• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Explanations in a side story?

Daeldalus

Dreamer
How much should be explained when writing a stand-alone side story to a much larger tale?

What I am currently working on is a small side story and is after a few important events in the main story, events that would necessarily explain how my world works in general and my "magic" is quite different to most and may take a bit of work just get the reader to understand the general premise. not only that, the military structure is a little different and does not show up much in my side-story, should that be explained much?

only explain as necessary for the circumstances?
explain in more detail since this may be the only story i write in that setting?

Saigonnus

Auror
I think any aspect of the story that is necessary to propogate the story is what you should focus on... if the character is a soldier in the army, then sure I could understand going into it; but if he's a swineherd or cabinet maker perhaps it wouldn't be important enough to include. The same is true of your magic system; if your character is a magician or they face evil mages in the subway aboard a train then go into it as much as you feel you need to.

Going into stuff not directly involved in the story, is just adding "bling" or boasting of your creativity. I am guilty of this myself and I have had to change how I do things to keep this from happening. Also, don't underestimate the intelligence of readers by having the mentality of "they'll never understand unless I explain ever tiny little facet of the system".

Daeldalus

Dreamer
thanks that clears things up a bit for me.

should I always assume that the reader has not read any work of mine that is related to the current story? I mean as long as it is not a direct sequel to the other work.

GeekDavid

Auror
thanks that clears things up a bit for me.

should I always assume that the reader has not read any work of mine that is related to the current story? I mean as long as it is not a direct sequel to the other work.

It's a good rule of thumb. Even if you're writing a sequel, sometimes people don't remember some of the details.

Finding out how much to remind people without going overboard is a matter of art.