1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act IV

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 26, 2014.

  1. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Nissa

    Skivver believes the elves will not know. I tell the kids, "I believe him. You just have to keep still, and keep quiet."

    I turn to Alin and say, "Can you give the children the ring Baldhart gave you? They'll need it in order to wait in that cold tunnel and survive."

    I fly to Alin to accept the anti-cold ring.

    I tell Skivver, "I'll help get the children up. I can fly quickly to catch up with the others."

    Hmm... Skivver and I aren't exactly equipped to pull children up a rope. Both of us and Gunnar should be enough to handle Abbi.

    I say to Gunnar, "I assume you're good at climbing trees?"
     
  2. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    510
    113
    Aliron
    Aliron hands off the ring.
    "I told Skiver, I guess I need to tell you. I do not like the term yellow elf. Light elf, is probably much better. Yellow has a second meaning of scared or fearful, cowardous. I take offense to the term yellow elf.
    Call me Aliron or call me light elf, even Moon elf would be acceptable."

    "While they take the children, Ankari and I can scout ahead, maybe one liz...I mean kobold with us and one with the main group?"

    "Or the silent movers go first, and noisy members follow, if we go together?"
     
  3. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Baldhart

    "I prefer we move together so I can start cracking some skulls. I should stay some paces back from you, since you're quieter and you've got better eyes. Just point the way when you find someone to kill."

    I turn to Tarlack. "As their leader, I'm sure you've considered that we might encounter some of your people and some dark elves at the same time. Any thoughts on how to keep your people safe from the elves?"
     
  4. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Nissa

    When Alin gives me the ring, I turn to Burnbright. I tell her, "We don't know how strong this enemy is. There's always a chance we'll lose the battle. Burnbright, these children can't hide in that tunnel forever, and you know Dalla and Biorn are at the farmhouse.

    "If we're to believe the children can hide there, then you can stay with them. Branwen, too. If half a day passes, give us up for dead and go to Dalla."

    If anyone objects to our own children hiding there, then I would say we leave no child in there. Those we rescue are not expendable.

    If Burnbright is to stay with the children, I'll give her the ring. She knows it will keep the children from freezing, and she won't think it's evil and fling it somewhere.

    No matter what, I'll be there when Skivver leads the children to safety.
     
  5. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    510
    113
    Bressel raises his hand, listening, then adjusts his hands on his sword, but doesn't raise it, motions with his head, down the hall.
    Bressel looks at Masama, seeing he heard it too.

    Aliron sees Bressel's action and readies an arrow. But Bressel puts a hand up again. Holds it about as high as the children we have.
    Aliron nods and moves to a position he can see down the hallway, attempts to hide. hide/open locks [1d20+4] = 9+4 = 13
    Arrow ready but not drawn.
     
  6. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Nissa

    I see Bressel's signal. I hand Burnbright the ring. "Looks like we stay here," I whisper. It's not just a battle for grown-ups, so I also tell her, "Your spear. Your choice."

    I glide closer to where the action will be.



    Baldhart

    I edge toward the front, ready to spring if an enemy shows. A naive hope of children fleeing captors pops into my head. Best I think of the elves whose skulls I'll crush…
     
  7. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,171
    3,498
    413
    When asked about climbing trees, Gunnar brightens. "Am I good? Am I ever!" He proceeds to regale Nissa with a story about climbing up an old tree to get one of Abbi's dolls out of the branches. As it turns out, Gunnar threw the doll up there in the first place, but since he managed to retrieve it all was forgiven.

    Burnbright looks somewhat dejected at the idea of being sent with the children. She looks down at the spear in her hands, testing her grip, probably having flashes back to dropping her weapon in the snow. She's about to say something when Bressel's hand goes up and she snaps her mouth shut. She takes the ring from Baldhart, pockets it, then turns back toward the door, spear held defensively.

    Within seconds, the sounds outside the room become loud enough for everyone to hear. A light pattering of footsteps and at least two voices carrying on a conversation in the kobold tongue. Gunnar puts an arm around Abbi and pulls her back into their cell, then peers around the door frame to see what is going on. Everyone else takes up their position and waits.

    Two kobolds come blithely around the corner, and get half a step into the room before they realize something is wrong. The larger of the two wields a spear and is speaking harshly to his smaller companion, who has only a dagger. The large one stops speaking, eyes wide as he takes in the party and their companions. The smaller kobold lets out a squeak and casts a quick look back over his shoulder.

    Tarlacks snaps out a few words in the kobold language, and the smaller one straightens and faces him. The larger kobold tenses and stretches one foot out behind himself, looking for all the world like he's about to bolt back up the stairs.
     
