• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Faster More Accurate Writing With Text Expansion Software

I created a plethora of clever names and references for my story. Didn't invent a new language, but I did give people, places, things, deities and events non-english names. Not so clever as I thought. I can't always remember how to spell said names correctly. Though I can usually remember the first few letters accurately, but complete spelling? Not so much.

In a past life, when I use to code HTML, CSS and JavaScript for web pages, I had a handy little piece of software that allowed me to type a short bit of pre-defined text that would automatically expand into the full line of code that I needed. A light bulb went off in my head and I realized that text expander software could eliminate having to keep checking my story names list every time I needed to accurately retype a name.

I should mention that these software packages pretty much function system wide. They will expand any shortcut text you have created, in any typing program n on your system. Programs such as email, word processors, note taking and more.

My MacBook Pro has a limited built-in version that allows for text expansion, but it's not as powerful as I would like, and does not organize shortcuts very well. So I went searching for the software that I use to use and was thrilled to find that it was still around. Sadly it had become a subscription based software package.

I needed something that was free. Don't get me wrong, I'm not cheap, I'm just poor. I live on a disability cheque and there just isn't enough scratch for all the financial itches one finds in life. And so a-hunting I did go. Luckily I found one that fit my criteria. However, it is code based and required a little more work to get set up and running. Happily, It works for me, quite well actually. The Unicorn is pleased.

If you have problems, like I was having, with misspelled names or just want to have a quicker way to enter frequently used names and phrases, get to Googling "text expander software" and add the name of your operating software to the search. There are lots of options to choose from. So tallyho for now.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I dont know much about macs but i think this could be done with a macro in word… course you have to learn macros.

fortunately i dont have a lot of names i have to go look up. But i do have some. I dont always get away with not using notes.

In the good old days I might have tackled doing this with macScript, but I think it would have been a bit much for me now. Anyway I'm a much happier camper now that I have set up all my names in the software, Espanso. It makes life so much easier. I'm so easily distracted, this way I don't miss a beat. Need to keep my focus when I'm on a roll.:D

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Scrivener has an autocomplete function. I use it for a handful of names that have diacriticals, just so I don't have to type lovely combinations like Alt-0232 all the time. My other approach is to just type without the accented letters, then do a search-and-replace at the end of the project. Easy in theory. In practice, identifying end of project is harder than it looks. And I get into the habit of typing without the diacriticals and then I've used the name in ad copy or elsewhere and forget to do that replace.

I like your system-wide autocomplete approach because then it will work not only in Scrivener but in LibreOffice and Notepad++ and over in Excel and wherever else I might be typing something related to the story. Excuse me, I have to go shopping.

Scrivener has an autocomplete function. I use it for a handful of names that have diacriticals, just so I don't have to type lovely combinations like Alt-0232 all the time. My other approach is to just type without the accented letters, then do a search-and-replace at the end of the project. Easy in theory. In practice, identifying end of project is harder than it looks. And I get into the habit of typing without the diacriticals and then I've used the name in ad copy or elsewhere and forget to do that replace.

I like your system-wide autocomplete approach because then it will work not only in Scrivener but in LibreOffice and Notepad++ and over in Excel and wherever else I might be typing something related to the story. Excuse me, I have to go shopping.

Yes, yes! You make an excellent point about how the text expansion is useful in other applications being used to make notes or other records related the story. I don't have Scrivener, my main writing app is Highland 2. It has some handy functions, not so many that they distract me, but helpful for keeping track of links, word counts, in text notes, sidebar notes and a few more.

My biggest mistake, was to just start writing. The story lived in my head, I think it's a good one, but I have no formal creative writing education and after five chapters I started to flounder. So now I'm back-tracking, attempting to fill in the gaps in my formal education. Sort of a learn as you go experience.

Having software that helps get me thinking in a more organized fashion is essential. I've been spending time back at the beginning picking out ways to plot my story, develop my characters, do effective world building and keep track of research for the world I am creating. It's like reining in galloping ex-race horse and trying to teach it to walk.

I have done most everything in my life at least a little half-assed-backwards. A hazard of extreme A.D.D., I have learned to forgive myself for this and accept it as part of the way my overactive mind learns. Jumping in, realizing I'm in over my head and then going back to the beginning to initiate a more organized approach. It can be frustrating, but if I'm committed to getting something done right, its worth it.

Thats how I do it.
I don't think it was wrong to start writing it down, but without a background in creative writing, with no idea of how to structure a book, I got overwhelmed. I need to learn the basics. I already feel less overwhelmed now that I'm structuring my writing tools and my approach to plotting a story. The wild story in my head is being tamed into something more viable than my half-assed-backward ramblings. And I'm having fun!