• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion

myrddin173

Maester
Hi all, I recently bought a new laptop and was looking for some games to put on it, a friend suggested Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. I was just wondering if anyone here had played it and if its a good game and worth purchasing. Thanks.

I played Oblivion on the 360 and it is my favorite of the series. It's pretty open world and the world levels up with you. So if you start the main quest and then leave it for a few levels before returning back to it - the monsters may be a lot tougher. To me, it was easiest to start the game as an Argonian because they can breathe underwater and are basically immune to disease. You do have to be careful in your selection of major skills because it is those skill levels that actually raise your character level.

The Obilivion gates get rather repetitive, but I think they only have 6 "designs" to them so that's why I don't try to shut them down that often it just gets rather boring after a while.

Overall it is a good game and the expansions/DLC are pretty amazing too especially Shivering Isles. It's a game that can be played over and over again and that's what makes it worth buying.

But Skyrim - (Elder Scrolls V) - looks like it's going to be awesome (it comes out later this year). In Skyrim - there be dragons!

Fnord

Troubadour
In anticipation of Skyrim coming out in November, I started playing Oblivion again and am fully enamored with it when I was a little less than enthused with it a couple of years ago. I enjoyed Morrowind because it had a slightly dark, alien sort of atmosphere to it. It was a little grittier. Oblivion, conversely, just seemed too pretty for my liking when I first played it and I didn't give it much of a shot.

Now I'm playing it again and am really enjoying the depth of stuff to do. I'm playing a "Witchhunter" (essentially a sneaky archer with magic spells) and have spent the last few weeks just running mage and thieves guild quests alongside some smaller side quests. I haven't much touched the main quest but it will be waiting for me when I return.

I'm still really on the fence about how the game "levels up" alongside of you. It left a bad taste in my mouth before because I enjoy the idea of places being too challenging for you to go to initially and then the breadth of the world expanding as you get tougher. I understand how it can make the game less linear because no matter what order you do the quests, they'll be challenging, but sometimes it bothers me that I can't actually overpower some aspects of the game as I get more powerful.

But all in all it's an awesome game with exceptionally deep lore. And there are in-game books all over the place that detail bits and pieces of the story of the setting. Cool stuff!

Behelit

Troubadour
I was first introduced to Morrowind which I didn't get too deep into by any means. Oblivion had more of my hours invested into it, but I tended to wander off the beaten path and explore the caves/dungeons. I can't really compare the two as its been years since I've played Morrowind. One thing that always did bother me about both games are the character models. Hideous.

Oblivion has its moments of atmosphere, unique items, and some of the best immersion you can expect from a game. The selection of classes are slightly more descriptive and unique than most RPGs will venture and I appreciate that. The combat system is something I'd like to see worked on. I love real-time combat, but, to me, this felt more like button spamming than anything. I'm sure some of you will argue that perhaps I'm not being keen on the finer elements of the combat system. As for the game leveling up with you, though I can see strengths in it, the weaknesses outweigh those.

I never completed the main game, I would always burn out on the dungeon-crawling.

myrddin, though it has been out for a few years now, it is still a relatively graphic intensive game. Your laptop should have a good dedicated video card (Not onboard) to run it decent. Just keep that in mind if you are looking to make a purchase. You might want to find out what kind of card is in your laptop and then check online to see if there are any benchmark tests that have been run against the game.

Last edited:
I was first introduced to Morrowind which I didn't get too deep into by any means. Oblivion had more of my hours invested into it, but I tended to wander off the beaten path and explore the caves/dungeons. I can't really compare the two as its been years since I've played Morrowind. One thing that always did bother me about both games are the character models. Hideous.

Oblivion has its moments of atmosphere, unique items, and some of the best immersion you can expect from a game. The selection of classes are slightly more descriptive and unique than most RPGs will venture and I appreciate that. The combat system is something I'd like to see worked on. I love real-time combat, but, to me, this felt more like button spamming than anything. I'm sure some of you will argue that perhaps I'm not being keen on the finer elements of the combat system. As for the game leveling up with you, though I can see strengths in it, the weaknesses outweigh those.

I never completed the main game, I would always burn out on the dungeon-crawling.

I never actually finished the game either. I've finished out the Dark Brotherhood, Theives Guild, Fighter's Guild and Mage's Guild quests and started in on side quests and dungeon crawls. I think the futherest I ever got in the main was delivering the Daedric Artifact. I'm on my fourth playthru and I still haven't ever completed the game. ;)

I never could get into Morrowwind - but in all fairness - either the copy of the game I had or the machine itself made it impossile for me to turn to the left. So I kept dying - repeatedly because I had to turn all the way around in a circle to face my opponent in order to fight back - got very annoying and never cared for the game since.

the copy of the game I had or the machine itself made it impossile for me to turn to the left. So I kept dying - repeatedly because I had to turn all the way around in a circle to face my opponent in order to fight back - got very annoying and never cared for the game since.
This actually made me laugh my little cotton socks off.:D

On topic, Oblivion is one of the few fantasy games I've ever completed. Possibly because the plot is quite easy to get a handle on and I never found myself wandering about aimlessly wondering what to do next. Unlike Morrowind, which at the halfway point left me twiddling my thumbs. That's never a good sign.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I've spent more hours playing Oblivion than I care to admit. My character is level 38 and insanely powerful. Despite the game leveling up around me, I managed to create a sword of ungodly power, which makes it fairly easy to defeat pretty much any enemy. I also became a master of summoning. My character generally summons a storm elemental, and then goes in for the kill with my custom sword.

All this being said, I never did finish the main quest, and probably never will. I found the task of closing oblivion gates to be repetitive and tedious. But exploring the world itself, and enjoying the multitude of side quests was exceptionally fun. I would highly recommend this game to anyone.

All this being said, I never did finish the main quest...
You really should. Once you close the last gate things pick up considerably. None of it's on a par with the Shivering Isles of course, which is probably the only add-on I've played which was better than the main game, but still. :)

Yeah I'm all late.. We've covered this LOL... We have Oblivion for xbox... If the pc game is the same as the xbox version.. It's worth it.. I haven't played it but Bry just about finished beating it.. I'll tell you know if you don't know the way to make an arrow shoot out a million gems or potions.. I have no idea how Bry does that crap >.<, you'll be spending ALOT of money on healing potions.. but it looks like fun.. I'm too much of a pansy to play it myself LOL I'd get too frustrated and be mad LMAO! but Bry played that game for 16 hours the other day and I like the whole closing of the oblivion gates thing o_O it looks interesting enough LOL... Yeah you'll want to get the expansions too LOL which is where Bry is in the game.. He's "taking a break" from trying to close the final gate LOL