1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act IV

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 26, 2014.

  1. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    527
    113
    Bressel (lvl.2 barbarian)
    The slowest in the group due to armor and heavy weapons, Bressel stays with the Burnbright and Branwyn.

    The group is divided, the mission requires Burnbright be safe, and the bird child has sung her way into the heart of many of the group, if not all.

    "I don't like that the group is divided. We need to follow after them, so we don't end up getting ambushed while the rest of the group is away. We don't have to run, but a quick pace. Then if we are needed, we can help that fight, but if that is the diversion, then we won't be so far away no one will hear our battle."
    ((this works even if the rest of the group stays.))
    Bressel picks up Branwen and moves forward at his best pace, his armor and weapons clanging as he runs.
    "Go, we will catch up."
    I assume Burnbright can keep up.

    Staying with Branwen:
    Roderick, Bressel
    Going soon: Mauve
    away:
    Baldhart, Massama, Baltos(?), Nissa, Aliron, Ankari

    Aliron:
    Follows Ankari at a distance, using stealth and concealment, watching for any movement ahead(other then Ankari) Listening for anything in the distance. Arrow at the ready.
    Listen: [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4 (race-non-prime=Wis)
    [non-prime ability check, not good]

    I assume we travel by day?
     
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  2. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    464
    83
    ((Clarification: Mauve is not staying, she's running too, but she's making sure Burnbright and Branwen can keep up. Unless they are staying, then she'll make sure they have enough protection first before running to the Taint on her own.))
     
  3. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,259
    3,604
    413
    Before

    Dalla doesn't seem to like Ankari's arguments about Baldhart, at least not at first. Through her training and conversation with Ankari, she begins to reconsider. "I'll do better, Ankari. Baldhart says Tommen attacked her first. I know it's not really her fault, it's just...I'm so angry, and she's here and Aslaug isn't."

    By the day before the party reached the smoldering farm, Dalla has stopped flashing hateful looks at Baldhart, and will even speak civilly when spoken to. She still appears to have a dislike for the large woman, but it also appears that she is struggling to put it behind her.

    Now

    ((Note, there is a fair amount of distance between where the group stopped and the farm house, so by the time Nissa gets back to the group and they all start heading for the farm, Ankari and Aliron will have a substantial head start in tracking the foe. The group will catch up, however, as they are running and Aliron and Ankari are not)).

    When Nissa turns to fly back toward the group, Ankari and Aliron follow the tracks, Ankari following the tracks directly while Aliron moves, fleet-footed, through the trees nearby. The trail winds along the mountain, through trees, around rocks, and across open land, always climbing higher up the hillside as it goes. It is clear as the two party members move ahead that the trail is winding slowly toward the crown of the hill, which is actually clear of Taint. A couple of times, the trail gets so close to the Taint that a faint, foul odor catches the breeze, and those passing near experience a vaguely uneasy feeling and the sense of some background level of magical power on the air. But the trail itself never goes directly into the Taint, skirting it at times in such a way so as to appear that whatever made it was no more interested in going into the Taint than the party members.

    Ultimately, Ankari and Aliron find themselves just short of the crown of the hill. There is some structure there, large, standing stones, most of which have been long since toppled, weathered by wind, and cracked by ice. But there is still the vague sense of a perimeter, as though these stones are remnants of some structure that once stood here. Two particularly large pieces form a triangular opening onto the top of the hill, and may once have been part of an arch.

    The stones, in combination with trees that grow in and around them, prevent any view of what lays beyond, at the top of the hill. It is clear, however, that the trail Ankari and Aliron have been following leads through the small, triangular opening in the stones.

    When Nissa returns and most of the group set off at a sprint, Masama kneels in front of Branwen, says something to the small harpy, then dashes ahead to catch up to Baldhart.

    Branwen is by far the slowest member of the group, and any who linger with her will very quickly find themselves left behind. Burnbright stays back, holding Branwen's hand and moving her across the frozen ground as quickly as she will go.

    Dalla stands a moment, scanning the horizon - perhaps looking for Ankari. As Roderick rushes past her, she too starts to run, but Burnbright calls out from behind "Dalla! Help me with her!"

