1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act III

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 20, 2013.

  1. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,531
    534
    113
    Aliron
    "I killed your leader! With all the obstacles in your way! You die next!"

    No safe shots available he holds an arrow ready.
    He watches Bressel for clues of where an attack might come.

    Bressel
    Points towards towards the north street.
    "One sneaking around the fight. I got the one sneaking south next to the cliff.
    With a playful axe spin he charges straight south.
    If possible Bressel will "charge" his opponent +2 to hit, -4 ac.
    great axe to hit [1d20+3] = 13+3 = 16 ;damage: [1d12+3] = 5+3 = 8 (str)
    ((If charge is allowed that would be 18.))

    Aliron
    Readied action
    arrow ready to shoot at the fishy that is going towards the stable when Aliron can see it.
    normal to hit day arrow [1d20+6] = 3+6 = 9 ;damage[1d8] = 4
    My shot if the move happens this round.
    ((Does not instill fear in the enemy to miss so badly after hitting so nicely before, luckily only Aliron and the target know.:D))
     
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    40
    28
    I grit my teeth, terror flooding my body as the water demons close in. For now it looks like we might be able to hold them off, but I fear that it may still not be enough.

    One of the gnolls howls and i glance back, my shaking beginning to ebb just a bit. But if any help is coming, it will be too long before they can join the battle.

    Then Nissa darts up beside me. "Gisla needs berries. Followers of Brynhild look out for each other."

    I nod, then glance down the trunk. Gisla is cornered, the water demons snarling with glee as they harass her, claws dripping crimson. If Batos had been here, he would have been the one to attack. Now, it is my turn.

    I grip my staff in hand, knuckles burning. Judging the distance between me and the ground, as well as any softer spots that can cushion my fall.

    [​IMG] (That was a prime too- i can't remember how to put in the comment on the roll)

    There's a spot that looks viable just behind Cadell, and I spring off of a lower branch. Still, the fall is a good ten feet at least,a and i end up rolling to prevent injuring myself. Directly behind Cadell now, I put up my staff in a defensive stance, ready to lash out at any Water demons that get too close, then edge toward Gisla.

    "Gisla! I have Goodberries! Try to back up and let Cadell and Hall fight while I heal you!" I call.
     
  3. senseiseth

    senseiseth Troubadour

    153
    11
    18
    Spotting quickly, out of the corner of my eye, Kiet tending to Gisla's wounds. I cry out, "Push forward! Let the monster's learn what true battle is. Fight! Fight! And show no fear!"
     
  4. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    ((New Map. Update shortly - going to be stuck on a conference call for a little while))

    [​IMG]
     
  5. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    From her perch, Liadan sights down the center of the three fish demon in front of Gisla and lets her arrow fly. From her angle in the tree, she is able to shoot past Gisla, and the arrow embeds itself deep into the fish demon's pectoral muscle. The demon immediately goes down, clutching at the arrow in its chest.

    Cadell orients Llucheden so he can attack the fish demon charging him. He lunges with his sword but the fish demon leaps deftly aside, just enough to dodge the swing of the blade.

    Nissa flies above the fray, aiming her missile behind the group of fish demons fighting Gisla. She lets fly with the oil and when the glass breaks and oils splashes out around the point of impact. The fish demon shot by Liadan is unable to move itself from the flames, being unconscious from the arrow wounds. The oil splashes across the unconscious form and the flames feed hungrily.

    The two fish demons flanking the unconscious one leap aside, trying to avoid as much of the splashing oil as possible:

    Save [1d20+2] = 12+2 = 14


    Save [1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17

    Flaming oil splatters them, though they are not as badly damaged as they might have been. Cadell just manages to keep Llucheden in check as the mount rears as the flames grow.

    Hall swings a fearsome blow at the fish demon he is fighting. The creature raises an instinctive arm, hoping to bat Hall's arm aside, but the creature's timing is off and Hall's blade shears through its forearm, the severed hand tumbling to the frozen ground in a jet of black blood.

    Bressel charges the fish demon making its way around the buildings to the south. His footsteps pound across the hard ground and the fish demon spins toward him, just in time to take the full brunt of Bressel's axe across its chest. The weapon bites deep, and with a groan the fish demon grabs at the haft of the axe, its cold fingers falling across Bressel's as it slumps to its knees. Its strength and consciousness are fading fast.

    To the north a second fish demon tries to navigate a sneaky path through the buildings of Arendal. Aliron sets his sights on the creature, but when he looses his arrow it flies wide and thuds into the wall of the Spear. The fish demon casts Aliron a hurried glance and then sprints across the street, disappearing into the space between two buildings.

