1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg RPG - Magic

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

The magic system for this game is a homebrew combination of a number of systems, with some of my own ideas thrown in. Please ask any questions you have. I'm open to comments and suggestions for incongruities only; the basic system set forth here will not change. Below is provided an overview of how magic will work, with details for specific classes to come tomorrow. We'll see if anyone wishes to play a spell-caster after reading this.

Baseline Mana

All sentient races have a baseline innate ability to tap into magic. This is called Mana. For any non-caster, the number of base Mana Points available is equal to their greater of their INT or WIS modifier. Characters of spell-casting classes, at first level, have 6 + (relevant attribute modifier) Mana Points at level 1.

For example, a Fighter with an INT bonus of 2 and a WIS bonus of zero has 2 Mana Points. This will not change as he levels, absent some magical effect. A Wizard with an INT bonus of 2 has 8 Mana Points at level 1, and this number will increase as he levels.

Every spell requires Mana to cast. The amount of Mana required is equal to the level of the spell, plus one. Thus, a zero level spell requires 1 point of Mana to cast. A third level spell requires 4 points of Mana. A character can attempt to cast any spell they know, regardless of the level of the spell, provided they have sufficient Mana (they can attempt it even if they do not, as outlined below).

Once a spell is cast, the Mana used regenerates at an hourly rate equal to the character's level. Thus, a level one character gains 1 Mana Point per hour. If the character is suffering from "negative Mana" (see below) the character gains ¼ point per level per hour until she is in positive territory.

Although Mana is used, the traditional D&D idea of preparing spells also comes into play. A caster can prepare a certain number of spells per day, depending on class and level (see below) in order to cast the spell quickly at a later time. Spells that are not prepared in advance may still be cast if the character has enough Mana, but may take longer. Non-caster classes may not prepare spells in advance.

How Spells are Cast

Spells that draw on Elven life-energy (such as healing spells) are cast as normal. There is no check needed to ensure that the spell is cast successfully, so long as the spell belongs to the spell list of the class of player attempting to cast it. Casters casting life-energy spells not on their spell lists must make a check, at a penalty (as must all casters attempting spells not on their class lists). There is no penalty for failure other than the lost Mana. Non-caster classes may not attempt to use Elven life-energy.

All other spells are subject to checks in order to ensure that the spell is cast successfully. To make the check, the player rolls a d20, adds the appropriate attribute modifier (INT or WIS), and adds her caster level. The difficulty for the check is 12 plus the spell's level for casters. For all others, it is a standard ability check, with Prime / Non-Prime abilities factoring in as normal. Mana Points are spent whether or not the casting is successful.

If the spell check is successful, the party is greatly relieved. If the spell check is not successful, the caster must make a saving throw in order to control the runaway magic that results from the failed cast. Non-caster classes have no experience in dealing with runaway magic and get no save. If the caster's save to control runaway magic is successful, there are no other negative consequences.

If the save to control runaway magic is unsuccessful (or if there is no save), the runaway magic has an effect. The effect can be mild for low-powered spells, and can cause serious injury or death to the caster and those around her for powerful spells. The more "corruption" a caster has (see below), the more likely the effect is to be bad.

If the spell check made by the caster fails by five points or more, the caster must make a save against corruption or become tainted by the forces she has drawn upon. In this situation, a caster always gains at least one point of corruption, and if the spell attempted is higher than her caster level, she gains a number of corruption points equal to the difference between the level of the spell and her caster level. For example, a third level caster who fails to cast a fifth level spell and suffers corruption will gain two corruption points. Corruption not only worsens the effects of runaway magic, it can also start to manifest as physical or mental effects over time, if the caster accumulates a great deal of it. A non-caster must make a save against corruption on any failed spell attempt.

A caster may attempt to cast a spell when she has insufficient Mana. By doing this, she opens herself up bodily to the forces of magic and attempts to call on more than she can safely handle. The spell check is made at a penalty of -10, and the caster receives negative Mana whether or not the spell is successful. If such an attempt fails, there is always runaway magic.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

But mine are equal... so I guess it doesn't matter much for me, hm?

This is making me reconsider Cadell's class a bit... I might make him an illusionist instead of a knight. I'll think on it some more, and see what happens when there's more info available. ^^

3. Steerpike

Below are the spell lists for the various classes, with level 0 and level 1 spells provided. To begin the game, you pick whichever spells you want to flesh out your currently known spells. From that point forward, spells have to be discovered in-game.

