1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act V

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jan 7, 2017.

  1. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Baldhart

    "Killing Conal won't save you. If you take him past us, I expect your best tactic is to slit his throat then run. That would cause most of your pursuers to hesitate and call those who do not aid him traitor. You would easily escape in the confusion.

    "Your best advantage is that you're just a piece of shit. Conal's life matters to us. Yours only matters to you. I need proof of life. Let the real Conal speak."
     
  2. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,123
    3,479
    413
    The other "Conal," the one with the knife, twists his upper lip into a curl and studies Baldhart. After a moment, he shakes the prisoner, who groans.

    "Lift your head and speak to this bitch," he says.

    The wounded Conal, clearly the real one, raises his head. His eyes are a bit unfocused. They pass over Baldhart and others in the party, then over Big Sam. "Sam...?" Thin blood and saliva run out of Conal's mouth as he speaks. "They...he killed..." He looks back toward the cell, but the impostor shakes him until he turns back to the party.

    "I have no qualms about killing this one. But I do value my hide," says the impostor with a smirk. "Make a path now, and I'll leave--head south and you won't see anymore of me. Try to stop me, and I'll fight my way through. If it comes to that, you best hope you kill me, because I vow to you that I'll come back for the brat you're hiding. I'll make her scream a few times before I bring her back to dear old mother. You want to risk her life on the chance you can take me, or you want to step aside and part ways? We'll call it a draw."

    He puts the knife firmly against Conal's throat, waiting for a reply.

    Big Sam, having recovered his senses, says "You do him any more harm and I'll tear you apart one limb at a time."

    The impostor, still smirking, remains focused on Baldhart.
     
  3. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Baldhart

    "You value your hide, you say... in the same breath that you threaten my sister. I guess my understanding of how negotiations work is limited to the dumb barbarian way. It works like this: those likely to survive hold the power and do nothing to relinquish it.

    "You are trying to control the situation, but your demand is vague. Only your threat is clear. So now I will give you a moment of complete clarity.

    "Our healer tends to Conal. You wait for her to tell me Conal will live, then drop the knife and run. Comply, I swear to Brynhild I will see you through the door, and I will do all in my power to prevent others from intervening if you run south and do nothing more. Offer ends in five seconds. Refuse me, I will assume you mean to kill Conal."

    :: intimidate ::
     
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  4. tbgg

    tbgg Sage

    266
    32
    48
    Trembling, I peer around for someplace to hide where I could cast Color Spray from and still hit false Conal. I won't use my magic unless I have to, and fervently, I hope I *don't* have to, but I want to be ready.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
     
  5. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Nissa

    I step out the door of Tumi's house in time to see Baldy smash a door! I keep my wings folded, my blade ready. I'll fly and kill if I have to.
     
  6. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    507
    113
    Bressel:
    "You have a lot of obstacles preventing you from passing. The lady, Big Sam here, me, several others out here, plus an archer that can probably hit a flea on a jackrabbit sprinting by. If your goal is to survive, your best bet is to take the deal."

    Aliron:
    Walking around taking in all he can. He decides the entrance is to obstructed to slip in unseen. So he just stays back and watches the area for unusual activity or possibly someone trying to help the person inside.
    He hears Baldhart's offer.
    He tries to see the individual.
    "Baldhart? I have the heart of the issue in hand, just look to the heart and it will be set in motion." He calls out.
    Aliron has an arrow ready to fire into the room.
    {I think if Baldhart turns I could probably see the man. I believe that's all I need to hit him.}
    If he doesn't take the deal, and if Baldhart turns and I can see him and use the Heartbow ability.
    {{how legendary would it be to shoot an arrow past three large people standing in a doorway, into a room and hit a man in the heart.}}
    **at work, will have to roll damage at home if needed.
     
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  7. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,123
    3,479
    413
    The Guardhouse

    [​IMG]

    ((Not sure why that roll isn't showing up))

    False Conal licks his lips, knife still against Conal's throat. His gaze moves between Cadell and Baldhart, and he seems for a moment torn between Cadell's friendly words and Baldhart's confrontational ones. In any event, he seems to be operating on some level of fear for his life.

