1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act IV

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 26, 2014.

  1. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,096
    1,532
    313
    Liadan

    I suppress a gasp at the sight of the dark elf. I've always known them to exist, but never did I think I'd see one. As Baldhart moves to intimidate the dark elf, I keep my bow trained on the lizards. I shoot again at the one I wounded.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  2. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    Baldhart

    Eep!

    [​IMG]
    ((I'm also not sure if the deflect missile was legal, but it missed anyway.))

    I instinctively wave a hand in defense, then realize the arrow wasn't meant for me.

    It's Liadan! She shot the lizard who's now dangling from my other hand. A nice shot! And I suppose the caster will cast his spell on Liadan instead of me now. I guess I'm not the only religious lady trying to take a hit for the team.

    If he zaps Liadan while the lizards all huddle behind him, I have a chance. Maybe I can rush him before he gets a second spell off.


    ((I'm not sure if I can legally take my full movement since my attack was cancelled by the arrow. If possible, Baldy edges forward as she speaks, attempting to get in charging range if she isn't there already. She won't make an aggressive motion until the spell is cast… that is, if she can move after it's cast.))


    I'm pretty sure the lizard's dead. I gently place him on his feet, not caring if he slumps over. I say to the caster,

    "Hey, you can't pin that one on me, pal. I just found my aunt and cousins dead at the farm, and these kind-hearted elves are helping me seek survivors. Uh… I didn't just stumble into a centuries-old elf war, did I?" Pointing at Masama, I say, "We humans try to get along with everyone."

    I really don't want Liadan hurt, but maybe her distraction gets me in position. My next attack needs to count…
     
  3. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,260
    3,607
    413
    [​IMG]

    One of the lizards, as yet unwounded, is breaking away from the group, heading toward the dark elf in the corner, when Aliron's arrow takes it in the back. The lizard lets out a dying squeal and then sprawls forward, dead before it hits the ground.

    Baldhart heads for the dark elf, grabbing the wounded lizard and speaking to the dark elf. No sooner has she grabbed the lizard up than Liadan's arrow catches the thing beneath the jaw, the arrow piercing clear through to the skull and pinning the creature's mouth shut. It is unlikely the creature would have much use for the mouth, as it too is dead.

    Even before the arrow, the dark elf showed no sign of concern at what happened to the lizard, its dark face remaining impassive as Baldhart neared. It does not answer any of her statements.

    Masama is moving up behind Baldhart, also fixed on the dark elf, when the dark elf makes a final gesture with its hand. The room is plunged into impenetrable darkness - not the darkness of the night sky, where shadows and faint light might still be made out, but a kind of inky black that cannot be natural. There are sounds of shuffled footsteps from the corridor where the dark elf was waiting, but no other noise apart from a faint cry of alarm from the area of the stairs - from Biorn, by the sound of it.
     
  4. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    I take Masama's hand and tug in the direction of the entrance. He'd risk it all for us... I don't know why I trust he would, but I do. And I don't want that for him or anyone here. To stay in this is irresponsible, knowing we can more-than-double our number just like the lizards did.

    I chance using my voice.

    "To the boy! This ain't a suicide mission, and they ain't the only ones who can get reinforcements."

    The boy only fears the dark--of that I'm certain, as much as I can be. I pray Alin won't stay behind, though whatever he does, I won't hear him. I hope Ankari has the sense to leave, but he's the one who rushed into an enemy lair unprepared. With a larger force, I'd suggest we surround the caster and wait out the spell. That would not be wise in the current situation--even a fool like me knows that!

    I'm barefoot. Does that make me quiet enough? I move in a low stance using my long legs to make long strides. The caster knows where the door is, he'll aim there next. But we don't know what the enemy can or cannot see, so no sense in taking a roundabout path. My body or Masama's might serve as a shield to others.

    Hell, the risk of using my voice is minimal. "Biorn, feel your way out. I promised Cadell I'd see you out safely."

    I move to where his voice came from. Blindly. Feeling with my toes, and guiding Masama if he'll let me.
     
  5. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,096
    1,532
    313
    ((I didn't know the lizard Baldy grabbed was the one Liadan shot! Looks like that was a bad move on my part.))

    Liadan

    I gasp as darkness envelopes us all, deeper than even my keen eyes can penetrate. I back off, feeling my way through the darkness toward Biorn. Trying to fight in this darkness would be foolish -- best to retreat if we can.
     
  6. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,260
    3,607
    413
    When Baldhart grasps Masama's hand, the big man squeezes back to let her know he understands. "Yes. We must get the boy out of here. We have no knowledge of the enemy's number or capabilities. I will be right behind you."

    Baldhart can feel the presence of the man moving behind her. As the two make their way toward the stairs, Liadan also feels her way back through the darkness. It only takes a few moments before her hands find Biorn. The boy has made no noise other than his initial gasp. He jumps when Liadan first touches him, but seems to realize quickly enough who she is.

