1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Side Treks

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Nihal, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Liadan

You're not having as easy a time following the tracks as you'd like, but if you take it slowly you are able to get the general direction down, sometimes straying as the path moves over harder ground and ice and having to make your way back to it.

((If Nihal wants to make an opposing move silently check (Dex) she can. Going to be hard to beat Liadan's roll)).

Ireth likes this.
  2. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Woods

The dark shape ahead threads her way in the dark forest, following an invisible trail in the graceful way that only elves can be. Stupid tall, thin things.

I don't keep a great distance between us, only enough to not be seen, and most importantly, heard. If I lose her I will lose the way to the gnolls and the elves–after hearing pieces of their conversation only it could be what she's seeking. I can imagine what she and her weak lover intend to do with Ankari. Oh, they'll have a great surprise.

[​IMG]

3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Líadan

Someone approaches me from behind; I turn around, my hand tightening on my bow. Should I reach for an arrow?

"Come forward and identify yourself."

4. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"Would you be so kind as speak a little louder? Perhaps the gnolls did not hear you yet," I reveal myself with a mischievous smile in my lips.

5. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Liadan

I frown as Mauve emerges from the shadows, but do not respond to her mockery. It isn't the gnolls I'm worried about. I keep my voice down to a murmur. "Kindly stop following me. If it's your belongings you want, I left them back at the inn, untouched."

I return to the trail, even more anxious and irritated than before.

[​IMG]

Aha, the marks are clearer here. I quicken my pace as much as I can, hoping to move silently enough to not alert Ankari, wherever he may be.

((Not sure if I'm allowed to roll that check this turn. If not I'll save it for next.))

6. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"It is a true wonder of the nature how you are able to track anything at all being this 'attentive'," I whisper back with a sneer and I raise my spear, making sure she sees it. "Unless you believe they would be gentle and return my spear upon my request, while, you know, I was escaping."

I keep following the elf.

7. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

A horse. The fallen knight brings a horse in the forest. At night. In his vain need to grasp the symbols of his previous life, he risks the life of an animal. The arrogance of civilized men. No matter. If the horse twists an ankle, or worse, the one-handed fallen knight can plead to his fabricated lord for his horse to mend and walk.

Would that the horse could talk and curse the fallen knight his indifference.

I move through the woods in a direct path to the horse noise. The time has come to cease the game of shadows and stealth. When I spot the animal, and ascertain Cadell as the rider, I step in his path. "I would have you tell me of your dealings with the enemy."

8. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Liadan

I ignore Mauve's continued mockery, focusing on the path ahead of me. If she brings danger down on us with her incessant chatter, it is only her own fault. But why is she following me at all? What does she want? Is she after Cadell too? Baldhart may have sent her as a precaution. Is anyone trustworthy anymore?

Cadell

I let out my breath in a hiss as Ankari moves into my path, and reluctantly rein Llucheden in. I look down at the traitor, my eyes narrowed. "Did someone send you after me, or did you come of your own free will?"

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  9. Ankari

"Fear is a strange thing, Cadell. We fear that which cannot be ignored. Death? Sorrow? Pain? They are aspects of every mortals' life, plainly standing before us. We choose to avert our eyes and shut our ears, to ignore that which cannot be ignored. Is it a wonder, then, when events befall the oblivious to remind them?"

I step closer so that he can see my eyes. "You were once a knight, lost in your innocence. You imagined a pure world, where a man and a woman could love one another until their last shuddering breaths, in peace and happiness. Then you were sent away and mourn the distance that separates you, the shattering of a fragile hope. Even you, in your sincere mind, knew the world to be a harsh place. You just hoped the ugliness remained beyond your nation, something avoidable.

"But here we are, in the frozen north standing in the dark talking about deceit, death, and war. You bear the scars of your apathy plain on your body and mind. Would you have stayed home and enjoyed the companionship of your lover. But you accept the calling, a duty, to fight the taint that afflicts these people, that will afflict our homes in the south, and put an end to it."

I pause a moment to give him a moment to process my words, and allow me to listen for an intruder or threat.

[​IMG]

"I have heard soldiers speak of the liberation of duty. Assess the task, find it in harmony with your soul, and see to its completion. There will be grit and dirt along the creases of your hands. Knicks and scars will accumulate like tokens of sacrifice, and each blow we deal with push us closer to that dark, cold place all hunters possess. It is the hope of the duty, the symbol of the task, that keeps us human.

