• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ending a chapter effectively?

cydare

Minstrel
One of the things I've been struggling with lately is giving my chapters endings that would be satisfactory enough for a break, but still leave the reader interested and wanting to read on. The second part is what's giving me grief. Though there are loose ends and new questions raised from the middle of the chapters, my chapter endings seem to be too neat for page-turners.

I don't want them to be a string of never-ending cliffhangers but, how do you find the right balance?

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Well, this is tough to know without seeing what you're doing. Plus, there aren't any guarantees a tactic will work anyhow, including the cliffhanger. There are two big things (IMO) that good chapter endings can do in order to be compelling: The question and the revelation. Raising a question is the most obvious chapter end, the other one can think of as the Prestige of a magic trick.

The Pledge.
The Turn.
The Prestige.

A well setup reveal will make the reader think... cool, nice, well done, wow, or whatever, and while it doesn't ask a question, directly, it makes the reader want to know what you're going to do next. Chapters ending with a prestige also do another very important thing... they demonstrate you know how to write an ending, not just ask questions.

Another key to ending chapters is to end them... don't let them linger, when they are done, they're done. Too many writers drag out their word count, IMO, taking a cleaver to the end of the chapter with a clean cut creates more of a sense of motion.

Another key to ending chapters is to end them... don't let them linger, when they are done, they're done. Too many writers drag out their word count...

Couldn't agree more. Chapter ending does seem like a magic trick too, but in my opinion if you're really writing a story that is progressing and going somewhere your chapters are alternating. One ends in a cliffhanger until later, the next let's us know some part of the story line has officially ended (with what effect), and so on.

Each chapter is a scene and so long as your scenes stay synchronized around plot changes, your endings should be too.

The actual act of writing an ending though means building to climax, winding down to a point, moving on at a specific time, or introducing something new. Just treat your chapters as a chain not blocks.

C

Chessie

I have a huge problem with endings...chapters and story finales. It's my greatest and stupidest weakness. Des is right though, stop when it's done. A lot of times we write past the ending. I think we intuitively know when the ending is either in sight or already written. So just go back and read to see where it is if you think you passed it. I wish I had better advice to give you. If anyone knows of good resources on endings please don't hesitate to share. :/

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
The note I make to myself, quite often is this: lean forward.

I make that note when I have the end of a scene in place, but it doesn't lean forward. That is, it does not raise a question, does not create a tension, does not spring a surprise.

You might examine your own reading habits. What makes you decide to put a book down at the end of a chapter, even though you have more time to read? What makes you decide to keep going, even though it's late and you're tired?

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I use scene-sequel in designing my chapters/scenes, and they guide me in how/when things should stop.

In terms of scene-sequel, a scene will end on failure, an unexpected consequence of success, or a unexpected consequence in addition to failure. The ending of a sequel is a decision, a choice determining a course a action.

Basically those are how I end my sections, whether you want to call them scenes or chapters or whatever.

cydare

Minstrel
You guys are right. Looking back through my work, I tend to write past the natural ending and it ends up dragging. I need to be more merciless in my revisions when it comes to cutting and try to cram less in the last few paragraphs.

Leaning forward and the scene-sequel model both seem super useful when it comes to planning especially! Thank you!

K.S. Crooks

Maester
I plan my story by deciding what major plot events will take place in the entire story. I then make one or two occur in their own chapter. My stories tend to have a lot of travel. This makes having a new chapter occur when the characters arrive in a different location feel natural.
Depending on your story a change could be going to another room; change in perspective, or the addition/removal of a major character to a situation. For example if you have a group of marines in a battle with mercenaries and the second in command of the unit is killed it may be time to start a new chapter. Generally a major change in location, perspective or circumstance is a good reason to start a new chapter.
As for chapter length it varies depending on amount of content for the situation and personal preference. I’m sure you’ve read books that have a new chapter every 4-5 pages and others that may go 25-30. More action or many parties and locations involved may lend to shorter chapters. While discussions, long journeys and scenes with high emotions may have longer chapters. But there really is no set method. Find what feels natural to you and don’t be afraid to experiment or change ideas.