1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act III

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Baldhart

"I don't think we walk any slower in silence." Unless she means 'drop the subject.' "Oh. But yeah, I mean, I don't believe they'll crush town after town since they know they won't find Burnbright doing that. If we can avoid them, that's fine."

2. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I nod grimly at the boy's query as to my killing of a warg. "I did indeed. One good blow right in the eye. It seemed to like the taste of my hand so much, I didn't want it coming after the rest of me." I chuckle briefly.

"Biorn, is it? Sounds like a good strong name. I must say it's a pleasure to meet you. As for Keitsumah, she's a druid, not a witch."

Baldhart introduces Dalla, and I nod to the younger woman, recalling what I know of her. "A pleasure, Dalla."

When we are gathered again, I listen in silence to Mauve's tale of Aeron and the dragon. It's a lot to take in all at once. The reminder of Darin and his death, while necessary, is painful. And some people's attitudes are not making things easier. I keep my gaze away from Ankari. I must wonder what exactly goes on in his head when he speaks to us like that. I make no comment of it aloud, however. Inviting strife and discord will not help anyone.

"I agree, we should go to Drimmen-delve. If what you say is true, then we should warn the dwarves of what they are unearthing as soon as we possibly can."

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  3. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

It isn't enough the obstacles our enemies erect around us, my companions fabricate their own from nothing. The decision to go to the dwarves outweighs the decision to go to the gnolls. Their inability to adapt, think and act still surprises me, although it shouldn't.

"What prevents us from doing both? I'll go to Ghendra, with Dalla, and discover his disposition and intent. After I'm done, I'll follow the path you'll hack into the ground." I preempt any dissidence by throwing Nissa my coinpurse. "There is 19 gold and some silver. She'll need leathers, a solid cloak, sturdy boots, a backpack, a blanket, and a waterskin. If this doesn't cover it, buy what you can in the order I've outlined.

"You'll question why I bring Dalla with me to Ghendra. The answer is found behind your disdain for me. She will serve as witness to the exchange. I hope to forge an agreement between the two people. She will be my liason."

4. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

"Disdain? I believe most here have presented arguments without resorting to personal attacks. I even presented arguments on your side, even though I have no desire to align with the gnolls for my own reasons.

"There are more arguments against aligning with the gnolls than for. I won't repeat them, but I will emphasize the risk you take in conversing with them: that you will leave a trail that leads to us, which leads to Burnbright. I can fly to them without leaving a trail they can follow, which is the reason I offered to talk… if the group had in interest, which it does not.

"You want to know what motivates them, but in my last conversation, I learned something in a brutally honest conversation I had with Ghendra. I told him his attack on Srilkind contradicts his desire for peace with humans. Had his first interaction with humans been in Arendal, he would have a very good chance of reaching this goal.

"Here is what he told me, Ankari, and this is what you need to hear. He said he attacked Srilkind because he swore an oath to Aslaug. He referred to her as 'My Lady' and said he swore an oath to take her daughter. He then examined the children, and even called a little girl to him to get a close look, because she looked somewhat like Burnbright. When he saw it wasn't her, he agreed to leave us in peace only because it was evident that Catli was not with us.

"If he sees Catli, he breaks his oath if he does not kill us and take her. That he was willing to kill innocents in their homes, even though he is morally opposed to it, just to keep is oath—that is reason enough to believe he would turn on us and not even consider himself a traitor. By turning on us, he does not betray Aslaug. If you walk to him, the gnolls will follow your scent on the ground. You bring death to all of us just by walking to him.

"I do not know that for a fact, but surely you see the logic in my words. Surely you see that your action against the group risks everything. As you promised Baldhart in the forest, 'For Catli. Nothing more.' This path is very much against Catli. I would ask that you do not gamble with all of our lives."

5. Nihal

Nihal Vala

My breath comes hissing out of my mouth as I release it slowly. "Ankari... For all I know they are in the Taint by this hour. They had one day of advantage, I could not reach them last night. It was not for the lack of trying, I only turned back upon seeing the first lights of the dawn chasing the stars out of the sky.

"The dark lands are no place for reckless adventures. You will lose your way, and you will be found by creatures other than the gnolls. Not all of them are inclined to talk. Then there is the question of convincing the gnolls. Nissa is right where it comes to the difficulty of convincing them. What do you have to offer that is better than Aslaug's? Vain promises? Her power is concrete, your offer, unfortunately, is not."

