1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

FATHOM #1 - The Oni of Wankiboni

Discussion in 'Huntresses Attack Monsters!' started by Legendary Sidekick, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Corwynn

Corwynn Troubadour

Well, at least he didn't tell me to follow the first star on the right and go straight until morning, Wynry muses to herself, I hate that. Although, it helps that it already IS morning.

Wynry conjures up a tiny pair of sunglasses with gold frames and gold-tinted lenses to protect her eyes from the rising sun's glare, then flies east to catch up with her companions.

2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Arriving at the east coast of Roku-Roku, our heroines witness the sun rising over a red gate. The sunrise is almost aligned with the gate when looking at it from the end of the eastward road.

[​IMG]

The drummers have already dispersed from wherever they were playing. For a moment, it seems our heroines are the only living creatures along the rocky shore.

Then, not far from the red gate, something—or rather, someone—emerges from the water. She is a dark-haired woman, clad only in a sash with a stone knife tucked into it. She is carrying a wooden bucket, and does not seem to be embarrassed by her nakedness.

She fails to hide a curious glance at our heroines, and realizing she's staring, she bids a polite ohayo gozaimasu, followed by, "I mean... good morning."

3. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny brightly skips and then slapshes closer to the other lass.

"Hey-YA there!" She excalims loudly. Suny doesn't seem phased by either person's identical state of dress. She extends a tanned arm.

"I am bein' called 'Suny' in'a speakin' of tha' peoples!"
    The tanned nyph explains. "An' these are me freinds." She waves her other tanned arm to indicate the group still standing on shore.

Suny leans over/closer and peers into the bucket. "What cha' got in'a bucket? Is it finnys?" She enquires.

4. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin waves a wing politely as she approaches the lady in the water. "Hello!"

5. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

No idea what a 'Will save' or other 'Inteligence' based save might be.... but...

Seeing Einin coming closer Suny turns and begins to playfully scoop and splash water at her freind. (^_^)

6. Legendary Sidekick

The skin-diver laughs at the nymph's playfulness, then returns the harpy' wave. She shows Suny and Einin the contents of her bucket: seaweed and shellfish, including oysters.

"I am Shino, shrine maiden and pearl-diver. The drummers think their noise can scare sea monsters so I can take my morning swim in peace."

She points out two empty buckets and says, "I still have work to do before breakfast. You are welcome to join me."

She dives back in, and it looks like the water is twenty to thirty feet deep on the east side of the red gate. (Our non-fairy heroines were able to wade from the beach to the shrine.) Maybe the gate's a warning about the suddenly-deep water?

Anyway, Shino swims as gracefully as a mermaid, and doesn't seem fazed by the depth or the cold temperature of sea water early in the morning. (Suny would not find this strange, but other heroines might.)

7. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin yelps as Suny splashes her, and peers curiously into the bucket. "Are the pearls an offering to your gods?"

She tilts her head at the offer, then smiles ruefully. "I would, but owls aren't really built to swim." She's happy to watch, though, and wonders how Shino isn't bothered by the cold water.

8. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny quickly stops at Einin's reaction... even offering to try and pat the harpy's feathers down a little.

"Sowie..." She explains... a little sheepishly, it being obvious that the Nymph really wasn't thnking about her actions.
    At Shino's offer Suny nods and, grabbing an emtpy bucket, also dives beneath the waves after the other woman. (^_^)

9. Legendary Sidekick

((SunySuny, roll MAGIC ATK once.

The roll will determine your luck as you dive for oysters.))

10. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

(^_^) Okeys![​IMG]
    Iz at good?

Suny swims and frolics about with Shino as much as look for shinys laying about the place.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  11. Legendary Sidekick

((Yes. Very. Rolling a 5+ with three dice in this system is slightly less likely than rolling a natural 20.

Also, if Suny wants, she can make her leviathan dress into an Ama pearl diver's outfit, such as it is, and will it back to a dress when she's out of the water.))

Suny follows Shino into the water and does what she does. The difference is that the Shino is holding her breath during her dive.

When she comes up for air (after two full minutes!), she answers Einin's question: "Ishigami is my goddess. The pearls are connected to my service to her, but not as an offering.