    Dalla turns to see Burnbright trying to hurry the harpy child along. Most of the party is already well ahead, except for Mauve, who has remained near enough to make sure the children are getting along. Dalla turns and yells to Mauve: "Go! I'll help them."

    Then Dalla runs back to Burnbright, and the two of them begin hurrying the child along toward the treeline, where they will be somewhat hidden, with Bressel keeping a sharp eye for enemies and moving with them.

    The bulk of the group rounds the first hill and passes the scene of the ruined farm, Baldhart leading the way on the ground (Nissa is ahead of her), at least until Cadell, who has the benefit of a horse, gallops onward. Roderick is well within the main pack, which also includes Batos and Keitsumah.

    Near the top of the hill, Aliron and Ankari's ears pick up the sound of the approaching party. From his vantage point, Ankari sees Nissa moving up the side of the hill, and then beyond her the vast majority of the group dashing up the hillside, Cadell at the fore with Baldhart and Masama leading those on foot. Aliron, from his place hiding in the trees, hears the group in the distance but cannot see them.

    ((NOTE: Anyone who hasn't posted yet and doesn't want to be where they are stated to be, above, just let me know. For those who haven't had a chance to post, I just assumed you moved with the main group.

    Also, regarding Roderick and the children, I'm not sure what that was about as there is no horde of children, only Burnbright and Branwen (and Burnbright doesn't consider herself a child, but that's another matter), so I didn't response to that directly because I think it was just a misunderstanding of the group composition)).
     
  4. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    Nissa

    I fly up, but I won't enter the Taint if I don't have to. I work my way above Ankari and Aliron.

    ((If Nissa is able to catch up to Ankari this round, she tries to see what she can of the stone structure from above.
    [​IMG]
    WIS check.))





    Baldhart

    As Masama runs up beside me, I realize I look forward to fighting alongside a master such as himself. "Do you think we'll find survivors?" I ask him.
     
  5. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    39
    28
    ((just tried to check stats and realized i didn't get the mana and health down pat. Steer i should have shared the doc with you do you have it? i placed a rough guess as to what keit's health and mana are, as well as Batos's, but im not positive since they lvled up to two.))

    Keitsumah

    I begin to pant hard as i run alongside the others, but if i choose to i can keep up. However, looking back on other battles, i would be more useful as a defensive fighter than an offensive fighter. I grit my teeth for a moment in envy when i see Batos streak past to catch up with Baldhart. He is much more capable to dishing out massive amounts of damage than i am. My role is a healer and a trapper if need be, not a fighter, at least not until i learn more powerful spells.

    Baldhart said that she makes a sacrifice before every battle. My sacrifice will be to fall back and defend. But before i do so, i turn and untie the small bag of berries and goodberries i have stocked up. "Batos, come!" the wolf whirls and is at my side in a moment, and he takes the bag carefully between his teeth. "Take these to Nissa. I don't think she will get in close combat, so if anyone gets injured she may be the best to do that while the others are fighting. I'm going to go back and guard Branwen and Burnbright. You fight along Baldhart." the wolf makes a muffled bark and as i slow down he slips away into the trees after Nissa's shadow. Now i can only pray that this goes well, and i prepare myself for battle by muttering the words for the entangle spell under my breath over and over again, but I do not yet draw on the magic.
     
  6. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    464
    83
    "Tsc." I hurry with a last glance at Bressel. I hope he has the guts to do what must be done in case the woman get any ideas.

    It becomes clear the trail comes close but does not lead into the darkness. Amidst the decay there will be magic, sweet magic, waiting with open arms like an old friend. It bears only a fleeting resemblance to the sensation in my memories, yet enough to tempt me, an invitation to come closer, hold my breath and pretend I'm home just for a moment.

    But it's irrelevant because the trail does not lead into these lands. They're not getting inside the Taint–nor will I, then. I toss my backpack in the first bush in my way. I won't be needing it if we aren't at risk of getting lost in the darkness. Lighter and with a clear destination thanks to the people trotting ahead of me I take a slighter more discrete route, favouring the shadows of trees and rocks without sacrificing much of my speed. I fell behind already, better make a good use of it.

    (( When they reach Ankari and Aliron she'll deviate from the route to arrive at the top from the flank. ))
     
  7. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    Baldhart

    Batos runs alongside me with a bag in his mouth. I recognize that bag. "Batos, I can take that for now."