NOTE: Casting spells from another classes spell list means you only add half of your caster level to your roll to get the spell off. When new spells are found, I'll tell you what spell list they go with.

Spells Known

Wizard and Illusionist

A Wizard or Illusionist with an INT of 12 or lower begins play with 4 Level 0 spells and 2 level 1 spells; with a INT of 13 or higher, the character receives 3 level 1 spells.

Cleric and Druid

A Cleric or Druid with a WIS of 12 or lower starts with 4 level 0 spells and 2 level 1 spell; with a WIS of 13 or more, the character gets 3 level 1 spells.

Spell Lists

Below are lists of spells, by class and level, that the characters may start with. An (L) is provided after the name of any spell that draws on life magic rather than the more dangerous sort. If you don't see a description after a spell it means it has been described on a previous list.

Cleric

Level 0:

Create Water - creates 2 gallons of pure water.
    Detect Chaos / Evil / Good / Law - reveals an aura around creatures, spells, or objects.
    Detect Magic - detects a magical aura and its strength in a 50' path
    Detect Poison - detects poison in one creature or small object
    Endure Elements - protects from natural elements and weather
    First Aid (L) - stops bleeding from a wound and prevents infection
    Light - an object shines like a torch
    Purify Food and Drink (L) - makes spoiled, contaminated, or otherwise rotten food or water pure

Level 1:

Bless - allies gain +1 to hit and +1 on saves versus fear
    Bless Water - makes holy or unholy water
    Command - subjects obey a one-word command for one round
    Cure Light Wounds (L) - cures 1d8 of damage
    Detect Secret Doors - reveals hidden doors within 60 feet
    Detect Undead (L) - reveals undead within 60 feet
    Invisibility to Undead - undead cannot perceive the subject
    Protection from Law / Chaos / Good / Evil - +2 to AC and saves, plus other defenses
    Remove Fear - protects against fear; grants new save versus fear
    Resist Elements - grants +2 bonus to saves versus selected element
    Sanctuary - opponents cannot hit the caster; negated if subject attacks
    Shield of Faith - aura grants +2 bonus to AC and saves
    Sound Burst - pulse of sound causes 1d8 damage

Druid

Level 0:

Create Water
    Detect Neutrality - reveals creatures, spells or objects
    Detect Poison
    Endure Elements
    First Aid (L)
    Know Direction - the caster discerns north
    Light
    Purify Food and Drink (L)

Level 1:

Alarm - wards an area and alerts caster to intruders
    Animal Friendship - gain a permanent animal companion
    Calm Animals - calms animals, beasts, or magical beasts
    Detect Snares and Pits - reveals natural or primitive traps
    Entangle (L) - plants entangle everyone in 50 feet (plants must be present)
    Faerie Fire - outlines target with light, cancels concealment and provides +1 to hit against target
    Goodberry (L) - produces 2d4 goodberries, each curing 1 hp (max 8 hp/day)
    Invisibility to Animals - animals cannot perceive subject through sight
    Magic Stones - three stones gain +1 attack, 1d6+1 damage (thrown or used in sling)
    Obscuring Mist - fog surrounds caster and obscures all sight
    Pass Without Trace - subject leaves no track or scent
    Shillelagh - makes a club a +1 weapon (1d6+1 damage)

Wizard

Level 0:

Arcane Mark - inscribes a personal rune, visible or invisible
    Dancing Lights - creates figment torches or other lights
    Detect Magic
    Detect Poison
    Endure Elements
    Ghost Sound - creates figment sounds
    Light
    Mage Hand - telekinesis of objects five pounds or less
    Mending - makes minor repairs to an object
    Message - short, whispered communication at a distance
    Open/Close - opens or closes small or light things
    Prestidigitation - performs minor tricks or tasks

Level 1:

Alter Size - object or creature grows or shrinks 10%/ level (max 50%)
    Burning Hands - 1d2+1/level fire damage
    Change Self - changes the caster's appearance
    Charm Person - makes one person the caster's friend
    Comprehend Languages - understand spoken and written languages
    Erase - mundane or magical writing vanishes
    Feather Fall - creatures or objects fall slowly
    Floating Disk - 3 foot diameter horizontal disk that can hold 1000 pounds
    Hold Portal - holds a door shut
    Identify - determines a single feature of a magic item
    Jump - make astounding leaps for 1 minute/level
    Magic Missile - Strikes for 1d4+1 damage; +1 missile per 2 levels
    Protection from Good / Evil / Law / Chaos
    Read Magic - read magical writings
    Shield - raises AC and blocks magic missile
    Shocking Grasp - electric touch deals 1d8+1/level damage
    Sleep - put 2d4 HD of creatures to sleep
    Spider Climb - grants ability to walk on walls or ceilings
    Summon Familiar - summons and binds a unique companion to wizard
    Unseen Servant - creates invisible force that obeys caster's commands

Illusionist

Level 0:

Arcane Mark
    Dancing Lights
    Detect Illusion - detects illusions along a 50' path
    Dragon Mark - creates a dragon sound on the other side of a door
    First Aid (L)
    Ghost Sound
    Influence - a temporary charm
    Light
    Magical Aura - grants an object a false magic aura
    Prestidigitation

Level 1:

Change Self
    Charm Person
    Color Spray - knocks unconscious, blinds, or stuns 1d4+1 level worth of creatures
    Darkness - 20 foot radius of supernatural darkness
    Daze - creature loses next action
    Dragon Armor - phantom armor grants +1 AC to anyone the caster touches
    Dragon Image - illusion of dragon and breath weapon; 1d6 damage
    Erase
    Faerie's Glamour - makes another appear to be the illusionist
    Head Fog - victim suffers -4 to hit for 1d4+1 rounds
    Hypnotism - fascinates 2d4 HD of creatures
    Illusory Hounds - two hounds distract opponents
    Minor Dark Chaos - whiplike tendrils cause 3 hp damage; last 2 rounds
    Obscuring Mist
    Read Magic
    See Invisiblity - reveals invisible creatures or objects
    Silent Image - creates minor visual illusion
    Undetectable Aura - masks a magic item's aura
    Ventriloquism - throws voice or sound
    Ward's Temporary Strength - +1 STR for 1 turn/level

If you want more information about any spell, just let me know.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    Sparkie likes this.
  4. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I notice some mentions of Faerie in your spells -- Faerie's Glamour and Faerie Fire. Does this have anything to do with the Fae as traditionally depicted in Celtic lore (i.e. Cadell in his original form as a Daoine Sidhe), or their homeland? Are there Fae in this RP at all, or just elves?

5. Nihal

Nihal Vala

- Is there any way to get rid of corruption points?

- Oh, the insufficient mana penality scalated quickly. o.o
    You could, maybe, do some modifications to make it more organic. Accumulating penalities instead of a -10 right in the face or to innitially drain the caster's HP, for he's fatigued. Otherwise I could, for example, acummulate bonus enough to make then -10 less dangeours and have infinite mana.

- What's the base casting time for unprepared spells? And prepared? I never liked the preparying system of D&D, liked GURPS' one more.

Info for brainstorming purposes - In GURPS you must focus to cast a spell. Depending on the spell complexity you may stay still for many turns. The fun part is that you don't need to reveal what you're going to cast until you actually casts it. It's like if you gathered the magic around you and when ready, you turn it in a spell. You don't take time casting, but "gatering enough magic" while focusing. You can drop out of this state at any time (it's different of already having a fireball in your hands) without mana cost neither penalities, but you must restart the process again.

- How do I know which spells requires gestual or oral components? Do spells without them exist? Are there any perks to cast quietly, move only the hands and such?

- Is there any list of next spells for next levels? I wanted to have a glimpse of the, uhm, "sideways" inclinations of the offensive casters. If an Illusionist can nuke in the future or a Wizard gets new spells to get away.
    I wished to play as I've played my warlock, what would be like a ugly child between a wizard and an illusionist. I dropped an offensive spell (like a wizard) and when monsters noticed I shadowalked away (sounds like an illusionist). Sometimes I burnt creatures that kept the pursuit or smacked their faces in melee to taunt them away from some troubled party member.

- I'm curious about the Darkness spell. Is it possible to see through the darkness, the other side of the affected area? Can I cast it in the air? People inside the darkned area can see outside?