(( Now they might be walking away from Arendal, the most active players are aware and agreed in moving. :) ))

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  6. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

"I did see the gnolls close to the Taint from the air earlier. They were distant shadows, tall ones, short ones, unmistakably warg-shaped shadows… and I can fly faster than they march, but at this point, I would need to enter the Taint. Having seen their path, finding them would be a possibility for me, but I'm not confident I could get back to the group before nightfall—only that I could leave the Taint by nightfall. One who walks is not likely to outpace the gnolls, especially accompanied by one who lacks experience in the wilderness.

"However, the only reason I had considered flying to them earlier at all—with the group's consent—was that I thought the we were headed toward Verstenn Hold, which would make crossing the gnolls' path unavoidable. The path to Drimmen-Delve—and I'd like to think we fully agree on that at this point—means that we will not see the gnolls unless they anticipate our mountainside journey, and intentionally seek us. We should consider that they seek Burnbright if they do. I don't think they believe the lie that Burnbright was shipped south. When they see us, they will know we lied about Burnbright not being with us. So another strike against us; the gnolls will not break an oath to Aslaug to side with those who twice deceived them. Even if they joined us, the dwarves would label us the enemy for marching with monsters. You may call that an unfair judgement, but we are a party made of elves and women warriors about to enter the home of many dwarves. Perhaps thousands of them live there. All but Bressel will be judged by appearances. We don't need to create another means that will cast doubt against us.

"Please, Ankari. Heed my advice and remain with the group. Baldhart had plans for Alfoss as well, but the plans must be sacrificed because Mauve has given us a clear direction. Our quest was aimless without this information. Now it is not." Holding up the coin purse, I add, "I will see that Dalla is properly geared as you ask. You should all move northwest while I shop."

((If the party's already moving, she says, "Keep moving. I will catch up easily after shopping."))

I hover in place, only to remain if spoken to. Baldy can do the talking while I shop.

((@SP, Nissa buys what Ankari said, and will spend some of Baldy's money if Ankari's funds are a bit short. She has ~70g on her.))

7. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

My heart constricts more and more with fear by this chatter of what can happen to us. I lay a hand on Batos's shoulders and clench my fingers in his fur, and the wolf's ears flick about, listening just as i am. A growl -too low for the human ear, but for an elf easily heard- throbbs in his chest, a menacing sound that I have only heard once or twice before. I use my other hand to pull my hood over my face and wrap myself up in the grey skin. I feel safer like this, alone in silence with just Batos by my side.

I look down and meet the wolf's glowing blue eyes and see the rune on his forehead again. I trace it with one finger, the symbol strange and unknown to me. I have never cast a binding spell to him,since i found him as a pup, he seemed easilly tamed. But now i am not so sure whether i really tamed him, or whether he was intelligent enough to stay with me of his own will.

I pull my hand away and look grimly around. I cannot do much, i am nearly useless in a fight. But i can help in other ways, like i have been told. I must not let fear overtake me, or i will be less than worthless to the people who have saved my life.

((not sure whether i can do a pre-determined spell and store it in the necklace beforehand or not, so if i can't just ignore this next bit))

I grit my teeth and cup my hands, hidden beneath the cloak so none can see what i am doing. At most, i look like i am praying, head bowed to Brynhild, which i am doing.

I ask for strength in the coming days. I ask for safety for my freinds, and if i must, i would sacrifice myself for them. We cannot fight this without all the strength we can muster. I am merely a leaf in the wind now, with Batos at my side as a wayward sword. But even he cannot fight for two.

I attempt to create a healing spell and draw upon the life energy, seeking to store it in my necklace for later use:

[​IMG]

((I think the cure light wounds spell had a max of eight health? i did a roll before with a d20 and got eleven, but i figured that was the wrong dice so i switched to this one.))

8. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

I don't want to interrupt Keit, as she appears to be praying. I pray, too. In silence now, but later with Burnbright, Keitsumah and Nissa, we pray together…

I pat Batos on the head. Keit can pray without my big mouth in the way. This wolf is extraordinary. If I speak, he understands me.