    ((@Keit, wouldn't you have turned all to goodberries by now? It's been 5 days, so even if you rolled a 2 every time you cast, you'd still have enough MP to have turned them all by now and Liadan's magic could prevent the berries from going bad. And becoming barberries. I don't know if Keit and Liadan need to respond with that intention in order for us to still have all 53 goodberries, but I had Baldhart make the suggestion at the end of the Act III thread.))
     
  8. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,259
    3,604
    413
    The party separates into three discrete groups, with those already at the top of the hill forming the first, those heading up the hill forming the second, and those remaining behind and in hiding for the safety of the children forming the third.

    Atop the hill, further observation shows no movement from between the stones, or anywhere else around the crown of the hill. Nissa is able to fly into position well above Ankari, and Aliron waits in the trees some distance away. The top of the hill is a tangle of gnarled trees and broken stone, even within the perimeter of great stones that form the circle atop the hill. It is clear that some kind of structure once sat atop the hill, but much of it has crumbled away and much of what hasn't crumbled lies beneath ages of ice and dirt. Just off from the center of the hilltop, facing the direction of the Taint but not within the Taint, the ground has been disturbed. The ice, hard dirt, and rock has been hacked at to reveal a small opening into the blackness within the hill. The opening is perhaps large enough for a man to pass through so long as he crouched.

    As Ankari, Aliron, and Nissa watch the opening, the others close the distance. Baldhart, Masama, and Batos arrive within shouting distance of those near the top of the hill. Mauve, making her way unnoticed through tree and rock, begins to branch out to approach the hill from its flank. Keitsumah continues to ascend. Liadan is not far from Keitsumah, and Llucheden, with Cadell atop, stretches out a number of strides ahead of Baldhart.

    Back on the other side of the first hill, Dalla and Burnbright have pulled Branwen into a heavy thicket, protected from the wind and, more importantly, from the view of any enemies. Bressel and Roderick are with them.

    Dalla looks to the two men. "What do we do?"

    ((I apologize for having Roderick in the wrong place last post. I thought he had ultimately decided to run after the others, but that wasn't correct. So I now have him back with Bressel and the others, as he wanted)).
     
  9. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    Nissa

    Oh! I whisper to Ankari, "I can fit in there easily enough."

    [​IMG]
    ((The one time I deserve a WIS fail for being corny, and I roll awesomely!

    @SP, how's dusk-vision? Can Nissa see without having to light the torch? And/or does the WIS help her rely on other senses? I have contingency plans for encountering enemies, but some depend on how well she can see without a torch and how fast she can light one and throw a fire-bomb and whether she'd get innocents killed doing that. I'm not sure if dusk-vision helps her see in this short-person cave, though it seems to have Nissa's name all over it with that crouching height hint.))
     
  10. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    39
    28
    ((ah, okay then assume everyone has four goodberries lol. keitsumah will hold the four for Batos if that number is included))
     
  11. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,624
    882
    113
    This is the lizardmen all over again. I motion to Alin, urging him to hurry up the hill as I climb toward the crest. I'll have to work out handtalk with the thief and Dalla for future scouting.

    Baldhart is charging recklessly as if she has the smell of blood on her nose. The difference between an eager Baldhart and a wolf at hunt are the number of legs of the predator. She needs to learn the meaning of "measured" when applied to her responses.

    Nissa volunteers to fly into the hole and does so before I open my mouth in response. They are very similar, pixe and giant. Why do they insist on recklessness? No matter. The choice hasn't killed Catli. I'll wait for Nissa's return.

    When Masema leads most of the remaining members into sight, I know my group has lost their minds. Catli and Branwen are left with Dalla, a stranger named Roderick, and Mauve. If I know Mauve, she's somewhere in the trees, waiting. My companions are idiots.

    I wait for Baldhart to climb the hill and point to the others. "If you're here, and they're coming, to whom have you entrusted Catli and Branwen?"
     
  12. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    Baldhart

    I keep my voice low, for what good it might do.

    "I trusted the others to figure that out. I only wanted Masama and Batos to rush in with me first. We don't have armor so I thought we'd be quick and quiet enough—" I look back at the thundering herd. "—and that you might've needed us sooner than expected. Mauve said she'd see to the girls.

