FATHOM #1 - The Oni of Wankiboni

Discussion in 'Huntresses Attack Monsters!' started by Legendary Sidekick, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

At daybreak, the Maiden Voyage approaches a tropical island with a volcanic peak on the north end, a volcanic peak on the south end, and the red sun rising in between. This is the island of Roku-Roku. And judging by the ritualistic drums that sound off at the crack of dawn, it is safe to assume......no one sleeps late on the island of Roku-Roku.

Cap'n Peggy invites our heroines to disembark at their leisure. Most people are just starting to wake up, but the streets are far from empty. Many samurai guards are on patrol, wearing katanas at their hips and bows on their shoulders.

There are also cannons that could have blown the Maiden Voyage out of the water—many along the docks—surely more than our heroines are able to see, given the fortress-like stonework bordering much of the island.

Yet the nearest samurai bows politely, and makes sure the Maiden Voyage is docked safely. "Welcome to Roku-Roku," he says.

Our heroines have arrived on the west side of the island. The drumming is performed on the east side.

"They'll play again tomorrow," the samurai says assuringly, though without actually knowing whether our heroines wanted to witness the performance or not.

2. pmmg

pmmg Dark Lord

Reminds 'Lite of home. I hope there is war paint, and ritualistic dancing...Well...I'm off. standing in the street and looking unknowingly at many directions I may go. Its actually like no town I have ever seen, cause I have not seen many. Perhaps it would be just as well to wait for the others. Maybe we can all find something exciting in this exotic place.

So, Mr. Sam, she says. Why the war drums, and all the sturdy tubes ready to spray Greek fire? (Course, it probably sounds Greek to him).

3. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

Einin looks around in wide-eyed wonder as she disembarks the ship. This is unlike anything she's seen before -- the plants, the buildings, the people. She smiles as one man welcomes them. "Thank you."

4. Legendary Sidekick

The samurai introduces himself as Gorobe, then says, "Normally, we do not discuss such matters with tourists, but I think Captain Kanbe would not object in your case.

"The cannons and drums serve the same purpose: repel the leviathan. The Roku-Roken seers believe the leviathan is the chosen form of the demon Wankiboni."

Gorobe shrugs as he says the name.

5. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

Einin swivels her head toward the conversation about the leviathan. "A demon? What does it do?" Clearly bad things, or why would they need to repel it? But that could be a lot of things -- causing floods, driving away fish, even eating people.

6. pmmg

pmmg Dark Lord

Heh... Water...Monster...How hard can it be?

'Lite thinks back on days not so long ago when she decided an Axe was better than a sword.

[​IMG]

7. Legendary Sidekick

Gorobe replies, "It hasn't killed anyone yet. Capsized Rikichi's fishing boat, but he got away with mere scrapes and bruises."

When Xenalite mocks the challenge of facing a water monster, Gorobe says, "Tell me about it. It can't get us on land! It's huge enough to see coming, right?"

The samurai is pretty sure he's making an impression, but he is still on the clock.

"You know what, you ladies should check in with Shino. She's a shrine maiden, and likes to give huntresses a place to stay. All she asks in return is you see her fed, and take three- or four-hour shifts on night watch.

"Follow the drumming and you'll find her."

8. pmmg

pmmg Dark Lord

(Secretly, Xenalite hates the idea of fighting on water, and with a slimly fish thing, especially after her last encounter...., but if fighting on the water has ever taught her one thing, its how to hold ones breath...or at least, that what she tells herself).

Not that Sea Monsters are not fun, but.... you sure you don't have any monsters on land. Maybe a giant ape or a...Ya know, Poseidon gets really upset when you fight his sea monsters. Why do you think we have been on an island for so long...

9. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

Einin nods at the advice. "I'm sure we can do that. Thanks."

She starts toward the sound of drums, looking over her shoulder to see if the others are following.

10. pmmg

pmmg Dark Lord

Drums, I'm in...

So what did you do to make the Gods turn you into an owl?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  11. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

"Nothing." Her throat goes tight. Memories, a year old and still too fresh, wash over her. She wishes she could clench the fists she doesn't have.

"I was a healer in my village. A man died, and I couldn't save him... people thought I'd poisoned him. They ran me out of the village. I escaped to the sea. There was a cliff... no way down but to jump. I jumped, and prayed for safety, and the gods heard and gave me wings. I flew away and never looked back."

It hurts to relive it all, but at the same time it's nice to have someone who will listen.

12. pmmg

pmmg Dark Lord

Usually the Gods turn people into beasts or trees for not so noble reasons. Why the Nymph, Daphne, once turned down the advances of Apollo and when she ran she was turned into a laurel tree....which, considering, is a much better fate than my sister Medusa....

Ah, sister. A man died. Why let that burden you? Men serve little or no purpose. Why, once a man ventured onto our island, threatened our queen and killed a bunch of our sisters. We chased him off, and demanded punishment. But Zeus....a man...loved him and only punished him with 12 labors. Is there justice in that? That is why we pray to Hera and not her lout of a husband.

13. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

Einin looks surprised at the sentiment that men are useless. "We are all made in the image of the gods. Male and female alike. Both have value, and they complete each other."

"I have different gods than you... they have many names and faces. Mostly I follow Airmed, the goddess of healing. What sort of goddess is Hera?"

14. Legendary Sidekick

((Before our heroines head east...))

The samurai replies to Xenalite, "I think we missed that excitement by about 500 years. That is when Nukitsuke erupted. An army of oni ran out with the lava."

He explains that Nukitsuke is the volcano to the north, whereas Nukiuchi is the southern peak. It has never erupted, or at least not violently.

There are also some small fishing islands to the north, which is where those on the north end will flee should the oni return.

"Anf that is what disturbs me about Wankiboni's chosen form. Sure, he would gobble up the women and children as they escape. But the whole point of the escape plan is that the oni cannot swim. Water to oni is like lava to us, so how can an oni just choose a water form?"

He sees his rant is slowing his patrol, and if the captain catches him behind schedule, it's back to double-shift weekends—working himself cross-eyed while all his buddies are getting drunk and/or laid.

He bids our heroines see-ya-later and swiftly continues his watch, nearly bowling over an elder as he double-time-marches off.

Our heroines go on to discuss religion. It seems in Einin's Pantheon, the male and female gods each have roles as men and women do. In Xenalite's, it is known that Zeus is a remorseless prick. Many amazons empathize with his scorned wife, and there are many Athenians who emulate the warrior-goddess who takes no husband. Many of the Huntresses who have been to Themiscara are Artemesians, who are similarly independent of men.

((I'll give other PCs time to jump in before I move forward.

For now, you're crossing a tropical island over a slightly hilly path with no dwellings on it. When you reach the top, you can see a beach, and many rooftops between the hill and beach.))

15. Corwynn

Corwynn Lore Master

Wynry emerges from her room aboard the Maiden Voyage, now back to her usual self, to the sound of drums in the distance. She quickly emerges from the ship to investigate.

"Oh my", she says as she lays eyes on Roku-Roku, "I knew this place would be exotic. Not quite what I was expecting though."

Wynry eagerly begins exploring, flitting about the area, taking in all the exotic sights and sounds before she realizes she ought to meet up with the others. She begins asking locals if they have seen any strange people about (like her for instance), and if so, where they went.

16. Legendary Sidekick

The samurai says to the fairy, "I have a feeling the tall muscle-chick is the closest I'll get to meeting an ordinary woman for the remainder of my shift.

"She and a bird-lady headed to Asahi Beach."
    He points to a road leading east, squinting at the painfully bright morning glare, and says, "Just head straight for the sun, and you'll find 'em.

"Wait. With those buzzy little wings, you prob'ly could go literally to the sun. So I mean follow the road east.

"And don't tell your amazon friend I called her a muscle-chick. It's a compliment, but I hear women hate that. It's like the time I asked a nymph when her baby was due, and she wasn't pregnant. Didn't even have a boyfriend. So I asked her out. My eye was swollen shut for three days.

"Say, do you like fishing?"

A distant voice bellows, "GOROBE!"

"Coming Captain!"
    The samurai races toward wherever the voice came from.

Wynry could easily follow, as she flies faster than any man can run... but she's better off ignoring the men and catching up with her friends.

17. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Grandmaster

The sounds of drums bring Spinette round as she hangs in the corner where she's made her bed of webs. Her trophy now in it's case, webbed up and slightly askew. Crawling down out of her spot and grabbing her bag, she moves out of her room and looks around the rooms of the Maiden Voyage, not really seeing any of the others. Clambering up to the top deck she walks out to see the walls with canons on them and rubs her chin as she looks over it. Walls really meant little to the Arachne. Though to be on the not getting shot at side of things, she didn't test her luck with the guards and the big guns to scale it. She could do that later.

The humans certainly look different then the ones that drove her out of her home island, but as a monstress she is still has some trepidation towards it. It was humans and hunters that drove her and her family from the island after all. She eyes them all carefully, looking to find the others on her own. To do so, that means going up, so she goes up a nearby tree to search them out.

18. Legendary Sidekick

((SpinetteSpinette, though the samurai are not hostile, roll SHOOT DEF to see if you can make it to the road unseen.

1 = success since Gorobe is at the end of his shift and currently leaving the dock area.))

19. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Grandmaster

[​IMG]

((Itsy Bitsy goes on by.))

20. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Lore Master

Suny skips along following evey one else. She waves marrily to the large fellow wandering the beach. Before remembering something, spinning about and scamerping back aboard the ship where she hugs 'Peggy; and then 'Heph' before resuming her skipping after her friends, (^_^)

So... if you don't have a post. Alerts don't show up. That's a bother. :(

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018