1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Rules Questions and Discussion

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

So, it's been hinted that Mauve might keep us safe when we have the opportunity to re-enter the music room. One question I have: once a resist is successful, there's no need to roll a check against the same exact attack, is there? I mean, like the fart cloud and the music just now: those who resisted don't have to re-roll checks. So would that still hold true if you exit and re-enter the fart cloud or music room? By which I mean, I wouldn't have to beat those 40-45% odds every time I throw someone out of the room then come back in?

Note to players confused by Baldy's lack of violence: Baldy would prefer to fight over playing bouncer, but if my suspicion is correct, she and Ankari (who said "Grab them!" unbeknownst to me, since I can only play by PM during the day) appear to be coincidentally on the same page—and for good reason. Will mention suspicion in-character/in-game (which may be wrong) and ask Aliron to confirm so Baldy can figure out whether she should use her sword or her strength… or she'll ask Ankari in-game if he defeats the "singer" before anyone else can get involved.

2. Ravana

Ravana Istar

Normally, that's the way it's going to work. It gets interpreted as one of a few possibilities:
    (1) That creature cannot affect you again with the same power for the remainder of that encounter.
    (2) That creature cannot affect you again with the same power for a day [or some other given non-trivial time period].
    (3) No attack of the same sort (i.e. the same power, from any creature of that species) can affect you for [time period].
    (4) That creature cannot affect you again until it gains a level.

I think (2) is the most commonly used one.

Note that its converse could possibly true as well: if someone had failed a save against that creature and power, it's possible he'd automatically fail against any new applications of that power, by that creature, for the remainder of that encounter.

I threw (4) in because, while it's rarely applied to the abilities of NPC enemies, it sometimes comes up in relation to what characters can affect, e.g. if a cleric fails to turn a vampire or ghost, he will always fail to turn that specific being until he becomes more powerful (levels up). This would have no effect on any attempts to turn any other undead, just that individual. I'm not sure this method is still used any more, but it used to be fairly common.

It's also possible that which of the above is the case will depend on what's being faced. For the most obvious example: making a saving throw against a dragon's breath the first time it breathes at you will have no effect whatsoever on your ability to save the second time it does–so in that case, none of the above would be true.

Which means you still need an official answer from Steerpike. ;)

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  3. Legendary Sidekick

Yeah… the dragon's breath I would expect a check for each breath. But since you've been right about a lot of aspects of this charm attack, I'm confident that one of your four is the case. (1 or 2 is my guess—I was thinking 1 before I saw your list. Which means I didn't call it "1" at the time.)

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

I usually go with #1 or #2, depending on the situation, and their converse rules.

Once you save against the song, this creature can't effect you with it. For those who have missed the save, if you get away from it and then come back to it, you'll be charmed again. If you've done something to render yourself immune to it (like puncturing your ear drums with an ice pick), then you've got nothing to worry about.

5. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I considered this possibility (using a quill or something similar hah) but ended deciding against it. xD

Steerpike likes this.
  6. Legendary Sidekick

You did the next best thing!

7. Nihal

Nihal Vala

It was fun to try. Let's see not only how effective it was but what she's going to learn from it. >3

8. Legendary Sidekick

I learned to wait an hour before posting.

Nihal likes this.
  9. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Hahahaha! Oh, c'mon, it wasn't so bad for Baldhart, she has a plenty of HP to spare!

10. Legendary Sidekick

Can't complain. We kicked the lizards' butts and Mauve set the new damage record.

Baldhart: 15
    Mauve: 24 (5 targets, including the two named in this post!)

Congrats!

11. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Whooo, ^that's true! Mauve, the kickass!

...not.

12. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Kick ass - Bing Images
    Not kick ass, Hit girl(shes te real super hero anyway.)

13. Legendary Sidekick

So… harpies! I was wondering, since I've been the victim to this from magic and almost archery… enemies use defense turns to attack. Could Baldhart do the same vs. the harpy? I mean, roll but it's sort of a "batter up" kind of thing—the obvious catch being that her attack only counts if she correctly anticipates the target will attack her?

14. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Unless your base movement is higher, or you have some special skill, or the person is encumbered, you can't just run past someone. =P

15. Steerpike

Hmmmm...not sure exactly what you're asking.

16. Legendary Sidekick

The harpy is not nearby; Baldy has nothing to attack. Instead, she eyes the harpy and attempts to swat it from flight as it swoops to her. Attack roll is vs. the enemy she anticipates will approach (on its attack turn). Can that be done?

Like when Baldy was under water, and lizards readied bows rather than fire. I assume, had Aqua-Mauve not scared them, Baldy would have caught three arrows as she emerged (on her attack turn).

17. Steerpike

Ah. Yes she can do that. It's called "readying" an action. "Readying" is a standard action, so as long as she doesn't exceed her normal movement speed or take any other standard action in a round, she can ready an attack. That's essentially what the lizards were doing when Baldhart and Mauve came out of the water.

18. Legendary Sidekick

They weren't "readying" for a petite, naked girl to emerge as a large, 64-toothed fish-demon.

19. Steerpike

True. They 'thought' they were readying :)

Nihal and Legendary Sidekick like this.
  20. Nihal

Nihal Vala

This fish Mauve talk just gave me an unrelated idea. ._.