1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act IV

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Baldhart

I reply to Brok, "I'm glad you agree we should stick together. Honestly, I was hoping to get to Ballara tonight, but I suppose we're better off traveling by daylight."

Yeah. And if anyone gets chilly, feel free to wear my bra as earmuffs. I mean really! I offer the clothes off my back and I don't even get so much as a hanky. Back when Nissa's soul was in my body, I could talk to her about this sort of thing. But now she's next to Tumi, and he's trying so hard not to stare. I really shouldn't go over there.

Maybe I can talk to Imaginary Nissa. Hi, Imaginary Nissa. I'm in my underwear. What's a girl to do?

Keep her f---ing clothes on next time, that's what!

You may be right, Imaginary Nissa, but Real Nissa would've put it more tactfully.

Nissa

"Let me tell you something, Tumi. If Baldy didn't give up her clothes for that stocky dwarf, I'd sneak a peek. I may have died a maiden, but it doesn't mean I'm not curious. I've watched how awful people can be to each other, and I get why Callan reacted as she did, but you're a good man, Tumi.

"I'll tell you something else. Freya was the only one besides Brynhild who ever said a word to me. I grew up as Her follower, but it was Brynhild who chose me in the end. Freya simply expressed her approval when She saw the wings. I'm sure She sensed the guilt I felt, thinking I betrayed Her. She said little, but it was enough so I'd never have to worry about facing Her. She's kind and gentle, a good choice for you I think.

"Perhaps you could do something kind and gentle now? Baldy tends to put herself in embarrassing situations, then puts little effort into getting herself out of her own mess. If you offered her your cloak, she'd appreciate it. She's a nun of course, not the one you'll settle with, but get in the habit of small acts of kindness and ladies will notice.

"At least I think so. Romance isn't really my area of expertise."

2. tbgg

tbgg Sage

I almost laughed at Rik’s thinking I want to harm the party I am following. Weakling me, who has to rely on a mule to carry her things…really? But then I thought better of it and choked back the laugh by pretending to cough. When I regained the ability to speak normally, I said, “Oh, goodness. I’m not interested in harming the party, I may be interested in joining them. I ran into one of their former party members back in Srilkind and he told me just a little of what they are about, although I suspect that he was holding a lot of things back. But the party member was a knight and my grandfa was a Paladin, and my grandparents, who raised me, had both knights and Paladins over to our house all the time, so I know all about the vow of discretion they have to take.” Then I looked at Rik steadily. “And why it matters now, for that matter.”

“I’ve been on my own doing odd jobs since I lost my post as a costumer for a traveling performance troupe — the boss’s niece needed a job, so guess who got let go so the niece could become the new costumer?” And I shrugged philosophically as if to say, ‘such is life’.

I continued, “At any rate, the former party member, Matthew, did mention that there is a girl the party is trying to protect, and I thought that since I’m used to being on the road anyway, I might be able to find some work with the party by using my knack with costumes to disguise the girl and help keep her safe. I am hoping to speak to the leader to see if the party would find this ability of mine useful. If your passing a message along to her about that will help you feel like you are doing your part to keep the party’s confidence, that’s more than acceptable to me.”

And I gave Rik a smile as I took a sip of the wine. I’m ready for a meal and a bath.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  3. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

Marius

Rubbing his calloused fingers, Marius sits quietly after having relieved himself off in the woods. He had held the bow taught perhaps a bit longer than is likely healthy and his body was letting him know. His arms ached and his fingers were sore. Still, it seemed like the dwarves weren't about to harm his feathers, so he figured it was alright enough to put his bow down. Not being much of a student of history or gods, he has a hard time following the conversations everyone is having and as someone once told him, it is better to stay quiet and appear an idiot than to open your mouth and confirm it. That being the case, he kept his mouth shut while nodding thoughtfully to appear as though he was both paying attention and understood what was being said. In reality, neither was the case, but he wasn't about to let everyone know that his current thoughts were about pillows and whether Nissa's feathers would make good stuffing for one. He then started to think how long he would have to work for her to collect enough feathers to fill a pillow and with some calculation realized that he would probably be working for longer than the little girl claimed to have been alive. Absently rubbing his two week copper, he wondered how trustworthy it must be after being with him for THAT kind of time.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Rik's Place

Rik looks at Cali for a long moment. "There have been strangers around, like the ones you described," he finally allows. "They're not here now, though. I'm not sure when they'll return - they didn't leave word. But if you have a message for them, I'll be happy to deliver it for you. You seem to know a deal about their business, and there's...well, I don't know, there's something that makes me trust you.

