• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy Trading Card Games

My friends have always been in to Magic The Gathering. And many times, they've tried to get me in to it. One of my friends even gave me a starter deck last year to get me to play. I'd battle my friends with it, and I'd always lose. I just coudn't get in to it. I loved the concept of the game and the art on the cards though.

Well, this past week, a friemd of mine introduced me to a card game called Force of Will, and I've been hooked. We meet as often as we can, and have sessions that last hours. I suck at this game too, but I love it. And it's even prompted me to go out and buy another MTG deck. In FOW, I'm running a Light deck, and in MTG, I'm playing a combo blue/red deck. I think this hobby might start taking a toll on my wallet. Do you guys play any of these games? Or anything similar?

Reilith

Sage
I am a big gamer in every way, from PC, board games, fantasy roleplays and of course card games.
And let me tell you, any of those can take a bite on your wallet, if you don't watch out.
I've played Yu-Gi-Oh since my days in elementary school, but all the cards I got were usually from my mom as a gift for a birthday, Christmas etc. Later on I gathered money and bought newer cards when I could until I was happy with my deck and after that it is just playing with friends.
I was recently introduced too, to MtG and I love it, but one huge problem I have with it is that it is a really competitive, evolving game, and it COSTS. MtG keeps throwing out new cards really fast and people pay a lot to always be on top of their game. So, my question is, are you looking to play MtG as a casual or serious player? Playing casually is easier and it will consume less money, but be prepared to have a deck that will soon get out of fashion and be beaten by better decks. If you're going all out as a serious player you will have to put a lot of money into it, buy new packs an decks, get involved with the community, go to tournaments and pre-releases so you can grab the new stuff first. At least here, that costs as you must pay to partake in the pre-release and tournaments, and also for buying cards with that. It can get rather expensive.
And all that makes me feel less hyped about the game, since I do like to play but I don't want to spend tons of money (which I don't have) on a game just so I can be a winner.
I can also recommend you Hearthstone from blizzard, it is an online card game, free to play, and while it is competitive and can bend slight to pay to win, you can get decent decks with the in-game gold you gather by completing daily quests. Or you can play a smaller amount of money, get the cards that are stronger and then just keep playing with that. How that works is, you get basic cards by lvling heroes; you get packs with in-game gold or with money and get 5 random cards per pack, thus being able to construct better decks. There are two adventures that cost a lot in in game gold per wing (and an adventure has around 5 wings total), but you can pay irl around 22 € for the full adventure, beat the npc's and get the reward cards that are some of the best in the game and then continue playing with those, not spending any more irl money. I am planing on getting one of the adventures and getting those cards, and then keep playing and buying packs with in-game gold.
So that's another option for you.
All card games can get expensive if you get too immersed, but some are less costly if you know what you want and how to manage it.

Ophiucha

Auror
When I was in high school, I played Yu-Gi-Oh! practically every weekend. Competitively, sometimes, and often just with one of my friends who was also really into it. I still have all of my old cards, although these days only about 1/3rd of them are tournament legal anymore and there are so many new rules and card types that I couldn't really play it with anyone anymore.

My husband and I sometimes buy deck packs that are built to go against each other for Magic and Pokemon, which can be pretty fun. They are usually only $10-$15 for two 40-card decks, and they're built to be balanced so there's no "she wins because she paid more money and has better cards". Which we like, because we have very little money to spend on stuff like this. We also play deck-builder games, which are single-purchase games where you get hundreds of cards that you make a new deck with everytime you play, as opposed to each player bringing their own deck. Which helps a lot when dealing with a gaming group of varying economic accessibility, so to speak. We've been playing 'Legendary' a lot, which is a Marvel-themed card game.

Philster401

Maester
I play pokemon and yugioh a fair amount leaning heavily towards yugioh card game and pokemon video games (though I do know how to play the card game). I play yugioh for weeks straight then the friends I play with gets tired and we break for a few months and come back and start again. I probably have over 500 yugioh cards and over 400 pokemon cards. I've been collecting pokemon cards for 9 years and yugioh cards for about 7 years.