1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act IV

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 26, 2014.

  1. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,888
    413
    Baldhart

    ((I assume the outside enemy is sufficiently dead.))

    Mauve begins a futile run. I tell her, "A horse and a wolf might get there in time," then ask Cadell, "Do you have room for one more?" I gesture to Mauve, since she won't weigh down a horse as much as I will.

    I call out to Liadan, "I trust our scouts didn't break silence?"

    Silently, I pray to Brynhild that Nissa is there for the children. And that she and the others are enough. Two wimpy lizards is nothing. But there were fifteen that killed the innocents, and they don't go soft on children.
     
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    517
    113
    Aliron
    Releasing another arrow, shooting the one straight ahead.
    normal to hit day arrow [1d20+6] = 17+6 = 23 ;damage[1d8] = 6

    "Della and the children are being attacked, the group is running back to assist them. There is no time to parley, kill or flee, decide now. We have no assistance coming, they probably have more lizards coming."

    The ranger seeks to speak nicely to creatures known to have killed and captured peaceful farmers, as if some misunderstanding or accident. Probably the same beasts that are attacking the group outside and the children.
    No killing? Seems the killing started before we got here.
     
  3. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,888
    413
    ((Heading out for the weekend now. I assume the outdoor lizards were dead and it's okay to RP a bit. If not, please disregard/delete. I mostly posted this to clarify Baldy's next action.))


    Baldhart


    I notice Liadan and Biorn are heading into the dark hole. Liadan doesn't say a word to me, but her actions answer my question. Someone broke silence. So now even Alin can't talk sense into Ankari. I turn to Cadell, "You can get to the girls faster than I can. I'll see the boy safe… and by safe, I mean out of the hole and not rushing into whatever mess Ankari created."


    ((EDIT - SP has my characters moves if there's a weekend update. Have fun!))
     
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  4. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,096
    1,500
    313
    Cadell

    I nod and extend a hand to Mauve, to help her into the saddle. If and when she complies, I'll urge Llucheden in the direction of the girls. Whatever's going on in the cave, I hope Liadan can handle it.
     
  5. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    Before I cover any significant distance, a loping noise heralds the knight approach. I glance at him and his extended hand and take it, mimicking the movement I've seen he make so many times to mount the horse.

    (( She never rode a horse. Let me know if I need to roll something to see if she won't fall flat on her face at some point. ))
     
  6. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,219
    3,533
    413
    [​IMG]
     
  7. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,219
    3,533
    413
    Back at the sight of the ancient structure, events unfold both above and below ground. In the dimly lit spaces below, the creature Aliron shot drags itself behind the remains of the great dwarven statue. As its comrades charge, Ankari makes a gesture of peace and calls out to the creatures.

    [1d20] = 14 Int Check

    Ankari's gestures and words appear to find some foothold within whatever thoughts the creatures carry in their reptilian heads, and the charge slows. Aliron cries out to Ankari, however, and looses another arrow. This one catches the creature directly in front of Aliron in the shoulder, and the creature goes down with a yip, then howls in pain as it clambers back to its feet. The arrow juts from its shoulder.

    Rage renewed by the second attack, the remaining creatures close with the two elves at the foot of the stair. Two of them, one wielding a pick and the other with a broken chunk of statue, sprint full speed toward Aliron. Their speed is enough to carry them to the elf, but not enough that they can attack before the elf has a chance to react.

    Another of the small lizards rushes straight at Ankari, swinging its pick wildly:

    [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8 Swings pick

    Too wildly, in fact, and Ankari easily avoids the attack.

    Above ground, Masama notes that situation with the lizards there appears to be in hand and heads down the tunnel since the sounds of battle still emanate from below. He arrives at the bottom of the stairs scant seconds later, taking up a position next to Aliron and saying in his booming voice "It may be that the children are in danger." Then he assumes a martial stance and scans the lizards, looking for a target.

    Liadan and Biorn head into the hole as well, and they are only a few feet behind Masama. The sound of the howling, wounded kobold and the yipping attackers fill their ears. Biorn gasps and falters a step beside Liadan as the two get far enough down the stairs to see the lizards.

    Baldhart grabs the remaining lizard above ground and drives it into the ice, just as Cadell leans forward on its mount and skewers the thing. The impact with the ground drives the breath violently from the creature, and there is a snapping of bones. Cadell's sword opens a well of dark blood in the creature's chest. It does not move.

    Keitsumah and Batos, meanwhile, are well down the mountain and sprinting toward the farm. Mauve takes off at a run in the same direction, only to be helped onto Llucheden by Cadell a moment later. Llucheden makes good time down the mountain, passing Keitsumah, though Batos, sprinting in long strides, remains ahead of them. The burned farm looms below.
     