    When Baldhart calls out to Biorn, he answers in his quiet voice: "Liadan has me!"

    As the party moves through the darkness, there is in rapid succession three clicks - the trigger mechanisms of crossbows. A brief second of uncertainty, and then the bolts are heard impacting the hard stone of the left-hand wall of the room and then clattering to the floor.

    The party makes it to the hallway that leads out of the underground chamber, at times have to feel along the wall with hands to find the correct way. Liadan and Biorn are ahead of Masama and Baldhart, the latter bumping into each other once they reach the relatively narrow corridor.

    ((Aliron and Ankari can leave as well, of course)).

    Once near the foot of the stairs that lead outside, the darkness disappears. Looking back, you can see the edge of it, like a tangible thing that has taken up residence in the room beyond. There is no sign of pursuit, which is to say you do not hear any pursuit. If it were coming quietly you would of course hear nothing.
     
  7. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    528
    113
    Aliron
    Aliron grins, closes his eyes, picturing the drow's smug expression as the light went out.
    He points the bow and releases from memory.
    normal to hit day arrow [1d20+6] = 9+6 = 15 ;damage[1d8] = 1 If not the elf, maybe one of the lizards will get the arrow.
    He feels confident about the release, but moves silently towards the exit. He can hear the others moving up the stairs, and bolts hitting a wall.
    Aliron gets to the stairs, but stops listening for the lizards and the Drow.
    Slipping the arrow in place by feel.
     
  8. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    Baldhart

    "Well, so much for the element of surprise, but that could've gone worse, right?"

    I see the edge of the darkness remains still. Maybe they won't follow… or maybe the source of darkness remains still, but the enemies are finding strategic positions. Alin and Ankari aren't out yet. But I announced my move. If Ankari's that gung-ho about confronting the enemy, that's his problem! His recklessness put us in a difficult position. That darkness spell did us a favor!

    Only… if Ankari wanted a fight so bad, why didn't he bloody his axe or shoot the caster? What happened to drawing the enemy to me, the boulder in a dress?

    Oh, well. I watch the exit, staying to one side as long as the darkness itself doesn't move. At least I trust Alin has the sense to leave…
     
  9. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    528
    113
    Pm sent to SP with question.
     
  10. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    528
    113
    (Unless there is someother action that would need me to wait, I figured I'd move on out. Ignore my post if there is action that would require a different action.)

    Aliron moves on up the stairs, quietly listening for any sounds of pursuit.
    Ankari was around the area, but unless they bump each other I doubt one quiet elf will hear the other quiet elf.

    Once up top
    "How did the battle here go? Where is Branwen and Burnbright?" Aliron asks looking around.
    "There is a Dark elf down with the lizards. We must decide what to do, move on and leave the townspeople or decide to fight, and get around the darkness."
    "I tried to shoot the elf after the darkness fell, but I do not think I hit him. I did not think even the Heartbow could hit in darkness. I think it benefits to have my eyes watching the target. So I decided not to waste the shot."
     
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  11. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    Baldhart

    "There were lizards outside, so I fear the children were attacked while our group was spread too thin. Cadell and Mauve went back to check on them, and I'm sure Nissa's with them by now."

    I look at the throbbing darkness.

    "I don't know how silence was broken… and I'm not asking, really. But that dark elf—he just wanted to get rid of us. Maybe the captives are dead, maybe not… in any case, I don't think our presence deterred the elf much. His spell won't last, then he'll go back to what he was doing.

    "Only I say we don't let him. When our whole group's together, let's go in. There could still be people in there that could use a rescue, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pretty much unscathed." I look at the scratches all over me. My white dress is torn and bloody. "Well, I got a little scratched charging through the bushes, but the only attack that hit me was the rabbits."
     
  12. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,260
    3,607
    413
    The party is able to re-group outside the darkness. As he goes, Aliron fires a shot from within the darkness, aiming toward the last known position of the dark elf. A second later there is the sound of an arrow clattering against stone. The excited yipping of the reptiles ensues, followed by a harsh command in the reptilian language, but one that is not uttered by a reptile. The lizards go quiet.

    Outside the darkness, Masama frowns. "Darkness is the enemy of Asra. It is in the dark, at night, as she journeys across the world, that she is in danger. To call darkness in such a manner...if we needed any further proof that what dwells here is evil, we have it."

    Biorn's eyes are wide, and he runs to Liadan's side as soon as she emerges from the dark. "What was that? What's calling darkness? He's not talking about magic, is he? That's bad. We should get out of here. Let's go find Cadell." The boy speaks quickly, then catches his breath. The events underground have clearly shaken him a bit.