    Keitumah drops from the tree behind Gisla and Cadell. Pressing herself against the wood of the building, she is able to move closer toward Gisla, calling out an offer of goodberries.

    If Gisla hears Keitsumah, she gives no sign of it, her attention on the fish demon before her as she lunges forward, her sword arm outstretched:

    Attack [1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17

    Damage [1d8+2] = 7+2 = 9

    Her sword seems to skewer the creature, and she pulls it from the horrid thing, trailing black blood across the ground. Gisla's shoulders relax a bit, clearly expecting the creature to crumple to the ground. Instead, the fish demon leaps at her with a hissing scream, thick blood running from its sharp teeth and down its chin. Its gaping maw seeks to clamp down on Gisla even as its arms stretch around her in a bear hug:

    Bite Attack [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15

    [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8

    Grapple [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15

    Gisla goes down beneath the creature, the life seemingly gone out of her as she does not even try to resist the grapple.

    The fish demon Cadell attacked has similar ideas, leaping at the elf with its mouth agape, sinewy arms seeking to wrap around its prey and pull him from his horse.

    Bite Attack [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4

    Grapple [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3

    The fish demon's ambitions far outreach its capabilities however, as neither its bite nor grapple come close to injuring the elf or dragging him from his mount. The fish demon bunches its legs underneath itself, preparing for another attempt on Cadell.

    Just to the north of Liadan's position in the tree, two gnolls battle a fish demon in the narrow space between structures. In an apparent stalemate, they exchange blows and dodges, neither of them hurting the other.

    At the cliffside, Ankari, Baldhart, and Mauve reach the surface. Mauve casts a spell as soon as she reaches the top, and it is a success. For a moment, a barely visible blue shimmer forms around Mauve, then disappears leaving no visible trace of the spell, though Mauve can feel the magic of the shield around her.

    Baldhart and Ankari see Bressel with a fish demon on its knees before him, Bressel's axe embedded deep within the creature's flesh.

    Ghendra climbs the rope below, and has almost reached the top. His gnoll warriors follow behind.
     
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  6. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,550
    313
    Liadan

    Gisla goes down in the cruel embrace of a fish-demon. I nock an arrow and aim, praying I can kill the beast without harming the human.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    But the arrow zips harmlessly over them both, and the only thing I damage is the ground.

    Cadell

    I ready my sword again as the fish-demon tries and fails to grapple me as its comrade grapples Gisla. My sword flashes as I lash out at my enemy.

    [​IMG]

    Another miss! How long can I go on like this?
     
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  7. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Baldhart

    I see Bressel is still dealing with one of the slimy beasts. I rush to his side ((1 sq. left of Bressel, if I can attack from a diagonal position)), then grab the demon...

    [​IMG]

    ...only to find grappling quite difficult after climbing so fast!

    "I'll rip your face off!" I tell the creature, hoping it will be too intimidated to withstand my strength.

    In my mind, I picture its skull being smashed against the rocky ground before it tumbles into the sea.

    [​IMG]
    ((Damage in case his roll sucks, too.))




    Nissa

    "Gisla needs healing!" I shout. But I can't heal her if the damn demon won't admit that it's dead. I dive down at the creature, hoping to kick him off so I can patch Gisla's wounds.

    [​IMG]
    ((I added +2 for the charge, in case she has the distance from above. Do I get another +2 for having the demon's back? If that's the case, and there's no DEX bonus when grappling, that's an 11 which is possibly a hit. Just in case, I'll roll damage.))
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  8. senseiseth

    senseiseth Troubadour

    153
    11
    18
    I spot the creature's arm now laying upon the ground. "I guess you need a hand in this fight, eh chum?" I say laughing at the end, "Oh come on that's gold material!"

    [​IMG]

    I swing my sword missing the target...I guess this is the gods way of telling me focus on the fight.
     
    Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  9. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Nissa

    I get a good look at the enemy. I also get a good look at the team falling apart when we should be ending this battle.

    "Keit!" I call out. "Can you tangle these creatures so we can kill 'em?"
     
  10. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    40
    28
    "Yes." My voice is surprisingly cold, but my hands tremble violently. Too late again. Doubtless that Gisla will not come out of this. I see the blood. I see the look of triumph in the dying demon's eyes. But what about the gnolls? What about the plan? I shouldn't have hesitated to begin with.

    My teeth clench, and i feel the magic i have been holding back this entire time rip free. My senses merge with that of the earth, the roots of the tree. I can taste blood. I can feel the pounding feet. I can feel Liadan in my branches. Images flash before my eyes. Gisla. Batos. The children. The villagers. My roots begin to quiver. I am only able to move the ones close to the surface, but it will suffice.

