1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act IV

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I move slowly and carefully toward the dwarves, not wanting to alarm them or the orcs with sudden movements. I kneel in front of the cage to meet the eyes of any who will heed me, and show them Darin's amulet as I speak softly in the common tongue. "I am Cadell Dwarf-friend. My companions and I are bargaining with the orcs for your freedom. If we succeed, we will return you to the Drimmen-delve, and our healer will no doubt treat your wounds well. I ask only that you trust us."

2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Bladhart

I don't like this, but there is little choice. Defying Korgak is more dangerous than accepting his terms. And he's right. I'd have done exactly that if he wasn't willing to offer the dwarves.

I face Korgak, though I know Liadan will need to translate my words to him.

"Burnbright is my Sister. I have no intention to betray you, but I understand your want of insurance. If there happens to be a young orc girl interested in talking to Burnbright, perhaps Liadan could help them converse. I'll need a story like that when I return to Ballara—a reminder that humans and orcs both have innocent children..." I look at Burnbright as I add, "...whose lives are more important to us than our own."

With that I take a step toward the gate with the promise, "You will have your armor shortly." As soon as it is not socially awkward to move out, I move.

3. Philster401

Philster401 Maester

Zoran asked Baldhart as she left the tent, "So what happened in there?"

4. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

Marius

Remaining silent and hidden, Marius keeps aim on the dwarf. He doesn't give his input nor opinions on the matter. His job is to protect his client, not negotiate with random dwarves. Thus far the dwarf has not made any hostile actions, but it only takes a moment for a sorcerer to unleash god-like powers. Marius isn't about to let that happen if he can help it.

5. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

I speak to Brok in a soft voice as we walk. "Forgive me, Brok. It's a lot to take in at once, and I thought when you called me 'not human' you realized I am a valkyrie. I am half human and half... halfling. Anyway, you have no need to crack my skull. I don't fear death; I know where death takes me. However, to attack a good man such as yourself would be blasphemous. Brynhild did not grant me this temporary second chance at life so I could knowingly fight an unjust battle.

"But enough about me. You have concerns, and I should address them in order of importance. Your friends first. I am sorry to say, two are alive." I describe the two survivors, apologetically adding that I did not see the third one's face. (I won't tell him there was no face.)

((CHA check))
    [​IMG]
    "I truly am sorry. He was dead before our people were in, but I assure you we intend to get the others out. We'll see if the peaceful means is successful.

"As to why we seek peace with the orcs, Aslaug is pitting orc against orc. Korgak is not loyal to her, or so we have heard. His orcs will be slaughtered by Aslaug's orcs, and I believe she targets children to get others to cooperate. If Korgak's orcs and Ballara battle each other, Aslaug will easily defeat whoever is left.

"Whatever quarrel you have with the orcs, Aslaug is the greater threat to you now. If she gets what she wants in Drimmen-Delve, I may not be the only valkyrie you see. For the gods to permit that degree of intervention... many would die before they allow it. There are some of my Sisters who look forward to such a day, but I dread it. For nearly 800 years I've seen so many young lives senselessly cut short, so much suffering...

"Brok, we seek peace with the orcs to save innocents. But it's Drimmen-Delve that we seek to defend."

6. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

((Walking and talking, unless GM says otherwise…))

I tell Zoran, "Korgak is willing to consider peace, if not alliance. He won't stand with the dwarves, but he is willing to trade them for my bronze plate armor. My impression is that he's too proud to admit the dire state of his people. They value strength… and are not much different from the men on my mountain. Korgak will not say anything to make himself look weak before his people, but he did let Liadan stay with Burnbright. Maybe he's a good guy under that tough exterior. If not, then I just put my dear Sister at risk. I will be quick about getting the armor."

7. Philster401

Philster401 Maester

"Would you wish for me to do? Stay here?" Zoran asked/requested.

8. Legendary Sidekick

​Baldhart

"I'd say let's not wear out our welcome. They just want Liadan and Burnbright inside. If they wanted us dead, we'd know by now. I wouldn't worry too much."

...as long as they don't know who Burnbright is. ((Note she didn't say that last part out loud.))

9. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Aliron:

As he walks by Marius, he whispers "best to keep Branwyn out of his sight if we can." He winks at Branwyn and walks on.
    He follows the dwarf watching the surroundings as he goes. ( he promised to protect the dwarf, so he must follow)

Bressel:
    Walks on trying to hear any sign that it is safe to enter, but hard to hear when he is singing.

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

The Orc Camp

The glowering dwarf looks angry, his eyes burning when Cadell approaches. When Cadell produces the medallion, his eyes widen and the badly injured dwarf steps closer to have a look as well, though each movement appears to cause him pain.

