1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act III

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 20, 2013.

  1. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    40
    28
    My hands tremble violently, and I pray for strength. Brynhild, I have little weapons but my hands and voice at this time, as well as just enough for one spell. But if i must die, let Batos live so that he may at least go down fighting!

    Hall calls up from below, and hope surges momentarily. "Hall -yes you should fight on the ground, but can you cover up Batos with some of those leaves over there? He's a little exposed with that white fur. And if you are to fight anywhere, look for a place to bottleneck the water demons so that only one can get at you at a time! It might be best for us all to work in pairs too to cover each other's backs."

    "As for how we will beat these..." i can't deny it, i swallow. "I don't think we can beat them on our own. We need more help." Glancing back over my shoulder, i remember the gnolls. Maybe some of them have better hearing than others. having listened to Batos howl ever since i was a child, i can try to mimic a war call. The gnolls seem to be the kind of creatures to hate to miss a good battle.

    I doubt Brynhild blesses timidity. Sucking in a breath, i cup my hands around my mouth and try to howl:

    [​IMG]

    But I'm too nervous and not much more than a croak escapes.
     
  2. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    470
    83
    My fingers scratch the rock overhead, searching for a stable hold. They are followed by my elbows, over the edge and out of my sight. I plant them on the stone and pull myself up the ledge, greatly appreciating the enchanted slippers help.

    "Why, hello there." I get to my feet, smooth my damp and crumpled clothes and make a hopeless attempt to brush off the dirt clinging to them.
     
  3. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    ((New Map))

    [​IMG]
     
  4. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    West of Arendal

    The fish demons move swiftly now, aware that they have been spotted. Three of them fall in around the large trident-wielder as the group as a whole moves toward Arendal. Most of the creatures are heading in the direction of the tree.

    Cadell gives Liadan a boost up into the tree just as Hall arrives. Cadell then turns to face the approach enemy. The fish demon out in front of the pack is streaking across the cold ground, bulbous eyes set on Cadell atop his mount. The creature will be on him in seconds.

    Hard footsteps behind, and Gisla comes running down the road, her sword out. She's heading for Cadell. "Be wary of your flanks," she calls. "There are more to the sides!"

    Behind Gisla, two gnolls are running, their weapons also drawn. The first of them narrows his eyes when he see the fish demons beyond Cadell, a low growl rising in his throat. The second gnoll veers as if to go around the tree in the other direction, his path taking him right past Hall.

    Still further behind, Aliron and Bressel appear, heading for the docks. As they move down the street they get a clear view of the events by the tree.

    Under Arendal

    Battle continues on the ledge. Baldhart attacks the fish demon fighting Ankari, her two fists flashing out one after another. The first blow snaps the fish demon's head to the side, and before the creature is even able to slump properly her second fist catches it under the chin, crushing the bone of its jaw and sending it sprawling back off the ledge. It falls with a thud to the rocks below and does not move.

    Ghendra has his back to Baldhart and Ankari, concentrating on his own enemy. He thrusts his sword at the creature:

    Attack [1d20+3] = 7+3 = 10

    The fish demon slides away from the blade and leaps at Ghendra with claws out:

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 3+2 = 5


    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10

    Ghendra elbows one of the fish demon's arms aside, then shoves it backward. Neither attack hit. The gnoll lets out a growl of frustration and prepares to attack again.

    Nissa appears from within the tunnel, the fire having died down in the room beyond. A villager follows her, eyes growing wide at the sight of the battle on the ledge. Gnolls are in the corridor behind Nissa, also heading toward the ledge. The corridor is not wide enough for the gnolls to pass, and besides, there is scarcely enough room on the ledge for all to stand.

    There is one clear spot, but...Mauve pulls herself onto the ledge just on the other side of Ghendra's opponent. The fish demon does not see her and Ghendra pays her no mind. She takes in the fight, as well as Baldhart and Ankari, and the approaching Nissa and her entourage.
     
  5. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    470
    83
    The Ledge

    And here come the peasants. I let the air out in a sharp breath. Not having to hide my nature for a while was nice.

