1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act IV

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Nissa

"It isn't a problem, Zoran. In life, I was slender among halflings, and in Brynhild's service I've grown used to Valkyries towering over me. My human half ties me to a human world where chairs are too big, meals are too filling, children dwarf me... and none of these things are bad--especially not children. I adore children, and now I get to fight for them, not just guide their souls when they die in a battle that needn't involve the young.

"I'd rather struggle with the weight of your sword than not be able to carry one at all."

Philster401 likes this.
  2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Badger's Place

A teenage boy emerges from the stables when Cali calls. He looks at the mule, then at Cali. "I can take yer mule. I'm just setting out food for the horses. I'll see yer animal fed and watered. You can settle up with my Da, inside."

A cheery fires burns in a hearth inside Badger's Place, visible through one wide window that looks into the interior. Various patrons, mostly men, can be seen huddled around the tables inside and the murmur of voices makes its way outside, along with the smell of bread, ale, and some kind of meat roasting somewhere.

The boy places a hand on the mule's neck, patting the animal. "Best take yer packs inside. Da don't like nothing left in the stables with the animals."

The Woods

The night has become quite cold indeed, though the fire is more than enough to fend off the chill. Judging by Tumi's more than occasional glances, it seems that the combination of the fire and Baldhart in her underwear is more than sufficient. After around half a dozen glances that the man appears to think are surreptitious, Callan catches his eyes and gives him a hard stare. Tumi grumbles and turns around on the log he has pulled near the fire as a seat, facing off into the night and mumbling "If she don't want people lookin' she shouldnt've stripped down in front 'o us."

The dwarves seems unconcerned by Baldhart's state of dress, or lack thereof. Brok is watching the sky in the direction his crow flew, his expression troubled. The dwarf wrapped in Baldhart's cloth unwraps himself when Baldhart offers clothing, and with a nod of thanks starts to get dressed. Burnbright does a passable impersonation of Tumi, staring off into the woods while the dwarf gets his clothes on.

"I'm Angrim," says the dwarf as finishes dressing. He cocks a head toward the more surly of the two dwarves. "That's Rukh. I thank ye for the clothes. And yer fire. You plan to camp here in the woods tonight?"

Brok looks over. "A brief rest, at least for us."

Angrim looks up in the direction the crow flew as well and nods. "Aye. I don't suppose ye got a couple hammers hidden in them robes."

Brok grunts. "We'll have to make do with what we got."

"What about that human town," asks Rukh, getting past enough of his surliness to get into the conversation.

"No time," Brok says.

Angrim tugs at his beard a moment. "You ain't the one's been playin' with orcs for the past day. Rukh and me need food and drink, or we'll be no use to ye. Might be this human town'll sell us some, and we can get weapons in the bargain. Unless you're going to carry us to the Delve on yer back, and Skali too." Angrim nods in the direction of the corpse.

Brok is silent a moment. Then: "I'm loathe to waste time, but gettin' there a day later is better than not gettin' there at all."

That seems to settle it, as the dwarves nod amongst themselves. "But first," Angrim says,"we gotta settle something." He points at Cadell. "That elf says he's a dwarf friend. Of Darin, no less. What say you runecaster?"

Brok turns to Cadell questioningly.

Burnbright wanders over the Masama, speaking in a casual, low tone until, at the last second, she launches a punch at the man. Masama catches her arm and twists it around, causing Burnbright to lose her balance, at which point Masama lets go of her, grinning.

"I'm never going to get you, am I?" Burnbright asks, rubbing at her wrist where one of Masama's great hands clamped down on her.

The big man shrugs. "It takes much practice. I saw your intention as you walked. You are too tense, and even in this night your eyes give you away."

Their conversation fades as the two talk quietly, Masama walking Burnbright through a couple of defensive stances while keeping one eye on the woods.

"I could eat," says Callan. "Plenty of game in these woods."

Branwen finally tires of miming the stillness of the stoic Aliron and realizes there won't be any food forthcoming. She rises and tromps through the woods, drawing the attention of everyone in the camp as she barges out of the undergrowth and into the firelight. There, she pulls up short at the sight of so many eyes on her. Brok frowns and shakes his head. Angrim and Tukh both narrow their eyes.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

When one of the dwarves points to me, I look over and nod. I hand Brok the medallion Darin gave me, and speak while he inspects it. "Darin gave me this, and named me Dwarf-friend, after I lost my left hand to a warg while protecting him. He said it would give me and my company safe passage through the Delve. I'm sorry to report that he fell battling a sorceress not long afterward. We buried him underground, with all respect."

