FATHOM Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Huntresses Attack Monsters!' started by Legendary Sidekick, May 14, 2018.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

All good… (hopefully all the weather will be good too).

Wynry actually rolled just enough to keep the NPC sword master from stealing the PCs' thunder. It buys you time, which can actually force me to change the next battle, depending how you use the time.

RP won't slow you down. I'm going to keep it simple and give you an idea of the layout and you move before the enemies do.

Short version of layout: there's the dome-shaped area you are in. Two tunnels, the left leading south (you're about as far south as you can get), the right leading north-west (which could lead to part of the volcano on the side facing civilization). And you can go back, out to the water, and head up the volcano from outside.

Any of these paths can branch, but you have seven locals who are grateful to the whole party—two risky ideas paid off; and two of you combo'd awesomely.

2. Legendary Sidekick

I wrote this when I posted earlier:

...but it occurred to me that by doing that, it seems I'm encouraging you to oppose the Amazon when in fact I'm not. So, adding battle music as soon as I have time to post...

3. pmmg

pmmg Dark Lord

No worries. Xenalite is a bit inconsideate of others apparently.

4. Legendary Sidekick

No biggie.

The music for the right path is Last Wave, and the left is Last Wave (Alt). So at the very least, the video is better in the left tunnel. The two videos also decided which event would happen in which tunnel.

I'll leave it at that for now...

5. Legendary Sidekick

For the curious, TMBG wrote a song called Last Wave while watching an Aerosmith-Run DMC video from the 80s. They unveiled the video (shown in-game) between sets at concerts this year, so I was watching that video. I was equally amused and confused.

6. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

I have returned! And posted in-game. :D

7. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Lore Master

Yay!

*Does hapy dance of returning*

:D

8. Legendary Sidekick

Hope you had fun!

Welcome back!

9. Legendary Sidekick

A heads-up...

This round: roll one attack as you would normally.

Future rounds: we'll do two rounds at a time. For attacking, you will either roll two attacks (an entire combo counts as one attack), or you roll one attack and change position. Only flying characters can move from front to rear in a single round.

For defense, those in the middle only need to defend vs. shoot once (as if demons shoot-reload-shoot...)

Ireth likes this.
  10. Legendary Sidekick

I suppose it could be argued that the middle group would still have to defend as often since both the front and rear oni are shooting... but I'll stand by my error since it's in your favor.

The idea is to try to keep the samurai alive, and it's easier to do that if there's a position the injured can retreat to. It helps that you took out the first two waves quickly. I didn't expect the second wave to go down that fast, so I added a morale bonus. (The two samurai who lost their "OK" status got it back.)

11. Legendary Sidekick

I'm keeping a body count on my iPhone's Notes app. So while "hundreds" seems vague, I am actually counting exact kills.

I am also rolling samurai, mercilessly letting dice decide their fates... it was possible for Shichiroji to die this double-round, but he parried both attacks. He did survive the movie, so I guess it's only fair he doesn't keel over in my game.

Without giving anything away, you're not trapped in a 15-round slug fest... yeah, I'll leave it at that for now.

12. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

I actually appreciate that Einin's kill count is so low and that she isn't perfect at defense either. She was never gonna match someone like Xenalite, but she's a healer, not a warrior. Of course she's less skilled in battle.

13. Legendary Sidekick

Still, I owe Wynry and Einin the temporary boosts on a future island. I already know what the next two islands are, and this choice doesn't have to be completely random. Suny's pearl can give a vision of one island.

And it's possible some of the samurai know about the islands to the east... of course, only a surviving samurai can tell you anything.

Oh... and Shino. You did save her from being killed, so even if all the samurai die (not likely--just saying) there is someone who saved who can give information.

14. Legendary Sidekick

Canada was fun, but I'm back!

I will wait for everyone to post as moving ahead could prove deadly for the samurai.

pmmgpmmg, attack again!
    PeebothuhluPeebothuhlu, attack twice. You're at the front line but can still cast magic from where you stand.
    CorwynnCorwynn, attack twice.

15. Legendary Sidekick

pmmgpmmg, not your fault. I decided to try double rounds so the battle wouldn't take too long. It won't, actually. I think your kill count on the front side is enough that you'll see what you're expected to do about the "hundreds" of oni—which is not to kill over 400 oni. That isn't possible.

Double rounds applies to defense as well, so you need to roll Fight Def twice if you're in a melee position. (Einin and Wynry are not, so they'll get shot at once.)

*I almost hit post with a typo: "they'll get shit at once."

16. Legendary Sidekick

Clever fairy... looks like fighters on the front only need to defend once after all. The wall prevents enemies from attacking in round 3 (but not round 2).

Ireth likes this.
  17. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Lore Master

May need to be botted atm. Sorry. :(

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  18. Legendary Sidekick

No problem—will roll for Suny and post. Thanks for telling me!

19. Legendary Sidekick

Rolled a 3, but wasn't about to steal Wynry's thunder. Used a combo to move Suny.

Also, you dropped the number from hundreds to scores. I'll tell you now—

666 demons were summoned. 100 fell in the first two waves, leaving 566 for this wave. 84 kills on each side drops the number from hundreds (283—half of 566) to scores (199 or less)... which is not to say scores of demons is possible to defeat, since most/all of you used up your free hits (the "OK").

A wall is another (better) way to stop the horde. I figured you'd either get enough kills or come up with a cool trap before players would get KO'd. Wasn't so sure about samurai, and they don't get KO'd—they die at zero HP!

Without Wynry's wall, Kikuchiyo would be down to 1hp. If you look at Rolz, you'll see a lot if lucky 2s for dice that say #e5... so I really do roll. (The order is almost in the order I listed the names, except I have Katsu 6th and Shichiroji 7th.) I just thought posting rolls for 7 NPCs would be confusing.

95 demons died on the front, and dozens died at the rear. If you kill enough or wall off the rear, no one will get hit and you save all seven samurai.

20. Legendary Sidekick

PeebothuhluPeebothuhlu, I bottled you, but if you are free to roll, go ahead. Odds are you will not roll worse than I did.

CorwynnCorwynn, if (as your first attack) you successfully roll a 3 to make another wall at the rear, feel free to shoot fairy arrows past either wall for your second attack. There's no reason a tiny fairy would have trouble shooting through gaps as wide as prison bars. It would be like a human shooting into an alley.