"But now tell me, Miss, did you ride into town with a companion? A white-haired man about so-high, with a scar across one eyebrow? That man a friend of yours?"

5. Steerpike

The Woods

Tumi says to Nissa: "You talk about dyin' a maiden, but maybe in some way it was good that ye did." He speaks swiftly, clarifying, "Not good that ye died. I'm sorry you didn't get to live yer life, and have a husband and kids of yer own. What I mean is that maybe dyin' when you did made you the valkyrie you are today. Callan's a hard woman, but you never had a chance to grow hard like that, Miss Nissa."

He mulls over Nissa's additional words regarding Freya. "What you've said about her...well, I like it. Maybe she is right fer me. I always meant to settle down some time, have a family...."

When Nissa mentions his cloak, Tumi curses and leaps to his feet. "The gods damn me fer a fool!" He removes his cloak and offers it, red-faced, to Baldhart. "Er...if you want ta cover up, Miss..."

Callan finishes cooking the rabbit. Branwen looks on eagerly, but at the same time seemingly disappointed that the meat is on the fire. She casts the occasional glance at the glistening rabbit skins laying near the fire and swipes one, licking the moist inside of the skin until Callan yanks it away from her and says "No. We don't eat that." She hands Branwen a piece of cooked rabbit instead, which the young harpy takes a bite of, frowns, and then shuffles off to eat in peace. She ends up near Marius, watching his copper coin with wide eyes and a greasy mouth. He pointed teeth glint in the firelight.

Masama and Burnbright move toward the fire when the meat is done, the two in mid-conversation.

"How can she get across the whole world that fast?" Burnbright asks.

"She is not bound by our physical laws," Masama says. "She journeys partly in our realm and partly in the spirit realm. Only supernatural obstacles can stand in her way, and our prayers help her with those."

Burnbright frowns. "If she's not bound by our world, why run across it at all. Why doesn't she just fly or something?"

Masama gives her a broad, white-toothed grin. "And now you have come to the heart of it, child. She makes the journey to give us hope." With that, the big man takes his share of rabbit and moves back to his post, watching the darkness outside the camp.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  6. Steerpike

In the Woods

The dwarves take their share of food as well, and begin discussing the best way to set watch for the evening. They ask Baldhart, Cadell, and others for input. It is clear that Brok is capable of standing watch. The other two dwarves seem exhausted again, after sitting to eat.

When Brok is able, he steals away a quick, private moment with Cadell. "I may have been too hasty when we spoke earlier. My apologies. Your race is long-lived, as is mine, and you have long memories. It may be that you will believe my story. Let us speak by the forest's edge. Bring the she-elf, and other others you believe will not laugh me out of the forest. I will tell you what I know, and why the Delve has been set on edge."

7. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I nod when Brok speaks, and smile at his apology. "I accept your apology." The term 'she-elf' rankles me, and I correct him. "Her name is Liadan."

I beckon for Liadan and Baldhart to join us. Liadan follows at once, looking curious.

8. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

"Oh! How kind of you," I say to Tumi.

When Cadell approaches, I am happy to join.

"We've seen a lot of strange things here in the north," I tell Brok, "and we expect the most amazing of all, for better or worse, is in the Delve."

I better not blather on as usual, and let the man get a word in.

9. Steerpike

Once Brok has gathered Cadell, Liadan, and Baldhart around him, he lowers his voice. He nods to Liadan, saying "Yes, Liadan. I meant no disrespect."

He clears his throat heavily, then begins:

"There be many ways beneath the world, ways made by we dwarves as we created our halls, created our roads, or sought the treasures that the earth has to offer. Some of these ways are older than others. Many have been lost.

