1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act IV

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Baldhart

"I can save a kid from drowning, but not a horse. Maybe you wait on the east back, and Liadan rides with you while I run. Liadan can watch the skies for Nissa. I don't know if we'd move at her speed or mine. Probably mine… I doubt I can run as fast as Nissa can fly."

Nissa

I bid the dwarves good morning and ask them, "Will you come into town with us? It can't hurt for you to get some…" I mean clothing. "…supplies…" Baldy's torn clothing covers enough, but he needs shoes! "…including shoes."

2. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Liadan

I look at Baldhart and nod. "I can do that."

Cadell smiles and nods as well. "That's fine by me."

3. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

Marius

Morning comes with much dread as the nippy weather bites at Marius's flesh. He clenches at his cloak for warmth and the last few shreds of rest before the inevitable awakening that would follow. When the prospect of returning to sleep finally appears to be impossible, he stretches and huddles around the campfire for warmth. Glancing around at whoever will listen he asks, "So... what is the plan now?"

4. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

I greet Marius first with a "Good morning, bodyguard!" As for the plan, I shrug and say, "Sounds like we go to Ballara, talk about the peace we discussed with the orcs, and Baldy and Liadan will deliver the message if it's a positive one. Either way, we're heading to Drimmen-Delve, hopefully by early afternoon. But life has a funny way of forcing a change in plans, so who knows?"

5. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

Marius

Giving a sleepy nod, he says, "Sounds like dwarf country, which I am guessing means underground. I don't like underground. All those twists and turns make it hard to hit anything with an arrow, and there's nowhere to hide if you get in trouble. I suppose it can't be helped though."

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

The Woods

Branwen is more than happy to sit on Cadell's lap in exhange for dried meat. She curls her feet underneath her, talons out of sight as she eats. Shes looks back and forth between party members and the dwarves as conversations get underway. Branwen seems less affected by the cold than one her size should be. Though her skin feels cool to the touch, she does not shiver and shows no sign of discomfort.

Burnbright, on the other hand, is red-faced and cold. She stays close to the fire, talking to Masama, until talk of the day's plans draw the attention of both of them.

Masama purses hip lips when Baldhart mentions she and Liadan going to the orcs. "Splitting up the group...this has not worked out well for us in the past. I am for staying together. If to the orcs, then to the orcs. After, to the dwarves. Our enemies benefit from our separation."

Burnbright shoots a questioning look at Baldhart.

Brok seems less than enthusiastic about making the trip to Ballara, but he nevertheless supports the idea. "Yer word was given," he says. "Those of you who went to the orcs, it was your word that freed me kin. I'll not have it said that a dwarf came between someone and the keepin' of their word.

"And aye," he says, looking over to Nissa. "Clothes would be appreciated. Same fer shoes. If the human in Ballara have anything what'll fit a dwarf, we've got coin ta spend."

Brok's kin defer to his judgment. They move carefully, as though still sore from their ordeal, and are ready to set out in very short order. Brok confers with them before the party sets out, then says to Baldhart "Might be a dwarf can get a proper breakfast in this Ballara, eh?"

The party makes good time coming down the mountain, and soon veers toward the river, retracing their steps from the previous day. Callan travels near the front of the group. Masama tends to linger near the back. When the party reaches the riverbank, it takes traveling downriver a short piece before the rope crossing is once again visible.

Callan frowns. "Remind me to never use this kind of 'orc bridge' again."

7. Steerpike

Rik's Place

Rik sets off immediately to prepare Cali a breakfast, leaving his helper boy to watch the common room alone for a few minutes.

Ranolf gives Cali a surreptitious grin when she launches into his heroics from the night before, and Cali's comments seem to settle the woman down a bit. "Always was a brave one, Ranolf," she allows. "That's one o' the things that caught my eye about 'im." She still gives Cali the occasional sideways glance, but seems mollified.

Ranolf, for his part, avoids that line of conversation altogether and focuses on Cali's question. "Hasn't been any word from the guards, yet. And ain't me or none of me lads left this place since last night. Won't be long now before some of the guards on duty last night are done workin' their shifts. At least one or two of 'em will stop in here for a quick bite before headin' off to bed. We'll get some word then."

Rik returns to the table with a fresh loaf of dense bread, butter, eggs boiled in the shell, and some sort of fish that has been pressed together into little cakes, then cooked. He also has a large mug of fresh buttermilk. "Is there anything else I can for you," he asks Cali. "We don't have a lot of variety this time of year, but there's plenty of what we've got."

Whether to fetch more food or continue getting ready for morning business, Rik leaves the table and Ranolf is able to get questions of his own in between bites of his breakfast. "What brings you up to these parts, Miss?" he asks Cali. "Don't get many traveling through here, particularly not this time of..."

Ranolf trails off as Dalla and the children comes down the stairs and into the common room. Abbi and Gunnar linger a pace behind Dalla, surveying the common room as though looking for danger. Dalla approaches the table and nods at Cali and Ranolf. The woman beside Ranolf looks Dalla up and down and gives Ranolf another look, but the big man ignores it and invites the kids to have a seat. "Ol' Rik'll fix up something ye'll like, don't you worry."

The children look up at Dalla as though for permission, and when she nods they move shyly to the table. The sight of them seems to soften up Ranolf's woman, and she favors both children with a smile.

8. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Cali

I ask Rik, "Do you have any kind of hot beverage? Something to help kickstart the day and warm the bones? Some tea or coffee, perhaps?"

