• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Epic

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I have watched the new animated movie Epic in the theater yesterday, I absolutely loved it, my mother liked it very much too and I could not wait to start this thread!!

This movie is really good, the best that I have seen in a long time. Epic has a sweet and brilliant story, great characters, wonderful visual effects and music composed by Danny Elfman. I enjoyed every minute of this movie, and I recommend it a lot to all of you.

The main character is a teenage girl called Mary Katherine, and the only sad effect that the movie had on me, is that I desperately wanted to be M.K. and live in her world...

Have you already watched Epic? What do you think of it??

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Hmmm... never even heard of it. Would you think it would be appropriate for a 4 year old audience?

By the way, Elfman as a composer is far superior to Elfman as Oingo Boingo.

The Construct

Minstrel
Yes, I've seen it. It thought it was great as well.

One might even say it was...epic! :D /bad joke

But yes, it was very good. And it would probably be suitable for 4 year olds, yes, it's rated G.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I haven't seen it yet, but I'd like to. I like animated features. I thought Tangled, How to Train your Dragon, and Rise of the Guardians were all good. For some reason, I was disappointed by Brave.

Jess A

Archmage
I'm with Steerpike, I loved Tangled and How to Train Your Dragon, and have just bought Brave but have yet to watch it. So I think I will probably like Epic as well. I haven't seen Rise of the Guardians yet.

Fyri

Inkling
I was also disappointed by Brave... and Arrietty for that matter... but Epic lived to my expectations as well as Rise of the Guardians. And Epic is very suitable for 4 year olds. It was the Father Daughter movie for the young Girl Scouts of my community this year. Epic was more of how I wished the Secret World of Arrietty was. Oh well.

Draco99

Scribe
This movie sounds quite interesting. Animations are my type of thing and I absaloutely loooooove creative animations. I shall search this EPIC...

Thx for telling us :)

Jess A

Archmage
Eh...tad off topic, but I watched Brave last night, and I liked it. Bit unexpected (the plot), totally not what I thought it would be. Entertaining. Looking forward to seeing Epic now.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
For those of you that have not watched Epic yet and feel curious about it, you can see the third and best official trailer right here:

[video=youtube_share;T3z2ryJ2960]http://youtu.be/T3z2ryJ2960[/video]

I think that Epic is the perfect combination between imagination, adventure, comedy and a love story, and I want to watch it again this afternoon.

They definitely must make a second part, maybe even a trilogy =)

Mindfire

Istar
I heard the movie has one or two too many annoying comedic sidekicks that kill the "epic" moments. Is this true? Because unnecessary comedy/comic relief sidekicks are a pet peeve of mine. In any case, hopefully this is just as good, or better than the first time they made it. You know, when it was called Fern Gully. :D

Last edited:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I did not know about that Fern Gully film from 1992, so I am reading about its plot and characters at Wikipedia right now.

This sounds quite different to Epic, so even without watching Fern Gully, I can come to the conclusion that the two stories are similar only to a limited degree. They say that Fern Gully was based on a book of the same name by Diana Young, while Epic is loosely based on a different book called The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs by William Joyce.

The sidekick characters were okay, and from my point of view, the comedy elements are well balanced throughout the story.