• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

E3 2015

Gryphos

Auror
E3 was, by all accounts, pretty good this year. Loads of sweet looking games to keep looking out for in the future. (Finally there's something I can look forward to putting in my PS4 library, cos right now Bloodborne's getting lonely)

Some of the highlights for me were...

The Last Guardian
Made by Team Ico, the same people who made the masterpiece Shadow of the Colossus, this game has been in production for literally half a decade by this point, the subject of rumours upon rumours, and now we finally get some gameplay. The game looks to be about you the player and your companion Trico, a giant cat-bird-bat thing, as you navigate the levels using puzzles and platforming mainly involving the manipulation of the aforementioned Trico. It looks really sweet and is definitely going to get a lot of attention upon release.

Horizon Zero Dawn
I got three words for you: Hunting robot dinosaurs. Judging by the gameplay presentation, the story goes something like civilisation has collapsed and machines rule the world. Why the machines take the form of herds of deer-like robots and T-rex robots armed with plasma cannons, I've no idea, but I suppose that'll all get revealed in the game. Either way, you take the role of a member of a tribe and you go out and hunt these machines. Looks like the game will have a lot of open-world elements, which is cool.

For Honor
This is a PvP focused game where teams take the role of either knights, samurai or viking warriors and take each other on. What I like about this is that the combat system looks very promising, involving the manipulation of the joysticks of a controller in order to determine the direction of attack. This could in theory lead to a lot of skilled play, and I'm very excited to see it.

Honorary mentions include: Dark Souls 3 (I always love a Souls game), XCOM 2 (loved the last XCOM game, and this looks good), Star Wars: Battlefront (I've heard some skeptical reports of the demo, but if they do deliver then this should be great), Fallout 4 (I've never played a Fallout game, but everyone else seems to be collectively shitting their pants over this).

So yeah, loads of good games to look forward to. What did you guys like from this year's E3?

Ophiucha

Auror
Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favourite games, so I was about to cry when I saw that The Last Guardian was still in production and hadn't been cancelled. It looked gorgeous, and the dog-chicken moved so beautifully.

Earthbound/Mother is another of my all time favourites, and although it was a minor announcement just before Nintendo's World Championship, they've put the first Mother game (Earthbound Beginnings) on the Wii U eShop. It's an NES game, but this is the first time it has ever been released in America! Also, Lucas is now in Super Smash and they confirmed that he is getting an amiibo, which I want more than I want food, water, or oxygen.

- Dishonored 2 lets you play as Emily, which is really awesome of them.
- Fallout 4 is a game I will get, despite not really liking Fallout 3. I love the world too much to not.
- Kingdom Hearts 3 looks like it will be excellent. I will probably buy a PS4 for it.
- Final Fantasy 7 remake was a surprising announcement. If they keep it true to the original, just with some necessary updates, new graphics, and a remastered soundtrack... it'll probably be bloody perfect.
- Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer lets you change your skin tone, lets you teach maths to your villagers, and lets you make Isabelle happy by building her a nice house. It is the perfect game.
- Yoshi's Woolly World is adorable. I liked Kirby's Epic Yarn, so I will like this.
- Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario crossover game. All of the Mario RPGs are, frankly, some of the best turn-based RPGs in existence, so I'm happy to see a new one coming out so soon.
- Horizon Zero Dawn has archery, dinosaurs, and a female protagonist. Best new IP of the year.
- Some of the indie games looked good, though. Beyond Eyes, Tacoma, Ashen.
- Some other stuff that looked good: XCOM 2, Anno 2205, For Honor, the Pillars of Eternity expansion.
- It's way too expensive for me to get it, but I was drooling over XBox's new pro-controller.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
The push to get me to buy a PS4 was increased with this conference, but I have to admit in some ways the backward compatibility for Xbox One makes me slightly more interested in that since I have a huge 360 library that I don't want to scrap. So if my 360 dies on me, getting an upgrade to a Xbox One wouldn't be bad. However, PS4 just has more of what I want in a console: RPGs. I'm not a big shooter person, so most of Microsoft's announcements didn't interest me that much.

Fallout 4 is a definite buy.

Dark Souls 3 will be on my radar.

Anything Final Fantasy is always a must have. I think remaking the game is a huge mistake in some ways though because people will nitpick the hell out of it if it doesn't match up to the predecessor. Already I'm seeing little remarks from the developers about it being "updated for modern audiences." Which makes me worry. But I have cautious optimism.

XCOM 2 is another must buy. I loved the recent XCOM game.

Fallout 4- Exactly what I want in a post apocalyptic game.

Dishonored 2- I've been wanting to learn more about the Outsider. He's a new-ish god in the world, I want to learn how/why he was created. Not to mention you can play as Emily so that's pretty awesome.

Horizon Zero Dawn- This looks soooo cool. Like I may just get a PS4 for this alone.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Horizon Zero Dawn… just saw the trailer. As a former Monster Hunter player, I'm blown away. This is actually more like what I'd want from a monster-hunting game. It seems like there's more strategy, having to aim for specific targets, rather than hitting the same monster many, many, many, many, many, many times.

I agree with Philip, for me a clear attraction with PS4 is the RPGs - I loved The Last of Us. I was sad to hear that PS4 wont have the backwards compatibility of Xbox One - however the good news is that Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls will be coming to PS4 - thank goodness! I haven't played either of these games as I didn't own a PS3 previously.

Having said that - backwards compatibility is wonderful news from Xbox - I could definitely play Skyrim, Mass Effect 2 and 3 in coming years.