When Branwen appears, I smile and beckon to her, wanting to show she is a friend. "Come, Branwen. Good girl."

4. tbgg

tbgg Sage

I remove first one saddlebag, placing it on the ground, then the other, also placing it on the ground. Then I remove the saddle blanket and fold it, placing it into the saddlebag my backpack had been it earlier.

Turning to Uala, I give her a last pat for the evening and tell her, "Rest well, girl. You've earned it."

Uggh, how am I going to get these packs inside? The whole reason I bought Uala in the first place was so that I wouldn't have to carry all of this. But that's another reason for hoping she's a good leader. Then I'll have reason to stay, and then I might have help moving things.

I pick up the saddlebag containing only the saddle blanket and am relieved to find that it's pretty light. But the other saddlebag is, as I feared, too heavy for me to carry. But I use the strap that affixes the saddlebag to Uala to drag the saddlebag, hoping I don't break it. I cringe to think what this is doing to the bottom of the saddlebag, and I'm sure I must cut a ridiculous figure, but I manage to make slow progress into the Badger's Place.

Glancing around, I take in the men seated at the tables, and then notice the white-haired man in the apron, who I decide must be the proprietor. Making my slow way over to him, I smile and ask, "Are you the proprietor here - Rik, I believe the guard at the gate said? I am in need of accommodations for both myself and my mule, who your stableboy just took in hand."

[​IMG]

I must be getting tired. Not much energy for that smile.

If the man is Rik, I add, "Nothing fancy, mind you. Just basic accommodations."

If the man isn't Rik, I ask, "Then can you tell me where I may find him?"

5. Steerpike

The Woods

Brok takes the medallion from Cadell, looks at it a moment, examining both sides of it. He straightens his staff, touching the medallion with it as he mutters quick words in the dwarven tongue. There is no flashing light or any other sign of magic, but even near the fire a light frost settles onto to the amulet as the dwarf chants. After a moment, he nods and hands the medallion back to Cadell. It is ice cold.

"It was given true," says Brok, and the other dwarves grow solemn.

"We will see you safe to the Delve, and through it if need be," says Brok. "You have our thanks fer fighting alongside Darin, and seeing to him when he fell."

"Aye," says Angrim.

Rukh nods, and says "Aye."

Brok sighs. "Your tidings will are dark. No dwarf wants to hear of the death of his kin, and though he was the youngest son Darin was well-loved by Dain. He will take this news hard."

The three dwarves cast their faces down in a moment of silent contemplation.

Badger's Place

Stepping inside, Cali is greeted by warm air and the stronger smell of food. Seeing the full interior of the place, Cali now sees that the place is near full - old and young, though mostly men with a few women scattered amongst them. Most look like farmers or tradesmen, except for a table near the stairs where a girl of about nineteen sits with two children - a boy and a girl, eating stew. She glances up when Cali enters, then returns to her food.

The man in the apron nods in welcome to Cali. "Aye, I'm Rik. Some call me Badger." He glances at the bags Cali is hauling in the door. "That lad not offer to help you carry yer things? I'll have his hide! You have a seat and I'll have you set in a quick minute."

Rik moves to the door and cracks it open, bellowing into the darkness. "Boy, get over here and help this lass with her things! Ain't I taught you better'n that?"

Motioning to the closest table, Rik says "Make room, boys," and the people sitting on the near side slide along a bench seat to make a space for Cali. The door opens and the boy from the stable, red-faced, walks in.

"You'll want to eat, I expect," Rik says. "I'll have a plate right out. Ale? We got wine too."

"Half water," says a man at the table, and there is round of chuckles. Rik ignores them.

6. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

I say to Callan (and to Tumi as well), "I take no offense. Better I am like this by my own choice than the dwarf, who was stripped by force. Burnbright is too young to see a man, if it can be helped."

I consider covering up, but instead I join Masama and Burnbright.

I wait until it is not an interruption, then bow as Hanako taught me. I say to Masama, "When I dropped my sword, I saw Nissa rush to the caves to aid children. She was naked, unarmed, and she's so small… but none of these facts slowed her flight. I was concerning myself with my armor and wondering how effective I would be without my sword. At that moment, I saw the difference between myself and a true valkyrie. It's the reason why I prayed and vowed to Brynhild I would never rely on a weapon, never arm myself for battle.