"Once, all of the holds of north lands were connected by underground passages. Today, these dark roads join up the Drimmen Delve and the Verstenn Hold, though we do not journey to the Hold n'aemore. Ye may know that Aslaug makes her den in the Verstenn Hold, befouling the ancient passages of our brethren. She made alliances with rutch, the foul folk that live in the mountains and beneath it. They journey through those ancient passages, seeking the way to the Drimmen Delve."

Brok looks everyone in the eye a moment before going on. "Dain decided that we must collapse the tunnel to the Verstenn Hold so that our enemies might not use it against us. Before we do that, we need new passages - new ways to travel beneath the earth, new rock to mine for ore. The tunnels to the Verstenn Hold have long sustained our needs, and if we cut off our access to them tunnels we need an alternative. And so we searched to the ends of the tunnels we now know, deep beneath the earth to tunnels that we long ago turned our eyes from because they no longer held value. And from those tunnels we began to dig anew, sometimes finding ore, sometimes finding nothing, and sometimes finding more ancient tunnels that were lost to our memory.

"One such tunnel, deep below the Drimmen Delve, struck away north. T'weren't a mining tunnel but what we deem a road - a tunnel dug to get from one place to the next. But where this tunnel led we had no idea - our forefathers must have built it, but it passed from our knowledge.

"We sent an expedition north through this tunnel, hoping ta find a long abandoned hold far beneath the ice. Such treasures there might be there..." Brok trails off a moment, eyes glistening. Then he continues. "Three days the expedition crept along this tunnel, and as they went the walls grew older. On the third day, the tunnel sloped downward, deeper inta the earth, and then opened into a vast cavern of ice and rock. Crystals of light winked from the ice and cast the cavern in a pale gloom, but that dim light was enough to let me kin see what was in that cavern.

Brok pauses again, then takes a deep breath and rushes forward, as though to get the speech over with. "Coiled on itself there in the cold lay a tremendous white wyrm. It's scales twinkled like the ice in the caves, each the size of a dwarven shield. It lay curled, head tucked down toward its chest, tail wrapped over its head. The thing did not move, and we thought it dead, preserved by the cold or some strange magic. Me kin crept into the cavern, carefully, and examined the beast. No sign o' life came from it. They sent fer our runecasters.

"I examined that great wyrm myself, and I can tell ye that it lives. Neither our movement in the cavern, nor any amount of noise we made roused it from its slumber, but it lives. The matter was taken before Dain, for there were different views about what to do with the thing. Some wanted to kill while it slept. Others argued that tryin' to kill it would wake it fer sure, and since it showed no sign of rousing it was best to leave it be. In the end, Dain agreed to leave it alone. The days o' dragons are too far gone, and this one in too strange a slumber, to know what'd happen if we attacked it. We've guards posted in the tunnels outside, and there's talk of collapsing the cavern if we can.

"But you see now why there is a dark mood at the Delve. Orcs on the move, Aslaug and her Taint, evil races being brought together under the witch. And now a creature the likes of which ain't been seen since the Great War. We fear dark times are upon us. There are those who would retreat further beneath the mountain, to let the world sort it out and come out when it's over, though so far Dain ain't thinking that way."

Brok looks challengingly at members of the group. "So, what say ye all. Will ye call me a liar? If so, best do it to me face!"

10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I listen in wide-eyed fascination at Brok's tale, and a strange thrill runs through me at the mention of the wyrm -- part curiosity, part dread. What ancient secrets might reawaken with the beast, or die with it?

Brok challenges us to call him a liar, and I smile and shake my head. "I believe your account, Brok. You don't seem a liar to me."

Liadan shakes her head as well. "Nor to me."

11. Philster401

Philster401 Maester

Zoran after remembering that Baldhart had asked him something replied, "sorry I must have blanked out for a moment Baldhart if have one I would be more than willing to give up a cloak."

So Zoran took off his backpack and rummaged through it looking for a cloak when/if he found he found one he takes it out and hands it to Baldhart
    "Here."

((Sorry school has been busy just started 2nd semester 3 weeks ago and at the same time we have had snow that has lined up perfectly with our A days and we have a fixed schedule. So, we have only had 2-3 a days so far this semester and we are falling behind.))

