1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

FATHOM #1 - The Oni of Wankiboni

Discussion in 'Huntresses Attack Monsters!' started by Legendary Sidekick, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Shino points out the pathways between rows of flowers. "The path west, then north, leads to a hot spring. It is open to tourists, but tourists tend to visit the spring in late afternoon or evening."

Indeed, our heroines have the place to themselves, aside from a fifteen-year-old girl trying to look like she's not staring, and failing miserably.

"I am… M-Mamiko. Welcome to the, uh, Something Springs. How can I help you? Send for a medic, maybe?"

The girl has a bucket and sponge in her trembling hands.

Shino says, "Just put a closed sign up to keep the tourists away, and send for Captain Kanbe."

The Something Springs employee nods at the Shrine Maiden. Our heroines are free to bathe in the outdoor spring.

In the Bath…

Once everyone is in the bath, Shino gently stirs the water with one hand.

A phosphorous swirl lights the warm water. Those submerged can feel something pleasant, though the magic is not strong enough to heal wounds. It just numbs the pain at the moment.

"If any of you know healing magic, combine your magic with mine."

((No roll needed.))

2. Corwynn

Corwynn Troubadour

"Hmm?", says Wynry as she is disturbed from her reverie. She is floating lazily on the water's surface, enjoying the spring's warmth, specks of glittering fairy dust glinting in the water around her. "Oh, yes, I think I can help." She summons her magics and combines them with Shino's to help heal her fellow companions.

3. Legendary Sidekick

The combined magic not only makes the water the ideal temperature for a bath, but also, it purifies the water. All the blood and demon gunk dissolves into glowing cyan particles.

It will take a full hour before our heroines' wounds are healed completely. By combining their magic, the casters do not need to expend effort to maintain the constant healing effect. Wynry can go back to floating on the surface.

As for Shino, she decides to cast another spell—using Suny's pearl as the catalyst.

The pearl's aura expands, seems as a series of colorless waves that makes the world appear wavy… until our heroines cannot perceive much of their surroundings at all.

They feel themselves comfortably submerged in a hot bath. But what they see and hear is happening elsewhere.

At first, they only hear splashing—until the vision rises upward, revealing a part of Roku-Roku.

Shino's voice is heard over the vision. "I recognize that rock formation," she says of a tusk-like structure protruding from the sea. "This is the south end of Roku-Roku."

And judging by the position of the sun, what you are seeing may be happening right now—

4. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny sags as the threat fades, absently dropping the thing she's been waving about all this time. "That were heavy..."

Upon hearing about bathing Suny perks up a little and is happy to scamper along with every one towards the 'Bath-ing' place.

With no seemig thoughts or concerns the tanned Nymph quickly slips into the waters and simply sinks from sight.

[​IMG]

Suny simply 'Lets herself go'... Which also means her innate magical energies simply seep out into te waters surroudning her.

5. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin watches the vision shown by the pearl with wide eyes. "Is that the Leviathan?"

6. Legendary Sidekick

Shino replies, "It is consistent with the sightings. A few people mentioned the beard, including the princess. She calls the creature 'fluffy,' or so I'm told.

"The underwater cavern is likely a route to the volcano. And the tent near the cliff's edge belongs to Captain Kanbe."

7. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Oh, you all saw that too? I thought it might be like Delphi all over again, where the gods play tricks on our minds and make us think one thing when really something else entirely is going to transpire...and no matter the vision, I am not going to the festival of the satyrs wearing nothing but blindfold again... And as for sea serpents, they are best left to Poseidon. You wont catch me trying to fight one of those things again, I don't care how blessed they say the sword it, or how much wine I may have drunk at the Harvest Festival of Dionysus. Its a good thing Antioche had her spear or we might all have been eaten... No, don't go messing with the Gods and their pets, and don't believe their visions. Those priestesses, they are all breathing too many fumes from some strange place.

Course...I do still owe one of those beasts for the loss of Melanope's hand...and Carlista's foot... Um...do we have some wine? Maybe I will decide while I am thinking on it....

Did you say his name was Fluffy? Oh........ I think Poseidon's favorite eel is named Fluffy, and that ain't just no ordinary eel. Its a true monster.

8. Legendary Sidekick

Shino replies, "Well, Princess Atsuko named him that, according to one of her guardsmen."

Shino looks around at the group of women who saved her life.

"If it's wine you want, maybe I can get you a cushy job guarding the princess. I wouldn't ask you to battle the leviathan. I would be dead if not for your swift actions."

