1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Elemental creatures

Discussion in 'Research' started by koen-hagens, Mar 18, 2016.

1. koen-hagens

koen-hagens Acolyte

Hey Scribes!
    I have a little question, in the world I'm creating I've been creating a religion focused on elemental gods in the form of animals. I now have 2 gods, The Phoenix as God of the sun, fire, ressurection and the Lord of all Gods, and his Brother Lord Thunderbird, God of weather and life. I was wondering if anybody knows any other animals from mythology or Folklore from older civilizations like the Greek or the native Americans.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Coyote shows up a lot in the trickster role.

3. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

Leviathan (sea monster) gets mentioned in a water/ocean/chaos role. Also called Tiamat.

4. X Equestris

X Equestris Maester

Yeah, serpents related to water and chaos are pretty common.

5. TheKillerBs

TheKillerBs Inkling

That's because the original meaning of chaos was the primordial waters from whence the world sprang forth in the Indo-European and Semitic traditions.

6. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

I have whole books about mythological creatures. Is there anything in particular you're looking for?

7. K.S. Crooks

K.S. Crooks Inkling

8. Bekka King

Bekka King Scribe

9. psychotick

psychotick Auror

Hi,

And no one's mentioned cats? My cat is appalled! Think acient Egyption gods and the sacred cat.

Cheers, Greg.

10. Geo

Geo Troubadour

My favorite source for mythic creatures is the Book of Imaginary Beings from Jorge Luis Borges. If you want something original and with true historical roots, that book is the best place to find it.

For what you mention the Hafgua (Hafgufa) seems evacuated:

Hafgua was the mother of all sea monsters and fed on whales, ships, men, and anything it could catch. Hafgufa was said to have lived underwater, and when the tide was low at night, her nose and head would rise out of the water.

11. Carolyn

Carolyn Acolyte

Elemental Creature Resources

I'm not the OP but I found the two resources you mentioned to be extremely useful, so thanks!