1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

FATHOM #1 - The Oni of Wankiboni

Discussion in 'Huntresses Attack Monsters!' started by Legendary Sidekick, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

((Hmm... I think I'll heal three people. ^^))

2. Corwynn

Corwynn Troubadour

Wynry is knocked askew by the bolt of searing light coming from that peculiar weapon. The beam of sunlight coming from the hole in cave ceiling catches her eye. She flies into it to gain some momentary respite. The bright sunlight is blinding after the dimness of the cave. Once her eyes adjust, Wynry attempts to survey her surroundings.

3. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

When Wynry flies out of the cavern, she basically sees a long rock sticking a few feet out of the water. It's possible the cavern would flood at high tide, whenever that is... unless it's high tide now, of course.

Flying a little higher, the fairy sees a tent—apparently one used by samurai who guard the island. There doesn't seem to be anyone there now, but the tent is eerily familiar.

There isn't much else to see, other than a rapidly approaching shadow in the water. It looks way bigger than the ship the party sailed to get here.

Suddenly, there is a splash—a creature rises—

—it's the very same leviathan from the pearl's vision. In fact, the vision was not of yesterday at noon, but today…

What the vision did not reveal, however, was the voice in Wynry's head. It's a woman's voice, heard inside Wynry's little fairy brain, but clearly, this is the leviathan speaking to her:

"Oh, hello there, Gauche. Or is it Sacrebleu. Please, forgive me, Little Queen. I can never tell you two apart, but I did of course sense your crown... and I also sensed you felt rather agitated. Far more than usual. Did my niece go and slip on the rocks again?"

4. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny lies where she's fallen for a moment after the nasty weapon's effect washes over her.

"i faw down........... Go boom..."

5. pmmg

pmmg Auror

(I think what has been said is a wall of spikes is delaying the Oni, preventing them from coming forward...)

'Lite cracks her knuckles, and waits at a narrow passage between spikes, she lets the one who bares her icy axe lie between her and they. 'Well', she says, kicking apart some of the spikes trying to make a path for them, 'There is still room in Hades for more of you. Take it if you dare?'

...and then she gives a huff...seems a leviathan stole her thunder.

6. Legendary Sidekick

A few dare, though without their ability to surround and overwhelm the amazon, Xenalite will have no trouble grabbing the first, and the next, and the next...

((pmmgpmmg, go ahead an roll FIGHT ATK to add to your kill count. I'm assuming you're not letting them rush and attack the near-dead samurai, so only Xenalite can fight or shoot them.))

7. pmmg

pmmg Auror

"Lite gets into her head that wouldn't it be cool to kill the rest of them with the jaw bone of an...oni... Someone should write a story like that she thinks.

She tries it on the first....which becomes Yuck! She decides to resort back to just plain old, bone-snapping, Greek wrestling, and shows it off to the mostly unneeded Samurai.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Legendary Sidekick

One oni crawls over the dead, slips past the broken spikes, raises his blade—and before he knows what happened he becomes the party's 300th kill.

Four more attempt to avenge him... and are bent and broken in seconds flat. The rest back off, knowing that they are only stronger than our heroines as an army. Challenging an Amazon one at a time is suicide.

Kikuchiyo laughs, thrusting a chainsaw blade through the spiky wall. The wounded boy manages to slip a naginata through the spikes, hooking 'Lite's axe. He returns the axe to the Amazon.

Meanwhile, the captain thanks Einin for her spell, then adds, "I thought we were sure to take some losses. That cunning fairy... I don't know what she's doing out there." Kambei looks up through the narrow shaft (likely a hole created by the oni's strange beam-shooting device), but all he can see is darkness looming over the glow of the fairy. "Whatever she's up to, I get the feeling she has not abandoned us... not that I would blame her for flying to safety."

((Will give WynryWynry time to respond to the leviathan before pushing forward.))

9. Corwynn

Corwynn Troubadour

"Eh?', says Wynry, taken by surprise. "Er, no, this is Wynry. Sacrebleu gave me her cap. Or was it Gauche? I forget. The princess hasn't slipped on any rocks, at least not that I'm aware of. But I think she might be in danger all the same. There's an awful lot of oni down in that new volcano", she says pointing down. "We're having a bit of trouble with them. If you could help, we would really appreciate it."

10. Legendary Sidekick

The leviathan replies, "A third Queen? Or is it just the other two taking my sister's place? No matter, Miss Wynry. It is kind of you to look out for the Princess.

"I didn't think the oni would be back, after the way my sister handled them last time. I will demonstrate in a moment. Before I do, I should warn you that those humans I hear talking are likely to drown.

"Your crown, or cap as you call it, should help any non water-breathers. You are a water-breather as long as you wear the cap. I suppose your fellow Queen was worried about you.

"Oh... and where are my manners? I am Katrina. The Princess calls me Kitty."

Katrina gives Wynry a moment to either fly into the cavern or position herself to cast from above the cave. ((I'm fine with Wynry peering into the hole and casting, if she'd prefer to witness the leviathan's attack.))

Then she swims under and pounds her horned head against the outside of the tunnel several times. Oni do a hot-foot dance and squeal in terror as water trickles in through the cracks.

((WynryWynry , SunySuny , cast Magic Atk to help the others breathe.

You need to roll a total of 9—both rolls added together. If you fail to make the total, please tell me who you save first. If NPCs, something like "the boy" or "wounded samurai" will do. I don't expect you to know all their names.

I'll narrate after I get both rolls. The water isn't gushing in just yet, so you might get a second attempt.))

11. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

[​IMG]

:( I dun't think I is magic-in' gooder enough. :(

12. Corwynn

Corwynn Troubadour

"I had best get back then, before that happens. Thank you kindly, erm, Kitty."

Wynry dons the magic bathing cap before darting back into the hole. She attempts to summon her magic along with that contained in the crown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Legendary Sidekick

After a good pounding, the wall cracks—and the leviathan's head pokes into the tunnel! Kitty's enormous jaws snaps shut, crushing and devouring several oni at the rear flank. Water rushes in with her. In seconds, the flightless are forced to swim—

Six of the seven samurai are able to breathe, thanks to Suny and Wynry! Kikuchiyo and Xenalite have powerful limbs and lungs, though it's mostly their lungs that save them as the wave sends them tumbling through dying oni and an icy wall of spikes! (Fortunately, the bodies impaled on the spikes prevent the Amazon, samurai and nymph from taking serious injuries or worse.)

Einin is able to fly for a few seconds, but soon she too is envelopes in the rushing water, along with tiny Wynry. But thanks to the bathing cap, Wynry is able to breathe, and the magic even protects her delicate wings. Swimming feels as natural as flying to the fairy—though at the moment it's like flying through a hurricane.

Half a minute later, our heroines are on solid ground. There are several oni about... but they are in several pieces. The samurai all made it in one piece, though the weaker ones take another minute to arrive. The men may have drowned, if not for our heroines' magic.

((All 7 samurai survived!!!))

Kitty says to Wynry, "That is all I can do for you now, unless of course those demons were summoned by merfolk. But I suspect the summoner dwells on land, like the last one did.

"My sister took on her other form, hunted down the summoner, stayed among the humans... and eventually fell in love with one and bore his child. I respect her choice, but..."

The wateryshape of a woman (a naiad) steps out to the edge of the water in the flooded cavern. She remains ankle deep, and speaks so the whole party can hear her.

"If I leave the sea, I will become..."
    Pointing to Suny, she says, "Like you. You are surely a daughter of the sea, and your human-like form is lovely.

"But I am not ready to walk on land as you do... as my sister did. If I become flesh, the change cannot be undone."
    Taking a knee, she looks up at the fairy. "I don't suppose you'd be willing to find the one who summoned these demons."

14. Corwynn

Corwynn Troubadour

"Me?", replies Wynry, "well, I could certainly try. I couldn't ask you to give up your form. Why that would be like if had to give up my wings and be all human-sized, forever." Wynry shudders at the thought, causing some glittering fairy dust to shake from her wings.

"But... I'm afraid I don't have any idea who could have sent those monsters. But perhaps... maybe we could try scrying, like what the shrine maiden did earlier, although I'm afraid that's not really my area of expertise. We'd need a pool of clear, still water. I'm sure there must be one on this beach. Or maybe Beach Bum and I could make our own."

15. Legendary Sidekick

"Thank you for understanding, Wynry," Kitty replies.

The leviathan, in her current naiad form, could probably help make clear water. Her body practically is clear water at the moment.

However, she suggests a place that contains water that is not a person and has no dead demons floating in it.

"Not far from here is a place called Rainbow Falls. My sister rather enjoyed the view there. Though the waterfall is in constant motion, the water is quite calm on the opposing bank."

To Wynry specifically, she adds, "There may even be pools of water collected in the rocks that are suitable for you to swim in."

The young samurai says, "I know the place. Shall we lead the way?"

The captain replies, "Lead them, yes. But once the magic gives us the information we need, unless the location is obvious and close by, we may need to split up."

Unless anyone objects, the samurai are ready to lead the way to the north face of the mountain, downward to the calm water by the falls. It's about a 30 minute walk, according to the youngest samurai, or more like an hour according to Lt. Gorobei.

[​IMG]
    ((If the party goes here, Wynry and Suny can heal everyone to full health after the men leave.

Technically, you can heal the men using Sacrificial Maiden, and then heal yourselves using Artemisean Bath. No need to RP the healing, so we can focus the RP on the hunt for the summoner.))

16. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

That is, indeed, a very pretty looking place. :)

17. Legendary Sidekick

Our heroines head to the pretty-looking place. As for "scrying" on the enemy, without knowing who he is... Suny's pearl has already proven reliable in revealing the unknown.

((PeebothuhluPeebothuhlu, you can roll MAGIC ATK to use the pearl. You get 1 roll per day, so whatever number comes up will determine how much info you get. Because the pearl is "flawless"—you rolled a 5 when you found it—even rolling a 1 will result in a vision.))

18. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

[​IMG]

*Giggle* "I is gettin' all 'revealin', like."

:D

19. Legendary Sidekick

The magic is weak, yet the pearl manages to project a hazy image. It looks like everything is being viewed through a torrential downpour, yet the people in the illusory village are clearly dry.

Many are not people of Roku-Roku, judging by the various skin tones and hair colors. A man with a reddish-blonde beard is leading the other foreigners, saying, "On your left, you can see fishermen returning with full nets. On your right, you can see the Great Falls of Hum Ti..."

A man in the crowd interrupts, "What about Wankiboni's return? I paid fifty bucks for this damn tour, and I haven't seen a single oni. What a rip-off!"

The bearded man grins, but as he opens his mouth to speak, the vision becomes a silent fog, then clears away.

20. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny watches the image intently, though what transpores she obviously finds pzzling. Looking to the Samurai she asks.

"Does tha' place in'a magic look a-tall familiar?" She tilts her head.

"Does whut they wus wearin'be helpin' sort things out some. pr'apse?"