The shrine maiden did, in fact, rip an arm off at least three of her assaiants, including the gaijin. Yet it's clear she considers our heroines to be in another class. She looks at the fairy—her savior—with particular admiration, then goes on,

"If you are not interested in guarding a six-year-old princess, the vision did show the samurai captain's tent in the south. If you want to get involved in this leviathan business, I'm sure the samurai would welcome you."

((Possible destinations include:
    1. A castle, where you would have luxurious sleeping arrangements and a babysitting job(?)
    2. The area seen in your vision, which revealed a tent overlooking the leviathan's way in to the volcanic island
    3. There are other parts of the island where regular people go, and they probably aren't going to be ambushed by demons or water-dwelling monsters…))

9. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny bobs to the surface.

"I is all a ways happy ta' be meetin's peoples." (^_^)

10. Legendary Sidekick

Shino quietly replies to Suny, "I think the people of Roku-Roku will love to meet you to." But of course our heroines can enjoy a relaxing bath, as Shino did make arrangements with the staff.

Five blissful minutes pass—

"CAAAANNONNNN BALLLLLLLLL!"

A six-year-old girl charges toward the bath in a silk robe. As she leaps into the air, two streaks of fairy dust zip by the airborne child.

*SPLASH!*

The little girl splashes gleefully, and giggles when she sees her two fairy companions carrying her robe. One fairy is wearing only a bathing cap. The other is fully clothed in a tiny red, white and green jester's outfit. The copper bells on her hat jingle as she scolds the kid, "Princess or not, you can't do cannonballs in a public bath."

The naked fairy (who is shyly holding the corner of the child's robe in front of herself) adds, "Now what do you say to all these peoples who were TRYING to relax?"

Sheepishly, the child looks around at our heroines. "I'm sorry."

Fortunately for her, the magic of the purified water has dissolved all of the blood and chunks of dead demon. And fortunately for our heroines, they have all healed completely.

11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin raises a wing to shield herself from the splash, but she can't help but laugh at the little girl's joy. She smiles and nods in response to the apology. "Apology accepted; no harm done. You must be Princess Atsuko. Pleasure to meet you, Your Highness."

12. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Great Hera and Zeus. What the hades is that? I did not know they came in small sizes? Are they always so....rambunctious? And where are the bracers for this little sister? This is a princess? And those serve for guards? Unacceptable! What if a water demon suddenly returned? Where are you from? Who is your shieldmaiden? Do you always run about so freely? Heracles *gasp* i mean herring sauce. Forgive my harsh language.

13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin tilts her head at Xenalite. "You sound like you've never seen a child before."

14. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny is too busy playing and splashing about. (^_^)

*Giggle* (^_^)

15. Legendary Sidekick

The little princess nods at Einin, confirming she is Atsuko. She is obviously surprised by the harpy's appearance, and says the first thing about it that pops into her head: "Your feathers are pretty!" She giggles as Xenalite speaks. "Water demon? You mean Kitty! Kitty is my shield m…maiden?" The child seems confused by the terms, and flips herself upside down. With her rear momentarily out of the water, our heroines notice she is covered up in a loincloth with a rock tucked in at the hip. The rock resembles a pearl-diving knife, but it's likely a rock the girl found. She dips under and is amused by Suny. The child is able to stay under for quite some time, and when she does come up for air, her breathing is relaxed.

Shino introduces everyone, coincidentally(?) by height, finishing with the fairies: Gauche in the jester outfit and Sacrébleu in the bathing cap. She introduces Wynry last, telling the princess' fairy companions, "This fairy saved my life."

The fairies smile.

"Of course she did,"
    says Gauche.

Sacrébleu adds, "Big people always underestimate us."

Gauche asks, "Were you attacked by an Abominable Snowball?"

Again, Sacrébleu immediately chimes in, "I always wondered what you'd do against a creature with no arms to rip off."

Shino says in mock-defensiveness, "I ripped off three demon arms, but there must've been sixty of the little creeps."

The shield maiden's and fairies' expressions become serious for a moment. When the child is underwater again, the fairies explain their relationship to the girl.

"We're not guards," says Gauche.

"More like guardians," says Sacrébleu, and the two go on, finishing each other's sentences—

"We're actually even more like Queen and co-Queen—"

"I really don't need a title, Gauche."

"—until the kid's eighteen."

"Or sixteen?"

"Something-teen."

"Whatever age humans become Queen."