"Nissa's words to me on this were kind, and I know what I felt as soon as I recited that prayer: Brunhild's touch. It's the main reason I don't dwell on the shame I felt at that moment." To Burnbright, I add, "Learn well from this man. Whatever skills you acquire with spear and shield, know that you may need to fight as you see me now. Your skin and your speed are your armor, your fists and your strength are your weapons. If it's all you need, you will be very difficult to defeat."

To Masama, I go on, "I don't mean to interrupt what you are doing. But my training with monks was long ago, and I could use a new master. Anything you can show me to make be better as an unarmed monk… I will listen and learn."

Nissa

Thankfully, the dwarves agree to go into town.

"I don't have to hide my wings here. There is too much at stake to keep my true form a secret, and in battle, I will fly. Traveling together is safest. If you need help purchasing things, ask." I point to Baldhart. "She'll pay if you can't. I don't mean she's the only generous person here, but if Brynhild agrees she's worthy of a pair of wings, she will work for me eternally."

I let the dwarves go to Cadell, and I move to Tumi and Callan. I'm not sure if they heard my words to the dwarves, but I'll fill 'em in if I have to. "You get one more look at her," I tell Tumi. "Her back's turned. Get a good look, you may never meet another woman that tall, with that kind of muscle definition. Picture wings coming out around the shoulder blades. That's what I want. I never got to meet a man, raise a child. My mother didn't live past my birth, so she didn't get to raise me either, but I don't even have a child to watch over. Baldy and I are related by my human grandfather. She's not my descendent, but she's still family thirty generations younger than me.

"If she earns the wings—and I think at this point, she'd have to put effort into blowing it—she's under my command. Not many of us get the chance to work with relatives. Hjörþrimul and Skalmöld are mother and daughter, but they died in the same battle. They're the exception, not the rule." I turn to Zoran, adding to our conversation before, "As I said, I have too many blessings to complain of little things."

I see Tumi's eyes are still glued to Baldy.

[​IMG]
    Judging Callan's expression ((I guess she's either amused, or thinks Nissa has finally comer to her senses)), my expression fails to conceal how I feel about the endless staring.

I tell Tumi, "You could stare down a cat."

If a cat looked like my cousin's butt.

[​IMG]
    I smile sweetly ((sort of—good on you, Rolz)), and continue, "I mean I believe this quality makes you an excellent guard, but now that you have committed her form to memory…" I allow him to make eye-contact with me. "…keep her shape in your mind. Add wings. That's a valkyrie. No matter how bad things get in battle, keep this in mind and you'll fear nothing."

7. tbgg

tbgg Sage

"A meal and some wine would be lovely, thank you," I say. Then I gaze earnestly at Rik. "But it's not the boy's fault. I pushed my mule hard to get here and it was more important to me that he care for her first. He did that. I could have asked for his help, but I didn't."

Then I take out two silver and hand them to the boy. "You did right by me, lad. There will be two more when I leave if you give her an extra long rubdown and about half a cup of extra grain tonight and tomorrow - no more than that." And I try to dredge up my warmest smile for the boy. Come on, energy!

[​IMG]

Oh. Hope I didn't overkill that. The last thing I need is a boy with a crush on me!

Turning back to Rik, I say, "And I will pay for the extra grain as well. Whenever you've a spare moment, I've a question to ask of you. I don't think it will take very long."

8. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Aliron:
    When Branwen moves away, Aliron watches for any signs of hostility from the newer people.
    When Cadell calls her over, he relaxes a little, just a little.

Bressel:
    Watches the others silently as he keeps the fire stoked. When Branwen comes into view he adjusts his sword leaning next to him without threat to anyone in particular.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  9. Steerpike

The Woods

Tumi seems suddenly embarrassed by all of the attention, and between Baldhart and Nissa calling him out, and Callan's expression, he makes a pointing of looking out into the woods. "if yer walking around half nekkid, a man's gonna look," he mumbles, barely audible, follow by "Stare down a bloody cat...."

Nevertheless, he considers what Nissa has said about Valkyries, and seems to grow more comfortable when Nissa smiles. "The gods are on our side, yer saying? I've seen enough to believe it, and I'm glad to have you with us Miss...er, Nissa. As for yer cousin gettin' her wings, well I hope she don't get them anytime soon, if you take my meaning. No offense."

