1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act IV

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 26, 2014.

  1. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,171
    3,498
    413
    Burnbright presses her lips together, then looks down at the spear in her hands. She thinks only for a moment, then says. "I'll go with the kids. I'll make sure nothing happens to them. If you don't come back, I'll go find Dalla and we'll get the kids to a village." She moves to stand closer to Gunnar and Abbi, comforting with soft speech.

    Tarlack, meanwhile, interrogates the smaller lizard. They speak in the kobold language, and Skivver tosses in a comment here and there. Tarlack occasionally motions toward one of the party, or back toward his former cell, which now holds that larger of the two kobolds who came into the room.

    When he's done talking, Tarlack says to Mauve, "Don't know how long, exact. Long enough we can get to black elfs, I think. Maybe take at least few...hours?" His voice goes up slightly in octave with the question. "I know word for hour, but not understand how long it takes."

    Turning to Baldhart, Tarlack says "Two black elfs waiting for children to be brought. They take them to big room where witch waits. Two black elfs still at main entrance to tunnels, waiting for enemy. That you, I think. More kobolds wait with them.

    "Most black elfs have bow and sword. Witch uses big stick with ball at top. All black elfs make air dark sometimes, but only the witch do more magic. Big room have wall around. Witch in the middle, but wall area give place to hide. But we have to get there first. Eight kobolds there. They fight with us, I think. Not like black elfs. But they scared."

    Tarlack nods at Bressel's question as well. "Kobolds be quiet when want to."

    The kobold chief takes a step toward the hallway, with Skivver and the new kobold just behind him. "First, deal two black elfs. Then worry about rest."
     
  2. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    39
    28
    I give a quiet sigh of relief when I hear that only the female drow can cast more magic than a darkness spell. But the mention of the kobolds being scared worries me. If we don't do this right, they are apt to turn and attack us rather than side with us. I glance at Tarlack, then at Batos.

    The wolf senses my unspoken suggestion and gives me a look of disgust for a moment, but after a second growls and takes a careful step until he is closer to Tarlack.

    "Tarlack." I say slowly. "What if you were to ride on Batos's back? If the other kobolds were to see you on him, would they not be so scared? Would they feel brave, be more likely to join us? I worry that their fear of the dark elves might make them act badly, and choose to attack us for fear of what the dark elves might do to them instead."

    Batos watches Tarlack as i speak, judging the lizard.

    (If Tarlack agrees, Batos will help him onto his back by kneeling.)
     
  3. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    510
    113
    Bressel
    "We need to deal with the first two first. I think it best for the kobolds and our elves to go first,
    then those without armor.
    Have the silent movers attack, if Aliron is able to get up close(backstab), he might be able to silence one by himself, then Ankari could hit the other, and the armorless could move in quickly behind them and finish the other off.
    Then we can move on to the others."

    "For blind fighting, warriors use battle cries, judge where each person is. remember where they were last time you saw them and try to judge where they will move, if they can move. Casters cast only if you know where the dark elves are, and know that one of our group isn't.
    If we suprise them, maybe that root thing could hold the elves from moving. But might also get our people snared in it too.
    If we use the root, the archers might be able to get a lucky hit on them.
    Let the warriors know when the roots are done, so we can move in."

    "We really need to make sure they can't escape in the darkness. Children and kobolds lives depend on this. Please speak up if you have a plan."

    "Aliron awaits us, let's move before the enemy get suspicious."
     
  4. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Baldhart

    Before she leaves, I tell Burnbright, "There's something I've been meaning to tell you. If anything goes wrong and you have to run, go to Grimm's. Tell Grimm to send word to The Iron Mountain. My father is Rainhard Eisenberg. His brother Wolfgang is chieftain of my clan. I sent a letter home declaring you are my heir. Whether I'm alive or dead, you have a home on the Iron Mountain. All you need to do is claim it." I touch her cheek and say, "Not that I will die so easily. We can discuss this after I kill some elves."

    I move up to the front, telling Tarlack, "The children. Your people. We'll save as many as we can, hopefully all. It won't be easy. Just know that if any more innocents die, I blame the dark elves. We kill them together. Every last one of them."



    Nissa

    I thank Burnbright and give her a glow rock. "You have the ring for warmth and this rock will help you see. I know the children are in good hands. Should a kobold think to come in the way we did, tell him you freed Tarlack and Tarlack is fighting the dark elves."

