• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ever give your characters personality quizzes?

Not so sound a downer, but personality isn't character, but an expression of it. For writing strong characters, you really need to be clear on their main motivations and sources of conflict.

WooHooMan

Auror
At one point I tried to give characters a "what D&D alignment are you quiz". Stuff like this is fun, I guess but I don't see any practical use to it.
I think Brian G Turner is completely right. The character's conflict (internal or external) is more important than their expressed personality.

I tried giving my antagonist the quiz you posted and he got extroverted/intuitive/thinking/judging personality with "marginal or no preference" for everything. I think that means either he's extremely boring or I didn't read the questions very carefully. Both are pretty likely.

I once first took a "what famous literary character are you" quiz for myself (as a female) and then did it again and changed the answers for my main character (who is a male).

My results were I am Galadriel from "Lord of the Rings." And I did the quiz three times for my main character as I felt multiple answers would suit him. The results were all quite accurate actually. He's like Peter Pan, Sherlock Holmes, and Superman. A hero of childhood, an intellectual hero, and an astutely moral superhero. I can actually draw even more hero types from this pattern on my own!

I agree with Brian G Turner though that there is so much more to character personalities than this. But doing quizzes for them is still fun, I agree. I admit I never tried the Jung Typology quiz, though. I might.