    "He'll live," the man says to Cadell, trying to modulate his tone to sound reasonable. "Gave him a good beating, but he wouldn't give up your brat. Nothing he can't survive, though. Not yet."

    He seems to assess his situation again, once Bressel speaks, simply frowning at the big man's words.

    He glances back at Baldhart. "Me and your friend here will walk out, past your and your thugs. Safe passage on the word of your elf. Your healer can come check the man. When we're agreed he'll live, everyone backs away and I let him go. Then I leave town. Agreed?"

    He waits, clearly worried, for Baldhart's response.

    The confrontation has begun attracting attention of a few others working one the pallisade. One thick-bearded man puts down his tools and starts heading your way. Word spreads along the pallisade lines through a series of yells from one worker to the other.

    ((There isn't a great hiding place for Cali near the door, unless she wants to hide around the corner of the building itself. There are other buildings around, as well as stacked logs for the pallisade, along the route the man will have to take if he leaves town))

    Tumi's House

    Callan sticks her head out of the house to see what Nissa is looking at. Her hand goes to her sword. Burnbright tenses, watching the two of them. "Do they need help?"
     
  8. tbgg

    tbgg Sage

    266
    32
    48
    I begin to look panic-stricken at false Conal's words and quickly scurry back around the edge of the building itself. For the moment, I peer around the edge at the action. I study the scene before me. If I cast Color Spray at False Conal, who might I hit?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
     
  9. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Baldhart

    He refused my terms. My deal has expired, Brynhild. But then, you knew what I meant by seeing-him-through-the-door…

    "Your terms would not be unreasonable, except that you are an illusionist. For all I know you used magic to make me think I had proof of life. The smirk didn't exactly help your credibility; the pedophilia threat crushed it. But let's assume you might be a man of your word when your ass is on the line.

    "Since you have already agreed to wait until we determine whether or not Conal is truly alive, what side of the door you are on should make no difference. It only matters if there is a liar among us, and since you wear a false face, you are a trickster. You are most likely to go against your word.

    "As for my word, if I relinquish power mere seconds after telling you I will not, that makes me either a liar or a flake whose word changes on a whim, so any oath I make is rendered meaningless. I have made it perfectly clear I care about Conal's life, and I don't care about you at all—and that is your only leverage! Kill him and you have none!"

    I give him a second to let my words sink in.

    "I am growing impatient with you. For Conal's sake—his, not yours—I am reminding myself that whether you run or die is meaningless to me. You want me to remain indifferent regarding your demise.

    "Our healer enters! You will drop the knife and give her space! That is the deal! It is the only deal in which you can expect to live! You and I and all of these witnesses know gods-damned-well that if you come out that door with a knife on Conal, he is a dead man."
     
  10. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,094
    1,468
    313
    Cadell

    I remain silent as the false Conal answers me, and as Baldhart responds to him. I have to defer to her on this -- intimidation is clearly the only language this man will understand. I'd hate to get in the way of our best option for keeping the real Conal alive.
     
  11. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Nissa

    I reply to Callan, "Baldy's talking a lot... which means the prisoner got a hold of Conal. If the prisoner kills Conal, no telling who the crowd'll take it out on. I might need to put my wings to use, if things get ugly.

    "Do you think you can instruct the men to surround the guardhouse door? We need the prisoner to believe he has zero chance of surviving if he slits Conal's throat. We also need him to believe he'll be allowed to walk away... though... I suggest you not make any oath on that. There isn't a chance the prisoner will be allowed to run away. I'll drive my own blade into his skull if need be. The man has already proven to be dangerous even in captivity."
     
  12. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    507
    113
    Aliron:
    Waits for a clear sign Baldhart wants the arrow. Time is up, but they are still speaking.
    (If Baldhart moves to one side enough, if she looks back, or any hostility happens he will send the arrow.)

    Bressel:
    Stands impatiently and looks intimidating.
    Between Baldhart, Bressel, and Big Sam the door is blocked for the most part.
    "I say if he kills, we draw and quarter him. A man can squeal pretty nice as his arms and legs are ripped from his body."
     
  13. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,123
    3,479
    413
    The Guardhouse

    The impostor's eyes dart between Baldhart and the others he can see from his narrow angle on the door. "Your healer may enter," he says. "I won't disarm, but I will give him room to work. He's alive, and so long as I am not attacked he will stay that way."