    I fly to Alin with sword in hand. "If they run, I'll fly over them to block their escape. I believe Batos can catch up very quickly as well. Maybe Masama and Baldy can take them down with choke holds, then the blades can kill them quietly." I shrug. "Beating them to death is also fine. As long as they die."
     
  5. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    "No quiet way in, uh?" I mutter. "Tarlack, how high is the ceiling at the entrance tunnels and the witch's chamber?" The beginning of a plan starts to swirl in my mind.

    "Tell me which of her spells, which ones she knows. Before anything, can these elves see inside their conjured darkness?"
     
  6. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,171
    3,498
    413
    Tarlack's eyes grow wide when Keitsumah mentions riding Batos. The kobolds and the children seem reconciled to the fact that Batos is friendly, but so far none of them have come any nearer the wolf than they have to. Now, Tarlack straightens up and pulls his shoulder back.

    "Tribes in north keep wolfs. Great chieftain sometimes ride wolf in battle. I great chieftain," he jerks a thumb at his own chest, "but never have wolf to ride. Kobolds see wolf, they see how great I am. Help them fight strong!" Words, aside, Tarlack looks a bit nervous at the prospect of riding Batos, but also proud and excited at the same time.

    Burnbright has gathered Gunnar and Abbi, and she follows the group out and up the stairs, until you reach the side passage that leads back toward the trash heap. Burnbright accepts the ring from Nissa and listens to the valkyrie's counsel, as well as to Baldhart. She grips her spear tight and says "Just make sure you come back. All of you." She looks like she might want to hug people, but refrains, putting on her tough warrior face.

    Masama puts a hand on Burnbright's shoulder and says "Nothing in this life happens, but that Asra wills it. She has given you charge of these children. I do not believe she means you to fail. Nor the rest of us. We will find you."

    Burnbright nods, her eyes glistening in the light of the glow rocks, the unshed tears driving home how young she really is despite the battles she has seen recently. Gunnar and Abbi huddle next to her.

    "We may need help getting the kids up into the hole above the trash pile."

    Masama moves back to his position next to Bressel. "Your plan is good. Let us move quickly."

    Tarlack is unsteady getting on Batos' back, but he manages to do it, grabbing a handful of thick fur to steady himself. "Need weapon," he says, looking at members of group. Skivver and the other kobold stay a few feet away. They do look rather awed by the sight of Tarlack on the wolf's back, so maybe Tarlack is right about the effect on other kobolds.

    When Mauve asks about the layout of the room, Tarlack points to the ceiling. "Entrance room about same as here." The area you are in has ceilings around nine feet high. Not cramped, but there isn't a great deal of room. "Room with witch very high. Place built by dwarfs long time past. Witch room look like gathering...er...hall? Hall right word? Look like where dwarfs meet when they live here."

    He looks puzzled over the mention of spells. "Not know spells. Witch strong. Who know what witch can do? Black elfs see in dark. Witch room big. Maybe black elfs not make whole room dark."
     
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  7. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Baldhart

    I hand Tarlack the spear I took from the kobold he doesn't trust.

    I tell Masama, "I think Nissa's suggestion for us makes the plan real good." I say to the others. "If Masama and I get those elves in choke holds, don't hit the elves until they're sleeping. Then you can cut the throat when we let go." I won't let go of mine until he's dead. "They die quietly that way. Of course, be ready to hit them in case they escape our grips."



    Nissa

    I say to Keit, "Would you mind helping get the kids up, then rushing back to us? I think we have enough to handle the first two elves. For the bigger fight, we need everyone."
     
  8. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    39
    28
    Keit

    "Yes." I respond, then head toward Burnbright and the young ones, intending to lead them out.


    Batos

    I watch Keit move off and consider once again how I keep allowing these undignified things to happen to me. I glance at Tarlack from the corner of one eye but huff in assent. At least this Kobold seems smarter than the others. He's smart enough to fear me.

    But going into battle with a kobold on my back, let alone an inexperienced rider, drives me to take several careful steps to test the cheiftain's balance. Don't want a spear in the back of my head should he fall forward... I am aware to keep my gait smooth, but he needs to learn to ride quickly so he won't fall off in battle.

    Depending on whether or not he seems able to remain balanced well enough, I will take Tarlack through a walk, trot, then lope in a wide circle around the room. Then if he can handle that, i will test sharper turns and sudden stops. Should he fall off at any given point, i will stop and kneel so he can get back on. And if any of the little kobolds decide to laugh... well I'll just give them a small warning growl. Make sure they know I'm the one in control.
     
    Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  9. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,171
    3,498
    413
    Tarlack takes a spear and nods at Baldhart. He seems larger than his size suggests, swelled with pride at being on Batos' back. The kobold leader is nimble, and though he takes a moment to steady himself on the large wolf, he seems able to maintain his balance.

    Burnbright looks solemn, her jaw set, lips pressed straight. She gathers the children around her and says to Baldhart, "I swear by Veborg and all the shield maidens who ever lived that nothing will happen to these kids." Then she takes the kids, following Keitsumah into the darkness and casting only a single, torn look over her shoulder.

    Tarlack says something in kobold and Skivver slinks to the head of the ground, leading the party quietly up the stairs. At the top, there is a corridor branching to the left and right, and Skivver takes the right hand passage. The walls here are well-formed and lines with ages-old dwarven carvings. Skivver leads the group down the corridor, around a couple of turns, then slows further, one small hand raised to slow those behind him. He stops at the edge of yet another corner and motions around it, whispering "black elfs."

    By peering around the corner, the group can get a good look at what is beyond. The passageway continued for another fifty feet or so, then opens into a room dimly lit by fires burning in scones along the wall. At the far end of the room, directly opposite the corridor, is a stone door, closed. Two dark elves stand in front of the door. They're turned toward one another, and you can hear the soft sounds of conversation drifting down the corridor to you. One of the dark elves has a deck of cards in his hands, and appears to be performing tricks for the other elf, who selects a card, stares at it, and then slips it back into the pile. The dark elf with the cards starts shuffling them.

    The room is larger than the corridor, of course, extending to the left and right, but you can't see those areas of the room from your current vantage point.
     
  10. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Baldhart

    I see the enemies. I feel the wind on my face. They cannot pass through that door. They will die in seconds.

    I trust Aliron's arrow will arrive at the enemy before I do, but he doesn't need me to tell him to fire. I assume he'll be quick enough to shoot, if he hasn't already done so as my charge began.

    ((I'm assuming Alin's on the left -- I guess that's the better side for a right-handed archer to be on, if he is in fact right-handed. But the point is that Baldy's trying to charge in a way that wouldn't block Alin's view or throw his aim.))

    I charge down the right side of the hall. They're nice and close. A swift kick should knock one into the other!

    [​IMG]
    ((Oops... that's a 14. 3 STR + 2 BtH + 2 Charge))
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  11. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Nissa

    I watch Baldy charge forward. I decide to fly up, so Masama can move forward with her... and maybe Batos will bring Tarlack into the fray.

    I'll wait until all archers have fired before moving ahead myself.
     
  12. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,096
    1,469
    313
    Cadell

    As we move down the corridor, I clamp my bow into my gauntlet and nock an arrow. When Alin fires, I do the same, aiming at the elf he does not choose as his target.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Liadan

    I move forward after Cadell and take aim at the one he wounds. His shot was good, but it might not be enough to finish off the dark-elf.

    [​IMG]

    Damn. The dark-elf's pained reaction to Cadell's arrow makes mine miss completely. At least one of us hit him.
     
  13. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    510
    113
    Aliron:
    Moves around the corner, Baldhart charges ahead,
    Aliron raises the bow, making sure Baldhart isn't in the way, fires at the elf without the cards.
    normal to hit day arrow [1d20+6] = 2+6 = 8 ;damage[1d8] = 5

    Brussel:
    Waits for Baldhart to get close enough to prevent the elves from running, (allowing the archers to fire) Then charges after her. He will target the one she doesn't usig the 2handed sword.
    2 hand sword to hit[1d20+4] = 19+4 = 23 damage[2d6+3] = 7+3 = 10 I hope that it doesn't matter, but charge would add 2 more, so to hit is 25.
    A good solid strike against the elf.
     
  14. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    39
    28
    Batos

    I dash after Baldhart, keeping to the right and skimming along the wall. Hopefully Tarlack can hang on... I snarl and keep my head low as arrows scream past my ears, gathering my legs beneath me and running as fast as I can, but the charging barbarian even outpaces me. With a growl I glance to either side as I enter the room, quickly checking whether we are alone or not.

    If not, I will how a warning and attack the enemy without heasitation.
     
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  15. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,171
    3,498
    413
    Keitsumah

    Keitsumah takes a side corridor with the smaller children and Burnbright. They make their way back to the trash heap with the hole in the ceiling above it. Gunnar and Abbi both turn out to be able to climb a rope with little problem, Gunnar insisting on going before Abbi so he can "see what's up there" before the climbs up. Burnbright looks like she wants to go up ahead of anyone, but instead turns back to guard the corridor while the children go up.

