1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act V

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

((Everyone, when responding to this, can orient themselves spatially as they wish, whether in Ballara, remaining outside of town, and where in Ballara or the woods they want to be. I'm not entirely clear on who intended to go where, and since the game has been on hiatus a while everyone should feel free to decide these things anew)).

A cold, clear day with a mostly impotent sun rising over the northlands. The dirt streets of Ballara are largely empty, all of the activity of the town concentrating with renewed vigor on completing the town's pallisade. There are only a handful of townsfolk not involved in the building process:

1) A pair of guards set at both roads, keeping watch on those passages into town even though gaps in the pallisade still allow for entry at other places;

2) Three guardsmen, including the captain, stationed at the long, low barracks building that the guard of Ballara use when on duty. One of these is stationed outside the door, refusing entry to any but other guardsmen. The other two, including the captain, are holed up inside (with the prisoner who attacked Dalla and the children, as rumor has it).

3) Rik and his boy remain in Badger's Place, ensuring that food and drink are available to those working on the pallisade at the appropriate times.

After finishing his breakfast, Ranolf makes hurried farewells to Cali and leaves to join the pallisade effort. His woman leaves as well, but doesn't head for where the men are working and instead moving deeper into the town. Rik has food ready for Dalla and the children when they come down. All three have dark circles under their eyes but seem cheerful enough, and Dalla seems gratified that Abbi and Gunnar show healthy appetites when Rik serves them.

The party members returning to town will be challenged by the guard, but Callan and Tumi are recognized quickly, as are any others who have already been to Ballara. It is easy to see that the guards seem even more tense than the day before, and it takes only a moment for Callan, Tumi, and anyone else asking to learn of the attack in Badger's Place, and of the strange prisoner in the guard barracks.

((We can assume those who wanted to cross the river have done so; Cadell would have to ride a bit out of the way to find a place safe for his mount to make the crossing, but Nissa could help by flying above the river and scouting, so it is up to Ireth whether or not he is going to Ballara or planning to rendezvous with the party elsewhere. If any party members remain out of Ballara, Angrim and Rukh will stay with them. Brok will go into Ballara with the party.

Everyone can assume some time has passed, those who want to be in Ballara have just arrived and learned of the attack in Badger's Place. Dalla and the kids remain in the common room there. Cali can be in Badger's Place still, or pursuing other business. Just jump right in and post as you like, and then I'll update accordingly)).

2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Baldhart

Glad to be back in civilization, I encourage the dwarves to join me at Rik's. I'd love Burnbright to join as well, but if she's to remain hidden, I let her keep the ring on her. I expect Tumi will follow Nissa. I enjoy Callan's company, but she's not the sentimental type. So I tell her she knows orcs better than most, and I might need her help convincing the people the orcs agree to a truce. That I am alive is the only proof I have that orcs have a sense of honor--even though I might cede that self-preservation is the motive...

Once at Rik's, I hear of the attack on Dalla and the kids.

"Are they okay?" I ask. "And... was Dalla able to stop this man on her own?"

3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I return to Ballara to fetch Llucheden, with Liadan beside me. The news of an attack on Dalla and the children in the inn startles me. It seems we'll have more to deal with before we get back to parley with Korgak.

Once Baldhart asks her questions, I add, "Is anything known of the attacker? Who he is, where he came from?" It might be of use to question him, if we can get the chance.

4. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

I say to Cadell, "Maybe you and Baldy can play good-inquisitor-bad-inquisitor with the prisoner."

The Captain's seen my wings, so...

"I'll want to be there when we talk to the captain about this and another matter. He's seen the contents of my backpack."

As have the dwarves. It'll be nice when I no longer need to hide my wings... though I suppose that will be the last place Brynhild will allow me to visit in this body.

Best not to dwell on that now.

Ireth likes this.
  5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Burnbright decides to join those who are going into Ballara, and with that decision made Masama decides to come along as well. Brok joins the group, but Angrim and Rukh remain with those of the party who stay outside of town ((assuming this will be Branwen and either Aliron or Bressel to watch after her)). The guards give a curious look to your diverse group when you enter town, even though they've seen some of you before and have long known Callan and Rumi.

"We got the attacker locked up in the barracks," one of the guards says when questions are raised over the attack. Nobody's been in to seem 'im since he was captured. Wasn't one of us. Not someone from Ballara, I mean. Came into town yesterday and ended up at Badger's. Alone, far as we know."

The party member hurry to the inn, a worried Burnbright striking out as fast as her twelve-year old legs will carry her. When you enter Badger's Place, you see Dalla and the children at a table at the far end of the common room, just finishing up the last of a late breakfast. They look tired, but otherwise none the worse for wear. The kids brighten up at the site of the party, and Abbi squals "Burnbright" and leaps from her seat, dashing toward the group. Burnbright wraps her in a hug. Even Dalla looks relieved to see everyone and doesn't bother to cast any sour looks at Baldhart.