"They help me to see, or at least the rarest of pearls do. But I have no way of knowing if I found the right pearl until I extract them."

She looks down into the water, surprised to see Suny still swimming. Her expression of concern turns to one of admiration when she sees that "she is able to stay under longer than any pearl diver I have ever known! Or... dolphin?"

When Suny does come up, Shino shows her how to open the oyster and remove the pearl without harming the creature.

When she sees Suny's pearl, she is even more impresssed with the nymph. "Uh... I think our work here is done. Please, join me at the Shrine of Ishigami."

12. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Hopefully Suny has more than just one shelly in the bucket. (^_~)

Surfacing with her bucket of shellys Suny presents her haul for Shino and her freinds to see. Upon being shown that there are shinys inside the shellys... Suny carefully lifts each shell out and gently tickles it in just the right spot to make it open enough to see what's inside and, if needs be, remove anything hidden within the folds of the shell. Are the oysters giggling at Suny's ministrations?

[​IMG]

"Ooo! Looky! There's shiny stuff in there!" Suny exclaims excitedly, pointing at one of the pearls revealed. "Is jus' like tha' shellys we be havin' back on'a home island!" She enthuses brightly. Suny looks to Shino.

"Whut does ye self be doin' wiff tha' shinys ye be findin' inside?" She asks inquisitivly. (^_^)

At Sino's suggesiton of joining her some where Suny nods and bounces in agreement.

13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin smiles and explains to Shino how Suny can stay underwater for so long. "She's a nymph; she was born to be in the sea."

She watches as Shino and Suny open their oysters, and smiles as apparently Suny has found a good one! "May I join you at the shrine? I'd like to learn more about what you do."

14. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny nods at Einin's explanation.. then stops and tilts her head.

"I wus born in'a island. Is where me Kin all be livin', like." She clarifies/explains, continuing to tickle open any remaining oysters while she talks...

15. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Hey, Why did you fly off? says 'Lite. And another thing about Zues, as so deceitful and lecherous is this God that he even attempts to fool unsuspecting good sisters as rays of light and....Zeus and Heracles!?! Look at those pearls? Are we going pearl diving? I am in. Why the very water itself looks like the mermaid's grotto.

She strips off her armor, and what all...and heads for the water. I don't have a knife with me, but sometimes, if you tickle them just right...

16. Legendary Sidekick

((XenaliteXenalite and anyone else can roll SHOOT ATK for hunter/gatherer skills. Only Suny rolls magic since she is basically using her powers over water to guide her search while swimming.))

17. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Hey, I got one...
    [​IMG]
    Oooo...Another
    [​IMG]
    I'll save this one for Hera
    [​IMG]
    This one fought a little, but I got it open....
    [​IMG]
    Hmmmm...there sure are a lot of them down there...
    [​IMG]
    Wow, that one is really big....I better get a spear...
    [​IMG]

18. Legendary Sidekick

Shino is ready to lead our heroines to the shrine, but sees that two of the foreigners are natural swimmers. She decides not to rush her unexpected guests away from the water. That would be rude.

Suny again uses her connection to the sea to seek a greater find. There is no second perfect pearl to be found, but she does find a shiny object. Unfortunately, it is under a stone. She lacks the strength to move it.

Xenalite is persistent, and while unable to find a prize like Suny's, she gathers enough oysters, mussels and razor clams that our heroines will eat well.

She does notice Suny's shiny object under a rock, and is the only one with the strength to budge it. ((FIGHT ATK dice for athletics; roll a 3. If fail, add 1 to the difficulty and reroll. So five retries max, since you can't possibly roll a 9.))

19. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Oh..., I would love to help my watery sister...

[​IMG]

Hera, that was heavy... Err...really heavy. All I could do was move it a little, but seems we can get the shiny thing now. The Nymphy one can take it if she wants it. Ahhh...I think I cut my hand on that rock, and salt water does not help.

20. Legendary Sidekick

((You can retry. This time, 4 = success.

If you fail again, reroll again:
    2nd retry = 5 needed
    3rd retry = 6 needed
    4th retry = 7 needed, ~1% chance of actually rolling 7
    5th retry = 8 needed, <0.1% chance of actually rolling 8

And at that point, we just take the advice of W.C. Fields: "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it."))