12. Philster401

Philster401 Maester

((Oops just caught up the rest of the way and realized someone has already given her a cloak))

13. Philster401

Philster401 Maester

((Just an hour or 2 late))

14. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

"My cousin's soul lived in my body for seven years before revealing herself as a two-foot-tall Valkyrie. I have no trouble believing you saw a sleeping dragon. I'm also not surprised Darin's father is wise and decisive. So we will meet Dain? Regretful we will come to him as the ones who buried his son.

"Unless battle forces us to defend Ballara, we will finish our business in the morning and head to the Delve without further delay. Aslaug knows about this sleeping dragon, so we learned, and I suspect the drow are heading your way as well.If you permit it, we can ask if anyone in Ballara is willing to join us.

"Defending the north means defending the Delve. If the wrong people wake that dragon, even my southern mountain won't be safe."

15. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

I sit down for some rabbit, thanking Callan for feeding us. I say to Tumi, "Baldy's grateful. You could see it in her eyes, though she didn't say much—unusual for her not to talk your ear off. But you treat a lady nice like that, not looking for any favor in return, the good ones'll fight over you.

"Well… as long as they're not idiots who are into the bad-boy thing. There's this seamstress in Arendal who made this outfit for me—including the backpack that hides my wings. And she has this daughter, nineteen, cute, great with kids, but she wanted to marry a total jerk. He was an egotistical mercenary, and in fact he was working for a sorceress of Aslaug's. Baldhart killed him. Well… I was in her body at the time, and her soul floated away somewhere—just has she got him in a headlock and put her sword to his throat. I took over her body, which is surprisingly hard to do—like riding an elephant when you've only ever ridden a pony. Anyway, I made her arm do what she intended, so I guess technically I killed him. Either way, he's dead and Dalla's single."

I take a bite out of her rabbit and go on,

"I get what you mean about dying a maiden, and it did help me to be the valkyrie I am, I think. Most who live a warrior's life get into flings, think it's all fun and no attachment, then think differently after a while. We have quite a few ladies who were separated from their man by their fall in battle—or their man's, some are mothers who died protecting or avenging their families, or they died trying. I know a mother-daughter pair, and also two ladies who were like wives to each other, but normally if you're a valkyrie those you knew in life will not be.

"Anyway, let's assume the girl you love isn't trying to earn her wings and isn't pining over a jerk ex who deserved to die. Anyone in Ballara you have in mind?—if you don't mind me asking."

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  16. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

Marius

Marius watches as Brok gathers a few people to secretly talk about something on the edge of camp. Glancing at Branwen, he says, "What do you suppose they are talking about? Probably secrets about Dwarven beard grooming or revealing whether or not female dwarves exist, and if they do, which among them is a girl. Or... maybe they are plotting against us, eh Branwen?"

He cuts off a bit of rabbit and chews on it before giving some spare meat to the little harpy, careful to avoid having his fingers bitten by her in the process. "You notice how the dwarves look at you, Bran? I hear that dwarves eat harpies. Maybe they are talking about how to fatten you up and eat you. That would be awful, right? Don't worry though, we are friends and I'll protect you from any hairy old dwarf. If they start trying to eat you, you just call out 'Marius' and I'll shoot them off faster than you can say kitten. Don't eat them though. I hear dwarf meat is bad for your digestion. It's tough as leather and gives you the runs for a week! I know I wouldn't want to eat anything like that, right Bran?"

17. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Cali

“If you have some parchment or such I can write on and something I can write with, I’d be happy to write up a note you can leave with the leader,” I tell Rik. “I can pay for the parchment if you like."

"And by the way, my name is Cali Norling. I appreciate your help with this.” And I offer my hand to Rik to shake along with a smile.

“And as for the man you asked about, I do not believe I know him. I traveled up from Srilkind with just my mule.”

18. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Aliron:
    Seeing no action from the Orc camp, Aliron walks silently into camp, finding a place to watch the trail to the orcs, he jabs the arrow he had ready into the dirt and carefully places the bow next to it. He finds something to eat. While chewing on the meat, he checks on Branwen, Burnbright, Baldhart, and then Bressel. He checks over the new faces, the dwarves, the new guy who always seems to have a coin in hand, and all the others.
    He focuses on the trail to the orc camp, Branwen's safety and listens for any unaccounted sounds as he eats.
    Baldhart's undressed again...at least we are far enough away from water to drive the water lizards crazy, he smiles. Nothing ever good happens when she undresses though.
    Bressel is quiet, must have sung himself tired.

"Before this quest, I might not believed that story of the white wyrm. Creatures long thought dead coming back, cursed magic being twisted on itself, the world is dark and twisted, and getting worse. A giant frosty snake is just believable as anything else. All the nightmare creatures from our nursery rhymes will probably haunt all of us before we find victory or death. I plan on being around a long time and killing as many new creatures as I can before my final breath. Then again, I would just be happy to make it to summer. I hate how far behind I am in my drinking and funding the brothel's of the world, but these are the sacrifices one makes in trying to save the world."

19. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Bressel:

Relaxes next to the fire, eating silently.
    Listening to the on going discussion.
    He knows to watch Aliron for any dangers, but also watches the new comers and how they act around Branwen.
    After he finishes eating he leans back, wraps up in his cloak and rests.

20. Steerpike

The Woods

Brok nods to Cadell and Liadan when he finishes his tale. "A dwarf won't lie to you, and that's a fact. But them who ain't dwarves don't always know it, and they expect that we'll lie just like anyone else."

To Baldhart, he says "Yer help defendin' the Delve will be much appreciated, if it comes down to that. So far, we ain't had much trouble at the Delve itself, and I for one would rather see the threat dealt with before it gets to our halls. There's those that want to close our doors and pretend it don't concern us. When we get there we'll see whether they've swayed Dain. And yes, you'll meet the King. No doubt he will be eager to hear your tale, and also to hear how his son fell and what became of his remains." He nods to Cadell, "Too, he'll want to hear from you on account of that medallion. Never heard of one given to an elf before."

Tumi continues his conversation with Nissa, saying "They say hard times are coming, Miss Nissa. If that's so, I hope what's to come don't change you. You're a good sort just as you are."

Tumi seems suitably impressed by Nissa's story of the fight with Tommen, eyes widening and making appreciate noises at the proper places in the story. He casts a sidelong look at Baldhart when her name is mentioned in the story. By and large, Tumi seems to enjoy the easy conversation with Nissa. He listens to eagerly to stories of valkyries, and colors slightly when Nissa mentions women who were like wives to one another, apparently turning over the possibilities in his head until he realizes he's sort of drifted off and snaps back to attention.

"No one in particular I got my eye on," Tumi says to Nissa. "Ballara's small, and I don't guess there's no one there interested." Callan interjects with "they all know you too well," but Tumi ignores her and continues: "Thought one day I might take a trip to Alfoss and find a wife in the big city, then bring her back to me." He considers a moment. "This Dalla, though. She's pretty, you say? Or did you say?"

The conversations around the fire are interrupted by Branwen, in a high and uncharacteristically non-melodious voice, blurting out "Eat Bwannen!?" The little harpy is wide-eyed as she squats next to Marius. She has half a piece of rabbit hanging from her mouth, her eyes wide on the dwarves. She pulls the remaining rabbit into her mouth with a snap, then bares her pointed teeth at the two dwarves by the fire. They frown, then turn away from her, Rukh muttering 'rutch' under his breath as he finishes up the last of his rabbit.

Brok turns away from Branwen's outburst, addressing Aliron. "Ah, the stealthy one appears." He gives a half smile. "You are not wrong about the world. Things be changing, and I don't like the direction it's heading. We'll all see more monsters than we want before it's all over, I reckon. You come to the Delve, and we'll show you how to drink, and no mistake. Got no brothels, though."

"Now what's this about drow heading for the Delve," Brok asks.

The forest around the camp remains quiet. As the evening grows longer, it is time to rest and set watches. Brok insists that his two kinsman rest. Callan offers to stand the first watch, and Masama says he will watch first as well, if that is agreeable to the company.