1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Side Treks

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Nihal, Aug 28, 2013.

  1. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    ((This is the thread dedicated to action happening away from the main group.

    Because... stuff! Mods can edit this post later with a better description or the title if the "separated threads for each character" wins.))

    [HR][/HR]



    Somewhere in the forest
    ((Starting after #822.
    Solo participant: Mauve.))


    The trees bend and blur. I shake my head and glance at the ground below. No, I can't fall asleep here or I'll break my neck. I can't sleep on the ground either or they'll catch me. No matter what I must keep my mind busy and stay awake.

    Thoughts about my former companions threaten to overwhelm me. I don't want to think about them, it hurts. Fool. I pull my knees closer, trying to keep the merciless cold of the night at bay. It's useless, as soon I've stopped running my blood started to cool down. I wish I had my own cloak.

    Survival.

    Brood over their treason will do me no good, but discovering how to get out of this will.

    The morning will bring new dangers. I know where they should go next, I have one chance before the road forks. It's two days of journey, I still need food. How far can I go before collapsing? I can't remember the town name... Will I be able to find food while I don't catch them? I should... Wait—that's it!

    Where am I?
    Carefully getting to on feet, I turn, hugging the trunk before climbing higher on the tree, trying to get above the canopy. I need to locate myself and I need to know if I'm being hunted. Their lights will give them away, it's perfect!
     
    Steerpike likes this.
  2. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,105
    3,467
    413
    Somewhere in the Woods

    Mauve


    Something is happening in town. Voices cry out from within Arendal, and the men who had already all but given up their search for Ankari sprint across the short piece of open ground between the woods and the temple of Tyr and disappear into the town. What little moonlight exists is caught by the leaves and branches of the tall trees so that it the darkness is almost complete at the forest floor. Only the glow of lights from the small buildings of Arendal provide light.

    Ankari

    Remaining hidden in the darkened wood, Ankari too sees the men return to Arendal, and hears shouts for the militia to form up and gather the townspeople together. In the forest itself, there is no sound of either man or beast to be heard.
     
  3. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,105
    3,467
    413
    Somewhere West of Arendal

    Bressel and Burnbright

    The cold air off the ocean swirls around Bressel and Burnbright as they travel west, keeping near the cliffs. There is no sign of gnolls or goblins as the two carefully pick their path in the dim light. Burnbright travels with a frown on her face, her fingers wrapped around the hilt of the knife Mauve bought for her.

    "How are we ever going to find anyone in the dark?" she mutters.

    Aliron, Branwen, and Masama (Further West)


    Time passes uneventfully, and the warmth of the fire keeps everyone as comfortable as possible as the trio huddle in their cave. Eventually, Branwen crawls over to Aliron and curls up on the floor. She pulls her tunic down far enough to expose her wings, which she wraps around herself, giving the appearance of a feathered cloak. She is asleep within moments.

    Masama grins at Branwen, his white teeth shining against his dark features. Then he turns to Aliron. "Do you know of Asra? Now, in the dark, she makes her perilous journey east, across the land, to rise again and light the world in a few hours, with the warm light of her dawn. It is said that there are those who seek her out during her nighttime journey - evil forces who would prevent the coming of day. But Asra is too smart and too fast. She always rises again."

    "Do you follow any gods, Aliron? If you do not, I can tell you more of Asra, and perhaps you will come to follow her as I do. What better goddess to follow than she who provides warmth and light, no?"
     
  4. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    505
    113
    Aliron
    "I worship Agapanthus, God of Moon. She has been with me all my life, got me out of many situations I didn't think I would survive. Because of her I am a better shot with an arrow at night then even during the day."
    Aliron climbs up to stand watch. (actually my last post Aliron went up to hide and stand guard to watch for town lynch mob or group members.)


    Bressel and Burnbright
    "I am counting on Aliron finding us. When Aliron doesn't want to be found, one usually doesn't find that elf." He rests the large axe on his shoulder.

    [are we far enough away not to hear the noise in town? not sure of the time frame between us leaving and the noise.]
     
  5. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    Somewhere in the forest

    Is this commotion about me? Impossible, few men went after the ranger, even if that shrew told them about my magic they're being too noisy. Are those savages turning on who the others because I'm gone? Well deserved! I would love to watch them trying to get out of this mess without my help. Or, maybe, Sahuagin? Hah, I hope so, sweet retribution at last. Do you still want my weapons now you bastards?

    The chances that my equipment was left in the room I've slept are high; mayhap during a attack I would be able to sneak back and retrieve it. My spear is at the blacksmith shop, some of my writing material was with Baldhart, probably it'll be laying around inside the room too, maybe over one of the beds. I picture myself in the inn, going upstairs, entering the room. Last time the bed where Burnbright was—

    Crap, Burnbright and Branwen are still in there!

