• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 magic rules

Occassus

Dreamer
So I've come up with an idea that allows casters to create their own spells in the 3.5 version of D&D. Let me know what you think!

Hybrid Spells:

Once per every two Caster Levels, you can create a hybrid spell. A hybrid spells is two or more spells combined that takes up a spell slot of higher level spells.
The spells can only be combined if they are of similar effects (DMs choice)
The new spell level of the combined spell equals each spells level added together, minus 1 per spell added to the hybrid.
The minimum final spell level must be equal to at least the number of spells combined minus 1.

(Two level 0 spells would equate to one level 1 spell.
Three level 1 spells would equate to one level 2 spell.
Two level 2 spells would equate to one level 2 spell.
Three level 2 spells would equate to one level 3 spell.
One level 3 spell combined with one level 7 spell would equate to one level 8 spell.)
Etc.

Occassus

Dreamer
Forgot to mention, it will be forever part of my world, so I want to make sure it works out well.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
It's a neat idea.
I don't know much [or anything really... it's been many years since I last played] about D&D magic but couldn't this mean that [theoretically] you/your character could cast magics stronger/faster than you/your character should be able to? That might be your aim of course...
Is there likely to be a down side to this mixed magic?
Does the failure of a hybrid spell happen more often or the consequences get worse?

Hi,

What's the value of it? I mean lower level spells have lower level effects and combining two lower level effects isusually not going to be as much use as having one spell with a higher level effect. I mean why would I want to combine say a fire blast spell with a lightning bolt (been a long time since I've played NWN2 but lets call them lvl 3) when a level 4 fireball or ice storm could give me a better area effect etc and overcome spell resistences?

Cheers, Greg.

Occassus

Dreamer
Well the idea behind it is to allow them a little more control over their characters abilities. For example, sorcerers get a certain number of spells per day from a set list, and wizards can only cast the spells they've learned that day. So, it will give the sorcerer more ways of buffing the party or Pathans actually doing some significant non-save-based damage before level 10 or so, and it will also allow the wizard to be more prepared in whatever it is the party is trying to do. This can be powerful, yes. But, that's why I limited it to you can only make one hybrid spell every two CL.

Occassus

Dreamer
Also, it would take the place of the other spells. These aren't a bonus or anything. Just another route.