"Stolen, elf" spits the angry dwarf, interrupting anything Cadell might say next. But the injured dwarf narrows his eyes, inspecting the medallion and says "Not an easy thing to steal." The injured dwarf's breath is labored.

"But not impossible," the angry dwarf says.

"The runecasters will know the truth of it," says the injured dwarf, then meeting Cadell's eyes he asks "How'd ye come by this? Few have the authority to grant such a gift, and I never heard of one being given to an elf."

When the conversation moves to the plan to free the dwarves, the angry one says "Bargaining!" His mouth turns down in distaste. "Bargaining with these vermin! Don't ye see what they done to me kin?" The dwarf gestures in the direction the dead body was taken. "And we're to be ransomed like helpless bairns and brought back to the Delve in shame, is that it? Why don't ye shave my beard while yer at it, elf?"

The injured dwarf puts a hand on his comrade's shoulder and says. "Peace. He don't know our ways." Looking at Cadell, he says "You get us our hammers back and we'll be much obliged. We'll drink with our forefathers b'fore the night is done, and that's as should be. But captured, then bought...there's great shame there."

The conversation between Cadell and the orcs is too soft to be overheard, and even when animated the dwarves seem to know better to do more than whisper in fierce but quiet tones.

Korgak points at camp gate. "Go now. They will not be harmed," he gestures at Liadan and Burnbright, "so long as there is no treachery. But neither will they talk to our children. It is not good for a young orc to learn to trust lowlanders."

Baldhart, Zoran, Cadell and Callan are allowed to leave the camp (after Cadell has spoken with the dwarves) with only the original red-sashed orc as guard, and even he takes them only as far as the edge of the orc camp, pointing down the trail in the direction the party had come when they'd first approached the camp. The trail will take the comrades back to where the rest of the party is waiting.

The Woods

Brok walks alongside Nissa, occasionally casting a glance over his shoulder. "That singing belongs to one of yours. I saw him earlier. Let us hope he has no orcs with him."

When Nissa mentions that one of the dwarves is dead, Brok casts his eyes toward the ground and closes them for a moment, then turns to Nissa. "And these are the creatures you would befriend. There is little hope of that now. This dark deed will go into the Book..." he trails off, then begins again. "Thank you for this news, though I am saddened to hear it. Forgive my earlier threats. I see now that you do not understand our ways. You seek to do good as you see it."

As Nissa continues, talking about uniting races of the north against Aslaug, Brok nods. "I see your thinking, little one - and now that I know what you are I believe you mean well. But you do not understand orcs and their ilk. Lesser races. Treacherous. They cannot be trusted. They might claim to stand behind you, but they do so with knives poised at your back."

Brok shakes his head. "But it sounds like you and your companions know much of Aslaug. You should go to the Drimmen-Delve. Something has happened there, and should Aslaug learn of it...already she seeks the old ways beneath the world, to strike at the heart of our kingdom. We must finish the orcs and others who oppose us so our full attention can be turned to the witch!"

Branwen crouches near Marius, staying fairly well hidden because she is so small. When Aliron passes by and winks, Branwen tries to wink back but just ends up scrunching up her whole face in the attempt.

The noise of Bressel is coming closer.

Masama follows Nissa and Brok, taking up a position quietly, some ten feet behind the dwarf. When Nissa and the dwarf enter the small camp area where Tumi is waiting, the Ballaran man scrambles up off the log he is sitting on, fumbling for his knife, then relaxes when he sees Nissa come through the trees.

((Bressel will reach the group first. The orcs with him will leave him before he gets to where the party is waiting and turn to travel back to their camp. They'll pass Baldhart, Zoran, and Callan on their way back. You guys can go ahead and RP to the point where everyone except Burnbright and Liadan are back together in the woods, now with Brok as well)).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

Well, this is progress. I hope I can convince the dwarves to trust me. I keep my voice low as I respond.

"I was given this by Darin son of Dain, after I lost my left hand to a warg while protecting him. He deemed it a worthy sacrifice, and named me Dwarf-friend. I am sorry to say he fell in battle but a few days afterward. But I think he was glad to be seated with his forefathers. We buried him with every respect."

When one of the dwarves mentions hammers, I nod slowly. "I will see what we can do. Perhaps my human and elven allies will be of help retrieving them. I don't think these orcs speak the common tongue; it should be easy not to let them overhear."

12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Liadan

I nod slowly as Korgak gives his instructions, and glance over at Cadell when he speaks with the dwarves. I wonder how much I can listen in on from here.