    "Off with you!" I draw an arc with my spear, intent on knocking the fish demon down.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ((I've got no clue if it's a legal move. Damage isn't her priority, it's rather pushing the creature away by hitting it with the shaft, hopefully off the ledge; hence the STR check. I've left a damage roll ready at the dice room in case she's not allowed to play baseball.))

    "Did you really overlooked their advantage of terrain? Let's get out and close the door! The wolf girl was shrieking something."
     
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  6. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Baldhart

    Mauve's words are strange. She talks about advantage, then pushes the enemy to the safety of the sea. But it did occur to me that most of the party is still up there. There may be a very good reason so few followed me.

    I agree it's time to move, but… "First, let me lend you a hand."

    I shove the demon Mauve's trying to topple to make sure he goes over.
    [​IMG]
    ((Mauve's shove isn't impressive, so let's add 14 from Baldy and make sure he goes over. That's also not impressive, but the two rolls together should do the trick!))

    Good thing I didn't try grappling him alone. I think I wore myself out with that punch combo.



    Nissa

    I hear Mauve's wolf-girl comment, so I waste no time. Baldhart is hurt, but not too badly. I'm curious about her bare-knuckle brawling, but we have all of eternity to talk.

    I fly up and see a fish demon along the ledge. He can't be the only one. I tell Baldy, "Tell Elof to meet me seaside of the stable!"

    I fly for a rooftop, full speed.



    Baldhart

    E-who?

    I blindly obey, and assume that guy following Nissa is…

    "Elof? Nissa says to meet her seaside of the stable." I add, "There's a rope you can climb."
     
    Nihal likes this.
  7. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,550
    313
    Cadell

    The fish-demons approach at a sprint. Once Liadan is in the tree, I have barely enough time to clamp my gauntlet around my sword before the first of the fish-demons is upon me. I roar a wordless battlecry as I lash out at it.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Liadan

    I don't bother to move to the roof before nocking and loosing my first arrow at the demon attacking Cadell.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    I sigh in relief as my arrow does considerable damage. I'm back in my element now, it seems.
     
  8. senseiseth

    senseiseth Troubadour

    153
    11
    18
    Hall

    I bolt past the tree where Keit and Liadan are using to meet the enemy in the field. I find the first creature I see and hail it. "Thy death day hath come! VALHALLA!" I swing my long sword towards its torso.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    It's a direct hit, and the wound bites deep into the creature's flesh. I turn to the others, "Forward you apes, Valhalla only takes the brave and the bold, let us not shame our families! Forward, to glory!"
     
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    Nihal, Ireth and Legendary Sidekick like this.
  9. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,531
    534
    113
    Aliron
    Aliron stops suddenly, seeing the attackers, three fish surround one with a trident, a swarm of bodies churn and bounce between him and the leader, some friends, some tainted allies, some enemies.
    There is one option.

    "Thy fish leader, I call you out. Hear me one and all, the fish leader cowers behind a wall of lackeys, I know this arrow shall strike true. Fish Leader, I will hit you!" I draw back the arrow, and whisper softly,
    "Heartbow"
    Heartseeker bow daily kill [1d8+5] = 1+5 = 6

    [Red fish, blue fish, Dead fish two]

    Bressel
    Following behind Aliron who moves quicker because he doesn't have metal armor, almost runs into Aliron when he stops suddenly, before he can complain he sees why Aliron has stopped.
    Bressel charges by Aliron towards battle. (forgetting that Aliron has a bow, and becomes one of those bodies obstructing a clean shot.)
     
  10. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,531
    534
    113
    [correction:]
    "heartseeker"
     
  11. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,624
    885
    113
    Everyone seems to have the ledge under control. Besides, too many us and so little ledge. The druid is yelping about something. I climb the rope expecting a thorn in her wolf's paw.
     
  12. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    [​IMG]
     
  13. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    The Village


    Sounds of hissing fill the cold air as the fish demons close with the group in the village. From the tree, Keitsumah and Liadan can see the advancing creatures closing with uncanny speed, given the frozen ground.