    If i had not hesitated, maybe we would not all be in this situation.

    Then I burst from the ground like a brown, angry snake, not seeing, but feeling the difference between my friends and foes. Hundreds of my brothers and sisters follow. Bark rasps and hisses as my tendrils race toward their targets, slithering past legs, coiling, binding. Tightening. I feel.... inhuman. My rage is now in control, having pulled my senses into that of the magic. I only want one thing, and that is for those who will hurt my friends to die.

    Dimly, i hear the echo of someone screaming out a war cry.
     
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  11. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,531
    534
    113
    Aliron
    Missing he spins and runs to the end of the building he stands next to, then cuts towards the fleeing fish demon.
    [unless it stops I should come out behind it.] Once behind it I will pursuit until I have a straight shot by bow or until the demon stops to fight.]

    Bressel
    Moves along the cliff edge following the path the dead demon just took, so I will come out behind the building where all the fighting is, ready to charge into the melee.
    {I believe it is too far to attack this round, so he'll pause around the corner to see where best to attack. Also not sure how many in that are are alive.}
     
  12. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Baldhart

    This damn thing should be dead. I have a bad feeling...

    Bressel starts to move. "Bressel--wait! Hold 'im down. I can finish him if he stops squirming!"

    Maybe with Bressel's strength, the creature won't resist me...
     
  13. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    470
    83
    I can't possibly remember how many times I have tried to conjure the shield since that event happened. My good luck seems to be at work today, I reckon I would be in no condition to try another spells if the shield failed me.

    The sight of the smoke on the western sky and the noise gives away the approximate location of the battle. I take the north path, tailing Baldhart as she approaches that unknown barbarian guy and what could be a demon fish. No help comes from me. I sprint past them with a grin full of teeth, surveying the battlefield that opens before me and turning south to flank the attackers.

    ((She'll position herself on a square next to the demon fishes, preferentially NW to perform a flanking or rear attack on the next turn. She won't leave her sides or back exposed to them.))
     
  14. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,531
    534
    113
    Bressel
    Stops when Baldhart grabs for the mortally wounded demon and asks for help. He looks at her as if she is crazy, but he turns to help pin the demon down as it dies.
    [​IMG]

    [[Unseen servant failed-on a "prime ability check" 1d20 it rolled a "0".
    so went rolz and got a 2.
    Bressel isn't concentrating.]]
     
  15. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    ((It's really a 10, though, since Bressel's STR check is what Baldy's used to be: 1d20+1+3+4 - so combined roll of 22? Sheesh... that's weak for two mighty barbarians!))

    Baldhart
    Bressel seems as limpy-armed as I am. Just the same, I think the two of us can handle the dying beast. I tell Bressel, "See that jagged edge? That's where his face goes!"

    Once Bressel stops him from squirming, I'll smash his face! (([7 damage] as rolled in me previous Baldy post.))
     
  16. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    [​IMG]
     
  17. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,266
    3,645
    413
    Liadan fires another arrow from within the tree, targeting the fish demon that is atop Gisla. The arrow goes wide, thudding into the frozen ground just beyond the fish demon. Gisla lays motionless beneath the creature, and it prepares to dig its claws into the woman once more...

    ...only to be distracted by the impact of a small valkyrie against its back. The fish demon whooshes out a breath of air and half falls onto Gisla. With a hiss of rage, it spins, dragging its claws through the air in a long arc intended to eviscerate the small valkyrie:

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15

    Claw Damage [1d4+2] = 1+2 = 3

    Nissa tries to pull back enough to dodge the blow, but the fish demon's claws just catch her, spinning her partially around and knocking her about a foot to one side. There is pain in this corporeal form. And blood. ((3 HP to Nissa)).

    From atop his mount, Cadell takes another strike at the fish demon before him. The creature avoids the blow, eyeing the elf warily. With a leer, the thing shifts its eyes from Cadell to Llucheden, having apparently decided the horse is a larger target and closer to the ground, and it springs at the beast with its claws:

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17

    Claw Attack [1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17

    Claw Damage [1d4+2] = 3+2 = 5

    Claw Damage [1d4+2] = 3+2 = 5

    Claws gouge horseflesh, scoring lines across Llucheden's shoulder, the furrows filling immediately with blood. The horse shakes its head and flares its nostrils in pain. The fish demon lets out a satisfied rasp and turns its evil sneer back to the elf. ((10 HP to Llucheden))

    Baldhart wrestles with the fish demon Bressel was fighting, even as Bressel begins to move away toward the battle. Baldhart calls him back and they both try to get hold of the creature, Baldhart using her intimidating bearing to lend her an edge:

    Intimidate Save [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10

    Grapple Check [1d20] = 19

    The fish demon seems intimidated, but even so it breaks Baldhart's hold. The creature then twists the other way, trying to break free of Bressel as well:

    Grapple Check [1d20] = 12

    Successful again, the creature straightens, takes a good look at the two large foes before it, and leaps far out over the edge of the cliffside, its body straightening into a passable dive just before it strikes the water and disappears into the grey sea ((ignore that fish demon on the map. I was going to have him fight, but realized as I was writing this that he would almost certainly leap into the drink rather than face Baldhart and Bressel, especially after being intimidated)).