Rik greets the party right away, apologizing profusely for the attack. "I knew he was a strange one when he come in here, but I didn't expect nothin' like this. If I'd have known, I'd have hauled him over to the guard myself, and no mistake. I'm sorry this happened in my place. Just thankful no one was hurt and that someone here was quicker than me 'bout figuring something was wrong.

Rik looks around the common room.

((If Cali is still in the common room, he will point her out as the person who saved Dalla and the children from the attack. If Cali is out around town, Rik will describe her and also mention that she came to the inn looking specifically for the party)).

6. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

"No apology necessary, Rik," I assure the innkeeper. "You can't control what people will do. As it turns out, my companions and I have had better luck with strangers. We managed to rescue a couple dwarves from an orc prison–and without a fight, I might add."

I introduce the dwarves by name.

((I forgot, but I think Korgak is the orc leader, not that Baldy will mention him now.))

"We definitely need to talk to the captain about both matters, but first, I would very much like to see these dwarves fed–" I take coins out of my purse. "–and thank the kind woman who kept Dalla and the kids safe."

((I'll wait for tbgg to confirm where her character is before RP'ing that.))

7. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Liadan

I look at the dwarves with a smile. "If you wish, I could take you to see the tailors after you've eaten."

Cadell

I nod. "I think I'd like to speak with the prisoner. Nissa had a good idea for Baldhart and me. If she's interested?" I give Baldhart a questioning look.

8. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

"If being the bad inquisitor means I get to hurt him, or give him reason to believe I will, then yes. I'm interested."

Nissa
    I approach Dalla and ask her, "Did you inherit your mother's talent with a needle? We have dwarves in need of new clothes... which is why we have a dwarf wearing that..."

I point out the dwarf wearing Baldy's new shirt and pants, cut to dwarf size, then lower my voice adding, "...and it also explains Baldy's look."

((If Masama had a change of clothes on him, Baldy would have thrown something on before going into town. If not, she has her bearskin cloak draped around her so she doesn't cause a scene.))

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  9. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Before the main party arrives

I finish up my breakfast, starting to feel more myself with some food in my belly, and then after thanking Rik for the breakfast, I tell him and Dalla that I'm heading upstairs to take a bath.

I had to push hard to catch up with Sir Matthew's party, and even if I don't look all that bad, I feel unkempt, and I don't want to feel like that when I meet with the leader for the first time. Had events not transpired the way they did, I would have bathed last night. But they did, and that meant delaying the bath and making the best of things. I remind myself to be grateful for a full belly and shelter to sleep in.

I climb back up the stairs and knock on one of the bathing rooms to make sure it's empty. If someone answers, I knock on the door to the second bathing room. I enter the first of the rooms I find free.

Once the water has been brought up, I remove my clothing and settle into the tub, relaxing for a moment. If soap is provided, I begin the slow task of cleaning the road dust from my skin and hair.

((Let's say that Cali finishes up her bath when the party walks into the Badger's Place.))

Feeling greatly refreshed, I don my clothes and quickly finger-comb my hair, making sure to part it slightly on the side the way I like it. Morning ablutions completed, I return to my room for my backpack and quarterstaff. Although I am not crazy about the need to be armed, after the events of the previous night, I feel it's better to be safe than sorry, and since I shouldn't reveal my magic in public, my quarterstaff is my best option.

Returning back down the stairs, I am startled to see that a very tall human woman, taller than I am by close to a foot, I estimate, and two Elves, a man and a woman, have entered the common room. Although I am tall by human standards for a woman, the male Elf towers over me by several inches, and his light-colored hair reminds me of my own. The female Elf is also taller than me, though by no more than about 4 inches. I wonder if they will recognize my heritage even with the band I wear around my head to keep my ears covered.

The human woman is also muscular. Even with Sir Matthew's description to set my expectations for her appearance, I find myself feeling a bit taken aback by her, and I gasp just slightly. Cali, just what exactly are you getting yourself into?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I look over as a woman enters the common room who matches Rik's description of the one who protected Dalla and the children. She seems nervous, so I offer her a smile. "Hello. You must be Cali. I've heard what you did for Dalla and the children; it was very brave of you. Thank you for that."

11. tbgg

tbgg Sage

I give a slight start as the male Elf speaks to me, but his words are gracious and kind, and I relax. "Yes, I'm Cali," I allow. "And we were all very lucky. That situation could very easily have turned out differently than it did. I went to check on Dalla because Rik was concerned about her but was needed at the moment in Common room, and I sort of pushed my way in thinking Dalla might be needing someone to talk to, but I got a big surprise when I discovered she had unexpected company and that the children were tied up. He wanted to tie me up, too, but fortunately, I had a little trick up my sleeve and managed to knock him out. Then I ran for all I was worth to get help because I knew he wouldn't stay out long, and luckily, a local man named Hrolf was quick to run up and get the man fully subdued. He and some other men stayed the night down in the common room, which made it easier for all of us to sleep. There are some good folk here in Ballara." Under other circumstances, I might enjoy talking about my role in subduing a villain, but here...well, I need to be careful how much I say.