"Batos," I whisper, "when Nissa shops, would you follow her? Ankari's asking for the tiny valkyrie to carry too many things. She already crashed into a tree once. I think her little body tires easily. She'll drop everything and come back with only pine needles. Don't tell her I said that." Wait. What's he gonna say, rhaldy rhed rhoo a rheekling? "And you mustn't follow her into the store, okay? You need to stay on the edge of town, understand?" Oh, the puppy-dog eyes. Cute! "Now, don't look at me like that. Even Nissa's wings will likely cause panic if they're seen in the next human town. But I promise, no need to hide when we get to Drimmen-Delve."

I talk too much. Did he really understand all that? I watch to see what he'll do.

9. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

"Very well, pixie. I'll remain with the group for Catli's sake. Do you see how I make concessions? A time will come when I will tire of being bent to the will of the blind and act without consultation."

I lead Della away from the group and offer her an arrow. "This is the most powerful weapon a warrior can weild. It requires more training than a sword, can kill an enemy from a safe distance, and is silent until it's too late to react."

Before a person is trained to shoot, they must understand the missle itself. They must know the weight of the arrowhead, the purpose of fletching, and the importance of unwarped wood. The lesson is boring, but necessary. "Tonight we will practice with the bow. When Nissa comes back, I'll explain the fundementals of armor. Do you know how to use the knife?"

SeverinR likes this.
  10. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

"Thank you," I say. I waste no more words and fly as promised.

Baldhart

I watch Batos to see if he'll follow Nissa.

When Ankari asks if Dalla knows how to use a knife, I whisper to Keitsumah, "We may find out when I sleep."

((I'm assuming Baldy is far enough from Ankari/Dalla that she can whisper to someone who wasn't in that last conversation and Dalla won't hear it.))

I speak so the group can hear. "I'll take first watch when we get to the point that we set up camp."

11. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

Batos

I rub my tongue along my teeth and glance at keitsumah for a minute, considering Baldhart's words, but decide that since this has already been planned -and keitsumah is bound to be safer with Cadell and Balhart than on her own- i will go.

I bob my head in a nod and slip into the forest behind Nissa. I do try to remain mostly unseen, but eventually give up that endeavor and lope in the open where the valkyrie can see me.

Keitsumah

I clap my hand over my mouth to stifle a laugh at Baldhart's remark, but a giggle escapes regardless.

12. Nihal

Nihal Vala

The old ranger is back, huzza. I roll my eyes and make no comment, trying to muster energy to ask more questions to Masama or Baldhart. Perhaps I should just leave it for another day, we'll have a plenty of them in the wilderness.

"It would be unwise to let me take the watch today. I do not trust myself to keep awake and alert this night," I say once Baldhart mentions taking the first one.

13. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

"That's fine, Mauve. But…" I move closer to her. No need to blurt out my concern. "…any chance I can wear the slippers on my watch? I suspect Dalla's knife is meant for my throat. Ankari talked her into the notion of revenge for Tommen, but she knows I killed him. I don't want her harmed… I just think you and others should know of the potential threat she is, only to me. And I think I should sleep away from the group after my watch the first few nights, and the slippers would help me find ways to move without leaving a trail—or even to a place where I can't be followed.

"If she doesn't sneak into my tent brandishing her knife, maybe I worry about nothing."

14. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"I do not mind lending you the slippers, but are you sure this is the best way to deal with the situation? Sleeping closer the group is safer, if everyone were to sleep apart we would be easier targets, and the group more vulnerable. I do not like the idea of having to change our ways to accommodate a possible threat, and she should be watched closely.

"I know our group thinks everything is flowers, but the fact she was close to Calexa's servant does not her less suspicious like the ranger paints. I am not suggesting she should become our prisoner," I glance at Baldhart with an unsaid 'like I was', "but to be careful around her, make sure she does not contact Aslaug and betrays the girl to her mother. A little caution does no harm.

"And if you are worried about revenge I will sleep at your tent's entrance." I stretch and crack my spine. "Having to step over a wicked thing like me should further discourage her from getting revenge on someone as big as you."

15. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

"A prisoner like you. I thought that was disgraceful. But you're right about how to deal with Dalla. I don't want to sit in a tree and see if she'll chase me. I need to be near the children. It also occurs to me that Batos is easily alerted, and she won't step over him either."

I look as Ankari gives Dalla a lesson. "Deadliest weapon indeed," I mutter.

I tell Mauve, "I don't know why I even led her here. I failed to talk her out of this stupid revenge business, but I could've easily walked away. I was worried about Dalla going off on her own and getting killed—or worse, had she tried to get a group of men to follow her. I was also thinking that Ankari would lighten up if… never mind. Bad advice from my uncle."