Gauche pauses as Atsuko comes up for air. Once the kid's under again, the fairies go on,

"We helped Shino and the samurai fight off a horde of oni five years ago."

"Only seven samurai survived."

"And us."

"And the kid."

"But not the King."

"That's like a male Queen."

"Atsuko's mother died giving birth."

"She was the actual Queen."

"So Atsuko never knew her real parents."

"So Gauche and I stuck around to raise the kid."

"We do get help from teenage human girls."

"And we actually ask the samurai captain to deal with some of the kingdom stuff that doesn't make a lick of sense to us."

"Like paying people."

"I know you humans are big, but doesn't carrying coins everywhere get annoying?"

As Gauche jingles her hat to emphasize how annoying coins must be, Shino says to the fairies, "We've been through this before, ladies. We are women. None of us are allowed to own coins."

The fairies look at each other.

Gauche says, "That is so fu—"

"Stupid,"
    says Sacrébleu.

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin beams at the little princess's compliment. "Thank you!"

She listens curiously to the two fairies, then comments, "I hear that up north in Barbieria the women are the only ones allowed to handle money, because they believe math is magic."

17. Corwynn

Corwynn Troubadour

Princess Atsuko's cannonball creates a miniature typhoon that hurls Wynry clear into the air. She manages to gain some lift with her wings and lowers herself back into the water gently.

"Oh please", says Wynry, blushing slightly at the others' complements, "it was nothing I don't usually do; and I did have a few lucky shots. I was simply the right fairy in the right place at the right time. Oh, and don't mind Badaxe over there", she says, gesturing toward Xenalite, "she's always ranting about something or other. Honestly, I don't understand half of what she says, it's all Greek to me." She turns to Shino, "but is it true that women can't own coins here? That sounds awfully inconvenient, and unfair. Say what you will I intend to carry coins wherever I please. Not that I have any at the moment, but still..."

18. Legendary Sidekick

Gauche and Sacrebleu flit over to Einin, hovering before her.

(Our heroines can't help but notice that these fairies habitually fly side-by-side, Gauche always positioned to the left of Sacrebleu. They also can't help but notice that Sacrebleu is wearing nothing but a bathing cap, but even after hanging up the princess' robe, the fairy still hasn't taken a dip. But anyway…)

The fairies contemplate Einin's words about Barbieria. Then as apparently usual, Gauche is the first to speak—

"Numbers ARE magic!"

—and Sacrebleu chimes in,

"For humans anyway."

"We saw it with our own eyes! The samurai captain would count—"

"Ichi! Ni! San!"

"—and all his men would do jumping jacks!"

Gauche starts doing jumping jacks in mid-air to demonstrate.

"Shi! Go! Roku!"

"Sacrebleu! That shit really works!"

"Shichi! Hachi! Kyuu!"

"No I mean STOP!"

"Jy—wh…what?"

The moment Sacrebleu stops counting, Gauche stops jumping-jacking.

"Yeah, please don't count like a samurai again. It makes my bells jingle, and I'm getting such a headache. I swear I hear these frigging bells in my sleep."

"We could switch crowns,"
    Sacrebleu offers. She looks like she's about to remove her bathing cap.

"Wait! Don't do that! If you remove your crown, you'll be naked."

Sacrebleu looks down at all her exposed skin. "Oh yeah. That would be embarrassing."

19. Legendary Sidekick

Shino replies to Wynry, "I'm afraid it is true. Royal women are the exception, but us commoners only get by on trade."

Gauche says, "Well, I'M with Wynry the Awesome Fairy Hero! No stupid law will stop ME from carrying coins!"

"No stupid law is,"
    Shino says. "You are the island queen. You can carry all the coins you want."

Gauche fist-pumps at this news. "Sacrebleu!"

"Yes, my liege?"

"How many coins do I want?"

"Probably one. A coin is bigger than our faces."

"Like bigger than my face, your face, or any average fairy's face?"

"No, more like bigger than both our faces combined."

"Oh. I want zero coins."

"Consider it done,"
    Sacrebleu says with a mid-air curtsy.

20. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Whatever do you...I mean...well of course I know what children...er...yes, they are small annoying humans...um...well, on the island, we amazons don't have...we live so long and have no...er.... Well, of course, she is a child.

And a princess, but I doubt she has been trained properly. Where are her weapons? Her bracers? Great Hera...ing, this land does not raise our sisters properly.

Can you wield a spear, little one? or a sword, or a shield?

And coins, on the island we have no need of coins, save to give to Charon. Trinkets for sailors who foolishly sail to close.