Callan stares a Tumi a moment more, then says "I'll find us something to eat. I'll be quiet about it." She moves away from the camp fire into the woods, not as quietly as Aliron manages but not bad, either. After a moment, she is lost from view.

Burnbright steps back when Baldhart walks over, making room for her to join in the conversation. "Oh, I'm letting him teach me," she says of Masama. "So far I've had bruises and a split lip to show for it." She gives Masama a grin, then continues speaking to Baldhart. "I've seen how crazy battles can get. I still want to be a spear maiden, just like they had in the old days. But if I drop my spear, I want to be able to defend myself."

Masama nods. "It will come in time, child. Asra willing. The goddess makes all things possible to those who reverse her. If you wish, you can sit with me tonight as I pray for her safe journey across the dark lands, until she flies once more overhead with the coming of dawn."

At Baldhart's question, Masama nods. "There are things I can teach you. In my homelands, there are masters whose abilities far exceed my own, yet what I know I will share."

Branwen walks over to Cadell when he calls, looking up with big eyes and asking "Bwannen eat?"

Aliron and Bressel don't notice outright hostility at Branwen's appearance, but she does get some dark looks from Angrim and Rukh. The two exchange a few words in dwarven, after which Rukh mutters something that sounds like rutch. Brok says nothing, just watches Branwen curiously.

Badger's Place

The stable boy beams when handed the silver, giving Cali a grin that shows a missing tooth. "I'll go rub 'er down right now, uh, ma'am. That is, if..." Rik waves the boy off. The lad thanks Cali again and heads purposefully out the door in the direction of the stables.

"That was kind o' you, Miss," Rik says, chuckling as the boy runs out. "I'm tryin' to learn the lad some manners, but I've told him before the guest is always right. Well, nearly always. If you told him to tend yer mule, then he done right.

"I've got a spare moment right now, if you don't mind waiting fer your food. It's me an the lad tonight." He glances around the room. "I reckon everyone'll be alright for a few more minutes. What kind of questions you got? Might be as I can answer 'em. I know these parts well enough, and I get news from Alfoss by boat and carriage."

10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I smile and nod, then reach into my pack. "Yes, Branwen can eat. Let's see what I can find for you."

I pull out a strip of dried meat and offer it to her, then shift so she can sit in my lap if she wants. If she allows, I gently play with Branwen's hair, and sing softly in elvish. Hopefully this will let the dwarves know Branwen is not an enemy, even if she is a harpy.

11. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

"None taken," I say to Tumi. "As for the gods being on our side, just know the path of good gods like Brynhild, Freya, Tyr… follow their paths. In a battle against evil, being on the right side doesn't guarantee survival. If you die in battle, one of my Sisters will guide you and prepare you to face your god or goddess.

"Who would that be? Assume the choice is yours—not the gods', not mine, not the local priest's, not your parents'. Which god or goddess would you stand before, and why?" I add, "There isn't a wrong answer. Well… I hope you won't say Loki. He's an asshole."

Baldhart

I thank Masama. "Perhaps when I'm more properly dressed, you can teach me." I tell Burnbright, "Don't think of me as a role model right now. You stay covered up. I just prefer this over a naked man in your presence."

12. tbgg

tbgg Sage

I smile at Rik. "I don't mind waiting for a meal at all. The guard at the gate mentioned that strangers have been about in Ballara recently, and I am in search of a party of travelers. I have some business with their leader - mostly professional, but a little personal as well. The leader is an extremely tall muscular woman who wears her hair in some kind of an ox-horn style and may or may not be wearing blue body paint. She's a follower of Brynhild. I also understand that Elves travel with the party. I would like to know whether strangers that have come to Ballara are the same ones I am seeking."

Putting a hand on my pouch, I ask, "Now, if I throw in a bath, what would it cost me for the bath, a basic room, the meal with wine, stabling for my mule, and the extra grain?"

13. Steerpike

Badger's Place

Rik looks at Cali a moment, pursing his lips, then he scratches at his head. "Don't reckon I've seen no one like that pass through. I'd have heard about it - Ballara's a small place. Might be the woman yer looking for kept away from town - what with the blue paint and all. Might set folks on edge." He gives a grin. "Sorry I can't help you with that, but as fer the rest of it....let's call it a gold. I'll throw in breakfast and make sure yer mule gets top treatment. I'll be back with yer wine and meal."

