• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Emotion Thesaurus

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Found this today & thought it might be useful for some writers here who struggle with displaying emotion through physical signs (Yes, the "Show don't Tell" principle).

The book is an extensive list of emotions and their physical cues. It involves physical signals, internal sensations, & mental responses. The authors then developed the ideas further by incorporating what these physical cues can develop into long-term, what the emotion could escalate to, and possible consequences of suppressing that emotion.

This book is intended to help writers brainstorm unique ways to express character emotion. Although the physical manifestations could be used as they are written in the thesaurus, these emotions listed are meant to be a starting point to expound upon and experiment with.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Emotion-T...=1344703640&sr=8-1&keywords=emotion+thesaurus

Ebook cost is $4.99 ($14.99 in print). It is also available on iBooks.

Graylorne

Archmage
I got one too. Bought it a few months back at Smashwords. I'm using it especially for my Scarfar characters, as these are new and experimental.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Bought the book, thanks T.Allen.Smith (from now on, you're going to be referred to as TAS. Or maybe Taz because it sounds better. Pick one)

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Ankari said:
Bought the book, thanks T.Allen.Smith (from now on, you're going to be referred to as TAS. Or maybe Taz because it sounds better. Pick one)

Either is fine, I have gone by both many times.... TAS though may be easier to decipher for those not reading this thread 8)

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Just wanted to thank you again for the recommendation. Also, If anyone is a Nook user, you can buy it here. This has been the best writing reference I've ever bought.

Alice

Dreamer
:D Got the book on my Kindle, actually! Found The Bookshelf Muse on a whim and I consider it as one of my great sources for writing! :cloud9: