bared and seeking blood:

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17

    Ghendra catches one of the fish demon's forearms in his free hand, and jerks the creature's arm aside. The demon's other claw gets through, however, penetrating through thick gnoll fur and skin. The fish demon jerks its claw free, spattering blood, and raises its gnarled fingers to show dripping blood.

    Damage [1d4+2] = 3+2 = 5

    Ankari stabs at the fish demon to Ghendra's left, and though the attack doesn't do much damage, the blade does go into the creature just as it begins to attack the gnoll. The creature lets out a hiss of pain and whirls, one set of claws slashing out toward Ankari as it does so:

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 3+2 = 5

    Ankari avoids the attack with ease, and now has the full attention of this particular fish demon.

    Further within the tunnel, Baldhart still has a grip on her fish demon, which is bleeding slightly from the attack it suffered. The creature strains its muscles, trying to break the woman's hold:

    Grapple Check [1d20+2] = 9+2 = 11

    Again the fish demon fails to free itself, and Baldhart lifts the demon from the ground and slams it backward onto the hard rock of the floor, her own weight crashing atop it just as it hits. There is a snapping sound, and a rush of rancid breath is expelled from the creature's mouth. It goes limp beneath Baldhart.

    Further inside the corridor, Bressel speaks to the gnoll warriors as they pass him. Five in all move through the passageway, their broad shoulders brushing first against Bressel, then Aliron, as they move past making no effort to press themselves against the wall or shrink away from either man. Aliron speaks as well, but if the gnolls understand what either of them are saying, they give no reply. After the gnolls move past, Aliron and Bressel are able to continue down the corridor, ultimately moving up a set of stairs into a small stone building, the front door open onto the village of Arendal. ((If you want to interact further with the gnolls and not emerge, feel free to do so)).

    Nissa is still in the underground rooms, speaking to Elof. He agrees to carry the oil flasks, and he nods solemnly when Nissa invokes Brynhild and Tyr. "I'll do my best for the village my...um...lady?"

    Just as he finishes speaking, the foremost two gnolls enter the room, casting their eyes about the place, taking in the carnage. Elof let's out a cry and jumps back, landing next to Nissa and between her and the gnolls. When the two gnolls catch sight of Nissa they stop in their tracks. One barks a few incomprehensible words to his comrade, who replies in the same fashion.

    Keitsumah's flute plays out a series of notes - eleven all told, followed by a 12th note that is a higher trill. Liadan hears it loudly as she stands next to the building she was unable to climb. From her vantage point, she can see the advancing fish demons. The creature pause, but only briefly, when they hear Keitsumah's flute. The apparent leader of the group then calls out to its comrades and they gather themselves together, their slow advance turning into a sprint.

    Cadell reaches the edge of a building just as Keitsumah finishes her notes. He spies her in the tree, and at least a portion of the advancing fish demon group beyond. Footsteps fall hard behind him, and a quick glance behind shows Gisla running up the street, sword in her good hand. Two gnoll warriors are just behind her, their own weapons drawn.
     
  15. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,531
    534
    113
    Aliron
    Moves quickly towards the docks people don't seem to be focusing on the docks but to the west.

    Bressel
    Hurries along with Aliron.
     
  16. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,550
    313
    Liadan

    I rush toward Keitsumah's tree, rubbing my hands together with a quick prayer before I attempt to climb. Perhaps Oercus will bless me with dexterity this time.

    [​IMG]

    Or perhaps not.

    Cadell

    I dig my heels into Llucheden's sides, urging her on faster. Liadan stands by the tree Keit is perched in, having no luck in climbing; I veer toward it and rein Llucheden in, then offer my hand to Liadan. "Here!"

    I boost her up into the tree, blow her a kiss for luck, then turn back toward our approaching foes.
     
  17. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    I see Ankari and Ghendra are still engaged in battle. Well, I have two fists. Let's see if I can take 'em both down!

    I charge Ankari's opponent!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    …and follow my left hook with an uppercut!

    ((Vs. Ghendra's opponent with the second attack, if possible.))
    [​IMG][​IMG]
     
    Ireth likes this.
  18. senseiseth

    senseiseth Troubadour

    153
    11
    18
    I see the main attack force coming towards us. Gripping my longsword I run up to Liadan and Kiet, "I don't suppose either of you have a plan of attack, eh?"
     
  19. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,550
    313
    Liadan

    I look down at Hall as I climb through the tree. "My plan is to get to this roof and snipe the monsters from there. You'd be better off fighting from the ground, I think."
     
  20. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Nissa

    I want to instill Elof with a sense of hope, but the damn dogs gawk at me and flap their snouts. Please forgive me, Brynhild, for not burning them where they stand. I cannot protect Baldhart from the confusion that would ensue as long as her companions debate whether these child-killers are friend or foe. For that reason—for the mission you charged me with, my dear Goddess, and no other—I will tolerate the truce. Not in my heart, but in my actions.

    "No need to defend me," I say to Elof, hoping he will not second guess his courage. "Gisla has agreed to a truce, which I shall honor since she is so devoted to my dear Goddess. Let me introduce you to another devout follower. Surely she's the reason the demons no longer enter here."


    I signal Elof to follow. To the gnolls…
    Stay. Roll over. Drop dead. Go f—I decide it's best to say nothing to them.

    "Do you like rock-climbing, Elof?"

    Baldy, how are you doing this without a sword? I know you too well. I know you won't run and hide, even if I—

    No, she knows I would never command her that. If I did, she'd know I'm not speaking for Brynhild. Only from my heart.



    ((In case it's unclear, Nissa is leading Elof to the ledge, but only if the fire is out so he can walk safely. Otherwise, she takes him past the dogs and I can delete the rock-climbing comment in that case.))
     
Loading...

Share This Page