  8. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Baldhart

    I stand beside Tarlack. I am unarmed, so I suppose I seem passive enough with my hands at my sides.

    ((Don't look threatening.))
    [​IMG]
    ((Oh well.))

    My guard appears lowered, but it is not. The big one may be Tarlack's replacement. Maybe he likes Tarlack being behind bars.

    "Is everything alright, Tarlack?"

    I do not voice my suspicion, but if the big guy tries anything funny, I'll grab him.
     
  9. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,171
    3,498
    413
    Tarlack hisses almost inaudibly, so that only Mauve, Baldhart, and others nearby can make out his words. "Stop the big one. He will go for elfs. But do not hurt."

    He snaps another command at the kobolds and the small one drops his dagger. The other licks his lips and completes his half-step, coming to rest on his back foot.

    ((The movement by the big one is still slight; nothing sudden or overt)).
     
  10. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Baldhart

    Scary how much Tarlack and I think alike. I rush and tackle the big guy.

    As I close in I shout, "Don't move!"

    ::Intimidate::

    ((Grapple check - no damage roll - just restraining.))
    [​IMG]

    I might have him, but this is no time for pride. "Might need your arms, Masama."
     
  11. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,624
    879
    113
    Stop, but don't hurt. A stupid command when the target carries a spear. I sprint to block the path of the larger kobald. Should he react like the animal he resembles, I twist my ax around. He won't die, but he'll have a headache.

    ((I assume sprinting is relaxted to dexterity.))

    Sprint: [1d20+5] = 1+5 = 6
     
  12. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    510
    113
    Bressel
    Standing next to the entrance, Bressel hears the leaders orders,
    Bressel leaps onto the larger kobold. (#intimidate)
    [1d20+4] = 13+4 = 17 non-standard melee attack (Grapple and hold)
    (possibly more bonus if it didn't see Bressel.)


    Aliron
    Arrow still ready, he waits. He is good at killing, not at restraining. He points the arrow at the shorter kobold, in case it decides to run. An arrow held by a small elf is alot more intimidating then Aliron could be on his own.
    "I do not miss" Aliron warns the kobold. (statistically not true, but percentage is in Aliron's favor.)[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: rowcolor1"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
     
  13. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,171
    3,498
    413
    ((Three going after the kobold are basically acting at once; Bressel is closest).

    When Baldhart starts forward, the smaller kobold lets out a squeak and leaps to the side, jumping into Masama's chest. The big man wraps his arms around the creature, then pushes it to the ground, using one large hand to hold it down. The larger kobold starts to run as soon as Baldhart rushes, but Bressel is right there and he grabs hold of the kobold:

    [1d20] = 11

    The kobold tries to twist free, but it can't, and Baldhart is there an instant later lending her own strength to the effort. Between the two of them, they keep the kobold quite immobile. The creature twists it head around violently, trying to get a look at its surroundings, but its gaze falls on Ankari, approaching with his axe out, and the kobold suddenly goes deathly still, it's eyes locked on the approaching elf.

    Tarlack comes up on the group, nodding. "Put in cell. I need warriors when black elfs leave. Do not trust this one until then. Smaller kobold will help."
     
  14. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Baldhart

    I tell Bressel, "Ready when you are." Either of us could handle this weakling alone. Still, with the two of us, he'll know better than to resist.

    As we carry him to the cell, I say to the kobold, "Lucky for you, I made a vow to my goddess. As long as Tarlack's helping me free the kids, I won't harm his people, and he apparently still counts you among them. So count your blessings, and make no attempt to escape. If you do, it means you intend to see Tarlack imprisoned, the rest of your people enslaved, and my children killed. Any attempt to escape means I get to kill you without breaking my vow. I want to kill you. Don't give me an excuse."



    Nissa

    I say quietly to Tarlack, "An intimidation tactic. I mean, I believe every word she's saying, but her intent is to get the big guy in the cell unharmed like you want her to." The I-want-to-kill-you-part is a nice touch but... "Does he understand a word she's saying?"



    Baldhart

    When we get to the cell, I give the Kobold a good toss, figuring if I bounce him off the wall he won't have time to make a run even if he wants to.

    [​IMG]
     
  15. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    510
    113
    Bressel
    Bressel carries the kobold with Baldhart to the door, then allows Baldhart to carry it in.

    He quickly returns to the hall to ensure the little one won't run if given the chance. Also to guard against anyone else coming.
    Aliron
    "
    I will wait for the group down the hall."
    Aliron moves past Bressel and down the hall. The group is to crowded together when casters are about.
    [does aliron need to lock the door, or does it automatically lock when closed?]
    He waits for the kobolds to lead.

    alternate action: Aliron locks the door.( and moves down the hall as above)
     
  16. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,171
    3,498
    413
    Tarlack shrugs at Nissa's question. "He understand enough."