    When Gunnar hisses "OK!" from up in the hole, Abbi goes up, and then Burnbright moves to the rope. She turns to Keitsumah. "Make sure everyone is careful. I'll sit with the kids until morning. If none of you..." her voice catches for a moment, "...if no one comes I'll take them to Dalla and the others."
     
  16. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    39
    28
    Keitsumah

    I nod, then lay a careful hand on Burnbright's shoulder. We hadn't spoken much, during the trip. But then I found I had always sort of lingered on the edge of the group with Batos. More focused on scavenging food like we had before we'd been captured. "We will fight to the last. Brynhild bless you, and keep you safe."

    With that, I turn and, though I will pause if she responds, head back to the group.
     
  17. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,171
    3,498
    413
    The Dark Elves

    Baldhart is first down the hallway, with arrows streaking past as she runs and the sound of Batos on her heels. Masama waits until arrows are loosed, since any more in the hallway will make shots impossible, and then follows on with a charge of his own. The dark elves are become aware of the attack at the last moment, as Baldhart crashes down upon them and missile fire hisses into the room.

    The dark elf with the cards is on the right, and the object of Baldhart's charge. The elf's eyes widen and he shouts out what may be a curse in the drow tongue, just barely spinning away from Baldhart's attack and sending cards flying into the air. His spin lines him up for Cadell's shot and an arrow thuds into his torso just above the waist, punching through rings of chain mail the dark elf wears beneath his clothing. The dark elf hisses and swipes his knife out of its sheath.

    Aliron's arrow whistles past the other drow and shatters against the stone door. That drow already has his own knife free by the time Bressel slams into him, launching the drow into the stone door. The drow bounces off the door, keeping his feet but looking momentarily dazed by the attack.

    Liadan's attack misses the drow who was holding the cards, the dark elf having twisted away from her shot inadvertently when being hit by Cadell's attack.

    Masama is already moving swiftly and quietly down the hallway, having chosen the target opposite that of Baldhart. Even after Bressel gets his tremendous hit in, it is too late for Masama to change tack:

    Charge! [1d20+8] = 9+8 = 17

    [1d6+3] = 6+3 = 9

    The already-dazed drow doesn't even have a change to register Masama's bulk as it slams him one again against the stone door. This time there is a crack that sound disturbingly like bone, and the drow slumped motionless to the ground.

    Masama's quietness stands in stark contrast to the howl of Tarlack, which wavers somewhere between exhilarated and terrified as he streaks down the hallway on Batos' back. Yelling in the kobold tongue, Tarlack assesses the room as Batos enters, then leans forward (mostly steadily) on Batos' back and jabs his spear at Baldhart's dark elf.

    ((Tarlack's to-hit bonus is canceled out by his negative for a mounted attack, which he's not good at))

    [1d20] = 5

    Tarlack's spear misses the dark elf so completely that the dark elf appears not to have noticed it, his eyes fixed on Baldhart.

    Skivver and the other kobold watch from the safety of the corridor.

    The dark elf who was holding the card is the only one who remains on his feet, an arrow in his site dripping blood. He looks at the assembled group and his fallen comrade and drops his knife, hands moving slowly up so they're outspread and even with his head.

    The drow fixes his eyes on Baldhart even as his knife clatters against the stone. "I yield." The words sounds like a curse. The drow's common speech is clear and easily understood.
     
  18. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Baldhart

    "Did you spare the children when they 'yielded?'"

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    As I choke the life from him, I say in a low voice, "Did you laugh at the little girl when her ribs were broken? Were you the one who kicked her? Laugh at this, asshole. A big girl is about to kill you with her bare hands. That pretty little girl will live, and your corpseā€”it will not be so pretty.

    "I won't laugh as your brain leaks out your eyeless sockets, but I promise I will enjoy killing you."
     
  19. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Nissa

    I fly close to Baldhart.

    I tell the others, "Please do not intervene with Baldhart's attack unless the enemy escapes her grip. If she's doing what I think she's doing, this should only take a couple seconds."
     
  20. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,171
    3,498
    413
    The drow's eyes go wide, as he was clearly expecting to be taken hostage. He tries to twist away, but it is too late. The drow's eyes flick toward other members of the group as Baldhart chokes him. Masama stands impassively. Tarlack gaps in amazement.
     
Loading...

Share This Page