1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Side Treks

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Nihal, Aug 28, 2013.

  1. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,094
    1,468
    313
    ((Nah, let him avoid them. He might just get irritable if he meets Ankari again (deja vu, much?), and it would only serve as a delay in his trip back to Arendal. Time is of the essence, ya know. ^^))

    Cadell

    The sounds of our enemies on the move grows louder and closer by the second. I clutch harder at the reins, my heart thumping in my ears. Can I reach the village in time to warn everyone, without them thinking I've betrayed them and led the enemy right up to their doorstep? Then again, that IS what Baldhart wanted, isn't it? I'm not even sure anymore.
     
  2. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,601
    853
    113
    The howl pierced the stasis of this everlasting night. Rushing to meet Ghendra, I come across the gnoll force marching towards Arendal. Has the dog's word spoiled?

    The frenzied wargs lope with the determination of the hunt. I cannot deny the obvious signs of this army's intent. Perhaps Baldhart was right. Perhaps the skin a man wears marks him a beast.

    I cannot accept that reasoning. Reaching into my tunic, I pull Gefjon's symbol out and clutch it until it draws droplets of blood. Gefjon, you will take responsibility for your creation. Aslaug manipulates these fools as surely as you manipulated her. After I kill her, you will be next.

    Scars and sacrifice.

    I stand and move into the open. Running to keep abreast of Ghendra, I shout his name until I'm noticed. "You run to your death!" I will kill you at it's end. "What of your word?" If you have broken it, I will cut your tongue from your broken jaw and plant it up your ass so you can taste the value of your words. "Stop now!"

    Perhaps Baldhart was right, but I'll give this dog one final word. One. Final. Chance.
     
  3. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,105
    3,467
    413
    Ghendra notices Ankari almost immediately, as do his warriors, whose hands move toward their weapons when the elf appears. Ghendra makes a motion, and they do not draw. A loud whistle from Ghendra drowns out the other noises and the entire force moves to a halt within a few steps.

    Ghendra turns to look at Ankari. "I have not forgotten my word. Did you not hear the howl? It came from the direction of the village. I have been told the child Catli is no longer there, but if she is, then she may be in danger. Aslaug wishes to see her daughter returned alive. If there is an attack on the village..." The gnoll trails off meaningfully and waits for Ankari's reply.
     
  4. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,601
    853
    113
    His words punch me in the gut. Simple things become complex. I focus on keeping my legs ahead of me and moving. Stumbling now would only make me more a fool than I feel. "This is good. I'll run with you."
     
  5. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,105
    3,467
    413
    Ghendra bares his teeth in an expression you have seen before, and which may be a smile. "I keep my word to you, and to that other elf. We will attack none who do not attack us. Now, if the child is threatened, let us hunt!" He barks out a command the force is underway again, this time running with Ankari.
     
  6. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    Is it the time? ...yes, it is.

    I let my body slip ahead, my feet hanging in the air. "So, I suppose you are ready to face a mob of angry peasants." I let go, dropping on the ground.

    [​IMG]
    ((Hopefully given the CL it was not a miss and she can nonchalantly show off.))

    Undisturbed by the ugly faces ((unless they attack her...)) I make a little bow before continuing, "Because running like this they are likely to turn from their current targets to you, Ghendra. If no large scale battle is happening upon our arrival would you be so kind as let us scout ahead to determine the nature of the danger?

    "I shall run with you, if you do not mind." I tuck some hair behind my ear and smirk.
     
  7. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,105
    3,467
    413
    Ghendra motions for his group to stop again, eyesbrows rising as Mauve drops down out of the trees. He gives a hard look to his goblin scouts, who look away.

    "Wolves and wargs are well-known to us. We know their habits and their ways. That howl was one of battle. Something is happening." He takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. "We will stop short of the village and send scouts. The child is our only concern. If no battle rages within the village, we will wait as agreed. If there is a battle, we will seek out the child and protect her if she is there. We will attack no humans who do not attack us first!"

    And the group is underway again, now with both Mauve and Ankari numbered among its ranks.
     
  8. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,094
    1,468
    313
    Cadell

    The heavy tramping of approaching gnolls seems to have stopped, but I don't dare slow down or turn back to see why. I have to take advantage of every moment I get to reach the village before they do.

    And just like that, they are on the move again. I sigh and shake my head. I suppose it was too good to last for long.
     
  9. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    Mauve and Ankari

    "Yet, unfortunately, you expect too much from these villagers. Rushing into battle with your full force–" I breath. "–will frighten them, pushing the fools to flee or fight. Keep this in mind. I advise to only engage in battle if truly necessary, not because you saw one happening."
     