    When the first first demon reaches Cadell, he swings at the creature. The fish demon tries to slow itself and dodge the attack, but the conditions make it impossible. As it is, the demon is luckly to avoid all but the barest tip of the sword and take only a light wound.

    Hall charges toward the fray, his attack ready. A half second before he closes with Cadell's target, Liadan's arrow streaks from the tree and takes the creature full in the sternum, the arrow embedding itself over half its length in the demons chest. The monster stiffens as though wracked by a muscle spasm, and is already toppling backward when Hall smashes its fishy skull in and sends black blood and brain matter spattering across the ground.

    Meanwhile, the trident-wielding fish demon begins to move its arms in the semblance of some arcane ritual. Aliron sets his sights on it, speaking the words that lend supernatural power to his attack. The arrow leaps from the bow, skirting just past Bressel's head as he charges forward, and trailing blue light. It wends through tree branches just below Liadan's feet, emerges from the tree an inch or so above Cadell's head, and then streaks across the remaining ground to embed itself in the fish demon's chest. The creature is thrown bodily to the ground where it lays, motionless, with the arrow protruding from it.

    Then Gisla is there, leaping the corpse of the dead fish demon in front of Cadell and confronting the next creature to charge forward. She strikes out with her sword, he single arm moving deftly:

    Attack [1d20+2] = 4+2 = 6

    The fish demon will have none of it, slapping the sword aside and using its continuing momentum to put force behind the flurry of its claws as they strike at Gisla in return.

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22

    Claw Damage [1d4+2] = 4+2 = 6

    Gisla is fast, and she ducks the first claw. She is not fast enough to avoid the second, however. The blow catches her sideways, throwing her against the wall of the building and then raking along her left side. It tears at Gisla's armor and blood flows from the gaps.

    The knock against the building sets her ears ringing and she shakes her head to clear her thoughts:

    Save [1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8

    The attack leaves her dazed, eyes unfocused.

    Another fish demon approaches the woman from her northwest, pressing itself along the side of the building to occupy the space near the corner. It, too, lashes out twice at Gisla, baleful eyes locked on her:

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 12+2 = 14

    Even in her semi-dazed state, Gisla avoids the first blow. Again the second one catches her, and this time the claws rake along her leg.

    Claw Damage [1d4+2] = 1+2 = 3

    Gisla grits her teeth and tries to regain her fighting stance.

    A third fish demon rushes Hall, disregarding Cadell in its blind fury:

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 3+2 = 5

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 7+2 = 9

    The creature proves to be no match for Hall's defenses.

    A fourth fish demon aims itself at the gap between Hall and Gisla, its rage turned toward Cadell. It does not reach Cadell in time to attack, but there is litle doubt it will be on him in moments.

    Bressel nears the battle and finds himself with options. To the south, a fish demon moves along the edge of the cliffs, apparently unnoticed by others. The greatest concentration of fish demons is around Gisla, and by staying close to the building, Bressel is sure he can reach them. Finally, to the north one fish demons is engaged in melee with one of Ghendra's gnolls, while another moves purposefully toward the stables.

    A gnoll behind Bressel examines the situation with a canine sway of its head, then tilts its mouth toward the sky and looses and long, mournful howl.


    The Ledge


    Mauve strikes the fish demon next to Ghendra, putting all of her strength into trying to topple the creature into the drink. She unbalances it a bit, but it doesn't look like it is going over. Then Baldhart adds her own strength to the effort, and though the creature flails its arms in an attempt to grab someone, it falls backward off the ledge, landing on its rib cage on the flat rock some distance below and then bouncing off and into the ocean.

    Ankari heads up the rope. Nissa zips toward ground-level in full flight. At this moment, a loud, persistent howl arises from very near by - coming from the village itself. Ghendra's head snaps up at that.

    "Everyone up! There is an enemy above!" He lets out a growl then grabs the rope, hauling himself upward with seemingly little efofrt.