"Catli is threatened. She is my hope. She will live. The taint, and all of it's threats, will die against the edge of my axe and the tip of my arrows. Let us not play games, or mince words."

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I narrow my eyes. "You are the one mincing words. You haven't answered me. Who sent you here?"

11. Ankari

"I have said it plainly, though you chose not to listen. I have come of my own will, to protect one of my own."

12. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Mauve and Líadan

I simply shrug and keep following the elf, hoping she is a better tracker than observer. I don't bother to hide from her eyes now, only from other foes' eyes.

13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

"You buried your answer in ramblings." I narrow my eyes, watching him with suspicion. "What passed between me and the gnolls is something I would rather report to the company, or at least what remains of it, myself. Kindly remove yourself from my path, if you please. You are holding up both my business and your own by standing here talking."

14. Ankari

"The village hinges on what passed between you and the gnolls, and my intentions. If they conflict, it spells a dire fate for those you think you're protecting. I cannot stop what you will do, but neither can you stop what I will do. It is best that you answer my question in the hope that I am swayed to compliance with your plans."

15. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I resist the urge to grind my teeth. "I have requested of the gnolls that they retreat from this place without harming either Catli or the people of Arendal. Their leader agreed to consult with Aslaug tomorrow, but he could not promise that she would refrain from attacking the town regardless. He did say with certainty that the gnolls would pursue Catli wherever she goes. On that note I told them that I would not betray Catli or surrender her to them, nor would I fight on the gnolls' side if both they and we -- 'we' being the company and the folk of Arendal -- chose to do battle.

"Now, will you stand aside and let me pass, please?"

16. Ankari

I step aside. "By what you state, they will not show mercy. Our choices would be to run like the dogs that they are, or fight like the men that we aspire to become."

The muscles in my neck and shoulders relax. No fallen knight blood will be spilled tonight. "I'm confused by your constant need to avoid conflict and violence. You were a knight! You'll have to tell me how a pacifist accumulated instruments of death and war. For now, I will seek out the gnolls. You may find this as a surprise, but I'm glad that you have drawn a line in regards to Catli. It means you are just like me, albeit softer of tone.

"As a token of my gratitude, I'll share something with you. Baldhart thinks you have lost your mind. I did too, until now. A bit of advice for you, although you will not have it. Dwell less on the eternal need for harmony, and more on succeeding in this quest. The two are not the same."

I glance at the fresh horse tracks, eager to follow them back to the gnolls.

17. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

Ankari relaxes, but I stay tense. I still don't know what to make of this. I am not like him -- I am no murderer.

"Why do you seek the gnolls? To lure them into Baldhart's trap?"

I knew it; I knew something was off here. She must have sent him. Why would she trust him over me? Is she the one who has lost her mind, and just denies it?

"I ask you not to go, for all our sakes. The gnoll leader deemed me honorable for my readiness to parley with him in peace; I would not have you misrepresent our race by damaging that honor. My honor. I may not be a knight any longer, but I still have that." It may be all I have, except for love.

18. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

{should have known the kid wouldn't understand.}
    "I hope it is not a listening device or if it is, they aren't listening now." I shake my head. "Baldhart believes it allows your mother to find you. If possible, we will return it too you, if we are wrong."
    "Oh, good job on exploiting the distraction, remember that when fighting. They will use every distraction against you."

"Masama, the group is divided. I do not trust that they will not try to appease the gnolls by giving them Burnbright. So only I and Bressel know this location. We have lied and told the group that only I know this location. If I do not return, or Bressel, trust the others reluctantly. If no one comes go far from here, take them and keep them safe."

19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Líadan

I keep my eyes and ears open as I move ahead. Mauve still follows me like a shadow, much to my irritation. What does she want?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The darkness still confounds my eyes, but my ears are as sharp as ever. I keep quiet, listening intently.

20. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Aliron

Burnbright reluctantly hands the necklace over. "Maybe we can fix it. Maybe Mauve can...I don't know...do some magic on it or something."

Masama bows slight when Aliron is finished. "I will do as you ask. If none of you return to this cave by two mornings from now, I will head west. My plan will be to make for the port of Alfoss, and from there i will wait one week and then take a ship to Mittelstadt. Getting this girl out of the northland is the best thing I can do for her if the party is lost."

With the talk of the party being lost and having to flee with Masama, Burnbright looks increasingly distressed.

((Cadell, Ankari, Liadan, and Mauve can continue to role play. Ankari and Cadell should have a little more time to talk before Liadan and Mauve come upon them)).

Ireth likes this.