To Ranolf's question, I reply, "Looking for my parents. They left me with my grandparents when I was four, and were supposed to come back for me between 6 months and a year later, only they never did. I know they were on some sort of mission in the north, and it's my life quest to find out what happened to them." That's all true enough. Working my magic is a way to help me find out what happened to them. And to grow in that skill, I need to practice it. And for that, I need companions who won't have me arrested for practicing it. But that's nothing I need to be advertising, given the distrust and unease people currently feel about magic.

"Good morning," I greet Dalla with a smile as she, Gunnar,and Abbi take seats at the table with Ranolf and his wife. "I trust you all slept okay last night? This is Ranolf's wife..." and then I look at her. "I'm so sorry, I forgot to ask your name. I'm Cali, this is Dalla, and the two kids are Abbi and Gunnar. They're the ones your husband helped. You are?"

After Ranolf's wife answers, I ask, "And may I join you as well?"

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  9. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

"I do agree it's better we don't split, but no dwarf, dwarf-friend, harpy or child should enter. And Nissa should fly over before we head up. I just want to take every precaution. They let the dwarves go, and they didn't try any funny stuff with Burnbright, so I'm not worried they would betray us since they could have done so earlier.

"I would like a proper breakfast."

10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

"No Dwarf-friend, you say. Would it not be best if they're greeted first by familiar faces? You and I are as much known to them as Liadan."

11. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

"Forgive me, Cadell. I mean at the orc camp. Things were tense in there. I don't want Burnbright in there. If they learn who she is, we're no match for the orcs in the camp. Most of us should stay close to her in case trouble starts.

"I only suggest what I think minimizes risk. They expect me, only Liadan can speak their language, and it's like last time, they'll have the rest of you standing unarmed and not allowed in the conversation. The presence of a harpy or dwarf will provoke them. And Cadell, do they know you're a dwarf friend? That could provoke the orcs. Not all approved of the way Korgak dealt with us.

"I intend to keep the conversation short, and that's assuming we can get Ballara to agree to peace, or a truce if they prefer to call it that."

12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I nod. "I see your point. There's nothing to forgive."

13. Steerpike

Masama

The big man considers Baldhart's words, nodding along as she speaks. "Yes. You speak good sense, Baldhart. I do not wish to see us split up again, but perhaps there is greater danger in putting some of our company at the mercy of the orcs. I will go with you to the orc camp this time, if you wish it. Or else I will stay to guard Catli and Branwen. You have prove wise in your decisions - I will leave it to you."

With that, Masama lapses back into silence.

14. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

"Really?" I try not to laugh too hard. "I can't say I've ever been known for wisdom. Let's just say I'm good at dealing with muscle-heads like the orcs.

"I don't expect a betrayal—but then, betrayals tend to happen unexpectedly. It's just how they work.

"When we speak to Korgak, he will take us deep into his cave. There will me many more orcs than we can handle, no matter how many of us come. And there's nowhere to run. All who speak to Korgak are at the mercy of the orcs.

"As I said, I don't think anything will go wrong, or why would he have let us walk out with Burnbright and the dwarves? But if something does go wrong, I bear the risk with Liadan. She must go, since she's the only one who speaks their language. She was interpreting my promise to them. If I don't go, that's an insult to Korgak which puts Liadan at risk and renders the whole peace-talk meaningless."

Wisdom? Me?

"If you ever get a chance to meet my mother, you can credit her for the wisdom. Of course, if she sees us standing next to each other, you might get her hopes up and make her think I broke my vow."

15. Steerpike

Masama

Masama chuckles, a deep, baritone sound emanating from within his chest. He holds up an arm alongside Baldhart's, his jet black skin a dark contrast to hers. "Your mother would think nothing of this?" He twists his arm back and forth, catching the dim sunlight. "Even among my people there are those who would frown upon such a union." He shrugs. "I believe we are all Asra's children."

16. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

ALIRON
    Aliron moves close and speaks quietly to Marius.
    "When in the open, I am good with the bow. When in close quarters I am good with my sword. Death from a distance is safer then death up close, but most likely, either way, they won't see death coming until it seizes them."
    In the depths of cave or tunnel, use silence and hide to surprise the opponents, but always mindful of the group's attacks, a friendly's arrow is still deadly. When in doubt prepare to stick'em in the back or shoot them in the front."
    He moves away not waiting for an answer,
    "I still do not trust the Orcs, I go no where without weapons. So I will stay with the group here. Baldhart, you are good without weapons and armor, there is little lost when you go in without them. I am quick, but need my armor and weapons to do my work. Maybe some day you can show me the way of the weaponless, but for now, I stay with my weapons and if need be, I will provide you a safe retreat."

Bressel:
    "No need to over stay our welcome. I would like to put distance between the orcs and the Dwarves. The sooner the better."
    Bressel says organizing his equipment.

17. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

I tell Masama, "Now I really want to bring you home to Mother! I think I told you I took my first vows with my friend Hanako, who is from a small island in the east. Her master and my mother are cousins—the master was invited to train his class on my mountain and Hanako was the only girl, so Mother let me train with her."

I better not start telling this story, or we'll be having lunch in Ballara instead of breakfast.

"But what I really want to tell you is that my mother is from the east. I am considered mixed blood. If my parents disapproved, they would be hypocrites."

I tell Aliron, "I'm lucky I had the chance to learn to fight this way. I feel so free fighting without all that metal! If you ever want me to show you, I'll be glad to."