1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Side Treks

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Nihal, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Watching the docks

"Uh... And there they go. Ranger, decide if you will contact her yourself or if I should try to whisper something to the oathbreaker. If you do not, I will do the things my way."

((Question: What's the distance between them?))

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

((Between Mauve and the group in Arendal? You can get to within 30 or 40 feet if you're careful, and not be spotted. It's a pretty dark night)).

The situation in Arendal is the same. Patrols, and movement between the inn and the docks. At one point, you see Gisla break off in her talks with Baldhart and Grim. She is heading toward the temple, which means she will pass fairly close by both of you.

3. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Watching the docks

The hateful woman moves to the temple. I hide behind a tree and watch her, hoping that her arse still hurts. I should have kicked her in the teeth, why didn't I think of it at that time?

After she's out of sight I throw a last glance at the ranger. "Fine, then." I sneak towards the docks, getting only close enough to use a message spell. As soon Baldhart reappears I point at her and whisper.

[​IMG]

4. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Somewhere in the forest

((I'm hijacking Baldhart to this thread! Related to #903.))

Baldhart coming or not, I don't linger near the town to discover. Moving back to the shadows of the trees, I whisper to the ranger, "Hide, she can not be trusted," before seeking a refuge myself and turning to watch her. Climbing a tree, unfortunately, is not an option. I have no idea of where the oathbreaker will enter the wood.

5. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

What is a man who fears? What is a wolf who cowers? Are they not curs, one in the same? Gisla approaches and I feel the need to howl a challenge, a need to bear my teeth and rend the flesh from her throat.

But Mauve's words are still fresh and tame the wild need to hunt. By her angle and focus, she is headed towards the temple. I move to intercept her at the temple.

[​IMG]

We cannot keep the party divided. A broken pack is a dead one. I consider my words as I approach.

6. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Somewhere in the forest

((I'm not sure of what is going on above, I only know Mauve wouldn't let him slip past her. She would also notice if he suddenly disappeared, since she's interacting with him all the time. I'll consider he's doing this as she returns to the woods.

If she can see him: ))

"Here, little wolf." My hand flies forward as I attempt to catch him. "The barbarian is already on her way, and with her are our answers. I need you here, out of trouble and helping in case she turns violent. Hide and wait for her." I give him a little push in the forest's direction.

[​IMG]
    ((Holy...!))

((If she cannot see him: ))

The ranger is missing. "Ankari?" I whisper, looking for him nervously. "Where are you? Dammit, I need you here." I raise my voice a bit, talking to the darkness around me, "Ankari, see what I said about trust? It is impossible to trust someone who just leaves when people most need them! Oh, damn you!"

7. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

((Not that it's my call to make, but I believe if Mauve's observing Ankari, move-slilent—or hide for that matter—wouldn't allow him to get away unnoticed. So I'm assuming the DEX check happens unless SP says otherwise. And… wow! Nihal rolls 20s when she needs 'em!))

I approach Mauve. She's not hard to find, but… Cadell is. At least for me. In a twisted way, Mauve did the right thing saving Ankari. He should've saved himself, but with Mauve having saved him, maybe she's trying to keep us together. Or maybe I'm being lured into a trap. Only Gisla's battle-savvy enough to see it wasn't an act—I'd have impaled Ankari true to my oath. They don't know it was a bystander in my way that stopped my attack… do they? I'm glad I didn't skewer him anyway. His treachery and murder don't change that I'd have a hard time dealing with it if I killed him.

"I know you did what you had to for Ankari, and I did what I had to for the party, Mauve. I don't know why you called me here, but I'm glad you did.

"If it's okay with you, I'd rather not dwell on the events that led us here. Something urgent's come up, and…" I take out my letter and drawing, but remember who called this meeting. "Well…" I keep the papers in my hands for now. "First thing's first. You called me here. Why?"

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

((Mauve and Baldhart should assume, at least for the moment, that Ankari is there. Mauve grabbed him with that DEX check, and he hasn't tried to pull away. If he wants to force himself away in order to intercept Gisla, there is time to do that even with Mauve's grab. Or he may change his mind. The three of you can RP that until someone interacts with an NPC or events force an action)).

Aliron & Bressel

The two of you make it back to Arendal in due time, the back of the Maiden's Spear and the dim shapes of other squat buildings in town slowly coming into view in the dark of night. The town is quieter than when you left. Men patrol the streets in pairs with torches, but they aren't saying a lot. There is light coming from the area of the docks far below as well, and you see movement near one of the boats.

Whatever is going on, the character of Arendal has changed dramatically since you last saw it. There is no sign of villagers, apart from the two-man patrols.

