1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act IV

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Liadan

I jump at the sudden scream, and look at Marius in bewilderment. Taking a deep breath and holing up a hand to forestall his questions, I answer calmly. "I am a cleric, not a witch. My power comes from my deity. I weigh more than a duck. I can most certainly drown, but I do not melt in water. And I've never owned a cat."

2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Baldhart

I say to the dwarves, "You wish to bring him to the Delve. Stay the night. We camp closer to Ballara, I finish the truce talks tonight in town, and tomorrow at Korgak's camp. We don't need a large group to bring good news, and Korgak knows we will not come at all if Ballara is not interested in peace with the orcs.

"A lot can happen on the road to the Delve, and we intend to ask your king to accept us as allies. We'll make pretty poor allies if we get you out of prison and have you travel alone.

"Also, we can go into town and get some supplies. You'll want a cloth to wrap the body, and if we can get a cart, that will help."

I thank Brok for the compliment. "There were moments I doubted myself, but that's why Aslaug is winning. She unites the creatures that most good people fear and believe to be evil. It wasn't until I met a kobold who spoke my language that I learned something that should have been obvious: humans know humans are capable of evil, yet we assume certain kinds of people are incapable of good. The reality is that anyone who can think and speak is capable of good or evil."

When Nissa flies over to me, I go on, "See? My goddess accepted my half-hlafling cousin as Her valkyrie, and even then I failed to consider—

I notice the look Nissa gives me, and I say to the dwarves I rescued, "I should've warned you. This is Nissa van Donk. Valkyrie."

When Marius starts screaming, I add, "I wish someone would've warned me about him."

3. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

"He's fine," I assure Baldy and the dwarves. "He fancies himself as my bodyguard. let me talk to him. Oh, and do consider traveling together. We can see you safely to the Delve, and you can help explain our presence there."

I fly over to Marius and say, "I think your two-week coin would agree that healing is good magic. Now, let's not agitate the dwarves. They live underground, and might not let us in if they think we yell a lot. Yelling too loudly can cause a cave-in if you're in a cave."

4. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

Marius
    Squinting at Nissa, Marius quickly grabs his coin for confirmation.

Flip a coin! Heads or tails? [1d2] = 2

"The copper doesnt agree! It doesnt agree at all!!!" Marius exclaims in a loud whisper as Nissa shushes him. He squints suspiciously at the witchcraft and quietly says to Nissa, "I bet she has even been hiding a cat from us all along..."

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  5. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

"Maybe we should keep this discovery between you, me, and two-week copper."

6. tbgg

tbgg Sage

My heart leaps when the guard mentions strangers, but I know better than to assume my quarry is here. My search for what happened to my parents had taught me the importance of getting the facts. And to be patient.

"I am on a personal errand of some urgency," I reply, "and I'm glad to have made it here safely, all the more so if orcs have been troubling you. I saw no orcs on my way in, but I assume they're the reason the palisade is going up?" And I gesture toward the incomplete palisade.

I continue, "And yes, a place to put up is exactly what I'm looking for, most immediately." Grinning ruefully, I add, "My mule and I could both do with a night not spent on the road. Where might I find a night's accommodation here?"

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Ballara

"Aye," the guard says to Cali, looking at the palisade that stretches away from both sides of the road. "A few more days and we'll have it built. Ought to keep the orcs outside the walls, if they come. Lots of orcs across the river, and supposed to be more in the Taint. One orc's same as the next, if you ask me, but I heard they been fightin' amongst themselves."

He jerks a thumb back toward the town's entrance. "You'll want to head to Badger's Place. Ol' Rik's got plenty of rooms to let. Ain't often that he fills up these days. He's got stables for your mule." The guard gives Cali directions to Badger's, and he and the second guard both move aside, making room for Cali to pass. The guard scans the darkness behind Cali, alert for any trouble.

The Woods

The dwarves seemed sobered by their conversation with Brok, moving deliberately as they make a place for their kin's body some distance from the fire, where the cold of the northern air will slow decomposition. Even the more beligerent dwarf now seems reserved, and the dwarves say little as they go about their business, grunting thanks or acknowledgment at offers to get cloth and other supplies.

They accept the healing from Liadan and nod gratefully, the more injured dwarf's wounds closing as the magic does his work. "Guess elves ain't all bad," says the one in Baldhart's torn cloth. "That didn't hurt like yer healin' does, Brok."

The runecaster shrugs. "It's a different kind of magic. Can't say as I understand it, but whatever corrupted magic after the Great War didn't seem to have no effect on it." He thumbs his runed staff thoughtfully, then takes a seat near the fire and pulls ink and parchment from a pocket within his robes. He spreads the parchment across his knee and begins drawing a series of dwarven runes on it.

When Marius burst out of the tree, Brok jerks, then curses as he smears one of the runes he is drawing. The other dwarves look alarmed and their hands move instinctively toward weapons that they don't have. Masama steps back into the camping area to see what the fuss is about.

Once Marius has been calmed (at least somewhat), Brok shifts his gaze to Liadan. "You better watch the tongue on that one. Word of your magic getting out ain't exactly healthy in human lands, healing magic or no. I've seen folks strung up for less than real spell casting."

Burnbright seems comfortable by the warm fire, though she also cast a wary look at Marius at his outburst. She looks questioningly at Baldhart.

