• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy world, with guns, trains and no magic?

Good day everyone ,

As the title suggested, is it still considered normal or possible that a fantasy world could be considered fantasy without the magic factor?

I am working on my story line and had this thought whether to make it more original. Currently, i'm working on a story focused on certain morals and ethnics issues, such as racism and also power struggles within royalties and nobles.

Then an idea struck me. Instead of putting all these in a sword and magic era, why not try putting it in a more advanced age. Like the industrialized age, where steam engine are discovered.

Of course I want the guns and swords as well since guns aren't going to be very power.

Mythical creatures and monsters also seems interesting to blend it together.

Magic on the other hand will be more like an lost art. But someone know how to use it and it has some diabolical powers.

What do you think?

Taro

Minstrel
i think if done well it could be an interesting story, and in my opinion fantasy doesn't always has to be magic and what not. i would love to see where this goes and it would almost sound steampunkish. Good luck and i can't wait to see some chapters of this.

shangrila

Inkling
You've pretty much just described Steampunk, sans the magic as a lost art.

In response to your question; of course it can work. Fantasy is a broad term. Your story/world doesn't have to be filled with goblins, swordsmen and kings. Fantasy is just, well, fantasy. The unreal. The imagination.

johnsonjoshuak

Troubadour
I've actually started a series that is very similar to the world you are describing, except that I do have magic users in it (albeit very limited).

I refer to it as "Gunpowder Fantasy" as it doesn't quite reach the Steampunk level of steam-power, fantastic inventions out of place with the technology. There is are a couple of other, better known than me, authors that write in this area (William King's Terrarch Series and A. S. Warwick's Commonwealth Chronicles tend more toward muskets than rifles, but still Gunpowder technology).

I use rifles, telegraphs and steam trains while integrating elves, orcs, griffins, manticores and magic. My tagline is "On the world of Zaria, elves, magic and mythical creatures coexist beside rifles and railroads."

I have some posts on my blog (gunpowderfantasy.com) about how I use the different technologies and how I set up my races differently.

I think that it's definitely a niche but, hopefully, it takes off!

Last edited:

Jabrosky

Banned
By the way, recently I've considered writing fantasy in the opposite direction, namely that with a Stone Age-inspired tribal setting. I haven't really found a decent plot for it yet, but it would make for some fun worldbuilding.

sounds intresting. I think it would work just fine since you don't need magic for fantasy, and settings can vary greatly. it sounds very intresting :)

Mindfire

Istar
I've always wanted to see what a fantasy western would look like.

And no, I will not read that series by Stephen King.

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. Nice.. I will try to head that direction of thought.. Now I just got to do some research on guns, namely guns around the gunpowder era.. I won't want my goblins or orcs to use M16 or AK47.. That will be a bit too warhammer 40K.

What do you think about the magic as an lost art? My thought that will probably be more logical is that, the magic was a very powerful weapon.. Like creating a hurricane, or earthquake... Or simply made human combust by themselves and etc.. but yet, it wasn't a easy thing to learn and master it. In fact, it's way too risky, as many mages and wizards get burned and killed in the process.

So people turned to using technological advancement, such as catapults to throw burning hurls of fire instead of having a person casting a huge fireball..

My other thought for the story is also to be advancing forward... Like example, the first 2 books(maybe) will be still swords and sorcery while the characters in the story died of old age and etc, then the next generation of heroes and villains took over and the world had advanced forward...

Magic in the other books will be lesser in elements and more to the mystic stuffs....

What do you think?

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
I think that it sounds like a great idea. sometimes I think that fantasy writers get too caught up in a flashy magic system that they lose focus on the plot and the characters. setting the story in the gilded age or steam punk allows you to have fantastic elements but it also grounds the social issues that you were describing in historical contexts. I have thought about writing a steam punk book myself so all the power to you. Good Luck!

squishybug87

Minstrel
Oooh Steampunk :) I say go for it. You can watch some documentaries about the American Civil War or visit some museums if you wanted some ideas about fire arms. I would also love to see how this one turns out. I like that you're dealing with themes and characters over magic.

Good day everyone ,

As the title suggested, is it still considered normal or possible that a fantasy world could be considered fantasy without the magic factor?

I am working on my story line and had this thought whether to make it more original. Currently, i'm working on a story focused on certain morals and ethnics issues, such as racism and also power struggles within royalties and nobles.

Then an idea struck me. Instead of putting all these in a sword and magic era, why not try putting it in a more advanced age. Like the industrialized age, where steam engine are discovered.

Of course I want the guns and swords as well since guns aren't going to be very power.

Mythical creatures and monsters also seems interesting to blend it together.

Magic on the other hand will be more like an lost art. But someone know how to use it and it has some diabolical powers.

What do you think?

Sounds fine, go for it. Fantasy doesn't need magic, it just needs imagination and the willingness to imagine a different world.

Thanks! I think I know what I can do with this.

Steampunk.... Ok, I'll start doing research on that.. Renaissance period seems an interesting age to do some research in, since the invention were so cool.

Anyone interested to correspond with me on this, or we could share ideas.. I'm all into that.:)

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I like muskets so my most recent WIP is centered on the first half of the 18th century for technology. I don't get to use steam but i can have telescope and flintlock rifles [very rare and expensive!]. And to fit in to the background of story [rationalism on the rise] my magic is very subtle.
So I would say do for it.
Gunpowder fantasy - i like that term!

My first thought was "Final Fantasy!" They frequently use guns and trains, although there is generally magick out the wazoo.

But then yes, "Steampunk" is the genre that you are looking for. It's a thing. Check it out.

Zero Angel: I actually also felt Final Fantasy is somewhat fitting to my world setting. The guns is a bit high tech, but I'm looking at guns more like a flintlock or matchlock guns..I might even want to put in ships that fly, using hot air balloons.. should be interesting.. but still in the planning..

Zander

Dreamer
It would be awesome. Deviations from traditional fantasy seem to be getting more and more popular, and it would be mad to have more in the way of semi-victorian steam punk worlds.