  10. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,105
    3,467
    413
    Cadell

    The sky is lightening as Cadell draws within sight of the village. He hears the noise of fighting in the distance, from the direction of the sea cliffs, but it is not immediately apparent what is the matter. He sees only two of Arendal's militia men standing on the platform that leads to the sea staircase, both men looking at something down below and gesturing frantically.

    Ankari & Mauve

    Ghendra nods his agreement to Mauve, and the group continues to run through the forest. The wargs remain in front for the time being, with the gnolls following on foot.

    ((We'll move Ankari and Mauve ahead as well, but they're a little behind Cadell so they don't arrive just yet. Next round they will be at the place where the gnolls will stop and let them scout ahead)).
     
  11. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,094
    1,468
    313
    Cadell

    The sounds of battle reach me as the village draws into my sight. I urge Llucheden onward, leaning over the saddle to see ahead. Two of Arendal's militia men stand near the docks, gesturing frantically at something below.

    "You there!" I shout to them as I approach, hoping they can hear me. "What's happening?"
     
  12. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,105
    3,467
    413
    As Cadell draws nearer he catches a glimpse of Aliron between a couple of buildings, bow trained on the ocean below. One of the militia men turns as Cadell calls out, yelling "Demons from the deep! They've come ta carry us all down to a watery grave!" The man looks near panic-stricken.

    From behind, Cadell hears the sound of additional militia men making their way toward the cliffs.
     
  13. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,094
    1,468
    313
    Cadell

    I curse under my breath, digging my heels into Llucheden's flanks. She snorts and tosses her head, sweat lathering on her body. At least the men of Arendal are coming to back me up. I just hope I can get there in time to be of aid!

    ((Is it time to move to the main thread? I doubt Cadell will be able to join the fight this round, but at least he'll be close, right?))
     
  14. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,105
    3,467
    413
    Ankari & Mauve

    The gnoll force comes to a rest some distance from Arendal. Ghendra looks up at sky, judging the time by the fact that the dark black of night has turned to a light grey. He calls the warg riders over, and they encircle the group.

    Turning to Ankari and Mauve, Ghendra says "We will wait here as agreed." He reaches into a pack on his side and retrieves a horn made of animal bone. Handing it to Ankari, he says "If the city is under assault and we are needed, blow this. We must see to the child's safety."
     
  15. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,601
    853
    113
    I give the horn a moment's consideration, wondering if it's fashioner thought to create it while still attached to the living animal. Tools for the powerful. We are all someone's tool.

    "Whatever happens today, know that you have earned my full respect. Thank you, Ghendra." I clap the man on his shoulder, and turn toward the village. "Little mage, let's go see what trouble our friends have uncovered while our eyes were elsewhere."

    I lope ahead, careful to check my speed lest my once antagonist-turned-something-agreeable finds a reason to sniff her discontent and issue a tirade about my inconsideration. Today already promises to be a good day.
     
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  16. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    As soon we are out of Ghendra's earshot I tease the ranger, "When you are not busy hating something you are adorable, Ankari." I grin, deciding to not further torment him for the time being.

    I follow him instead, absently playing with the cloth I've used to cover my left eye, which is now wrapped around my neck as if it were a scarf. What shall we find?
     
  17. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,105
    3,467
    413
    Ankari & Mauve

    Before you get within eyesight of Arendal, it is clear something is amiss. The distant sounds of cries and battle are heard, and there is a faint smell on the air, mixed with the salt of the sea, as though something is burning. You are only a short distance from where the road emerges from the trees and curves into the village.
     
  18. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    I hurry towards the town, keeping close to the treeline.

    Fire? The only other threat were the Sahuagin. I doubt they use fire. An agent of Aslaug? No, it's likely a fire to cleanse that senile mage. I knew it wouldn't take a long time before he tripped.
     
  19. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,601
    853
    113
    If not for my company within the village, I would laugh at their predicament. Why have not the others noticed that my direct attention has always lead to a quick, and stable solution. No time for that now. That tower of a woman who never learned the meaning of modesty is in need of my help. Afterwards, when we are away from this dump, I'll teach her the function and intent of clothing.

    I heft the horn in my hand. The militia will need to be warned of the gnolls impending aid. "Pump your legs, little mage. Something is amiss, and our friends need us to pull their asses from that fire."

    Taking my own advice, I cut a straight line towards the docks (if I can. If not, I'll enter through the town).
     
  20. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    "I am hurrying already , ranger! What–" I close my mouth, pouting and inhaling some of the icy air while I change my direction to follow him. I know better than waste my precious breath to ask him questions that undoubtedly will go unanswered.
     
Loading...

Share This Page