Then I ask, "And you are?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

"Cadell. It's a pleasure to meet you." I start to offer her my left hand, then pause and switch to my right. I doubt she'll want to shake an empty gauntlet.

Líadan

Cadell is making introductions, and I smile and join in. "And I am Líadan. Also pleased to meet you."

13. tbgg

tbgg Sage

"Cadell, Liadan," I say, testing the unfamiliar names as I shake Cadell's hand, "It's nice to meet you also." I notice Cadell switch the hand he shakes mine with, but I am uncertain what to make of it. "Who is this?" I finally ask, gesturing to the very large human woman standing next to them.

14. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

With a bow, I introduce myself as "Baldhart Eisenberg, of the Iron Mountain" and tell Cali, "You have no idea how grateful I am you were there from the children while we… foolishly left them unguarded. I'm not sure if you know how much they've gone through." Looking at Dalla, I add, "All of them have suffered so unnecessarily.

"I'd love to hear how you took the man down, but that story can wait. I'm sure you'd like to sit for breakfast, assuming you haven't done so already."

15. tbgg

tbgg Sage

I tell Baldhart, "No, I have not had the chance to hear their story as yet. Our experience last night took the wind out of our desire to talk a lot to each other, and I didn't even get to finish dinner last night or take the bath I needed. I've remedied all of that this morning, though I do still need to run to the local seamstress."

Deciding I'd better get this out early, I add, "I don't know if you've heard this from Rik yet, but I came here looking for you."

Quickly realizing I've been unclear, I gesture to Dalla and the children, Baldheart, Cadell, and Liadan. "Well, ALL of you, anyhow. Your party."

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I tilt my head slightly. "Really? Where do you come from, and why seek us specifically?"

17. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart

"Well… you found us. And you're apparently…" I lower my voice. "…not trying to kill us, unlike others who come looking for us."

Nissa

I give a quick intro, "Nissa van Donk, servant of Brynhild," then ask Cali, "Would you like to have food delivered to our rooms?"

I think it's fairly obvious I mean we should converse in a more private setting, but if anyone asks what I mean, I'll just tell 'em so.

18. tbgg

tbgg Sage

I smile at Baldheart and agree, "No, I'm not."

Looking to Nissa, who seems to be a very short woman indeed, I say, "I'm pleased to meet you as well, and Baldheart, too."

I'm not certain how discreet this group is being about their quest, but I know Matthew seemed reluctant to say too much about it. And I have my own reasons for needing discretion.

"Yes," I say. "I think some food in someone's room sounds lovely. I'm still a bit hungry."

19. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

Once in our room, I remove my backpack. I spread my wings, not bothering to warn Cali as I've warned others.

"I did tell you I'm a servant of Brynhild, right?" I say it with a smile.

Baldhart

"Assuming you don't report directly to a goddess like the rest of us mortals, who told you about us? And… I suppose you know what we're getting into, sort of. Well, please. Go ahead and tell us what brings you out this way."

20. tbgg

tbgg Sage

I blink when Nissa reveals her wings. "Are you a real Valkyrie, then?" I can't really think of what else she could be, though I'm not aware of any tales involving Valkyrie in mortal form.

I then begin my story. "I am currently itinerant and don't have a home, though I grew up in the North. Some number of days ago, I was thinking about heading up to Mittelstadt, when I happened upon an abandoned-looking Temple of Gefjon. To my surprise, I found a Knight by the name of Sir Matthew, a couple of teenagers, and a number of children there. Sir Matthew explained the situation down in Srilkind and how the parents had sent their children to the temple for their safety. He also seemed a bit overwhelmed taking care of so many children, so I stayed on and helped him until we received word that it was safe to bring the children back."

"Sir Matthew seemed troubled to me. I kept encouraging him to confide in me, but while we were with the children, it was nearly impossible to have much conversation without interruption, and when we made it back to the town, there was too much need for aid in rebuilding. So I don't know half as much about your business as you might think. All I really got out of Sir Matthew was that you are all on some kind of quest and that at the center of it all is a young girl who needs protecting. He also gave me one other bit of information that greatly caught my attention. He mentioned that a wizard was in your party. I think the people of Srilkind would have loved for me to stay behind and help in their rebuilding, but once I knew about the wizard, I knew I had to come find you, to find out whether you accept those who do magic."

I can't quite keep the longing out of my voice. It has been so hard to always have to hide this part of me. "Provided, of course, that they are discreet about their abilities and don't ordinarily do foolish things like casting in front of those who fear magic."