1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Fantasy races library

Discussion in 'Ask the Staff' started by Delem, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Delem

Delem Acolyte

Warm greeting to all,

what do you think of having a place (like a library) where articles of fantasy races will be collected? I guess it can help a lot of people creating their own visions on a certain race based on some other's description. Like, elves of Tolkien, elves of World of War-craft and so on? Sort of encyclopedia here.

2. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

jax, A. E. Lowan and ALB2012 like this.
  3. ALB2012

ALB2012 Maester

Cool thins kind of thing is useful.

4. Subcreator

Subcreator Minstrel

I tend to find them through articles like the ones that have already been linked to, as well as specific Wikipedia pages for different races. For World of Warcraft-specific races, I just look them up on Wowwiki.com.

5. Myshkin

Myshkin Closed Account

The Monstropedia at Monstropedia has been useful for me. The site isn't the best designed but they've briefly cover a lot of categories of creatures that you can then do more research on once you've found a critter with potential.

North American Mythical Creatures is also interesting because you get to see a lot of mythical creatures not in found in modern writing or in movies. It's great if you trying to create a critter that doesn't follow popular expectations, like vampires and werewolves.

jax, A. E. Lowan and Reaver like this.
  6. Don't know about any mythical creature libraries, but there's a guide to the characters of the DC universe at my library that gives you all their facts and stats. Quite useful for thinking of different characters.