    I stretch my neck and squint my eyes, not only observing the town but attempting to see the ocean. If I can't determine the cause of the agitation from there I'll have no other choice than venture closer to the town. Today is a hateful day.
     
  6. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,105
    3,467
    413
    Aliron

    ((let's assume this wraps up the conversation, just before you go outside)).

    Masama is silent a moment, straight-faced. "I do not know Agapanthus. It is said that the moon goddess' minions seek out Asra at night, to stop her travels across the earth. If Asra does not rise, the moon will rule the sky. Perhaps we should not speak of this further."

    Bressel and Burnbright

    Just as you begin to pass out of earshot of Arendal, you hear a commotion from the town. Something is going on there, though you cannot say what. Turning back, you see the silhouettes of people dashing back and forth between buildings. The town does not appear to be under attack, however. Something else must have stirred them up.
     
  7. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,105
    3,467
    413
    Mauve

    The ocean tosses as it often does, and it is hard to see much from your vantage point. You do not see any creatures moving among the waves, however, and the sounds coming from Arendal do not give you the impression of battle. Something else is going on.
     
  8. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    505
    113
    Bressell
    "The news of the gnolls must be spreading." Bressel comments but continues on, glancing at Burnbright.
    "You plan to be a warrior? When walking in the woods, walk with confidence, nothing attracts scavenger beasts, human or otherwise, more then someone acting as if they will be the next meal. Be observant, watch for anything. You want to see them before they see you, if not possible, then make sure they think twice before they decide to challenge you." He says quietly.

    "You might notice Aliron doesn't walk as I do. He has improved, but he still uses stealth to avoid the scavengers. He is more confident in his ability with blade and bow, so he does walk with more confidence, but he wouldn't be able to pull off the strut of a warrior."

    "when I say walk with confidence, I don't mean arrogance, challenging, or being foolhearty. These challenge fools to disprove them, basically attracting trouble you wish to avoid." He adds as he continues to walk along.
     
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  9. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    505
    113
    Aliron
    before he leaves.
    I do not know your God." Aliron grabs the rope, hesitates looking back at the two,
    "In my line of work, the light of the moon is friend, but I do enjoy the light of the sun. Without the sun, ice and frost would rule, if the moon doesn't reign part of the day, the land would over heat and grow barren, I believe the sun and moon must work together or the world would die."
    Without further word, he swings out and climbs up.
     
  10. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    Somewhere in the forest

    The sound of my landing seems to be amplified in the night, making me cringe. I turn my head to one side and to the other, making sure no one or nothing is close to hear.

    If only I had those sandals I would be able to hide quickly if the need arises.

    Lifting my skirts, I start back to the town, each wary step bringing a new curse to my head. Every bush could be concealing an enemy. I search the forest while I walk, more worried about hidden foes than tripping in the darkness. Darkness, it's a blessing, a welcome mantle to protect me from my hunters.

    Upon reaching the edge of the forest I stay low, attempting to determine the reason behind the commotion. If it can't be done from my location I climb another tree to get a better view.
     
  11. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,601
    853
    113
    The militiamen return to the town with the bent backs of curs afraid the coming of the next kick. Mauve surprises me with her woodsmen skills vaguely reminiscent of my own and more than enough to confound her pursuers. When she slides back down the tree, I give her a head start to judge her intention, then follow.

    ((Move Silently in pursuit of Mauve))

    [​IMG]

    When I get within arm's length, I whisper to her. "Mauve. What do you intend?"
     
  12. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    [​IMG]

    My body shudders as if I was just afflicted by one of my own spells. Bewildered, I stare at the ranger for some seconds.

    Remembering I should answer him, I timidly shake my head. "Something is happening, I do not know what, it is no battle. I need... we? We need to discover what it is and get the children out of this place. It will be hard to get Burnbright to follow us. I also need my backpack, I have no weapons, no food."

    Hesitating, I add, "I thought you would be far away now."


    ((Ankari might have not taken a good look at her eye until now. He wasn't there when she showed it and explained her situation.))
     
  13. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,601
    853
    113
    "I thought so, too. Unlike the priest I killed, I know the true meaning of honor." I work my mouth around what I intend to say next. "Thank you, Mauve. You have earned my gratitude."

    I fix my gaze on the village ahead, careful to not focus on the injury to her eye. People can be vain about their image, as if value resides on the skin. If that were true, the first stiff wind would blow the worth of man into the trees and oceans, never to be recovered again.