    "So anyway, innocent survivors?" I point to the little hole. "Not in there, are they?"
     
  13. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    527
    113
    Aliron
    Moves up to Ankari, looking for guards or movement.


    "I don't see Bressel, so I assume he stayed with the youth."

    "Is it a hole, or a tunnel?"


    Bressel:
    "We wait. They will tell us if they want us with the rest of the group."
    Bressel checks the rear to make sure no one was following them. Then settles in to watch the group at a distance."

    "knowing when to move, how to move, and when to fight is the most important lessons in tactics. The inexperienced warrior charges into a fight unprepared. The smart one reviews all that is known and uses the strengths of his companions."

    "The elves are quiet, they can get close to an enemy. The halfling is fearless and blessed by God. The monks can also move quietly. The armored of the group, move slower, make alot more noise, but they can take the blows of an enemy that the quiet can't. The mages and druids can use their magic to slow down or hinder the enemies attacks. By the time the noisy of the group arrive, the quiet are developing a plan and are ready to strike, if an enemy appears."
    He adjusts his breast plate.
    "We are the reserves. If they need more attackers we can come to their aid where they need it. More importantly, we protect the youth that are in our group. Failing to defend them, is the same as harming them to my elven friend."
     
  14. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,259
    3,604
    413
    As Nissa lands near Ankari, Batos bounds the remainder of the way up the hill, coming up behind them with a pouch of goodberries clutched in his jaws. He offers these to Nissa.

    As Baldhart and Masama continue up the hillside, Masama answers Baldhart's question. "Whoever was taken from the farm must have been brought here for a reason. If Asra wills it, we will find them alive." Upon nearing the top of the hill and seeing the narrow opening in the rock, his features grow grim, however.

    Masama looks back over his shoulder at the rest of the group. "Most have come. I do not see Mauve or Bressel. Perhaps they have remained with the children. I do not believe Bressel with allows the children to come to harm." He eyes the rest of the group, including Cadell and Liadan, which is slowly forming up around Ankari and Aliron's position. "I can go back to them if you deem it wise."

    Nissa is the only one who has had a good view of the opening in the ground, as it is inside the perimeter of rock at the top of the hill. She can describe it to the rest of the group, however. The darkness appears thick, at least when looking into the hole from the outside. Nissa's dusk vision will serve near the entrance, but unless there is some source of light in the depths below, it will not avail her in total darkness.

    As the group contemplates, Mauve arrives near the hilltop in a flanking position, unseen by members of the group. The crumbled rock blocks her view of the hilltop, but it does not look as though it would be hard to scramble over the debris.

    Bressel waits with Dall and the children, explaining their role. Branwen seems unconcerned, and is looking around curiously at the other members of the group huddles in the trees. Burnbright chews on her lower lip, but her face is set, one hand holding Branwen's, the other around the haft of her spear. Dalla has her knife in hand and looks decidedly nervous. Unlike Burnbright, she has not yet seen battle.

    "What if something happens to the others?" she whispers. "How will we know?"
     
  15. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    39
    28
    ((Keitsumah will have fallen back around now and is heading to Mauve and the girls to defend them. If they get in trouble she will use entangle and snare every enemy around them hopefully after having Mauve and the other defenders get in a close group around her to keep them from getting engangled as well.))

    Batos

    I sniff around the egde of the hole that Nissa has dissapeared in, ears pricked to catch any sound from within. The footprints look oddly familliar, but i haven't been able to clearly identify them with all the ocnflicting scents. My fur bristles. By their appearance they are either reptilian or avian creatures. No aquatics would go underground that i know of, especially fish demons, but a bird-like creature would not go underground as well.

    Unless it was like the last Harpies we saw...

    A high-pitched whine escapes and I back up into Baldhart, ears flat. If there are harpies in there it would make sense for them to drag off food. Nissa might be in trouble if she gets caught in there! How do I try to warn the group of what may be in there?

    I whine again and stand on my hind-legs, waving my forelegs up and down, but i cant put them sideways like wings. Frustrated, i drop down again and gnash my teeth together. I can't talk, i can't tell them. I can't even imitate what im trying to tell them about!