A few partons glance at Cali as Rik heads back to the bar. On his way, he passes by the table with the two children and says to the woman "Best get the young uns back to their room. Don't allow kids down here after a certain hour. Ain't no place fer 'em. I'll have yer food sent up." The young woman rises, telling the protesting children to follow her upstairs. They do so, but somewhat sullenly. The woman flicks a worried glance at Cali before ushering the kids up the stairs ahead of her.

Camp

Branwen chews happily on the morsel from Cadell. The dwarves appear to accept the fact that the harpy is part of the group, but they don't look entirely pleased by it.

Masama agrees to teach Baldhart when she is properly dressed. Burnbright gives Baldhart a mischievous grin and says "Seems like Tumi likes you just fine dressed how you are." She looks down at her own lanky, boyish frame and says "I bet boys'll never look at me like that." She considers a moment, then adds: "which is OK with me. I've heard plenty of what sailors say about girls."

Masama takes Burnbright aside when she is done talking to Baldhart. "Sit a moment child. I will tell you of Asra and her journeys at night."

"Again?" Burnbright asks, but she follows the big man.

Tumi chews on Nissa's words a moment, then says "Don't reckon I've ever felt much call to a particular god. When I was a lad, me parents took us to the temple. My Da told us stories of Tyr. As I got older I kinda lost the habit- no offense." He gives Nissa one of his characteristic smiles.

Brok calls for camp to be set for the night. "We can use rest, all of us. But let's set sharp eyes to watch. I'm not happy camping so near these blasted orcs."

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2016
  14. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

I say to Burnbright, "If boys do look at you like that, be mindful of what Masama taught you. And if you think you're in a situation that will force you to defend yourself, don't give any warning. I find threats are not nearly as effective as remaining completely calm, then unleashing a brutal attack. Men underestimate women, always. If you're stronger than the man, you have two advantages."

Mindful that Masama is her master at the moment, I add, "My opinion anyway. Masama is teaching you now." And... he begins story time. Yeah. I'll sit this part out.

Nissa

"No offense taken," I tell Tumi. "Brynhild's not an option, but if you settle down with a woman, Freya's a good goddess for a family man. If you don't have a family, but you defend Ballara like it's your family, I believe She would favor that. For a lawman, there is Tyr. He favors the courageous.

"You don't come across as the Thor type. Now I feel like I'm the one who should say no offense, but trust me, I mean this as a compliment. I hate guiding Thor-worshippers. Not all. Not even most. Just the loud and proud.

"It's been a century or two, but the last one couldn't shut up about his muscles. He was glad to die young, because in spirit we tend to look exactly as we did when we died. It's less confusing to ancestors watching over you that way. Anyway, this guy's name was Bodvar Asvaldsson—Bodvar the Bod, they called him—or he called himself? He kept flexing, and when I finally convinced him this is my real height, he invited me to sit on his bicep. Of course I did not! But that didn't faze him.

"He had those, you know, those stomach squares. Oh, just look at Baldhart's tummy when she turns around." Not like I have to tel—oh, she's heading this way! "See the square things? This Bodvar guy had more than six, and he kept making the squares dance thinking I'd swoon. If you never set foot in another temple, I won't be offended. I'm not offended that you stare at Baldy in her undies. But if you ever become a guy like Bodvar, I'll be very disappointed."

Baldhart

Square things?

I approach Zoran. "Mind if I borrow your cloak until we get back to town?"

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  15. tbgg

tbgg Sage

I definitely don’t have my grandfa’s way with people. Of course, he was a Paladin and an extrovert to boot, not a quiet book-loving type like me. But something about Rik’s response reads off to me, though I can’t quite put my finger on it. What catches my attention, though is the worried look of the young woman with the children.

Why would she be worried that I want to talk to the leader of a group who supposedly hasn’t been seen here at Rik’s? And why would Rik hustle them off right after I made my inquiry? Answer: The woman at least knows something about them. Rik too, if I were to hazard a guess.

When Rik returns, I pay him the 1 gold. Then I say, “I’m a little disappointed that you haven’t seen the party I’m looking for, but perhaps you have seen the strangers who are in town and can tell me a little something about them? I pushed hard to get here and am really in the mood for some friendly chat. I figure that depending on where they’re heading, they might be able to advise me about anything to be aware of as I continue my travels, and who knows, maybe in their travels they have seen the group I am looking for.”