[​IMG]

13. Legendary Sidekick

NISSA

When Baldhart and others arrive, I make introductions. I tell Brok that Zoran and Marius defeated the orcs in Ballara. I add, "We thought returning the thief would give us a chance to talk."

BALDHART

"And the talk went well, I think..." I grab my bronze plate, asking Nissa to help me put in on. "I swore to Brynhild I'd not depend on steel. I trust she knows I meant not in battle. Pray that this hunk of metal is impressive. Not to be rude, Brok, but I must be quick. If all goes well, I'll return with your friends.

"If I don't come back..." I embrace Nissa and whisper numbers to her.

14. Legendary Sidekick

NISSA

After Baldy leaves, I tell Brok about Branwen--that our way is to see no harm come to children. I tell him of the kobolds, of Chief Tarlack, who was imprisoned by drow for refusing to have his people harm human children. I also mention Darin, who saw the afterlife when the adult harpy slit his throat. "He saw the halls of the all-father. He was at peace when he knew where death would bring him." I tell Brok of Aslaug's sorceress, Celexa. Darin fell when we defeated her.

15. Steerpike

((Quick update for Cadell to catch up with the group; more later))

The dwarves fall silent when Cadell mentions Darin's death. After a moment, the wounded dwarf says: "Ye bring tidings that strike at the heart o' the Delve, and when our enemies grow stronger." The angry dwarf mutters a few words in dwarvish, and his comrade puts a hand on his shoulder to quiet him again.

"If what ye say is true," says the injured dwarf "then we thank ye for seeing our kinsman put to rest as befits a dwarf. If you get us our hammers, when may yet drink beside Dain 'ere the sun rises. But do not linger to fight alongside us. Your news must reach the Delve. Just get us our hammers and we'll take care o' the rest."

The angry dwarf nods once, his mouth set grimly.

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I nod solemnly. "I will see to it that my company does all in our power to aid you. I will return soon."

I turn and rejoin my companions, but pause to say a quick goodbye to Liadan. As well as: "Were you by chance listening to that?"

Liadan nods. "I heard it all. You go get the armor for Korgak; I'll do what I can here." She reaches down to clasp Burnbright's shoulder.

I nod, and ruffle Burnbright's hair gently with my right hand, then hurry to catch up with those leaving the orc camp.

As we walk, I relate my conversation with the dwarves so Baldhart can hear.

((Assume this ^ happens before they meet Brok and Nissa, etc.))

Liadan

I watch until Cadell is out of sight, then turn to Korgak. "Will you tell me more about how you captured these dwarves? They seem to have put up quite a fight."

My plan is to steer the conversation toward the hammers; if I'm lucky, Korgak may even boast about them and show them off to me. Taking them for myself, on the other hand... that will be harder. I don't have much to bargain with; most of my belongings are back in town.

I pause to scratch an itch on my neck, and touch the chain of my unicorn pendant. I keep forgetting to take it off, since I don't worship Oercus anymore. But it is the most valuable thing I have on me now. It won't be holy to the orcs, or perhaps even beautiful, but it is made of silver. They might melt it down into something else.

17. Steerpike

Orc Camp

The orcs studiously avoid Burnbright and Liadan after the others leave, though a few manage to cast unfriendly glances in their direction as they go about their business. Korgak stands near Liadan, with a couple of his red-sashed orcs standing close. When Liadan asks about the dwarves, Korgak gives a toothy-grin.

"The stunties dogged one of our hunting parties, killing two as my orcs fled through the woods. But they were closer to this camp than the dwarves knew. They encountered one of our patrols, who fought them and sent back to this camp for help. We overcame them with many orcs. Only a shaman of theirs escaped, but he will not be stupid enough to attack us. He is halfway to the Delve by now, and if the dwarves move against us we will know it!"

Korgak points at the dwarves in the cage and says, in orcish, "If that armor doesn't come, I'll have your heads on my gate." Then he laughs, as though he has made a great joke. He casts his gaze over Burnbright, who is looking at him fiercely.

"Not friendly, this one," Korgak says to Liadan. "She's no elf. What is she to you?"

In the Woods

As Nissa helps Baldhart put on the bronze armor, Brok counsels "Beware the promises of orcs. They are not known for their honor."

Baldhart leaves the camp, and Brok listens to what Nissa has to say about the events that have brought them here. His comments are not generally positive. When he hears about Branwen, he grunts and looks around. Branwen is not visible, still crouched as she is beside Marius, mimicking the man next to her in his careful watching of the dwarf and the rest of the party.

Brok says "Harpies are dim-witted, evil creatures. If you've taken one of their young among you, best to be rid of her before she reaches her maturity."