- And Mage Hand? What is the maximum velocity of the object, range and such? Besides gravity can I use it to harm people or to generate any kind of penality on enemies by holding their weapons in place *trollface*?

6. Steerpike

I'm traveling all weekend, so most of these questions will have to wait until Monday when I get back.

As far as anyone knows, there is no way to remove corruption once a caster has been touched by it. I'll take a look at negative mana at higher levels, but keep in mind that in this system the chances of accumulating stacking bonuses sufficient to wipe out a -10 penalty are very slim.

7. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Thanks for the answer! No problem, take your time. (I know I'm the annoying player type. :p)
    This fact about corruption fits well my character's BG, yum.

About the penality I know it would be unlikely, but in theory it's possible. I have the habit of looking for weak spots on rules and formulas and this one quickly captured my attention. No problem for me, just sounded odd.

Ignore this one. Quick Start + research answered me (unless you're planning custom spells or to remove some).

I'm burning my brain to get used to the system and figure out which class/spells/secondary attributes I should pick to achieve my desired playstyle. I may need to resort more on melee than I've thought previously so it fits the world story, I hope it's not a problem...

If she fighted with magic all the time she would be dead by now, either hanged by fearful villagers or blowing herself up. Even if she survived she would have too many corruption points already.
    She's smart enough to avoid casting all the time so she would train physically - a little more than mages used to train - to cover up this weakness. Since I've asked for a spear earlier, wich gives me the possibility to slash and make nice holes... *embarrassed*

8. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

If you're not up for magic, Baldhart wouldn't mind having another lady on the frontline. (Fighter + spear + Tyr worshipper = awesome with a spear... I think.)

9. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

Knight + spear + Tyr worshipper = My character

10. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Hey, sometimes she would go to the frontiline too. I don't plan revealing she's a caster so soon (unless I get in a thight spot). To the world she's an incompetent spearwoman. ;x

Diversity brings fun to the game, you're seriously lacking a wizard to drop missiles on their own feet and such.

11. Ravana

Ravana Istar

Actually, I had the opposite reaction. It would take an 18 INT/WIS and character Level 7 just to zero the penalty out and leave you with a nice, comfy, 65% chance of facing runaway magic trying to cast a L1 spell when you're tapped out, along with a near-even chance of facing corruption. Depending on just how debilitating corruption is, this is gonna get you killed really fast.

To provide an example more likely to be encountered in the foreseeable future: A second-level mage with a 15 INT discovers, at some point, that he desperately needs to cast a particular second-level spell to save the party's bacon; sadly for him, he's down to two mana points at the time. His odds:

+1 (stat) +2 (level) -10 (insufficient mana) = -7.
    DC to cast spell: 12 (base) +2 (spell level) = 14.
    Best he can possibly roll after penalty: 13.
    Chance of success: 0%.
    Chance of runaway magic: 100%.
    Chance of facing save vs/corruption: 80%.

Which, presumably, is why casters don't go around trying to cast with insufficient mana… I'd certainly consider the above a good argument not to.

But, yes, you could get an "infinite mana" effect. Assuming you're trying to cast a L1 spell after you're tapped out, you could even do this at 1st level: with an 18 INT, you'd have a 10% chance of not bungling your Magic Missile. Plus, of course, the converse 90% chance of needing to save vs. runaway magic and a 70% chance of needing to save against corruption, but who's counting? :D

Besides, somewhere around the fourth or fifth time you shoot a friend in the back in combat, they'll make future concerns rhetorical for ya anyway, so really the corruption isn't much to worry about there.

By the way, this also means non-casters who have not designated the relevant ability as a Prime one can never cast a Level 3 spell with any mathematical chance of success whatsoever until they are at least eighth level, since those exceed their maximum possible mana and thus will always find them insufficient in that department (+3 stat, +8 character level, -10 insufficient mana, net +1, against a target of 21). I don't know if that was intended or not; just mentioning it.