[​IMG]

If this doesn’t yield anything useful, I have another idea to try.

16. Steerpike

Badger's Place

Rik takes the gold piece with a nod. "No offense, Miss. You seem like a nice enough sort." He gives a Cali a smile. "These are strange times, and we get lots of folk through here, some of 'em less savory than others. I try ta keep the confidence of my guest, if you know what I mean." He pauses a moment, lips pressed together. "Might be we've had strangers of the sort yer lookin' for, but I wouldn't want to see no harm come to 'em. What's your business in Ballara, if you don't mind me asking. Things are a bit tense around here. You might have noticed that. What with orcs on the move and strange goings on in the Taint, ye've got to be careful about who you can trust, and what information gets spread around. Your a guest here, same as anyone else, and yer welcome to talk to whoever you like. If you've got a message you wanna send to someone else here, might be I can arrange it. Provided your intentions are good - and I ain't sayin' they're not, mind you."

He raises an eyebrow, waiting for a response. Cali gets a few glances glances from the rest of the crowd in the inn, but nothing hostile. More just a sense of curiousity, though no one looks inclined to come over and talk.

The Woods

Tumi follows Nissa's eyes towards Baldhart, looking a bit abashed. "No, I weren't looking at her like, Miss. It's just that we don't...oh, nevermind it. Callan looked fit to skin me alive. I'll just keep my eyes to myself. Though I take your point about her muscles." He grins, eyes pointedly on Nissa and away from Baldhart. "Freya, huh? Well, that's something. I don't feel much like a man of Thor - like them from the stories, if you know what I mean. Heroes and all that. But yer right about Ballara. That's my home and my family. I reckon if I ever settle down and have a family, that's where it'll be. Freya, huh....?" He trails off, thinking about Nissa's words.

"I'll defend myself if I need to," Burnbright says to Baldhart. "You've all taught me a lot about that. And defending innocent people. That's what I'll do, just like the shieldmaidens would've done a long time ago. It's like Veborg would have done, too. She didn't let people push her around, and she stood up for people weaker than her. I bet she'd have liked you." Her eyes grow large suddenly. "I wonder if Nissa has met her!"

After the conversation with Baldhart, Masama draws Burnbright to the edge of camp and sits crosslegged with her, speaking in low tones about Asra's nighttime journey, throwing in tales of the old days when Asra fought against creatures of the night on her journey east, before rising again with the new day. Burnbright seems interested in the stories, though she gives no indication of converting to the Masama's southern religion. Masama, for his part, doesn't seem intent on conversion, but simply on sharing the tales of his people.

Callan returns after a little over an hour, a brace of rabbits slung over her shoulder. There is enough to feed everyone, and the eyes of the dwarves light up at the sight. "Now there's something to warm the stomach," Anrgim says, rising to meet Callan and examine her catch. The dwarf sets in to helping her skin the game and prepare it for the fire. Before long, the meat is cooking.

Brok moves over to Baldhart once she is done with Burnbright, the dwarf seeming to have no interest in her state of dress. He waits until Liadan and Cadell are near as well, then says "I suppose we should set out at first light. To Ballara, I mean. I know you've got business there. After that's done we ought to get to the Delve as quick as we can. You've got news to share, and to receive once you get there. Things are happening quickly here in the north, and you'll want to see what my kin have dug up. A bad omen, to be sure, and I think Dain will be glad of your counsel."

17. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I nod as Brok speaks. "Of course. Most of my belongings are there, for a start, including my horse. I have no intention of leaving her behind." Getting her into the dwarves' halls will be another matter, but I'll worry about that when the time comes."

I frown in confusion at Brok's final words. Something in his tone does not bode well. "What do you mean, what your kin have dug up?"

18. Steerpike

Brok lowers his voice. "I don't know that I should speak of it - ye might think I'm telling tales, or that I'm a fool or worse. But once ye see for yourself, there'll be no denying it. It's got the Delve on edge, and no mistake. Like the old days come back to us." Brok looks at Cadell for a long moment, then shifts his gaze to Baldhart and Liadan.

19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Liadan

I tilt my head when Brok speaks, trying to discern what he's going on about. What he means by 'the old days' could be a number of things. He could speak of Aeron, or of dragons... or of something secret, known only to the dwarves.

[​IMG]

20. Steerpike

It's hard to determine what he might be alluding to. You do get the sense he's referring to the days of the Great War. that's a uniform reference point across races.