    Hall takes a swing at the fish demon in front of him, but even in its wounded state the creature avoids the attack, black blood streaming from its severed hand. The exertion of avoiding the blow proves costly, however. The creature sways a bit, then buckles to the ground, its good arm behind it to keep it propped up. Eyes fixed on Hall, it backs away across the frozen earth.

    The two gnolls fighting near the corner of the building both attack the fish demon before them:

    Attack [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12

    Attack [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18

    Damage [1d8+2] = 5+2 = 7

    The creature avoids one attack but takes a solid hit from the second. The gnoll's sword sinks deep into the creature, and when the gnoll pulls the sword free the fish demon slumps to the ground, hands cupped against its leaking abdomen. The gnolls grunt at one another as the fish demon falls onto its face.

    As the battle rages, Keitsumah draws on life energy, casting a spell out to draw on the power of the plants that lay just beneath the ice and snow. Tendrils of growth spring from the ground, seeking to trap any that move in their path ((Entangle doesn't discriminate between friend and foe, so everyone in the area of effect needs a DEX save. I gave the focus of the spell the best placement possible, though in the future it should be specified (50' radius, for future reference). To get all of the fish demons in it, Llucheden needs to make a save. Gisla would if she were conscious. Nissa doesn't need to make one, since she flies. I centered the spell so Mauve and Hall avoided it. Fish demons will make saves next round)).

    Mauve sprints past Baldart and Bressel just as they are wrestling with the fish demon, her sure footing allowing her to skirt them along the cliff's edge without fear of falling into the cold water below. She rounds a building and takes a few steps toward the fight, coming to a stop just as tendrils of grey-green plant growth emerge from the frozen ground to twist and wrap around anything that moves near by.

    Aliron rushes after the fish demon he shot at, rounding the corner of the building just in time to see the fish demon emerge from between a second set of buildings perhaps 50 feet or so ahead, and onto one of Arendal's streets. The creature stops a moment to get its bearings and Aliron is able to close the gap with it ((Not on the map, but assume Aliron is about 30 feet behind the creature and it doesn't appear to realize it has been followed)).

    Ghendra pulls himself onto solid ground and rushes toward the fray as well, sword drawn as he rounds a building onto the main street of Arendal calling out to his warriors in a howl. The first of the warriors following Ghendra pulls himself up the last few feet of rope to solid ground.
     
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  18. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,550
    313
    Liadan

    I bite back a curse and aim another arrow at the monster attacking the fallen Gisla.

    [​IMG]

    But the demon is distracted by Nissa, and my arrow misses again.

    Cadell

    Llucheden screams as the demon's next attack gouges her flesh. I roar in rage and strike back, hoping my next blow is more effective than the last.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Well, at least I hit it.

    Roots on and under the ground come alive and writhe like snakes, twining around friend and foe alike. Llucheden snorts and prances to avoid them.

    [​IMG]

    ((I'm not sure what Llucheden's HP is to begin with, so I dunno what losing 10 would do to her health-wise.))
     
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  19. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,945
    413
    Nissa

    I fly up, as the roots wrap around friend and foe.

    I call to the party. "Keep those damn things away from Gisla!"

    No one is focused on healing her. Except me.

    I use a shred of clothing to bandage her wound. I pray to Brynhild I am not too late.
    [​IMG]



    Baldhart

    With the enemy out of my way, I follow Mauve's lead.

    "DIE!" I shout, and I give a look to the nearest enemy.

    [INTIMIDATE]
     
  20. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,531
    534
    113

    Aliron

    Stopping long enough to place and an arrow and shoot at the demon as it paused.
    normal to hit day arrow [1d20+6] = 10+6 = 16 ;damage[1d8] = 3


    Bressel
    Watches the demon hit the water, then spins and follows Mauve around the corner and barely avoids running over Mauve when she stopped, and does a balance dance to avoid the vines movement.
    Once the vines stop move, Bressel will charge into the closest demon.
     
Loading...

Share This Page