Though, really, non-casters are never likely to work their way up to L3 spells anyway, given that they'll be piling up corruption nearly every time they blow even a simple spell. Which they'll do with astonishing frequency if they don't designate the correct Prime attribute, no matter how high it is, since their chances of success are at best only 30% for a L1 spell cast by a 1st-level character. With an 18 in the ability score: with a more-common 12 or lower in that score, they could only manage 15% at 1st level… and, presumably, have only the same chance of avoiding corruption when they fail—the stat for the save isn't specified, that I saw. (Plus guaranteed runaway magic, since they don't get to save against that bit.) Well, actually, not even that good, since they'll have a base mana of 0, so any spell for them will find them insufficient. Which means that they won't be able to use magic at all until they're at least 8th level, at which point they'll have a 5% chance of successfully casting a L0 spell.

Which I don't think was quite what was intended when all characters were given the ability to use magic, whether they're casters or not.

And since they also don't get to use Life energy, they aren't able to use the comparatively "safe" spells they're most likely to want to call upon—the ones to patch themselves up with after a fight.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  12. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Yes, yes, I am a fool, basically. Haha!

You see, I'm not used to C&C, I was assuming someone would be able to increase his attributes every X level, and adding possible bonus from buffs or artifacts negating the -10 penality would be a way easier than it actually is.

About non-casters being unable to cast... Hey, I want to be a caster and even I don't want to cast certain spells. When you got a d4 HP you won't take many chances with spells that deal d8 damage or more unless you want to play the kamikaze game. >3

I think it may be on purpose, right now all the system and world story were tinkered to discourage people from casting, being a caster or not. On the bright side wizards don't need to prepare spells - I'm not sure about the daily spells limit yet - but the general feeling is "So, do you want to use a spell? Fine, you're free to try... if you're ready to deal with the consequences.".

13. Ravana

Ravana Istar

Actually, the ability to increase attributes through leveling is a very recent feature in D&D (well, compared to its total history, at least); nor is it all that common in other games. Since C&C (with which I have no prior experience either) fairly transparently recreates 1st ed. AD&D, I kinda figured you couldn't. I would expect magic items which assist casting will show up over time… though don't be too surprised if they help only if you have sufficient mana not to go negative when you do cast a spell.

As for "daily spell limit": there is none, in an absolute sense. How much you can cast is limited by your mana. With a base mana between 6 and 9, plus the ability to regenerate another 24 mana per day per level, even a first level character could cast up to 16 L1 spells in a day, if he spaced them correctly… wouldn't even need to lose any sleep, if he ran himself down to zero first thing in the morning.

Of course, life for adventurers rarely falls into such convenient patterns.

Preparing spells makes them faster to release when you want to—considerably so, I imagine, or else the loss of flexibility isn't worth it. (Which, more likely, means that unprepared spells will be slower than you're accustomed to, rather than speeding up those which are. Although both could happen.) On these, there is a daily limit, though as far as I know it hasn't been specified yet.

Though if I might make a suggestion, Steerpike? Rather than have a limit on how many spells you can prep in a given day, have the limit be on how many spells you can have prepped at the same time. I'll PM you on the differences this could lead to, so that irrelevant details don't clutter and confuse.

Less pertinently (since this may have nothing to do with Steerpike's intentions): one of the systems I was fonder of in the old days was Runequest. Where everybody could use magic… and with at least potentially the same facility. While recreating this is clearly not the intent here, I thought something at least slightly closer to that might have been envisioned.

Though I suppose if he really wanted everybody to be able to cast spells, he'd've just given everybody access to the Orb. ;)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    Nihal likes this.
  14. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I'm fairly new to tabletop RPGs, I always had the curiosity but no one to play with. I think I've played my first one right before I ingressed on the college, about 5 years ago. I've played 2 systems only, D&D and GURPS - I know people usually hate it but I liked it best. It's really flexible, has a good focus on the roleplay part and well is suited for the kind of "cinematic" adventures we usually play. Anyway, I've played few campaigns and I think I don't see a D&D for a year at least. It's the first time I stumble on a tabletop system with fixed status, I've seen it more often on MMORPGs (I played a lot).

Enough of my rambling! I noticed too this difference between preparing spells per day and and having them already prepared. I guess it could be abused if you get too many peaceful days, I'm not sure to what extent yet (I'm not used to the campaigns's pace there), so, go for it Ravana.

15. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

16. tbgg

tbgg Sage

SP: could you add some more information about the saves against runaway magic and corruption...like what you have to roll to avoid those two effects?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Steerpike

@tbgg

The way the system is set up (which is subject to change as we go along depending on how it plays out, particularly at higher levels, but which will never change to make it harder for casters), is that you roll d20, add your appropriate ability modifier, and add your level.

