1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

FATHOM #1 - The Oni of Wankiboni

Discussion in 'Huntresses Attack Monsters!' started by Legendary Sidekick, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

((IrethIreth,

We can let CorwynnCorwynn reply to you in order to answer this, if you prefer, but let me know if there's any detail in particular you will pay attention to as you first fly out.

You can either narrate which detail you explore first, or even the first path you swoop along.))

2. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny is more inclined to do what she does best. TO randomly wander around so that she can see 'ALL THA' THINGS!' :D

*Though, while she is seemingly just randomly wndering about with no purpose other than to sate her desire to experiance as much a possibly..... Her hand absently holds the magic pearl which has been so useful.

[​IMG]

Maybe the magic of the pearl can do more than just show with pictures? Maybe the pearl can 'lead' itself and its holder to where the picture is most important?

Plus lookin' at all tha' things! :D

3. Legendary Sidekick

The pearl doesn't really lead Suny anywhere. Its magic needs to recharge overnight. However, as Suny skips past the waterfall (to her left as she crosses the bridge on its lowest floor—the one way you would go if skipping into town), her magic momentarily slows the flow. The water reaches out to her, but does not quite touch. It stops just a foot or two from the bridge, then resumes falling as before.

It seems the water is salty enough that an Oceanid can control the waterfall as easily as she can control ocean waves.

...or almost as easily. The water is falling, so there's still gravity to contend with. It's not like Suny could make the water flow up.

((Also, I added a spoiler tag to the top post so you can look at the image of Hum Ti. Note the waterfall starts higher than the lower walkway along the bridge. Not saying that's necessarily useful information, just that if the picture shows it, it's there.))

4. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

That is an amazing image/place.

5. Corwynn

Corwynn Troubadour

"That sounds like a splendid idea", Wynry says to Einin. "I'll take a look over there", she says, pointing above the roofs on the right side of the bridge, "and you fly up over there", she points to the other side. "Let's meet back here in a couple of minutes. Where did Beach Bum get to? Oh well, I'm sure she'll turn up again."

Wynry flies up above the right side of the complex to see what she can.

6. Legendary Sidekick

WynryWynry and EininEinin fly out to get a look at the town, then Wynry flies to her right over the north end...
    Wynry sees nothing on the rooftops, and pays little attention to the birds circling overhead—until one swoops down toward her!

((Roll SHOOT DEF (Reflex) to dodge the bird!

No attack roll, please. I mean, you can kill it if you want to, but just roll the defensive move first so I can narrate what happens when you dodge or fail to.))
    ...leaving the south end to Einin.
    Einin sees nothing of interest on the rooftops. However, as she flies over, she sees two teenage girls rushing up the stone steps from the socks to town. It's a steep climb, and the girls look winded, yet the two are climbing as hastily as their tired legs allow. One stumbles, and screams as she teeters toward the cliff's edge, arms flailing—

((Roll SHOOT DEF (Reflex) to swoop down and prevent the girl from a potentially deadly fall!))

7. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin dives toward the almost-falling girl, hoping to reach her fast enough to save her--

[​IMG]
    ((pardon the excessive number of rolls in the diceroom; I derped and forgot DEF doesn't combo! Hopefully just this one will do~))

8. Legendary Sidekick

((Yeah, you just needed to roll a 1. Feel free to narrate exactly what Einin does to save the child—a thin early/pre-teen girl who would have fallen off a stone stairway and into the bay or onto one of the covered boats, which could have led to injury and drowning without intervention. Had you rolled a zero, you still could have pulled her from the water and healed her. Einin is strong enough to carry the child in flight, but as I said, I'll leave it up to you whether she did that or nudged her or did whatever success looked like in your head as you rolled. Regardless, the kid is safe and unscathed. Neither girl needs healing.))

Einin swoops to the rescue and makes it just in time, saving the kid from certain injury or worse!

The other girl looks up at the bird woman and backs up against a rocky ledge. "Don't eat me!" she begs.

9. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin grabs the girl carefully by the arms with her feet and steers her back onto the ledge, then lets go and backs off. When the other girl reacts in fear, Einin winces a little and shakes her head. "I don't eat people. I help people. I'm a healer. Name's Einin -- pleased to meet you."

10. Legendary Sidekick

The girl listens with disbelief, then her eyes shift from Einin's eyes to the rescued friend—who is clearly unharmed by Einin's talons.

The one Einin rescued finally responds, "Yes, you really did help me. I would have fallen if you didn't..."

The one who was just begging for her life says, "Sorry. And thank you. Oh, and I am Sumire and the one you saved is Asagao. And you're clearly not the people-eater."

Asagao adds, "That's why were were running. We think there's a monster who eats people."

Sumire adds, "Not just kids, but like really tough people—people tougher than our samurai guards!"

11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin tilts her head. "What sort of monster? I've heard of the leviathan, even met her, but she's actually quite friendly."

12. Legendary Sidekick

Asagao says, "Oh, that's why Sumire kinda freaked when she saw you. We knew it wasn't the leviathan. If a leviathan wanted to eat someone, she wouldn't spit out the clothes."

Sumire says, "I guess the spider-woman is friendly too then? We heard about a bird-woman and spider-woman... nothing bad. We just thought... I mean, after we saw the..." The girl is apparently ashamed of suspecting Einin, even if just for a moment. She trails off—

—and finally her friend finishes her sentence. "Clothes. That's what we saw. We thought we'd get a glimpse of some of those Level 426 soldiers skinny-dipping."

"Not like we're weirdos. We just heard those guys are super muscular, and just... were curious."

"But I think something ate them, muscles and all."

13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

"Oh, you've heard of Spinette too? Aye, she's a friend of mine." Then she tilts her head the other way at the mention of empty clothes. "That's... not good. You two should keep on to wherever you're headed -- if you want me to come with you to make sure you don't fall again I will -- and then I'll head back to tell my friends about this."

14. Legendary Sidekick

"Yeah," Sumire says, "I'd feel much safer if you walked us home."

"I'm not worried about falling off a cliff again," Asagao adds. "But I'm scared the people-eater will find us, and we'll end up like those poor soldiers."

15. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

*Skippy, skippy, skippy, skip* :D

16. Legendary Sidekick

SunySuny skips on past the waterfall.

On the north end of the bridge, Suny notices a middle-aged woman peering out her front door. She is wearing an apron and carrying a wooden spoon, but for some reason hastaken a break from her baking to stare way down the street to the east... then way up the street to the west... then her eyes scan the bridge, where Suny and several others can be seen. But it seems none of the people on the bridge are the one(s) the woman is looking for.

17. Corwynn

Corwynn Troubadour

Wynry surveys the scene beneath her. She doesn't see anything out of the ordinary, at least not to her. What passes for normal to a Shimmerglade fairy and to a native of Roku-Roku may be rather different.

She hears a high-pitched scream and looks over in time to see Einin catch a girl who apparently was going to fall off a cliff. Distracted, she almost doesn't hear the whoosh of wings. She turns just in time to see a fierce-looking bird coming straight at her.

[​IMG]

Her honed reflexes allow her to dodge before the bird swoops through the space she occupied a moment before. Now alert, she tries to get a good look at the bird.

18. Legendary Sidekick

It turns out the bird is a raven, and a hungry one at that—but it swoops past Wynry, where a bigger pink, fleshy snack awaits—one that won't put up a fight.

Down by the water, there are other ravens. They are pulling human flesh out of some bluish-gray uniforms laid out on the rocky shore. There aren't any heads or skulls poking out of the shirts. Just flesh and blood and clothes, as far as the fairy can tell from her current vantage point (~30+ ft above).

19. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny bounces up to the lady and introduces herself brightly. (^_^)

She too glances up and down th street before asking the lady what it is she's looking for?

20. Legendary Sidekick

The woman introduces herself as "Mrs. Ichinose," and tells Suny, "I'm looking for my daughter, Sumire. She asked me to teach her friend my red bean cake recipe, but I'm not sure where those girls ran off to."