    A few more guards have peeled away from pallisade duty, watching the guardhouse. Some further down the pallisade, in the direction of Tumi's house, turn as though someone has caught their attention. A moment later Callan can be seen speaking to the men, who start to move toward the guardhouse.

    Tumi's Place

    Callan nods to Nissa. "Aye. They'll listen to me." She slips from the house, moving around the building in the opposite direction from the guardhouse and then making her way to the pallisade.

    Burnbright moves into the space she was occupying next to Nissa, knuckles white on her spear. She looks anxiously toward the guardhouse but says nothing, keying on Nissa's reactions to guide her own.
     
  14. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Baldhart

    "If you give the healer room to work, I assume that means the knife leaves Conal's throat. I am fine with that if the healer is."

    I make room for Liadan, but do not leave the enemy's sight.

    "I will step in behind her and remain by the door. I will not arm myself, nor to I intend to advance beyond the doorway. I just need eyes on you so my healer friend feels safe. She saved my life. I would catch an arrow for her. I trust you do not intend to make her your next hostage. Do not violate what little trust I have for you."
     
  15. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,094
    1,468
    313
    Liadan

    I move forward into the space Baldhart provides, my eyes moving to the prisoner and his hostage. "As long as 'giving me room to work' means you remain beyond arm's reach of me or him."
     
  16. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,123
    3,479
    413
    The Guardhouse

    The impostor watches Baldhart warily, but makes a jerky nod after she speaks. When Liadan steps forward, the impostor takes a step back, pulling Conal with him just to the edge of the first jail. He lowers Conal to the ground, propping him up against the outside of the cell, then takes another couple of steps back, pulling the barred door of the cell partway open so that it is between himself and Liadan. He's out of arm's reach.

    "Examine him," the man says.

    At this point, only Baldhart and Liadan can see the impostor because he is deeper into the guardhouse. Baldhart is the only party member who can see Conal, leaned up against the outside of the jail cell, and thus will be the only one who can see Liadan if she goes to him. Everyone can see Baldhart.
     
  17. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,094
    1,468
    313
    Liadan

    I move forward into the guardhouse, aware of the prisoner's eyes on me as much as Baldhart's. I keep my own on Conal, and kneel in front of him to get a look at his injuries. Cuts and bruises are one thing; I hope there's nothing internal.
     
  18. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    Nissa

    I say to Burnbright, "It's a delicate situation. The hostage-taker can be defeated easily, but the goal is to save the hostage. Callan has the respect of the men. She'll keep 'me in line. We don't want them to storm the guardhouse.

    "As for what you must do, keep your eyes sharp. The man in the prison may have a friend. Or, think of how he got a weapon on Conal. He's either a magic user or an escape artist, so don't assume he can't possibly get to us.

    "I'm not trying to scare you. You're right to have your spear in hand."



    ((How close are Nissa and Burnbright to the inn?))
     
  19. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,123
    3,479
    413
    Liadan

    Conal is heavily bruised, one eye practically swollen shut, now that you're close enough to brush his hair aside and get a better look. The skin on his face is split at his mouth and along one high cheekbone. There is bruising along his body as well, though it looks like it was done to inflict pain but to avoid life-threatening damage, presumably the handiwork of someone who knows what they're doing. Two of his fingernails have been pried off from underneath, probably with a knife. The blood there is crusted and no longer flowing. There is enough painful damage that it seems unlikely a man could bear it in silence, yet Big Sam was just outside all evening.
     
  20. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,123
    3,479
    413
    Nissa

    ((The side road to the Inn is about 1/3 of the way to the guardhouse from Tumi's place, and it's just a bit down that road. Total distance is maybe half as far as the guardhouse. Maybe 60 yards or so. It's not far)).

    Burnbright nods firmly when Nissa speaks, then starts examining the road in the opposite direction from the guardhouse, presumably looking for accomplices of the man who captured Conal. Meanwhile, Callan has ten or twelve men who have abandoned the pallisade to move toward the guardhouse. They're coming at it from all sides that you can see, and Callan herself is approaching from the left (from Nissa's point of view).
     
Loading...

Share This Page