So Thak, the level 2 caveman shaman with an Int modifier of +1, rolls a d20 and adds 3 to try to get spells off.

The rolls needs to meet or exceed 12 plus the spell's level. So if Thak is casting a level 1 spell he needs to roll a 13 to get the spell off. If he misses, he has to repeat the roll to try to stop any runaway magic. It's the exact same roll - d20+INT Mod+ level, and the result has to be 13 or more to avoid runaway magic.

If the initial spell check missed by 5 or more, Thak gets one point of corruption, unless he makes still another check and succeeds this time (as initially envisioned you always get at least one point of corruption in this scenario. If you're casting a spell more than one level higher than your caster level, the number of corruption points you get is equal to the spell's level minus your caster level).

I have a table for runaway magic and corruption, but they haven't been shared since magic is a great unknown, even to PCs that play with it. Runaway magic has immediate effects, corruption is more long-term. For example, a wizard with lots of corruption points might develop physical disfigurements.

Let's just say the worst runaway magic could potentially kill off the party as well as their enemies, but that's impossible until you get to higher level spells and much more likely if you have a low level wizard trying to cast a very high level spell--the runaway magic increases in severity as the caster misses the save roll by greater numbers. So if a level 1 wizard tries a level 9 spell and misses the runaway magic save by rolling a total of 5, the difference between what the wizard needed (21) and what he rolled (5) is 16 and you start to see some pretty nasty effects. A ninth level wizard trying to cast that same spell could, at worst, miss the roll by only 11, assuming they roll a 1 and have no INT modifier. The difference between missing a spell by 11 and by 16 is significant. If you miss the roll by 20 or more you're really in trouble.

Missing by 20 or more is more of an issue with non-casters. They don't get to add caster levels, and they don't get a save against runaway magic. A target roll even for a spell of, say, 4th level, could be 22, for example, as in the situation of a fighter trying to cast a level 4 spell (the baseline needed is 18, plus the level of the spell). Unless the fighter has an Int modifier of +3, she needs a natural 20 to get the spell off. If Int Mod=3, she'd still need a 19. If she misses there is automatic runaway magic based on how badly she missed. If she rolled a 1, for example, she'd have missed the roll by 19 to 21 points and all hell would break loose (fighter likely wouldn't live to tell the tale).

I have the natural 20 rule to keep it interesting. That means there is always a possibility for anyone to get any spell off. Once, at a table-top session, the entire party was down--dead or dying--except for the fighter, who managed to grab the wizard's spell book in a last ditch effort to keep the party alive. He tried to cast fireball. Amazingly, the guy rolled a natural 20 and the cheers that went up around the table were deafening.

The spell casting system is house-ruled based on some things my old table top group came up with in play, as well as some other gaming systems that use dangerous magic systems. It is open to input from players, because the playtesting has been limited, especially at high levels. For instance, initially even healing spells were subject to these same spell casting rules. It became apparent fairly quickly that this tilted the campaign too far to the dangerous side. Players who came in with backgrounds in something like Warhammer might roll with it, but people with D&D backgrounds didn't want characters dying left and right. So now healing-type spells don't require a check, the rationale being that the magic for those spells comes from a separate, uncorrupted source. Likewise, though no one is playing a dwarf, the dwarven rune magic comes from a different source (but is more difficult to use for specific effects, at least at first).

Magic being dangerous is a core part of the world lore (and tied to the party's quest), so it is important that it be there. However, playing casters needs to be fun and have rewards as the players move along.

I hope the above makes sense.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Ireth likes this.
  18. tbgg

tbgg Sage

That clarifies a lot, thanks SP! There are only a couple of things I'm still unclear on.
    1. Is corruption only possible when the initial spell check is missed by 5+?
    2. If the caster misses the initial spell check in such a way that corruption is possible but they make the save against runaway magic, do they still need to attempt a save against corruption, or is the save against runaway magic enough to block the corruption? In other words, are runaway magic and corruption two totally separate things whose only relationship is that they are linked to failed magic?

19. Steerpike

#1 yes.

#2 traditionally it has been two checks, but if there's no runaway magic one can argue against corruption so let's go with that. Helps casters a bit.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  20. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Awesome, thanks SP!