    There is no sound or evidence of pursuit from within the underground chamber. Ankari emerges from the darkness a few seconds behind the party, moving quietly, giving no indication of a pursuit. As the party gathers to assess its situation, all is quiet down below.
     
  13. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    Baldhart

    "Biorn, I understand how frightening that spell appears to be, but it's not the first I've seen of it. The enemy sees the darkness as we do, and it's up to the enemy to conceal the source of the darkness or remain blind. So they're standing around in the dark while we're out here in the open air."

    I turn to Alin, "I don't suppose you took any of the oil bottles with you. Maybe you can build a crazy trap with—what? Rope, a lit torch and a bottle oil or two? Then we can go meet the others or just back off a bit from here. I'm curious to see if any lizards would follow us if they don't sense our presence out here. I'm assuming the trap could easily be dismantled from our side.

    "Oh, and I'm also assuming the lizards will set a trap for us… at least if they can see what they're doing."
     
  14. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,096
    1,532
    313
    Liadan

    I wrap a comforting arm around Biorn as I reply. "Yes, he was speaking of magic. Not all magic is evil, but that sort certainly is. The caster is a dark elf -- and I have never had the misfortune of seeing one before. This cannot bode well."

    I look around at the others. "We should find the others and return with our full strength to deal with this."
     
  15. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,624
    882
    113
    ((I'm back, folks))

    Alin has left. I am alone with the drow. The fear of darkness is rooted in the fear of loss. Without sight the world becomes foreign. This is the fear shared among the weak.

    "We are alone. Speak and be heard."

    ((I listen for any sign of another life in this cavern.))
    Listen: [1d20+3] = 16+3 = 19
     
  16. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    528
    113
    "I took two containers of oil. A usable resource, that is not accounted for? I am hurt that you think I would not partake in the towns generosity. I also refilled my quivers with their far inferior arrows to my elven shafts, but with Agapanthus' blessing they will find their intended targets."

    "Where are the children?" Aliron asks looking off in the distance, along the path they had come.
    "I think we should get our group together, they could be in danger."

    "A trap....I think I could manage a basic trap. A trip wire that would pour the flasks of oil down along with a torch into the stairway. That would also save the oil if it is not sprung and could not be turned on us as a pool of oil could."
    "I think I can set it up pretty quickly, but I dare not set it up while Ankari is in there."
     
  17. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    ((The GM post said Ankari left the tunnel and is outside with the rest of us. I'm not sure how Baldhart should respond, since she only suggested the trap be set after the GM post said everyone was out. She's a fool, but not an inconsiderate fool. She'd never trap an ally inside with the enemy.))
     
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  18. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    Baldhart

    "Inside?" Sure enough, it's as Alin said. Ankari slipped away into the black. "Aw, not again! Do we have to keep that guy on a leash?"

    I'm half tempted to go in there and drag him out, but my only concern is he'll draw attention to himself. My presence would ensure that.

    "Well, maybe he's gonna throw rocks to see how many lizards'll shoot at 'em. If the caster was willing to throw fireballs in the dark, he'd've hurled one in my direction when I asked everyone to head out." To Alin, I say, "I can see why Ankari won't tell me anything, but do you have any idea what he's thinking? For a guy who says 'company' a lot…" What can I say that the others don't already know? "Aw, forget it."

    I say to Liadan, "We can watch for the others from here or go back and meet them halfway. I'm happy with either. Maybe we can get everyone together before the darkness fades."
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  19. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    528
    113
    "He tried to talk to the lizards after youtacked were attacked upstairs. I tried to stop him before he was noticed, but I was too late. So I shot the lizard, trying to kill them all quickly. So the group could unite before we took on the rest of the lizards. That did not work."

    "Can you communicate with Nissa? Have her check on the rest of the group, and have them move up?" Aliron asks looking back for signs of the group.
     
  20. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,825
    2,915
    413
    Baldhart

    "Talk? Was he explaining to the enemy his plan to lure them to the 'boulder in a dress?' Does he understand their language? Those lizards bark like annoying little dogs, the kind that get their asses kicked by cats. Wait… does that mean he went back down to talk?—to that elf who wouldn't talk to me? I suppose it was obvious I was just drawing attention and messing with the caster's head since I was too far to charge the him. But still, the dark elf doesn't seem like a chatty guy."

    Nissa… I hope all is well with her and the others. Maybe they really did get attacked…

    "Things are different with Nissa now. She hasn't been in my head since Arendal. She'll have that body for the rest of her life… or mine, or… well, I don't fully understand why, but I guess it's good that I can't talk to her now. That means she didn't die. She went there to get the others to come this way. Unlike Ankari, I trust Nissa will stick to what she said."

    I turn to Biorn. "Do I really look like a 'boulder in a dress?'"

    I flex my boulderish muscles.
    [​IMG]
     
Loading...

Share This Page