16. Legendary Sidekick

((Come to think of it, I would like to post how the greeting would go.))

Nissa

When we catch up to the party, I dismount Batos and introduce Roderick to everyone. I fly to Baldhart and say, "And Roderick, this is my cousin, Baldy."

Baldhart

I ask Nissa for a word in private. She tells me how she met Rod, and well… she's my boss, so it's not like I was about to give her crap for inviting him here.

I tell Rod my proper name. "Baldy's short for Baldhart. Baldhart Eisenberg. I'm from the Iron Mountain, I serve Brynhild.

"So, Nissa tells me you were caught off-guard without your weapon and armor. Me too. I was taking a bath when those fish demons decided I was a snack. I almost had to fight naked and unarmed."

Nissa scoffs, "Almost."

I go on… "I ended up ditching my sword anyway, though, when the docks collapsed. I used my hands to get others to safety, then I used my hands to kill. I find unarmed combat is more versatile than swordplay, and if you don't mind my saying, more fun. So without regret, no more blades and armor for me! Well, one regret. I wish I thought of that before I had bronze plate custom fit. Armor like this sells for 200 on my mountain, but Arn* only charged me a quarter that amount."

Nissa says, "That's because he touched your boob when he was measuring you."

"Two regrets, then, "I tell Nissa, "but I was going to ask Rod if prices are higher in Ballara. Maybe I can make a small profit." She had to tell the world I was groped. "I am a nun, Roderick. A nun and a proper lady."

*((Arn = local smith who just left town, so Rod didn't see him the day he met Nissa))

17. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"That's great, you picked another one on the road?" I can feel my temper getting sourer. "Hello there," I say to him, crossing my arms. "Listen, if you are afraid of a bit of magic you'd better return to wherever you came from. If you decide to travel with us and feel tempted to turn any mage in... well, you will wish you did not.

"Now hold still." I stand some feets away from Roderick, concentrating and skillfully controlling the flow of energy to detect any magic on him. Perhaps not so skillfully, for it takes me a few tries to work my spell, wearing me further down. Once I succeed I walk away from him. "You will excuse my jarring manners, but I lack the stamina to remain pleasant, sociable or anything like that. Try to talk to me after I get some sleep."

(( Mauve should be with dark circles under her eyes by now, and she's looking a bit wild, messed hair, some scratches on her hands and face.

In case anyone is curious: #1, runaway, #2, runaway, #3. Did you miss my old rotten luck? ))

18. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart, as travel begins…

I suggest to Keit and Liadan that they see all the berries I picked are turned and purified daily—and since I didn't do all that berry-picking for fun, I'll ask how the berries are doing every day. I figure within three days, all 53 should be Goodberries. Every person can keep 4 berries until I find an opportunity to pick more.

19. PlotHolio

PlotHolio Sage

Roderick

I barely contain a scoff when Baldhart calls herself proper. I can't deny the lady part, though. There's just something about warrior women... "I don't know much about armor prices. A common fault in mercenaries is that we're not very frugal. I buy what I like, no matter how much it costs."

Mauve starts talking about mages out of the blue. I don't know why; the only remotely magical person I've seen so far was Ni-- "Eeeep!" I yelp involuntarily as Mauve begins casting magic at me. My panicked mind takes over for a moment, telling me about all the terrible things that Mauve could do to me, before I regain rational thought. If she was going to hurt me, she would not have given me the tirade about mages. Or would she?

Heh. Witches.

"Er..." I begin. "No. I don't really have a problem with magic. Just try not to cast it at me, and we'll get along just fine." I hope.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  20. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Aliron sits down at a distance, watching the group introduce themselves to the new arrival. Eyeing the man's equipment.

Bressel charges up and offers a hand,
    "I am Bressel McAlmond, also from the Iron Mountain."

Aliron calls out from the rock he is sitting on,
    "and I am not impressed, JUst a warning to you stranger, try to harm any member in this group, especially the younger ones and you will not be long for this world."

Bressel:
    "Always showing that elven charm. He grows on you...like fungus." Bressel laughs, then adds with seriousness, "He don't trust no one, but he will have your back in battle." Bressel hesitates, then adds,"that could be good or bad, depending on who's side your on."

Aliron;
    "Also, when you think you are safe from me, my arrow will find you. I can curve an arrow to hit almost anywhere and I am most dangerous in the dark and when you do not see me."

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014