    Then i pause and look Baldhart in the eye. I can howl. I can sing. Maybe she will recognize the tune if i mimic the harpie's song.

    Careful to keep quiet, i make a low, lilting tune that seems a crass blasphemy to the unholy song of the harpies, but if i can get the melody they might understand what i am fearing may be down there.
     
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  16. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    Nissa

    "I can move easily enough in there, if that leads to anywhere, but I really can't get far without a light source. These lizard guys have set traps in the past, so fumbling in the dark's a fool's risk. I can move quickly with a torch or slowly with one of those glowing rocks from the tunnels.

    "There's a chance that I can use the glow rock without being seen. The torch'll give me away, but I've got a bottle of oil on me, so I'll have no problem keeping the enemies from overwhelming me if my torch is lit. What makes the most sense? Sneaking around in there, or moving quickly—figuring if the enemy sees me I try to draw them out?"


    Baldhart

    "I prefer you draw them out. You can outpace the lizards if you have room to fly, or use the torch in an emergency. The glow rock still gives you away if you don't know which way the lookouts are facing."

    I pat Batos on the head and whisper, "Are you singing for us? You should hum that tune again when we set up a campfire." Where have I heard that song before?
     
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  17. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    527
    113
    "I believe the torch is best. Fly quickly over the hole, to see if you draw any attention. The quick pass will more then likely cause them to reveal their position. If nothing happens a quick look then back off. So if they waited the first time, they will react the second time."
    " If nothing then toss the torch in and look in. If nothing still, signal and the quiet will move up, keep the armored on alert. Once we get there, then move inside for an indepth look, but be ready to flee, use the oil on the torch if neccessary. If we hear nothing, we signal the armored to move up and we move inside behind Nissa. Until we know if this is a tunnel or a lair, we should keep the metal bangers outside."
    "Once inside we should evaluate the options. If it is a tunnel, we cannot leave the vulnerable members of the party outside for long.
    That is my suggestion on how to enter. Anyone have a better?"
     
  18. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    Nissa

    "I like it." I light the torch. "I'll let you know if there's standing room for anyone but me, dangerous drop-offs and so on."

    I head inside the hole, mindful of traps, hostiles and innocents.



    ((Don't know if I need to, but…

    [​IMG]
    …I'm not sorry I rolled!))
     
  19. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,259
    3,604
    413
    ((Since everyone is waiting for the result of Nissa's action, I'm going to jump in with that now)).

    Nissa can get through the hole without bending over or crouching down. As Nissa nears the opening, she sees more clearly that the jumbled, crumbling stone atop the hillside was once part of some kind of structure, but the ages have reduced the stone to ruin, and if they ever had markings on their surface the elements have long since eroded them away. The opening itself looks like nothing more than a dug-out hole in the ice, dirt, and rock, but there is no debris piled around the hole as evidence of any kind of excavation.

    As Nissa enters with her torch, it becomes immediately clear that the structure that was atop the hill extended beneath the surface as well, a theme that now appears to be common in the north lands. Just inside the hole, the interior space expands to about ten feet, side-to-side, and forms a stone stairway that drops away into the darkness. Nissa can see a stone floor, just barely, perhaps twenty-five feet or so away at the bottom of the stairs. It looks like there is enough clearance down there for a normal-sized human to stand.

    The air is cold, and there is a faint scent of decay on the breeze. A distant clink clink, as though of stone on metal, echoes from within. There is no movement from within the darkness.
     
  20. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    Nissa

    I fly in further, knowing full well I'm more likely to find hostiles than innocents. I will only fly, not walk, as there may very well be a trap. Perhaps I already set it off. Or is that the sound of innocents struggling with chains?

    I look for people, dead or alive—though I definitely want to watch for movement. I there a door? Or doors? How many?

    I won't enter another room, though. Just a quick pass to let the others know what we're getting into. Then I'll let the others know, no worries about bumping their heads on the ceiling.

    I take out my oil bottle, just in case…




    Baldhart

    I crouch down, trying to gauge how Nissa's doing in there, looking at the way the torchlight dances…
    [​IMG]
    ((Useless, I realize, but I already rolled it before the GM post.))
     
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
Loading...

Share This Page