  8. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,096
    1,500
    313
    Liadan

    At the sight of the lizards in the cave, Biorn gasps and falters behind me. I turn my head a little to tell him, "Stay there!" Then I look forward again, seeking an opening to defend those who are being attacked.

    ((Since she's not on the map, am I to assume she isn't meant to attack yet?))

    Cadell

    If I had a third arm, I'd be able to hold Mauve in the saddle with me. But I can't even release my gauntlet's hold on my sword without letting go of the reins, and steering with my teeth is something I'd rather avoid as much as possible. I lean low over Llucheden's neck, eyes forward, trying to see and brace myself for what's ahead.
     
  9. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,888
    413
    Baldhart

    I give my word to Cadell, and out of the corner of my eye, I catch him offering a hand to Mauve. I see Biorn heading into the tunnel. He's a child too. An innocent.

    I waste no time, moving full sprint where there's light enough to see. When I get to the tunnel, I take out a glow rock so I can get to the boy as fast as possible. Surely he and Liadan entered for good reason…

    ((I'm assuming full sprint gets her in the tunnel, but that's all she can do this turn.))
     
  10. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,219
    3,533
    413
    ((Ireth - she can attack. Assume she is in the square directly behind Masama and feel free to move or attach from there. I just didn't have room for her on the map)).
     
  11. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,096
    1,500
    313
    ((Okie dokie. I think I'll hold off on attacking for now regardless, since the tunnel/stairwell seems a bit cramped, and I don't want to risk hitting an ally.))
     
    Steerpike likes this.
  12. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    517
    113
    Aliron swuitches to long sword and moves behind Ankari, slashes at the lizard that was in front of him,
    long sword to hit[1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10 (lvl&race); damage[1d8] = 2
    A weak swing, Aliron continues to move to Ankari's rear flank. (or in chess moves as the knight would, 1 up, 2 over.) So as not to ruin Masama'a attack. (and keeping from being hemmed in.)
    [I think I can move that far and still attack.]
    [[maybe if I hadn't moved I could have swung better.]]
     
  13. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,219
    3,533
    413
    [​IMG]
     
  14. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,219
    3,533
    413
    Bressel moves behind Ankari and attacks the lizard in front of him. The lizard ducks the attack and then pursues Bressel as he moves aside to make room for Masama.

    Masama steps up and and swings a heavy fist at the lizard:

    [1d20+5] = 9+5 = 14 attacks lizard


    [1d6+3] = 4+3 = 7 damage to lizard

    Masama's fist connects with the lizard's jaw with a crack, snapping its head back and foiling its planned attack on Bressel. The lizard next to Masama's target, wielding the broken piece of statute, swings at Masama with its chunk of rock:

    [1d20+1] = 6+1 = 7 attacks Masama

    Masama knocks its hand aside.

    The lizard in front of Ankari swings his pick at the elf:

    [1d20+1] = 6+1 = 7 attacks Ankari

    Ankari dodges the attack easily enough, but an almost simultaneous attack comes from a second lizard just in front and to the side of Ankari:

    [1d20+1] = 14+1 = 15 attacks Ankari
    [1d4] = 4 damage to Ankari

    The second attack hits, biting through Ankari's armor with surprising force coming from the small reptile. The creature snarls in glee.

    Liadan comes closer, now with a clear view of the battle scene. Biorn follows close behind, wide-eyed. Scant seconds later, Baldhart makes her way down the stairs as well.

    ((for those caught in the stairway, assume you can move through friendly squares, but not enemy squares. If your movement passes through a square adjacent an enemy you may be subject to attack).

    Above ground, the remaining party members streak toward the children. Batos enters the outskirts of the farm, with Cadell and Mauve not far behind.
     
  15. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    517
    113
    [Sorry, I guess Aliron put on his Bressel disguise. :) Its a tough costume, from a small quiet elf thief to a boisterous tall human warrior.]
    [Not sure if the lizard Masama punched is still up, if he is I will swing at that one, if not, I will move past the lizard and strike his rear flank(probably couldn't back stab this round maybe next.)
    long sword to hit[1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4 (lvl&race); damage[1d8] = 5

    Aliron's sword slices through the air.
     
    Steerpike likes this.
  16. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,888
    413
    Baldhart

    "Hey, what's the idea of starting the party without the party?" I call out as soon as I see the scuffle. I'm half kidding, but as I descend the stairs, I see Ankari is hurt. He doesn't need an I-told-you-so.

    Masama almost punches a lizard dead, but he'll be my 30th hatchmark now.

    As I pass Biorn, I tell the boy, "Watch and learn, kid."

    I get beside Masama, admittedly excited to fight at the side of an experienced monk. I better make myself look good!

    I grab the lizard in front of me and lift him overhead to throw him. I'll use him as a weapon to finish Masama's wounded foe!