9. Legendary Sidekick

Oh…! As I stepp closer, I see Mauve has her hand on Ankari's…

"Um… it's okay, Ankari, Mauve. I'm here to talk, and in fact I could use your skills."

I know I meant to let Mauve speak first, but I think Ankari will be more interested in sticking around if I say this.

"Cadell's gone soft. I was working on something and Gisla and Grim are in on it, as well as our group—except for the lovebirds. Cadell deceived us, and went to meet the gnolls. He intends to make peace with them! Do you know how many will die when they find out Burnbright's already in hiding?"

I hope I can trust them. I hope they can trust me.

((If Ankari tries to run off, I add,

"Wait! Please! I do want you to follow him, but not without my message to the gnolls…"

[​IMG]
    ))

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  10. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Before the ranger can be dragged back to the forest the barbarian's voice sounds at my back, bursting in an endless stream of talk. Not apologies. She doesn't even try. It takes nearly all my self control to not retort at her, to make absolutely clear I did not call her to chat, nor to ask for forgiveness.

'You called me here', how petulant one needs to be to say that?

"Bloody ranger." I switch the hand holding the ranger and turn away from the wood, facing the town and the barbarian. "Enough! Tell me if the children are safe, where–" Please, not at the cells! "–and where are the gnolls. If they are to attack why aren't they surrounding the town already? And I want my belongings back, including my spear, ready or not ready."

11. Legendary Sidekick

Her cold tone. I may be wasting my time here.

"Mauve, I really want to patch things up and explain. My vow is to support you–but it comes with a condition–you saw me write it: if supporting you means failing my goddess, I will not. I did what I could for you–I spoke to Gisla and Hrolfr the elder in your defense, and because Gisla trusts me, I got her to call off the hunt for you when you escaped. The whole militia would have been after you if I hadn't intervened. Maybe you don't appreciate that I didn't do more, but I lose Nissa–everything–if I fail my goddess.

"I'm sorry if that's not good enough for you. I'm even grateful for what you've done. I may not agree with it, but I get it."

Is that what she wants? She better cut the crap. Cadell's making a huge mess, and if Mauve wants my help she better stop wasting my time.

"As for the gnolls, Cadell is going to try to become allies with them–like we'll all march together to Aslaug as one happy family. I hope I misunderstood him, but I know he's trying to make peace. I have a different idea about how to end a peace talk.

"If you and Ankari can track Cadell, you'll find the gnolls. If you can give them my message–the gnolls, I mean–they won't go into Arendal if they're willing to meet me. If they go into Arendal at all, you can forget your spear and everything else.

"Will you help me?"

12. Nihal

Nihal Vala

It was taking too long for her to spew her excuses and ease the guilty that must have been crushing her. That's how the world works to them: You do something evil then claim ignorance or lack of options. Poor little thing, she had no option except, maybe, not abandon me when I most needed her, dazzled by the town like a little girl, perhaps keep from swearing stupid oaths to the wrong people and jeopardizing me in first place?

With my best blank face I endure her voice—oh, that frigging voice, pounding at my ears and becoming more annoying at each word.

"How considerate of you. Now, answer my questions."

13. Legendary Sidekick

"The children are hidden—I don't know where." Of course! The place Hrolfr wouldn't let me… "But you do—you were there. As for the gnolls, I told you Cadell is headed right to 'em.

"If he tries to make peace when them, I see one of two things happening: one - either they become emboldened and march straight into Arendal and the militia attacks them and a bunch of people get killed, or two - they see his sincerity and go to the outskirts and await the handover. Then when Burnbright isn't handed over, they attack Arendal. A bunch of people get killed.

"Now answer my question. Are you two going to track Cadell and deliver my letter, or not?"

14. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"What–how? No. Why. Why did you send the girls to these people? Any good sense coming from you would be too much to hope for." I crush a handful of my dress in my free hand. "To the hell with this cursed town, you will discover where Burnbright and Branwen are and you will bring them to safety. They come first! You will also bring my belongings to me, or you would better hand me back to those savages to be executed, the result would be the same of abandoning me here, unarmed and unprepared."

15. Legendary Sidekick

"What are you even talking about? The girls our with our own people. I'm not bringing girls to the gnolls either. I'm bringing death."

She won't help. To stay here is failure.

"You know what, you're too angry to reason with and I don't have time for this. Good bye, Mauve."

I turn my back, but pause to give a warning. Maybe the last time I help her.

"Stay out of Arendal or any other human village in the north. For your safety. Another thing, if you hear me call Gisla, it's not about you, so don't stab me in the back. You've done that enough."