    The kobold leader's chest swells a bit as Baldhart and Bressel do what he has asked. Tarlack gives Skivver a meaningful look, then goes over to where Masama is helping the smaller kobold to its feet. By this time, Bressel and Baldhart have thrown their kobold in the cell. The kobold makes no effort to run, or to attach the two large warriors in any way. Instead, the kobold just pulls itself up so that it is sitting against the far wall, dusts itself off, and glares and anyone in its line of sight.

    The small kobold Masama was holding rubs at its neck ruefully, but doesn't make any effort to run. Tarlack snaps out a few sentences in the kobold language, to which the smaller kobold replies. The conversation continues a moment, with Tarlack jerking the occasion thumb over his shoulder to indicate members of the group and the small kobold answering with rapid, clipped sentences. Then Tarlack says something else, and the small kobold's voice drops in volume. The creature says a few more sentences worth of kobold words, to which Tarlack follows up one more time, then turns to the party after getting his reply.

    "News good and bad." He gestures toward the small kobold and the one in the cell. "The bad news, these two come get children. Black elfs already kill one with..." Tarlack trails off, trying to think of the right word. "What word for bad magic? They kill one with bad magic knife. Now have to wait before knife work again.

    "The good news, dark elfs not kill other children because they wait for knife. Good news means we have time." The kobold leader looks around at the group, his eyes fixing on Baldhart, then flicking to Mauve. "This not our fault. We not have time to save children yet. Our swear still hold."

    Gunnar and Abbi pale at the news, but they don't asked who was killed. Gunnar whispers something to Abbi, and she nods. The two are holding hands. Burnbright's features grow grim at the news, and Masama frowns. Tarlack looks to Baldhart and Mauve to answer before heading out of the room to lead the way to the elves.
     
  17. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Baldhart

    The sooner I get to kill someone the better. But not the kobolds. I slam the door shut and make sure it's locked. (If not, I'll ask Alin to help.)

    I look at Skivver, then at Tarlack. "I'm very disturbed by this... one is dead. But without Skivver's aid, we wouldn't have arrived in time anyway. I don't like it, but that is a fact.

    "My vow is to my goddess so I meant it, and I made the vow because without Skivver leading us here, Gunnar and Abbi would also be captured."

    I pray for the souls of the children. Brynhild... surely a valkyrie can guide those souls?


    "The knife's magic must recharge. The only consolation we have is that if we arrive quickly, the elves have an incentive to keep the children alive."

    I hand Tarlack the prisoner's spear. "Lead us to the other two. I think it's safe to say there isn't anyone here who wants those elves to survive this day."



    Nissa

    I tell the children, "I am sorry for your friend, but... it's time to hide you two and rescue the others."

    I say to Burnbright, "Your spear, your choice. If you hide with Gunnar and Abbi, then we can trust Branwen to stay with you as well. That said, part of following Brynhild is making decisions in battle. You're young, but... you've earned the right to make this decision. I'm not ordering you to stay. I'm asking.

    "You should understand that asking you to hide does not mean I doubt your ability. But I don't know how powerful the elves are, and a loss is worse for you than it is for the adults. The adults would simply die while you'd be kept alive for a ritual killing.

    "If we lose and you're with the kids, there's a chance you can get yourself and them to Dalla and escape to safety. They'd free the kobold first, and you'd hear them pass the garbage pile. Gunnar and Abbi might not know what to listen for; they might flee for nothing or not flee when they should."
     
  18. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    I purse my lips at the mention of the killing and the knife. Walking by them I glance at Tarlack, "How much time until the next death?"
     
  19. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Baldhart

    I don't know what plan Mauve's cooking up but…

    "Don't forget that the elves expect the kobolds are now bringing Gunnar and Abbi to them. If we move now and walk normally, they'll hear us but won't expect an attack. Tarlack, does your guy know how many elves await him? Magic users, archers or swordsmen?"
     
  20. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    510
    113
    Bressel
    "If we have the silent archers stay ahead, they might be able to do an aimed shot on the caster or casters, before they hear the group coming. We should tell Aliron since he is already waiting in the tunnel ahead." Bressel glances around, "Probably Ankari is ahead also." He shrugs, "it's hard to keep track of those two."
    "Can kobolds move silently? If they can't we need to tell the archers which way to go. If thye can, then the kobolds can show them."

    Aliron

    Aliron is waiting not too far ahead, against a wall listening and watching.
     
Loading...

Share This Page