• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Duotrope

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
This is an excellent resource for finding all sorts of publications to submit to and has a great filtering system as well. Worth a look for anyone searching for a home for your latest story.

https://duotrope.com/

Last edited:

Ghost

Inkling
Are you perhaps mixing this up with TVTropes? THAT place will ruin your life. XD

No, I did not mean TVTropes. I have a hard time picturing how TVTropes could ruin my life.

With Duotrope, I find myself checking how recently Any Journal sent responses, where I fall on the range of estimated response times, what the statistics are like, when the deadlines are, what markets accepted work in the last few days, and things like that.

I have a hard time picturing how TVTropes could ruin my life.

1) You waste precious time you could have spent writing.

2) You realize that most of the people there are wasting precious time to avoid writing.

3) You start to think of life as a collection of stale tropes.

4) Your work becomes a collection of stale tropes.

5) You get caught up in an endless discussion on a thread about trivial subjects.

6) You glowingly describe the novel you've devoted the last seven years of your life to writing. Someone points out that it's an obvious variation of a shopworn cliche.

As in WarGames, the only way to win is not to play.

JCFarnham

Auror
Would I be right in saying Duotrope is geared towards American clients?

I ask only because I tried a quick search for my two and found those that fit and I was at least vaguely interested in were US and considered postal only subs. Bit awkward. (In fact the one that would have worked the most out of the majors was Baen and you know? I'm not that much into "solid scientific underpinnings" and the like ;))

I assume that because it specifies the HQ country in most cases that the possiblity for more internationally based publisher is there?

Last edited:

Agran Velion

Minstrel
I've actually ran into a handful of sites that were based outside of the U.S., and I don't think I've seen any that wanted postal only sub. Are you looking for a very specific Genre? (Fantasy, Urban, Realist) or are you just looking to publish a novel? I think looking to sell a novel or being really specific could limit your search results a good bit.

JCFarnham

Auror
I've actually ran into a handful of sites that were based outside of the U.S., and I don't think I've seen any that wanted postal only sub. Are you looking for a very specific Genre? (Fantasy, Urban, Realist) or are you just looking to publish a novel? I think looking to sell a novel or being really specific could limit your search results a good bit.

Don't sell novels and don't be specific? I'm not sure I follow.

I actually recommended duotrope on another thread on this site, so I am glad to see it in the Resources section. Thanks original poster (ran out of thanks for the day)!