    Grapple:[​IMG]
    Str:[​IMG]
    Damage:[​IMG]

    I try to step into my throw, hoping Liadan can slip by me to get a clear shot at the others. To the lizard who survived my attack, I say, "You picked the wrong day to murder children."
     
  17. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,096
    1,500
    313
    Liadan

    I edge forward into the first opening I can see, and aim an arrow at the nearest lizard -- right in front of me. I hope Fraxinus will bless my shot!

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Not bad, but it could be better.
     
  18. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,219
    3,533
    413
    ((Bear with me on the map; I want to update this now and if I take the time to make one I won't get it done. You guys should be able to follow the description))

    The lizard Masama punched is still standing, but on wobbly legs. Aliron takes a swing as it, but at luck would have it the lizard stumbles to one knee just as the blow comes, and Aliron's blade cuts only air.

    Baldhart grabs the lizard wielding the bit of the statute. The lizard shrieks and writhes in her grasp, but she brings the hapless creature crashing into the wobbly lizard beside it. The force of the impact is bone-cracking, killing the wobbly lizard outright. The lizard Baldhart threw somehow retains its footing, but looks rather dazed for the experience. Masama brings a powerful fist arcing upward toward its jaw:

    [1d20+5] = 20+5 = 25 swing at thrown lizard


    [1d6+3] = 1+3 = 4

    Masama's fist connects and there is a spray of blood and teeth. The light goes out of the lizard's eyes before its limp corpse even hits the ground.

    Liadan moves forward, attempting to line up a strike on a target ((best place for her is one square into the room and one square to the right, given where Baldhart is)). She sights up one of the lizards attacking Ankari. The two lizards next to Ankari appear to be having second thoughts, having seen the bulk of the party arrive. They are both in the process of turning by the time Liadan chooses a target and fires. Her arrow catches the small reptile in the back of the leg, and it sinks to the ground, yipping and grasping at the arrow protruding from it.

    The other lizard that was in front of Ankari is heading toward the exit on the right side of the room ((it's three diagonal squares from its previous spot; the other lizard is wounded and two diagonals from its previous spot)).

    Liadan, from her vantage point, sees movement near that exit from the room and understands why the lizard is fleeing there. Two other small lizards have gone for help, and are at the edge of the corridor gesturing at the party and yipping. The ally they've returned with is astonishing to say the least. Standing there, just visible at the edge of the right-hand corridor extending from the room, is a tall, thin, elf-life creature. In fact, Liadan is fairly sure she would call it an elf were it not for two features unknown to her race: its rich, night-black skin, and the long waves of bone-white hairs that tumble down past its shoulders. The creature looks at Liadan, then at the group, then its lips begin to move, though Liadan can't hear anything, and its hands trace gestures in the air.

    Biorn, behind the group as a whole, seems torn between fear and excitement, alternately ducking when blows are struck amongst the combatants and straining to see during lulls in the battle.

    Outside

    Batos continues his tireless run, now streaking across the empty farm land toward the next hill. The children should be just around the other side of it. Cadell and Mauve keep pace with the wolf, thanks to Llucheden. Keitsumah finds that she falls behind the group, but her slower pace gives her a chance to be more watchful of her surroundings.
     
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  19. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    517
    113
    Aliron
    moves up (two spaces)to get a clear shot and switches to bow, leaning his longsword against his leg, and targets the lizard that was in front of Ankari.
    normal to hit day arrow [1d20+6] = 11+6 = 17 ;damage[1d8] = 8
    The arrow seems to hit cleanly in the low light, but we'll see how the lizard reacts.
    [Aliron watches for movement behind the statue, as he draws the next arrow. If no movement he will move(carrying the long sword) to the left to see if he can get a shot at it, and to see a little further down the passage that they carried the stone pieces. Not sure how much more he can move this round. If need be, Aliron can drop the longsword, it hasn't done much for him this battle. :)]
     
  20. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,888
    413
    Baldhart

    I see the bone-white hair—but then I see Alin's arrow drop the lizard. No backing out now. Brynhild, forgive me for the recklessness I'm about to engage in. I came for the boy, not to charge into the unknown with less than half our force. I know better… but I also know that the boy's best chance is not to have clustered targets for the magic man.

    I nudge Masama. "Magic," I whisper. No time to explain, I make my move toward the caster. He's too far to charge, so I grab the wounded lizard in my way…

    [​IMG]

    As soon as I grab the lizard, I say to the dark elf, "Stop the spell." [INTIMIDATE caster]
    I hold up the lizard. "He lives; we talk. Two seconds…"

    I watch his reaction. If the lips and arms don't stop immediately, I may as well kill the lizard. A naive part of me hopes to talk. Another naive part wonders if he'll cast ice, and if my ring would save me. Only one thing is certain. If I can get to him, I'll kill him.

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
Loading...

Share This Page