• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Editing fatigue

So, I've been trying to do a massive rewrite of my second novel. I'll be honest it has been coming slowly. It's not that I don't want to do it. It's not that it's not good for me as a writer. It's just that I'm having a hard time working up the mojo to get started, once I get there though I get in a groove. So, tell me, how do you get over the "I don't wanna start-ems?"

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
When you find out, let me know. My already slow progress on a novella first draft dropped to a crawl and halted altogether amidst a succession of real world events a couple weeks ago. Yes, I need to get back to work on that tale. And there is another that needs finishing, and more yet to start. But even when I find the time these days I go...'meh.'

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
For me, I find that leaving the house and going to a place like the library to specifically to write/edit helps. It's because once I leave the house, the time is committed. I can waste it or use it, but it's gone, so I might as well just get into it. It's also about environment. Home is for rest, work is for work. Now you just have to find a dedicated spot for writing and only writing. I find it helps to get into the writing head space quicker.

Also, I find it's a good sign when I start hating a novel/story. It means I've moved beyond the honeymoon phase and am noticing all the flaws. And I'm no longer staring starry-eyed at my prose.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Read Chris Fox's 5000 WPH.

I'm telling you, just the act of writing/editing in sprints and tracking my progress in a spreadsheet has made a ridiculous difference with me. Since 7/14, I've edited over 160,000 words in various stages and produced over 33,000 new words.

That's in less than a month. I find myself putting in a minimum of 2 hours per day, and most days I'm doing three or more.

I have never had a period so productive that's lasted this long.

I'm not sure it'll work for everyone, but, imo, it's worth trying.

acapes

Sage
I attack a big edit in small stages - maybe I focus on dialogue of one character, and do a run through. Then I jump around a bit and get through the novel quickly (or so it feels).

You could start with minor characters (who matter but who have only a handful of scenes) perhaps, then work up from there maybe?