    "The night nourishes the fear of men, giving it roots and branches that block the light of their courage. If I am not mistaken, they fear an attack. Let us work together and save our confused companions from the trappings of their frailty."
     
  14. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    "Oh, acknowledgment? Coming from you it's scarier than death threats." My voice is light, but my face barely moves, much less smiles. I fall silent, thinking.

    "This agitation could be a measure to deal with us and our terrible allies from the dark lands—or so they think." I bite my lower lip in anticipation to what comes next. "To the hell with our companions. They left me to their fires, they could deal with their own friggin problems for a change."
     
  15. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,601
    853
    113
    "They could, but you know they would fail. They hold to faiths that limit them, to ideals that blind them." I blow warm air into my hands and massage the feeling back into my fingers. Tonight promises to be merciless. "We cannot blame the ignorant for the crime of their ignorance. But it is our duty to shatter the fallacy of their world, burden them with the weight of awareness. Besides, Catli is my major concern. Our companions cannot dirty their hands when it is needed. She is vulnerable with them."
     
  16. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    "It was not for lack of warning, ranger. They ignored my warnings so they would be spared from coping with the truth, from feeling guilty after stubbornly making a mistake. It's easier when you 'didn't know'. Pathetic."

    Groaning I stand straight, turn away and risk some steps into the forest. I rub my face, breathing heavily. It stings, scratched during my dash through the wood. I turn back to him. "The likely scenario: They will be too angry to hear us. The elf is afraid, he doesn't want to take the blame, and Baldhart swore an oath to the shrew she just met. I made a terrible mistake before, believing they would at least keep quiet. We can not repeat it.

    "It's worse than that." I return to his side. "Any plan requires approaching them. I must be honest with you: I do not have enough energy to risk more than one, two lesser spells before losing any control I may have. I am not nearly skilled as you when it comes to walk the shadows, my company will decrease your chances of success."

    I lower my eyes. "...oh, unless... A whisper. They must be on my sight and close enough to that work. In my current state I will be sacrificing any offensive enchantment to whisper like I did with you. We can ask for a meeting in the forest." I raise my eyes, awaiting his response before elaborating the plan any further.
     
  17. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,601
    853
    113
    "There is death riding the winds tonight. They did not pursue us because they fear a greater threat. With the gnolls surrounding Srilikind, it's not too much of a stretch to think these people have information of an impending attack." I survey either side of the village, using the action to delay my words. "We should circuit the village, see if we can determine any of their intention. Since we are on this side already, let's make our way to the docks before circling west."
     
  18. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    "It is a possibility, although I expected them by the morning." I nod. "Aye, we need to know, we can not afford to be caught by surprise between these two forces."

    Without leaving the edge of the wood I start towards the sea. Good, I'll be able to say if some fish is about to crawl out the water this night. Yet, how would I convince the ranger to not act?

    Not attacking me doesn't mean he's suddenly on my side. He threatened me once, talked about tying me and leaving me to be burnt by savages just like these people. The hair on the back of my neck stand up at the new suspicion. I do not forget.

    "Elf..." I glance at him. "Why? You are not fond of the little harpy. For all I know you despise anyone and anything that gets in your way, weakness displays included."
     
  19. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,601
    853
    113
    "I do not hide my reluctance to accept new members into our group, but once accepted I will defend anyone to the last. It is a trait picked up from the packs roaming the wild. Strength in number, bound together by trust." Despite the biting cold, I smile. "it also helped that I turned the priest's own argument on its head. I committed myself to only do as he would advice if I were in his role. He didn't like the outcome."

    To pass the time, I recount the events leading up to the priest's death. "Tell me if I have erred I enacting his advice."
     
    Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  20. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    I cannot hold the incredulous "Hah?" at the ranger's claims of loyalty and trust, but I manage to bite back the retort that would throw him into another fit. In his precious group I was rather a tool than an equal. I still am. It's hard to follow the distorted image he now paints of himself, yet, to placate the deranged elf I should reassure him.

    "Yes, you have erred."

    What would change if I did it? As soon as the group is reunited he won't be forced to hide contempt he feels for me. Never before he exchanged words with me without accusing me, if not attacking; it's my only chance to be heard.

    "The attack was unnecessary. You endangered us, including Burnbright, by creating a new foe when the odds are already against us. You do not trust, you rather act on your own, no matter what consequences your actions will bring. We were to take the girl to safety before the pig had a chance to sink his claws on her." My dress gets caught on something, reminding me to lift my skirts while walking.

    "No matter how badly I wished the man dead he was not worth the risk. If I had the opportunity I would have exacted retribution, but if that meant putting everything we bled for at stake, I would not. You should have not done what you did in the way you did."
     
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    Legendary Sidekick likes this.
Loading...

Share This Page