• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

English or American?

CTStanley

Scribe
I was educated in Scotland and live in England, thus I'm used to using English spellings for things. Does this matter when writing a book? I don't particularly like changing my spellings to the American versions, but my softwares constantly tries to do so. Would it make Americans think my spelling is just wrong? When I see american spellings in books I definitely notice it, but it doesn't affect the enjoyability. Is this true the other way round?

ie.
colour/color
authorise/authorize (most things ending in ise really)

Mindfire

Istar
American readers might be slightly annoyed with British spellings and vice versa, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter much. The only issue you might run into is if you use British slang a lot. If you do, you run the risk of your American readers not knowing what on earth you're talking about.

Also, the American spellings are better. :p

CTStanley

Scribe
Ah I avoid the slang in everyday speach on the most part, it's unlikely to enter my writing :p

Plus I was born in canada, I have no prejudice against either. Though I'm not a fan of all the z's.

Sinitar

Minstrel
English is not my main language. I had to learn it the hard way, and there's been numerous times when I questioned my own linguistic skills when spelling came into question. I'm saying this because I have a hard time envisioning the level of ignorance one needs to be annoyed at different spelling. There's other people and cultures out there! Surely it's not that difficult to accept this simple fact.

From a reader's point of view, I honestly don't care about spelling. When drawn into a story, it's difficult to keep track of such small details :)

Ireth

Myth Weaver
American readers might be slightly annoyed with British spellings and vice versa, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter much. The only issue you might run into is if you use British slang a lot. If you do, you run the risk of your American readers not knowing what on earth you're talking about.

What if your characters are English and would use that slang, even if their author (e.g. me, a Canadian) normally wouldn't? That's one of the issues I've had with my novels, Winter's Queen and its sequel. It would just feel weird to be in their POV and have them use Canadian/American terms like "flashlight" rather than "torch", etc.

I would stick to what you're most comfortable with. Don't be worried by what you think people will be annoyed by, and spell the words the way you normally do. I think that most people will notice it, but just ignore it. The only people I could imagine being annoyed by it are those " 'Murcans " who rarely read anyway.

Plus, I love seeing English/British spellings. It reminds me of Tolkien. :)

Saigonnus

Auror
I am in agreement, I don't think it matters all that much in the grand scheme of things. Unless it's slang, most Americans will know what the word is even if it is spelled in the British fashion. I myself grew up reading Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Shakespeare so even the old English poses no great problem for me to read. I think if the book is well written and entertaining, it won't matter.

Mindfire

Istar
I would stick to what you're most comfortable with. Don't be worried by what you think people will be annoyed by, and spell the words the way you normally do. I think that most people will notice it, but just ignore it. The only people I could imagine being annoyed by it are those " 'Murcans " who rarely read anyway.

Plus, I love seeing English/British spellings. It reminds me of Tolkien. :)

Note to self: must write a story about people/creatures called Murcans.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Differing spellings don't bother me one iota.

I hope & believe that sentiment is shared by the vast majority of educated readers here in the U.S. Furthermore, regardless of spelling and accent, we speak ENGLISH as a national language as well. I hope that is not lost on people here.

CTStanley

Scribe
I know a few people who are sticklers for sticking to their native version of the words. :O

Writing a book about Murcans would make me think about merkins... and that would bring some rather, uhn, interesting visions.

Mindfire

Istar
I know a few people who are sticklers for sticking to their native version of the words. :O

Writing a book about Murcans would make me think about merkins... and that would bring some rather, uhn, interesting visions.

What? :confused:

*checks Wikipedia*

...the Murcan idea has now been scrapped. Please pass the brain bleach. -_-

Ghost

Inkling
I don't think it matters when you're writing a book. If you don't like American spelling, don't use it. Do the one you like and can use consistently. I'd find writing less enjoyable and even more like a chore if I had to use British spelling. (Except for grey. I prefer it over gray for some reason.) Besides, readers who think British spelling is incorrect are the ones who'd benefit from seeing more of it, anyway. :p

I wish they'd leave books like Harry Potter alone, but it's not like we got to vote on it. Publishers decide stuff like that. If you go the traditional route and they decide to change spelling and word choice, I believe they'd have someone in-house to do it. No need to make more work for yourself.

When I see american spellings in books I definitely notice it, but it doesn't affect the enjoyability. Is this true the other way round?

It's true for me, whether it's spelling or slang. Sometimes a word is used in a way that puzzles me. The same thing comes up in books that cover unfamiliar topics. The book might be set in Maine or Tennessee or it might be about sports or farming. It's no big deal.

Last edited:

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Being Canadian, In daily life I tend to swing back an fourth between American and Canadian spellings without giving it much though. BUT for my writing I use the American spelling. My thinking is Canadians, English, etc. are more tolerant of American spelling than the other way around.

But with that said, I so wish I could pull off UK slang. I don't know why, but I find it way more cool.

Weaver

Sage
I was educated in Scotland and live in England, thus I'm used to using English spellings for things. Does this matter when writing a book? I don't particularly like changing my spellings to the American versions, but my softwares constantly tries to do so. Would it make Americans think my spelling is just wrong? When I see american spellings in books I definitely notice it, but it doesn't affect the enjoyability. Is this true the other way round?

ie.
colour/color
authorise/authorize (most things ending in ise really)

Well, I don't care when it's in a book I'm reading. Nor do I care when it's in a book I'm proofreading/editing, so long as it's consistent (don't use both authorise and authorize - pick one and stick with it).

Chilari

Staff
Actually that's a question I've been wondering recently as far as publication goes: published authors, do you have a "British" version and an "American" version where you have s/z, colour/color, etc respectively, or do you just go with what you wrote it in?

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I am in the unique position of speaking a hybrid language in my home. My husband is from Leicester, and I'm from Wisconsin (and speak German as a second language). In our home, we speak British/ American hybrid, so I tend to write in that same style. I love it, personally, and think my wording is both expressive and readable. However, it has led to problems with beta readers. My spelling is American, because that's what I grew up writing in school, but my wording is much more British, and my "In my head voice" when I read, has a British accent, though not a thick one. HAHA yeah a rural north accent in my head, that would be rich!

Anyways, I think most literate people will read past those spellings, and personally, I loved reading Harry Potter and watching loads of British shows, because it feels very comfortable to me, almost like a secret I've been let in on because I'm part of it too. That probably sounds stupid.

In my books, I love to include our common speech patterns, because to me, it adds a personality to my characters. When Ayleth exclaims, "You're such a git, Aarin," I smile, thinking how many times I have said that same thing to my husband, in mock frustration. Would n American reader need that spelled out or defined? I don't think so. I think by the context, anyone would be able to understand, even though that isn't a word we use here (not for lack of trying on my part).

Perhaps it's just that I've lived with a British guy for ten years, but i think British nuances to writing lends a tone to the book, and that's why I like to include our way of speaking into my writing.

HAHA it's funny, one day, someone asked me, "Where are you from?"
"Wisconsin," I replied.
He looked confused. "Oh, you sound English or something."
"Oh that," I said. "My husband is British. We talk weird in our home. I'm from Wisconsin, dontcha know..."

:) Don't worry about it. American's who read aren't half as dumb as the ones who don't.

dangit

Scribe
yeah I don't care about american spellings and my mom is american and I don't think she's bothered by english spellings but then she doesn't really have choice.:banghead::)