    The gnolls in the hallway grunt in frustration, having just made the trip into the tunnels, and then begin moving toward the rope themselves.

    ((NOTE: Nissa is not on the map. She's on the roof just south of Aliron. Ankari will reach the surface this round and will still have a full move left to him. He's coming up right where the top-most yellow arrow is pointing on the map)).
     
  14. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,550
    313
    Liadan

    Enemies swarm everywhere I look. I nock another arrow to my bow, murmur a prayer to Oercus, and fire at the fish-demon in front of Gisla. ((Middle of the three close together))

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Cadell

    One enemy veers past me to challenge Hall, while another charges right for me. I urge Llucheden forward, taking the offensive and striking at the demon with my sword.

    [​IMG]

    The blow goes wide, missing completely.
     
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  15. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Baldhart

    There's an enemy right here. Shame I can't kill him. I listen to the damned gnoll, wasting no time.

    [​IMG]
    ((I believe that's a successful climb.))

    Still a bit worn out from the grappling, my arms feel it as I climb, but I am strong. And swift. I rush to the battle as fast as I can.



    Nissa

    I want to help Gisla. I do not panic. I simply fly over her, light and drop the bottle, and see how many fish butts I can burn.

    "Burn in hell!" I shout even though hell is actually dark and cold, but the mortals seem to think the damned are cast into the molten core of the pla–wait… when I was alive, did I even know what a molten core was?


    [​IMG]

     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  16. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    470
    83
    Wow, that must hurt. I make a face and glance at the barbarian. She caught the rope already, giving me no time to reply her remark.

    How sad it's to depend on this thing. My bruised ankle doesn't feel like stepping near a rope any soon, nor do I wish to wait my turn to use it. I simply face the wall and put my sore muscles to work.

    [​IMG]

    "Ooi, nice outfit!" I tease the barbarian as we climb.

    ((And here comes the usual readied-action-if-there-is-no-time-this-round moment.))

    They nearly elbowed each other to get to the rope and now they rush to see who will be the first to spill some blood. I don't. I let the words of power flow, I draw the circle and the symbols in the air and this time...

    [​IMG]
    ((Lvl 1 Shield Spell))

    This time I succeed.
     
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  17. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    ((I assumed Baldy just scales the rock wall without needing the rope. If it makes no difference with the successful str check, I'd assume she leaves the rope for whoever needs it.))


    What can I say to her teasing, except what I can say with a smile? "Made it myself."
     
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Nihal likes this.
  18. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,550
    313
    Cadell

    Fire blossoms in my vision, behind the fish who threaten Gisla. Llucheden spooks and rears, and I clutch onto the reins, fighting to stay in the saddle.

    [​IMG]

    I manage, but barely, and try to soothe Llucheden. <Easy, girl!>
     
  19. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Nissa

    As I release the bottle, I can't help but notice that a westward wind pushed me to Gisla's aid. Was that you, Boss?

    Did I really just credit Brynhild for a gust of wind? That sound like something a mortal would say. Pull it together, Nissa!

    I say to Keit, "Gisla needs berries. Followers of Brynhild look out for each other."



    …though those valkyries from that amazon tribe who're always gossiping in the Asgardian pool probably weren't so trustworthy in life. If my dad ever met them, he'd gimme an I-told-you-so about what an eternal dwelling that only admits women is like. He never did understand my chosen faith, but next time I visit him and mom at Freya's hearth, I gotta tell them about my time among mortals. A lot's changed in 800 years. Now when there's bickering, it's usually in a male voice. And women wrestle and run village militias and lead evil armies.

    Maybe I should leave out the 'evil armies' part if I'm trying to make point.

     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  20. senseiseth

    senseiseth Troubadour

    153
    11
    18
    Hall

    I find the demon lunging towards me, its attacks are pitiful and I swing hard to answer the creature's attack in kind.

    [​IMG]

    Unlike the creature's attack, mine hits the target perfectly.

    [​IMG]

    The attack is effective and the creature screamed in pain.
     
Loading...

Share This Page