1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act III

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell -- Past, with Biorn

The others seem eager to get moving, but there is still something I want to say to Biorn -- or rather, to ask him. Crouching down so I am not so tall, I look him in the eye.

"You seem like an eager young lad. I wasn't joking when I said I think you're wise enough to know what becoming a knight really entails. How would you like to come along as my squire? I may not be a proper knight anymore, but as the saying goes, 'those who can't do, teach'!" I grin, then sober quickly. "I advise you to give this a good deal of thought. The road we're taking is very dangerous. We will do our best to protect you, but death is a risk we all must take." I think of Darin and try not to wince.

Liadan looks over at me with a raised brow. "Are you sure about this, Cadell? One more child in the company may not go over well with the others."

"He is older than the youngest," I tell her. I look at the boy again, trying to discern his age. I tend to have trouble guessing when it comes to mortals. I hope he's not too much younger than Catli.

Cadell -- Present

I look around as Nissa brings a newcomer to the group.

"Cadell," I introduce myself, holding out my right hand to the new man -- I doubt he wants to shake an empty gauntlet. "This is Liadan, my lover." I nod to her.

2. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I glance over my shoulder, directing my wickedest smile at Roderik. I really shouldn't joke with this, but his yelp was amusing. Some small japes wouldn't hurt anyone, would they?

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

The boy, Biorn, stares at Cadell, wide-eyed. He looks to be around nine years of age, perhaps ten. His eyes flicker to Cadell's hand, but then back to Lluchden. "A...squire? I heard about them too. They travel around with knights and do stuff for 'em. I'd...that would be...hang on!" The boy seems excited, turning on his heels and dashing down the dirt path yelling "Ma!...Ma!"

He returns moments later, practically dragging a woman in her mid-thirties with sandy hair and a heavy, woolen dress. She wears an apron over the dress and has a handful of rags in her hand, the side of her face streaked as though she has wiped at it with dirty hands.

"Here now, what's this about runnin' off with me boy?"

"Ma!" Biorn says. "You have Adda still. With me learnin' to be a knight, it'll be one less mouth ta feed. And once I get all learned and can make my way, I can come back and take care of both of you."

"Ma," whose name turns out to be Reeta, has a hand closed protectively around Biorn's wrist. "I don't know..." She looks over Cadell and Liadan. "Where you mean to be off to? All I got left is me bairns. I...I just don't know."

Biorn seems rather enamored by the whole idea of knights and glory, however.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  4. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

"Eeeep!" I glance up when someone yelps, then my eyes widen when i see the newcomer. Roderick was it?

"Er..." he says. "No. I don't really have a problem with magic. Just try not to cast it at me, and we'll get along just fine." I glance at Mauve in momentary dissaproval, but remain quiet. Batos pads over to me and i rub one hand over his head. I decide i shoud introduce myself as well, and walk over to the stranger.

"I'm afraid you will have to get used to me doing that then." i comment as i walk over to him. "My name is Keitsumah. I am a Druid like Mauve, but our methods are... different." i try to hide the wince. "Batos is my companion. He will fight alongside you if need be, so please do not attack him. I do not know many spells yet, but those that i am knowlegable of are mostly healing spells."

A faint, but sad smile crosses my face then. "I may be able to heal physical wounds, but every wound leaves its scar, even with the aid of magic to heal."

5. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell -- Past

I straighten up and incline my head to Biorn's mother. "As far as I'm aware, we intend to head to the Dwarf-city of Drimmen-delve, some two weeks' journey from there. Beyond that, I cannot say. That is up to the group to decide." I look around at any others lingering nearby.

6. Steerpike

Biorn's mother looks aghast. "The Drimmen-...dwarves!" She puts a hand protectively on Biorn's shoulder. "You mean to be takin' me boy into the Taint?"

Biorn straightens and turns to his mother. "The dwarves! Ma, I'd get to see where the dwarves live! All them halls and buildings carved down beneath the earth, just like in the stories! Besides, someone's gotta fight."

"And it don't have to be you," says Reeta.

Biorn presses his lips together, then says "Da would'a let me go. He knew how important all this is."

Reeta opens her mouth to reply, then closes it again. She turns to Cadell and says "I suppose Biorn's got a lot of his Da in him. I always knew he did, I just thought I'd have him a few more years..." she trails off, dabbing at her eye. Then she straightens again and says "if he goes with you, you'll keep in safe? I'll want your oath on that. Knight have to follow their oath, don't they?"

7. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I meet Reeta's eyes and hold her gaze when I reply. "I swear to you, madam, I will do everything in my power to keep your son safe and well." I hold out my right hand to seal the oath with a shake.

8. Steerpike

Reeta considers Cadell's words silently, then looks down to see the hopeful look in Biorn's eyes. The woman takes Cadell's hand in a firm grip, then bends down and sweeps Biorn into a hug and the two remain like that for a few moments. When Reeta rises her eyes brim with tears, but she shows a certain amount of pride looking down at the boy.

To Cadell she says "I always knew he'd be wantin' to make his own way in the world, far from Arendal. I just wasn't ready to see it come so soon. You take care of my boy, or if there's a way to haunt you after I pass, I'll find it!" She smiles ruefully at the last statement, but tears fall onto her cheeks.

She turns back to Biorn. "You best run along and get whatever you'll need. I reckon the knight can let you know what that'll be. And go find Adda...she's going to be upset."

9. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I nod solemnly at Reeta's threat, whether she truly means it or not.

To Biorn, I say, "You'd do best to pack light. Two weeks' worth of rations, a bedroll and blanket, perhaps a change of clothing and a spare pair of boots. Don't forget a cloak. And most importantly, a weapon. Armor of some sort would be an asset as well, but if we have no time to get some in town I will lend you my shield." I pause, then add, "And perhaps some parchment, ink and quills. No doubt your mother would appreciate a letter now and again." I look to Reeta with a smile.

10. Steerpike

Biorn cocks his head and looks at his mother. "How much do I eat in two weeks?"

Reeta shakes her head, and finally a full grin breaks through. "Come on, I'll help you."

Before the head off to see Biorn outfitted for his journey, Reeta turns back to Cadell. "I'll do what I can about the armor. Never had no call for anything like that, but I'll ask around and see what I can do to find something that'll fit the boy. As for a weapon, I've got a long knife that belonged to me own Da. I reckon that'll have to do for now. You see to it the boy writes me."

11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I chuckle at Biorn's question, and affirm that I'll oversee his letter-writing. As the pair move off, I make sure I have everything I need as well, so I can rejoin the others that much sooner. No point in telling the lad what to do if I can't keep track of my own affairs!