Tumi look nervous. "Lad, you best keep that mouth closed when we get back to town."

Callan's mouth is set, but she says nothing. After a moment, she fishes around in her pack and pulls out some kind of dried meat. She tosses a piece to Burnbright, who looks at it a moment then takes a bite."

Branwen remains squatting next the Aliron, but she can only go a minute at most without fidgeting. She tugs on Aliron's arm and when she gets his attention she mimes eating then points at his pack.

The forest remains quiet, and not even the sounds of the orc camp can be heard at this distance. Brok goes back to writing, and when finished he rolls his parchment into a tight cylinder then entices the crow from his shoulder. By the firelight a small metal clip can be seen attached to one of the crow's legs. Brok secures the parchment with the clip then tosses the bird skyward. It squawks indignantly then rises with a few strong beats of its wings.

8. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

I say to Burnbright, "Nissa knows our Goddess on a more personal level. Perhaps she knows how to deal with that man. Me? I think an Orc is easier to figure out than him."

I dig into my bag. The only outfits that won't embarrass him are the tall men's clothing I just bought. (Reddish brown monk-like outfit.) Dammit.

I strip. Even my undergarments leave me covered more than the dwarf. I take Nissa's scimitar and shorten the legs of the pants. The sleeveless shirt is too long, but the dwarf is stout. Best I do not adjust.

I offer the dwarf my clothing. "Please accept this. It's a man's outfit anyway. I prefer to wear a dress."

9. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Thanking the guard, I debate about whether to ask about the strangers, but then decide that unless they have friends in town, they'll probably be staying at the inn themselves. If they're not, I can always come back and ask in the morning.

Tugging Uala's lead rope, I head to the town entrance and make my way to Badger's Place. Pausing, I open Uala's right saddlebag and get my backpack out, putting that on my back and closing the saddlebag. Then I head to the stables.

"Is anyone here?" I call out. "I have a mule that needs stabling."

10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Liadan

I smile in relief as the dwarves accept my healing, then nod solemnly at Brok. "Of course." I think at once of Mauve and Aldar, and wonder what has become of them both.

Cadell

I move up behind Liadan, brushing her shoulder to let her know I'm there before reaching out to touch her hair. "May I?" A bit of practice at braiding will help me get accustomed to using my prosthesis for more delicate things than holding a sword.

Liadan turns her head and smiles. "Of course."

I smile back, then start attempting to braid her hair. Nothing too complicated; I just hope I don't end up tying it into knots.

[​IMG]

This is easier than I'd anticipated, fortunately.

11. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

Marius
    Shrugging to Nissa, Marius says, "Seems like a nice enough witch at any rate. So long as there is none of that demon summoning or cavorting, I have no problem. Not that demons are real or anything but, you know, in case they are."

The word "cavorting" drags through his clenched teeth like some sort of curse. It is unclear whether Marius actually knows what the word means, but clearly he associates it with demon worship or the like.

12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Liadan

I look at Marius sternly. "As I told you before, I am not a witch. I am a cleric, or priestess if you prefer, of the elven god Fraxinus, Lord of the Hunt."

I remain tactfully silent on the subject of demons, recalling the one we encountered when we fought Calexa... whom I made a pact with. I can't help but wonder what the demon is doing right now.

13. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

Marius

Shaking his head and speaking as though addressing a small child, Marius says, "Well you won't be any kind of respectable witch with an attitude like THAT. I believe in you! Just no cavorting."

He then makes some weird sort of warding gesture and spits over his left shoulder.

14. Philster401

Philster401 Maester

"Um Marius, just what are you doing, you do know you are the newest member of our group. You should show respect Laidan she is basically one of the founding members of this group if I am correct and I will not allow you to derogatory remarks about her and her use of magic." Zoran stated.

"By the way does anyone know where my sword is, for a completely different reason?" He wondered aloud, he voice dripping with a threatening undertone.

15. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

Marius

Scratching his head, Marius says, "Was I being derogatory? Not sure what that is, but it is probably not good. So I apologize. I haven't seen your sword though. Did you check your scabbard? That's where I usually leave mine. My scabbard that is, not yours. It would be silly for me to leave my sword in your scabbard. How would I get to it when I needed it? I would have to shout 'HEY BIG GUY! ITS FIGHTING TIME!' Except I would probably get eaten by a ghoul while I was saying that because, you know, I didn't have my sword. Speaking of, you REALLY should have your sword. You don't want to get eaten by a ghoul, you know?"

Philster401 likes this.
  16. Philster401

Philster401 Maester

"Well I gave it to Nissa when we entered the Orc Camp and I don't remember getting it back yet. Yeah and I probably will need to get it back fairly soon I would hate to not have when I need it," he replied .

17. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

"It was very heavy, so I set it down near Baldy's bag"

I point out Baldy, who is stripped down to her undergarments. I won't comment.

18. Philster401

Philster401 Maester

"I will ask her for it after she is finished."

19. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

Paladins are so chivalrous, not approaching a lady in her undies from behind.

"I don't want you to be away from your sword. Allow me."

I go to retrieve the heavy thing. I hope he doesn't mind me dragging it

Philster401 likes this.
  20. Philster401

Philster401 Maester

"Thank you Nissa, I know it must have been hard for you to carry. Sadly I had not thought of that when I gave it to you for that I am sorry."