I walk away.

16. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"What are you talking about? Have you gone deaf as well? Do you expect me to know what happened since I was locked to wait to be burnt or when I ran for my life?" I finally let Ankari go and follow her. "Where are you going? Damn you! Yes, walk away, leave me in the cold wilderness, hunted and unarmed to starve to death. Thank you, Baldhart."

I stop and curse.

17. Legendary Sidekick

I turn.

"That's right, you don't know. I think this is the first time I've heard you admit you don't know everything. You obviously don't trust that I have something sensible in mind for the gnolls, despite that the last two times Nissa and I put something together, everything worked perfectly. You never listen to me, then you goof things up and blame me for not following along. The 'ranger disguised as a warlock' made a dark globe appear around you? Some advice: don't try deception tactics. I'm the only fool who believes your lies. You call me a 'good liar,' but I don't lie to friends, allies, villagers—only those I'd just as soon stick a sword in. But you don't bother to try and understand me and think things like, maybe earning Gisla's trust was the only reason our whole party wasn't run out of town. No! You just think it's the big dumb barbarian high on war-paint fumes. You don't care. You have no interest in helping me now, which means Burnbright remains in danger if I stay here and engage in a pointless conversation. And how dare you play the damsel in distress bit on me! You've got Ankari here—you're in no danger of starvation. I called off the hunt for you—you're welcome—so, no, you're not hunted. Blame yourself if you stay fifty feet from the border and get caught.

"I really do want to help you despite that you obviously despise me, but Burnbright is my priority now. She actually is being hunted—by an army. If we simply flee, they'll destroy this place and follow us again. Maybe you at least care about the part where they follow us again. If they come to meet me at sea, Nissa takes care of them. If not, at least they know Burnbright's not in Arendal. Either way, I haven't failed any innocents.

"You want my help? You help me. If you're not interested, stop wasting my time. I can get Gisla to track Cadell, so I really don't need you as much as you need me. I only came because I wanted…"

What? More abuse from your supposed friend?

"…you to be a part of this.

"I hoped when you called me here, you wanted to help. Do you? One word, Mauve. 'Yes' or 'no.'"

Even if she agrees to help, Baldy, will you believe her?

18. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I just stand here, my breath caught on my throat while I hear all the absurdities and accusations the hilding throws at me. My face is hot–hotter than it has been in hours–, making me feel glad again this place is so dark.

I cannot lose my temper. It's an enemy I am facing, you don't reveal your strengths and weaknesses to an enemy.

"Whose mistake I was trying to fix by putting myself at danger, tell me. Who is the bastard who forgets their loyalty, their duties and switch sides at the first day at the first town they come by? Who sent Burnbright back to the town despite my warnings? Who kept claiming she would protect her and did not even bother about her during fights, who wasn't wounded protecting her after monsters crept upon us exactly as I warned? You didn't even buy provisions for the children–they are not toys you can put aside and forget! What kind of pig abandons their 'friends' to side bloodthirst ignorants?

"You used me and discarded me. You dare to turn your back on me now I have no use to you. You are a liar! Oh, wait, I was never a friend. That explains a lot. You deceived me–" I clench my teeth, feeling something too close to a pang in my stomach. What good will come of getting this emotional? I cannot break down in front of the ranger or he'll abandon me to my luck sooner than the expected. The dumb savage really thinks we simply became best friends, that he'll help me, protect me when I'm too tired to fight and provide food. Stupid savage!

I, myself, will have to sneak to the town and recover everything if I want to survive. It's not over. I'll have to discover where the girls were taken; not in Arendal, if what she said is true. Not yet, I cannot rest.

"Go to hell, oathbreaker, betrayer. I hope you die screaming."

19. Legendary Sidekick

She dares accuse me of using her after calling me over here just to get her stuff? Well… she baited me into an argument. I guess I meant to give her another chance, but I blew it before she did.

I glare at Ankari.

"You didn't just kill a man today. You killed a friendship."

[Intimidate]

"Don't follow me."

I turn my back, and imagine arrows and the sound blast spell tearing at my back. In Mauve's fantasy, I'm screaming. In mine, wings sprout from the wounds.

20. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I laugh. "Yes, I am so evil for wishing death to a man who has pleasure in burning women and little girls alive." She glares at the elf before heading back to the town, making my hair stand up. I whisper in a broken voice, "Have fun."

Glancing at Ankari I inform him, "I will wait a bit and recover myself my things, then I will look for the girls. They are not in the town." Why do I bother to explain myself to him? It's hopeless. Everything.