Of Tarlack, the dwarf seems amazed. "Kobolds are cowardly wretches, by an large. If what you say about this Tarlack is true, then I marvel that you came across the only noble kobold in the north!"

When the talk comes to Darin, Brok grows grim indeed. "This news will strike hard at the Drimmen Delve. It saddens me that such news must make its way to the King. We will sing of his deeds, and of his death. It is good that you buried him among his kin, according to the dwarven way. That, at least, may bring some comfort to his father.

"But...harpies you say? Might these be the same harpies whose whelp you took with you? It will go ill for her, I'm afraid, for the deed of her mother will go into the Book and she will have to answer for it."

Brok goes silent a moment, looking at the ground in thought. "These are trying times. I can see why Aslaug is set against you - you've disrupted her plots, killed her sorceress. She will not forgive that.

"You must take your knowledge of her to the Delve. There has been another development that we fear must be tied to Aslaug, and if the King chooses to share that information with you then perhaps you can give him counsel. But he will be eager for news of Darin, and will want to verify your account of how he came to fall."

Masama moves to the other end of the camp, taking up a guard position, scanning the spaces between the trees. Tumi is quiet, scratching at his chin thoughtfully throughout the discussion between Baldhart and Brok.

Callan is also quiet, but she gives Baldhart a meaningful look that seems to indicate she'd like to have a word in private.

18. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Liadan

I nod slowly as Korgak speaks of the dwarves, and answer in his tongue. "I do not doubt that."

He turns to Burnbright, and I reply, "As Baldhart said, Burnbright is her sister. Our company cares for her as a group."

When he pauses again, I continue, "It seems the dwarves put up quite a fight before your folk disarmed them. I expect you kept their hammers as proof of your victory?" If I can convince Korgak to show them to me, perhaps I can think of a way for him to let me take them. Stealing from the orcs is something I don't want to do -- not only because of honor, but for fear of being hunted down and killed for it.

19. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

I ask the others to let me and Callan talk alone. I ask Callan to talk as we walk. (I keep to myself that I do not care to leave Burnbright there with them. Hostage... I should have seen that coming.)

"Sorry to have dragged you into this, Callan. The orcs and dwarves are at war, and... both sides are stubborn. For now, I want to finish this business and get everyone back to Ballara. Anyway, please, say what's on your mind."

Nissa

"Brok, Brynhild did not send me here to preach or to impose Her morals on those who do not follow her. But killing a child over the sins of her mother is not justifiable. You are right when you say I do not understand your ways, but it's possible that our lack of understanding will get your people out alive.

"We are saving them because it is right, not because we wish for something in return. However, at the very least, you owe us the courtesy not to threaten the lives of any among us—especially children.

"And let me tell you what I know of orcs. The one who struck me down was three times my height. He attacked my village during a peaceful festival. He and his fellow bandits were cowards who deserved their deaths, and my father made sure the orc who killed me would suffer much before he finally ended him. I know all about grudges and vengeance. My father became an assassin, and nothing made him grin more than a poisoned bolt in an orc's back. But only one orc ever killed his daughter. I am not so important that seventy orcs had to die for the crime of somewhat resembling my killer. What other crimes they committed, if any, did not matter to my father.

"As for me, Brynhild gave me a second chance at life. I have fought and killed and was glad to. I saved children's lives. That is what I do with this body. I protect the innocent. All children are innocent."

I recite a silent prayer to Brynhild, then say to Brok, "I appreciate you warning Baldhart of the orcs. She gambles more lives than her own with this. Maybe I want you to be wrong about the orcs because of what happens if you're right. Like you, I have friends in there and my very appearance would make matters worse for them. All I can do is wait, and pray. All they can do is follow through with their plan.

"After near 800 years of watching war and death, you'd think I could handle waiting for a talk. I'm too attached to her. Not just her..."

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  20. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

"The harpy child as with any child will be given the opportunity to learn how to live honorably, when the time comes, she will be judged on her actions, not those of her mother. If she must die, it will be because of what she does and we would have failed in our quest to teach her."

"Let us not dwell on killing children, anyone's children. Who is in our group is none of your concern, everyone in our group is sworn to be protected. Threaten anyone of the group and you will be threatened. Our discussion is how best to deal with orcs and dwarves. How to get people focused on the real evil that is growing. There is time to hate and kill each other after the common enemy is defeated."

Aliron moves between the dwarf and Marius(even if he can't see either) his arrow nocked, but not pointing at anyone.

Bressel:
    "Baldhart is meeting with the orc leader, they were safe when I left them."
    "The orcs have a couple dwarves prisoners, but I think you might already know this."
    "What news has the group since we left?"
    He asks looking around.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015