• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Eador: Masters of the Broken World (or; Heroes of Might and Magic for masochists)

Something broke the world into pieces, and now everyone's squabbling over the pieces. Every faction from before the apocalypse wants to keep control of its remaining land, and beings that claim to godhood want to kick them out and claim the land for themselves. It's up to you to beat up every single one of them and create a cohesive world, or else die in the attempt.

Did I say "or"? Make that "and".

This is, hands-down, the hardest turn-based strategy game I've ever played. Every time you think you've developed a foolproof strategy, some new threat will poke a single fatal hole in it and wipe out half your troops. But with patience and a lot of save-scumming, you and your "mighty" army can find ways to eliminate foes that in theory should be much, much stronger than you. (And then you'll get annihilated by the enemies one province over.)

This isn't a game for everyone, but if you've beaten a few similar games and are looking for a challenge, I highly recommend it.

A wall of pikemen is very good against undead, even better when backed up by archers and a healer. By using pikemen to kill all the undead around your capital, you can level up enough to take out other enemy types. Just don't try this if you're fighting in a desert shard--undead are immune to fatigue, and your soldiers likely aren't.