• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy(ish) setting idea

Hey bros, just joined the wiki.

I've been world building this setting for about a year or so. I started off with a steampunk setting, but it sort of morphed into a fantasy-ish setting with a sort-of magic system and, yes, guns. Real guns. Machine guns, stuff like that, real steel, people!

Yes, I'm aware that Brandon Sanderson's TSA is based on storms filling the world, but since I came up with this setting way before I even heard of him, I'll just ignore that since I think the setting is original enough.

So basically, the skyrifts in the Northerlands opened 1000 years ago, and released energies throughout the world called bestowage.

Bestowage is found in small, tear shaped crystals that can be melted with dragonfire and crafted into incredibly light, strong and lethal alloys used for weapons and armor, things made with tearcrystals are called bestowagery.

However, bestowage is used up when the crystals are melted down, and it returns to the skyrifts. By the time my story starts, all the bestowage in the world has been used up a few hundred years ago. Ancient weapons are strewn about the world. Now, the rifts have just opened again, and war is on between two major nations. There's a lot more stuff that I won't talk about for the sake of it being changed later on.

I think of bestowage as a sort of semi-magic system, and people called stormborn can use bestowage to change either their weight, senses or physical toughness. Stormborn are very rare, and when they use bestowagery, they are called stormsworn. The stormborn haven't been able to use their powers in years thanks to the shortage of bestowage. Now they are back, ready to tip the balance of this war.

What are your thoughts on my magic-ish system? I'd love to hear if anyone could come up with anything else bestowage could possibly do.